Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Are the JJTrek movies an alternate universe? Like there's TOS and then they go through the black hole and it's all different? I guess I just don't understand what Spock Prime is supposed to be. Is he meant to be TOS Spock? Or is it literally just a way to get Nimoy into the movie(s)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's an alternate universe and old Spock came over from the original universe.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

myron cope posted:

Are the JJTrek movies an alternate universe? Like there's TOS and then they go through the black hole and it's all different? I guess I just don't understand what Spock Prime is supposed to be. Is he meant to be TOS Spock? Or is it literally just a way to get Nimoy into the movie(s)?
It's an alternate universe until you point out a continuity error, at which point it's a re-imagining until you point out the lack of imagination, at which point it's an alternate universe.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

Errbody else in this thread will be all "ugh, another REHASH" but I will be legitimately excited if we get to see Borg in the TOS setting of the JJTrek movies.

The Romulan ship from the first movie was supposed to be Borgified, so you already sort of have.

I honestly wouldn't mind them doing a Borg movie (I thought First Contact was pretty good for a TNG action episode) but there's nothing to indicate it'll be as well written.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Shadeoses posted:

What are the good episodes? I've only seen it intermittently, and they all seem to be Janeway Is Stupid, Aliens of the Week, and Oh No Borg :geno:

Equinox, Year of Hell, Message in a Bottle are a few. I don't know the episodes by name like I do TNG or to a lesser extent DS9. I haven't even seen every Voyager episode either, I've been watching some the last couple days and it isn't so bad. It has the advantage of being free on startrek.com too so thats a nice bonus.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Shadeoses posted:

What are the good episodes? I've only seen it intermittently, and they all seem to be Janeway Is Stupid, Aliens of the Week, and Oh No Borg :geno:

In no particular order, as I recall them. (D) for The Doctor, because Robert Picardo is awesome! :iia:

Pathfinder is unique because it's mostly about Barclay, the neurotic dude from TNG.

• Equinox
  • The Scorpion
  • Year of Hell
  • Tsunkatse
  • Fair Trade
  • Pathfinder
  • Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy (D)
  • Message in a Bottle (D)
  • Life Line (D)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Veotax posted:

It's an alternate universe and old Spock came over from the original universe.

OK that's what I thought but I wasn't 100% sure. I liked the movies, but I've only seen all of TNG. Only a few TOS episodes and I'm into season... 2 of DS9 but now I'm on a breaking bad detour.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Note how everybody just comes up with a few episodes in a show that has over 170 episodes.

Some of those you might even hate like Year of Hell due to its ending.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Thom12255 posted:

Does anyone else really enjoy Vic Fontaine's singing on DS9? His screentime gets a lot of criticism but his voice is so smooth.

I do. When I was younger, I wasn't a fan. I thought it wasn't Trek, that Vic was a gimmick. I'd ask myself, "Why do they need a bar inside of a bar"? It didn't make sense to me.

Then I rewatched the series when I was older, and saw how they used the character. He was an outside observer, not only to Starfleet, not only to DS9, but to the entire future. He could give commentary on a situation with complete disconnection. I don't think "It's Only a Paper Moon" would have been nearly as effective if Nog had used a random escapist holodeck program. If it had been him vs Ezri, it might have worked, especially if done over a couple of episodes, but Star Trek (and TV as a whole) wasn't ready for arcs like that. "It's Only a Paper Moon" makes the whole Vic Fontaine premise for me.

As an added bonus, without Vic Fontaine, we wouldn't have gotten a singing Sisko at all.

And I will be that terrible ball and chain. Watch Star Trek. Watch it all. The BIJ of terrible Trek is what makes the standouts even better. Star Trek is more than a TV show, it's a snapshot of how TV was made in a particular era. "The Best of Both Worlds" loses some of it's impact without "Family". Not just from a storytelling standpoint, but from a TV standpoint. Watching TV storytelling change from TNG->DS9->Voy->Ent is a lot of fun.

Besides, it makes it easier to tell others exactly why Voyager is worst Trek. Experience BIJ

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Forget Voyager, why the hell isn't TAS in the OP? :colbert:

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Trickjaw posted:

Tell me, what does bundying mean? Is it some obscure Australian footie thing? All I can think of is Al Bundy.

Leave with haste, basically. My interpretation is that workers used a 'bundy clock' to sign on and off work, so when it was time to go home, you'd clock off and get the gently caress out without a second thought, 'to bundy', which is now used everywhere when it's time to leave without looking back

Urbandictionary is not helping me out here!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Man, I'm halfway through DS9 and I'm having a blast watching it with my wife. I was watching the show using a skip guide to get through season 1-2 (I know, I know) but now I like the show so much I think I'll go back and watch those episodes.

The OP has me worried, I was sorta looking forward to voyager since DS9 turned out much better than I expected.

edit: all the trek movies I don't like aren't canon and take place in an alternate reality :colbert:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 23, 2013

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Bolian Blues posted:

Forget Voyager, why the hell isn't TAS in the OP? :colbert:

There is no fork in TAS.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight City posted:

Some of those you might even hate like Year of Hell due to its ending.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

This is my new favorite gif. :allears:

That reminds me, once I've finally caught up with my weekly tv shows and netflix queue, I'm going to start a rewatch of Voyager. I need more Bij.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I was so excited for Year of Hell because the friend who got me watching would constantly tell me how great it was. After it was over I had to reassess even being friends with him anymore.

:woop: Consequences!
:woop: Character growth!
:bang: You son of a loving bitch

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Oh no Keiko's possessed by the devil! :ohdear:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tighclops posted:

The Romulan ship from the first movie was supposed to be Borgified, so you already sort of have.

I honestly wouldn't mind them doing a Borg movie (I thought First Contact was pretty good for a TNG action episode) but there's nothing to indicate it'll be as well written.

That's not the same at all. :( Although now that I'm thinking about how the Klingons were handled in STID I'm not sure I want that anymore.

I do still, however, eventually want a JJverse version of TNG.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

That's not the same at all. :( Although now that I'm thinking about how the Klingons were handled in STID I'm not sure I want that anymore.

Impossible. There would be no time for a JJPicard speech or musing on the nature of humanity before the next action sequence. Also Data transforms into a 2010 Mustang now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tighclops posted:

Impossible. There would be no time for a JJPicard speech or musing on the nature of humanity before the next action sequence. Also Data transforms into a 2010 Mustang now.

Well, under a different creative team, obviously. Mostly I'm just interested to see who might get cast in an undertaking like that.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

DrNutt posted:

JJverse Enterprise-D was captained by crazy hobo Riker. The movies are actually prequels.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

LeafyOrb posted:

JJverse Enterprise-D was captained by crazy hobo Riker. The movies are actually prequels.

It's real!

:edit: :stare: VVVVV

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 23, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Trent posted:

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I'll never be able to watch Rascals again.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Shadeoses posted:

I have no idea which episode it is since I haven't seen Voyager in over 10 years, but the one where the Doctor programs a family for himself in the holodeck is one of the only episodes I can remember liking.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
I'd really enjoy a TNG-style show. We've had about a decade now of the darkest most grim TV almost imaginable, and while Battlestar at its peak was fantastic, I wouldn't mind something a little more optimistic right about now. Something with a bit of substance, even if they can't find a cast that can deliver Picard power speeches (hint: they probably won't but I will hope). I'm not talking blind HEY NOTHING IS WRONG optimism or anything nuts like that, just a brighter outlook on what we can look forward to.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"their DNA structure is now consistent with those of pre-adolescents"

JESUS gently caress STAR TREK

I'm watching it now. Why did 600 year old Guinan de-age just like two humans and a Bajoran?

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 23, 2013

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I want JMS to be given a billion dollars to remake Babylon 5 with modern tech and a huge per episode budget.

That is my dream sci-fi TV show. Considering Babylon 5 is lost to history compared to something recognizable like Trek (hell, B5 isn't even on Netflix or any streaming services I know of), and the brand kind of poisoned it's own well with all the TV movies not called "In the Beginning" and a horrid spin-off show, I highly fuckin' doubt this is ever gonna happen.

If we are making a new Trek then a The Next Next Generation will be good enough I guess. Do you think that it's even possible to make a show in the original continuity, since the new universe is what most youngsters know about?

My point is Babylon 5 is the poo poo and I should start watching it for a 3rd time.

Damo fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 23, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Dark One posted:

I'll never be able to watch Rascals again.

Oh god, I'd forgotten about that. :gonk:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Damo posted:

I want JMS to be given a billion dollars to remake Babylon 5 with modern tech and a huge per episode budget.

That is my dream sci-fi TV show. Considering Babylon 5 is lost to history compared to something recognizable like Trek (hell, B5 isn't even on Netflix or any streaming services I know of) I highly fuckin' doubt this is ever gonna happen.

If we are making a new Trek then a The Next Next Generation will be good enough I guess. Do you think that it's even possible to make a show in the original continuity, since the new universe is what most youngsters know about?

My point is Babylon 5 is the poo poo and I should start watching it for a 3rd time.
While I suppose there's an internet selection effect I actually can't turn around without people praising Babylon 5 to the skies, or perhaps the space skies, so it certainly doesn't seem FORGOTTEN.

I still want Excelsior with gay Sulu captain though :mad:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
My point with that is that the average 15 year old these days has heard of Star Trek, and they would have even without the JJ movies, given the power of the brand and it's influenced on pop culture and sci-fi in general, while Babylon 5? Not so much. Not exactly a household name you can count on to convince TV execs to break out the cash for a pilot/series.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

The old thread closed before I had a chance to ask the question, but as far as this thing goes: http://www.themarysue.com/new-trek-tv-possibility/ is it the same thing as that kickstarter that was going around that had the backing of some of the show actors or is this something else?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Damo posted:

That is my dream sci-fi TV show. Considering Babylon 5 is lost to history compared to something recognizable like Trek (hell, B5 isn't even on Netflix or any streaming services I know of) I highly fuckin' doubt this is ever gonna happen.

You can blame Warner for being shitheads for this, when Hulu first started they had a deal to broadcast the first 2 seasons and then promptly hosed off the entire thing afterwards. The only way to watch any B5 online (legally anyways) is to watch those same 2 first seasons - available only on the WB website.

I dunno, I don't think Babylon 5 was really all that good - they had a great 3rd and 4th season but everything else is a giant pile of poo poo to me. The cast was just really weak to me and the quality of the show is basically held up by Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik. Also I think I would have trouble watching any scenes with Jeff Conaway nowadays knowing how much of an addict he was and how it destroyed his life.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

I've seen most of B5 and all of Voyager and I don't get this reference??
e: although I was like 13 when I watched B5, I need to redownload it

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

SuperDucky posted:

It's not B5, it's the ending to the Year of Hell where all the changes to the show in the previous 2 episodes had literally gotten reset and it was back to status quo for the next episode.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

SuperDucky posted:

It's Voyager crashing into the Krenim Timeship at the end of Year of Hell. Voyager was renowned for its insane reset button no matter the carnage that was caused in the previous episode, and destroying the Timeship was a literal, designed reset button for the galactic timeline.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Hyperriker posted:

I'd really enjoy a TNG-style show. We've had about a decade now of the darkest most grim TV almost imaginable, and while Battlestar at its peak was fantastic, I wouldn't mind something a little more optimistic right about now. Something with a bit of substance, even if they can't find a cast that can deliver Picard power speeches (hint: they probably won't but I will hope). I'm not talking blind HEY NOTHING IS WRONG optimism or anything nuts like that, just a brighter outlook on what we can look forward to.

I said this in the last thread, but a show about the early days of human space colonization, with a "pioneer" spirit and a sense of adventure and scientific progress would be a great "realistic" space sci-fi show. You could have lots of sciencey exploration with manned missions to Europa, Titan, Jupiter and Mars, and lots of adventure and intrigue with space colony/Earth politics, corporations mining the asteroid belt, and pioneer groups building O'Neill cylinders in fringes of the Solar System. It'd be optimistic because it presumes a future where people have risen above earthly problems like Climate change and are freely exploring the solar system, but also realistic because it'd take in all the concerns and conflicts of a pioneer society.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1st AD posted:

It's not B5, it's the ending to the Year of Hell where all the changes to the show in the previous 2 episodes had literally gotten reset and it was back to status quo for the next episode.

And that's why Year of Hell is simultaneously the best Voyager arc, but also the worst. It teases us with what it could have, and should have been and then taunts us by hitting the reset button, literally and figuratively. God, gently caress Voyager.

The way Voyager should have been, in my opinion, is like this:

Me, in two incarnations of these threads ago posted:

Janeway is an inexperienced First Officer given a CV-padding cushy job on a science vessel, the Captain dies and she has to form an alliance with the Maquis captain. Voyager uses retrofitted technology scavenged from the Maquis ship, most of which are stolen black market tech and heads to the Gamma Quadrant, where Acting-Captain Janeway knows a stable wormhole to the Alpha Quadrant exists. The first half of the series is set in the Delta Quadrant, with simmering tensions between the hardliner Maquis and the Federation and Federation-converted, resulting in an attempted mutiny. The second half is set in the Gamma Quadrant, which would be right in the middle of the Dominion War, and Voyager has to fight its way through to the Wormhole, while getting assistance from rebel anti-Dominion factions as well as the convenient appearance of the Borg, who have managed to track the USS Voyager to Dominion space, indirectly running interference for them. Get them back to Federation space about 2 or 3 episodes before the series final, and actually show the consequences of their long absence - a formal investigation into their 7-year disappearance, passengers like 7 of 9 and Icheb that they picked up on the way coming to terms with life in the Federation proper, Janeway facing up to the fact that several families are broken because of events that happened on her watch, whether or not the Maquis will be facing charges and how they handle the news that not only are all the other Maquis pretty much dead, their cause is completely pointless now because the Cardassian homeworld is also a burnt up wreck.

Re: the various Delta Quadrant species, I also believe what they really should have done was to have it so that they'd either deliberately downgraded their technology to just being able to fly in space and maybe low-speed warp, so the Borg will just simply ignore them or for them to exist in huge mobile fleets that scavenge and manage to largely evade the Borg in the same way a large shoal of fish evades a predator.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I think it's time for Gary Seven to finally get his spin-off show.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

The way Voyager should have been, in my opinion, is like this:

I don't even know what half of that means since I've only watched Voyager so far but I'm 100% sure it would make a better show.

• Locked thread