Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
carbon free lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

J Corp posted:

"Welp, nuclear power is too dangerous and damaging to humanity, better commit genocide instead."

Seriously shut up you loving moron.

Yes because nuclear power is totally a magic catch all solution and not a pipe dream continuously plugged by nerds that haven't actually looked at the logistics of it.

Guess what; you're never going to solve the worlds energy problems unless you come up with some magical infinite source of energy that produces no pollution, doesn't gently caress up the environment in fueling it, and can also be set up everywhere. All the problems related to consumption will still exist. All the third world nations that can't build their fancy nuclear power plants and rely on belching coal will still exist too.

I would know, I used to think exactly like all you nuclear power nuts. Then I did significant research into it for environmental science and realized poo poo, this isn't the magical panacea for the worlds problems after all.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 3, 2014

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Neptr posted:

I love the idea that people are afraid of nuclear meltdown and places being uninhabitable for 50 years yet surface coal mines are okay and not at all uninhabitable.

this is genius, we can just use old surface mines as dumping grounds for nuclear waste

2 birds 1 stone

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Hobohemian posted:

We get it, you love the idea of a continent of black people living in abject poverty for all eternity. How are white people so dumb?

they live like that because we want their natural resources to keep our techno-spectacles going, and in return we give their leaders guns to stay in power and their populations our garbage to search for scrap in :D

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes because nuclear power is totally a magic catch all solution and not a pipe dream continuously plugged by nerds that haven't actually looked at the logistics of it.

You realize we use nuclear power right? It's not like a made up thing. It happens.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Internet Kraken posted:

What part of nuclear isn't sustainable with current tech? Waste disposal is the only real problem at the moment.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
If you dump a nuclear power station in the middle of South Sudan it'll power all those isolated villages because nuclear power is wireless you fuckin dummy

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

butplug accident posted:

since most of the current proposals for dealing with highly radioactive nuclear waste involve burying it in deep underground sites, the storage containers, the store itself, or the surrounding rocks will offer little protection to stop radioactivity from escaping into groundwater or air in the longterm. and dont forget that decommissioning nuclear facilities will also create large amounts of radioactive wastes. all the world's nuclear sites will require monitoring and protection for centuries after they are closed down. the solution to these problems is to not create any waste in the first place, by reducing human population levels and limiting the production of gadgets, gizmos, and other useless commodities

We are designing storage locations to last up to 10,000 years. This analysis also takes into account a container leaking into the groundwater, and showing that those dose levels are safe. If we still exist then I'm sure we will figure out a way to reprocess it. Also yeah we should limit our energy consumption, or at least slow down its ridiculous growth rate, but that isn't going to happen.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

butplug accident posted:

we should just limit so-called growth

butplug accident posted:

reasonable person: why are we using so much power anyway. do we really need all this consumer crap

lol @ your worldview

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage
Here's a big nuclear crybaby with very little understanding of LFTR basically giving it the ok if we can't get wind and solar off the ground. Hell, some of the "cons" he lists about that type of reactor are wrong, and said just to make it look worse.

(Spoiler Alert: Wind and Solar are not viable options you stupid hippies.)

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
don't worry, the boffins have assured us that this time all the bugs have been ironed out. their robes are white instead of brown with a cross now and even though i dont understand their technical gobbledygook i skimmed wikipedia and saw that episode of bullshit, so i know in my heart that it's safe

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Sacro posted:

lol @ your worldview

It's distinctly white. They come in, gently caress everything up for everyone, then feel guilty about it and start overcompensating.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

butplug accident posted:

reasonable person: why are we using so much power anyway. do we really need all this consumer crap

Do you hand wash your clothes?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Guess what; you're never going to solve the worlds energy problems unless you come up with some magical infinite source of energy that produces no pollution, doesn't gently caress up the environment in fueling it, and can also be set up everywhere. All the problems related to consumption will still exist. All the third world nations that can't build their fancy nuclear power plants and rely on belching coal will still exist too.

the main problem with nuke is high initial capital investment for current designs and uncertainty about future energy demand a single unit actually produces too much power so the risk of loss is greater. small designs should be morr aggressively pursued

anyway the real problem of generation is not capacity but responding to variable load nuke vs coal vs gas vs renewables is a red herring all of them are necessary getting the ratio right is the problem

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Crewmine posted:

If you dump a nuclear power station in the middle of South Sudan it'll power all those isolated villages because nuclear power is wireless you fuckin dummy

whats this got to do with anything? why would you put a nuke station in the middle of no where?

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

fuicking yeah savin this pic

i agree with everyone itt

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

J Corp posted:

Here's a big nuclear crybaby with very little understanding of LFTR basically giving it the ok if we can't get wind and solar off the ground. Hell, some of the "cons" he lists about that type of reactor are wrong, and said just to make it look worse.

(Spoiler Alert: Wind and Solar are not viable options you stupid hippies.)

I've read dozens of articles both in favor and support of nuclear power, you're not telling me anything I don't already know buddy.

How about you look at it this way; corporations love to cut corners. They will work around regulations all the time just to save some cash. Now imagine if we were throwing up nuclear power plants all over the place. You think they are all gonna be state of the art, high tech technological marvels? No. Some greedy gently caress is going to try to save a few bucks and gently caress everything up. Nuclear power is not idiot proof, nor greed proof.

Don't point out that oil and coal are even more destructive either. Yes, they suck. That's why we need to get rid of them.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

rcman50166 posted:

whats this got to do with anything? why would you put a nuke station in the middle of no where?

to provide power to villagers you fuckin idiot how else are they gonna get it

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

butplug accident posted:

don't worry, the boffins have assured us that this time all the bugs have been ironed out. their robes are white instead of brown with a cross now and even though i dont understand their technical gobbledygook i skimmed wikipedia and saw that episode of bullshit, so i know in my heart that it's safe

There are still a lot of bugs to work out with LFTR, but it's not receiving any research funding like pipe dream photo-voltaic gets. The biggest 'shut up idiot' thing about MSR's is that we ran a small one for over 4 years in 60's and it pretty much confirmed almost everything they thought would happen.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
and don't say solar power

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

how do we prevent lovely countries like all the moslem countries from creating nukes while maintaining the guise of alternative energy?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Internet Kraken posted:

I've read dozens of articles both in favor and support of nuclear power, you're not telling me anything I don't already know buddy.

How about you look at it this way; corporations love to cut corners. They will work around regulations all the time just to save some cash. Now imagine if we were throwing up nuclear power plants all over the place. You think they are all gonna be state of the art, high tech technological marvels? No. Some greedy gently caress is going to try to save a few bucks and gently caress everything up. Nuclear power is not idiot proof, nor greed proof.

Don't point out that oil and coal are even more destructive either. Yes, they suck. That's why we need to get rid of them.

i dont get it, power companies already do own nuclear plants. adding more of them doesnt make it more likely for someone to gently caress it up, statistics and the industry doesnt work that way

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Internet Kraken posted:

You know if you killed yourself we wouldn't need as much power. Why don't you do your part in cleaning up this mess you caused.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Crewmine posted:

to provide power to villagers you fuckin idiot how else are they gonna get it

you aint going to use something with those kinds of power output levels. the plant would go bankrupt in a few weeks

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

rcman50166 posted:

i dont get it, power companies already do own nuclear plants. adding more of them doesnt make it more likely for someone to gently caress it up, statistics and the industry doesnt work that way

If nuclear power was going to fuel the world way more power plants would need to be built, by different corporations and also in places where the level of expertise is significantly lower. This isn't rocket science.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Internet Kraken posted:

If nuclear power was going to fuel the world way more power plants would need to be built, by different corporations and also in places where the level of expertise is significantly lower. This isn't rocket science.

I like how you just make things up in order to justify your doomsday fantasies. Oh god, what if dragons get into the plant, how could we stop a meltdown!!!!!!!!

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

wind & solar energy are completely viable and are better than nuke power, thank

edit: god bless

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Luckily with an inherently safe design like LFTR, you literally can't have a meltdown if something goes wrong. There's almost no pressure in the reactor; the hotter it gets, the less power it makes; and if somehow it does get too hot, an ice plug melts, gravity takes over and dumps the thorium blanket into a separate containment area, stopping the reaction dead.

Also, maybe in all your research you missed the part about the ridiculously heavy regulation involved in nuclear power.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Internet Kraken posted:

regulations and standards go up as something inherently dangerous becomes more present. like i said, the industry doesn't work that way

also having one plant having a chance of release in a year being 1% doesn't mean 100 plants of the same risk have a 100% chance.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

J Corp posted:

Luckily with an inherently safe design like LFTR, you literally can't have a meltdown if something goes wrong. There's almost no pressure in the reactor; the hotter it gets, the less power it makes; and if somehow it does get too hot, an ice plug melts, gravity takes over and dumps the thorium blanket into a separate containment area, stopping the reaction dead.

Also, maybe in all your research you missed the part about the ridiculously heavy regulation involved in nuclear power.

His research was typing "nuclear" into the search bar on the huffington post.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

lol

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
all the arguments in favor of nuclear power necessarily ignores the reality beyond the apprehension of the average white middle-class science cheerleader who fantasizes about loving robot maids. they said the same thing about ddt and eugenics

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

millennials literally have the most retarded unrealistic world views and I thank gently caress every day that baby boomers are still running this world.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

butplug accident posted:

all the arguments in favor of nuclear power necessarily ignores the reality beyond the apprehension of the average white middle-class science cheerleader who fantasizes about loving robot maids. they said the same thing about ddt and eugenics

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Hobohemian posted:

I like how you just make things up in order to justify your doomsday fantasies. Oh god, what if dragons get into the plant, how could we stop a meltdown!!!!!!!!

Sorry you can't use your brain to think about the actual logistics of running the world with nuclear power. Lets just pretend everything will work out just dandy and nobody will do what humans have been shown to do over and over! :downs:

rcman50166 posted:

regulations and standards go up as something inherently dangerous becomes more present. like i said, the industry doesn't work that way

also having one plant having a chance of release in a year being 1% doesn't mean 100 plants of the same risk have a 100% chance.

You really don't get it do you? You do realize regulations and standards don't mean anything when they aren't enforced properly? But you're right, corporations never cut corners to save cash. That's why the BP oil spill never occurred.

This is why its impossible to never talk to nerds about nuclear power. You close yourselves off to reality to maintain the illusion that your miracle power source can save the world.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

butplug accident posted:

implying it will be easier to convince entire nations of people who currently enjoy modern convenience to give it all up rather than watch the planet burn in 4K high def lol

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

Neptr posted:

I propose that nuclear plants are run by the military - they have experience with nuclear power and we don't have to worry about them being underfunded. The people that run them may be undereducated, tho

Ah yes the US Military, a frugal bunch well known for I can't even finish typing this

You're not wrong about them being the most qualified though, the Navy does a pretty good job with their nuke subs

Internet Kraken posted:

Sorry you can't use your brain to think about the actual logistics of running the world with nuclear power. Lets just pretend everything will work out just dandy and nobody will do what humans have been shown to do over and over! :downs:

We can never get better at things or design things more safely so we might as well not even try right? We used to think tube-and-post wiring was a good idea and a shitload of houses burned down but now we have good solid electrical standards that are nearly impossible to circumvent because of strictly enforced building codes and rigorous inspections.

Internet Kraken posted:

You really don't get it do you? You do realize regulations and standards don't mean anything when they aren't enforced properly? But you're right, corporations never cut corners to save cash. That's why the BP oil spill never occurred.

This whole line of argument is moot because corporations don't want to build more nuclear power plants because oil/gas/coal is still a better ROI.

Hesh Ballantine fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 3, 2014

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

hey guys, we should create roads with solar panel hexagons

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Ah yes the US Military, a frugal bunch well known for I can't even finish typing this

You're not wrong about them being the most qualified though, the Navy does a pretty good job with their nuke subs

didn't the Airforce accidentally drop a nuke on America in the 70s or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

attach a machine to every mans peen at birth so whenever they jo it stores the static charge and a series of tubes brings the charge back to a central power station, free energy

• Locked thread