Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
plantation owner energy except temporarily embarrassed

Danann posted:

can't wait for vietnam to beat france and italy in terms of ships constructed

pretty soon they will be erasing economies of scale from the lib-econs 101 textbooks

Palladium has issued a correction as of 06:44 on May 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
in-depth look at india's economy in light of the election. seems not good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zt1ZYzWP7k

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

crepeface posted:

why not text though

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's an interview/presentation and sometimes they show data/charts as part of it

they usually have transcripts up on the website after tho

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://x.com/TheNewsAgents/status/1791500008253981078

dude in this video has a georgian tatt with nato and eu filling in two of the smaller quadrants lmao
georgians are cooked

edit:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
nothing less than survival of georgian democracy at stake..hmm

https://x.com/lewis_goodall/status/1723350189698699365

oh lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He sucks and yet he's still far better than his British colleagues because he occasionally forgets his place and questions stuff

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I read an explanation why China has token so much ship building market share from Japan in just a few years.

Outside of China produces the most steel, Japan's currency is connected to the dollar in the back end. So when the USD has high interest rate, it's impossible for a lot of production industries to have higher profit margin than plain old interest rate in USD. If the money men can freely trade their yen to the USD and let it sit in the bank to earn money faster, they would rather do that than build things day in and day out to compete with China and Korea.

However when the USD eventually go back to the low interest phase, you can't really flip a switch to get your market share back, because market share is not liquid. Brand royalty is real and people have brand and country royalty to lot of stuff especially in large expensive things. Boom bust cycle that is ultimately propelled by the USD and the Feds artificially also is damaging to people's engineer careers who can't flip a switch and change to a different job.

I don't know why SK's ship building industry can keep up with China, maybe it's more of a state capitalist economy than we think.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 12:46 on May 19, 2024

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't know why SK's ship building industry can keep up with China, maybe it's more of a state capitalist economy than we think.

SK and Japan are both very much state capitalist economies.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
South Korea and Japan are US vassals it makes sense that imperial shipbuilding should be concentrated there.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stephenthinkpad posted:

Brand royalty is real and people have brand and country royalty to lot of stuff especially in large expensive things

nah

its because once you lose your experienced and skilled industrial talent in a neolib economy you are never gonna get them back

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Palladium posted:

nah

its because once you lose your experienced and skilled industrial talent in a neolib economy you are never gonna get them back

That too. But brand royalty is also real. I argue it is more prevalent in professional products than consumer products.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

stephenthinkpad posted:

That too. But brand royalty is also real. I argue it is more prevalent in professional products than consumer products.

because professional products are tools, and nobody wants to relearn how to use/deal with their tools that they use to do their job. consumer products are basically toys so new features and flashy things that you wont care about in a week are part of the fun

if someone can sell you a tool that you're pretty sure will be functionally the same but cheaper, brand loyalty for that professional product will not survive long term

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Stringent posted:

SK and Japan are both very much state capitalist economies.

Can you give some examples of Japanese state intervention in manufacturing? Off the top of my head I can only remember the Japanese government brought out and consolidated all waning LCD display makers into one display company called Japan Display about 10 years ago when Japanese screens were getting killed by Samsung/LG OLED panels.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah they did

They passed it but the president vetoed it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

stephenthinkpad posted:

Can you give some examples of Japanese state intervention in manufacturing? Off the top of my head I can only remember the Japanese government brought out and consolidated all waning LCD display makers into one display company called Japan Display about 10 years ago when Japanese screens were getting killed by Samsung/LG OLED panels.

I'm not an expert or anything, so I don't know any examples of direct intervention, but the vast majority of Japanese heavy manufacturing is still held by the rumps of the zaibatsu, Mitsubishi being the most notable one, but the others that mostly went into banking and real estate still have significant investments. But yeah, like you mentioned, maintaining the Japanese domestic market through tariffs to protect domestic manufacturers has been business as usual since the end of WW2, as well as pretty much all domestic government contracts.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oglethorpe posted:

They passed it but the president vetoed it

Pretty sure that the governing parliament has enough to override it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Honest Thief posted:

https://x.com/TheNewsAgents/status/1791500008253981078

dude in this video has a georgian tatt with nato and eu filling in two of the smaller quadrants lmao
georgians are cooked

edit:

lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

so did they override the French presidents veto yet?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

i got to experience the money burning thing when i was with my gf's family in rural yunnan during the spring festival. she grew up in a prison because her dad was a guard. the prison's long been shut down but some of the employee families still live on the grounds of the otherwise abandoned administrative complex and do subsistence farming. her dad, for instance, grew mint for the market and raised chickens (i had to hold a chicken my first day there while he drained the blood from it via it's neck. i thought it was dead until it suddenly revived. i dropped it like a bitch and it knocked over the blood bowl, ran around a bunch with it's head dangling nearly off, then dropped dead), among other things. anyways, we went out to the mound where her grandma was buried, in the middle of some field the prisoners would have worked back in the day, and what they do is they clear all the grass and weeds off with a scythe, burn some incense, burn some of that paper money, lay out some food and alcohol for her and so on. they also burn some stuff for a local mountain goddess that also has a shrine there. very interesting to see up close, but gently caress was it cold and the house didn't have any kind of heating. spent the entire time doing chores, it's not as fun as stardew valley makes it look.

hmmm interesting would your gfs father be interested in doing an interview with me for this article im writing about an extremely balanced and non prejudicial interpretation of how the chinese penal system works

ill start by asking him how many men he shot just to watch them die

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I know you're doing a bit but we stopped dating after I moved from Shenzhen to Guangzhou. You can interview the girl who mailed me a box of lychees

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Can't spell Georgia without NATO

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

crepeface posted:

my rightwing friends think the economy is secondary to protecting our civilizational values.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

my rightwing friends think the economy is secondary to protecting our civilizational values.

they're right

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mantis42 posted:

I know you're doing a bit but we stopped dating after I moved from Shenzhen to Guangzhou. You can interview the girl who mailed me a box of lychees

you live in guangzhou now?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yes. I have for a few months. I don't think it should affect the thing you messaged me about, if that's the problem.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

it is

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/qwardtk/status/1792093447857545243?t=1nz6IWaEFS9J1ZEZ3BiAKw&s=19

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://twitter.com/ShaykhSulaiman/status/1792235159560798502?t=qQ6D0rXYGZo2Evk_Q6HpLw&s=19

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
RIP

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Time and place of Israel's choosing has arrived I guess.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I appreciate that you can pretty much pick out any astroturfed Western backed attempt at fomenting domestic upheaval/a color revolution because they immediately start quoting Star Wars or Harry Potter or doing some Hunger Games poo poo. Zelensky and Israel do that poo poo all the time too.
I mean I guess it makes sense, it's all for the consumption of baby brained liberals in the West.

Gazans should chant “One Way Out”

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I remember this from 2020

https://twitter.com/bbgoriginals/status/1316662977794396161?t=AJG9Pt7DH__idgBeSeEIjg&s=19

that duck
Mar 23, 2013

Danann posted:

the future of the neoliberal vassals is to be capable of only exporting raw resources and low value goods lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We're ruining our rivers for that loving cotton lol

growing cottons rice and almonds in a loving desert

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://x.com/Politiko_Ph/status/1789926453766676850

the liberal party is now such a rump entity that it's considering not running for district-level House seats and will instead aim for the party-list representation section, which would grant it a possible three seats in the lower chamber under the best possible circumstances

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
https://www.reuters.com/pictures/architecture-control-north-koreas-bizarre-post-modern-cityscapes-2024-05-19/

the photos in this are really cool, big lol at reuters calling it bizarre

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

how dare they have a water park

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that looks suspiciously like normal people living normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

very bizarre... i thought north korea had no electricity and they lived like savages