Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

jony ive aces posted:

and to move or remove start tiles there used to be this weird right-click menu thing that worked ok but had completely different interface principles to every other windows thing ever made. i think they only fixed that really recently

Having devoted 100% of my windows 8 time actively avoiding TileWorld I would not know thisl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
the tile moving thing actually kind of made sense as a touch ui i guess

but my win8 computer is a desktop running a purportedly "desktop" operating system :mad:

a rad dink
May 28, 2006

take me to your peener
i kind of feel sorry for all the really smart people that worked hard as hell and weathered endless interviews to get a job at microsoft only to realize that nothing they do at that company matters in the least

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

wisdom from cuntripper

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Millstone posted:

You know what else. Is a waste of. Time. Having your goddman start menu cover your whole screen when you search for poo poo. Remember win 8.0 update 0 where you had to. Manually select apps, settings or whatever category to search in? When since like VISTA it was automatic? Lol ballmer

remember? lol no i am still using 7

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
windows vista was actually a good operation system

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

Kirk posted:

wisdom from cuntripper

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Phoenixan posted:

i thought it was at the time but actually it was a 'piece of poo poo'

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
w8 is ok except when you press the wrong thing by mistake and you get some Metro thing pop up

a rad dink
May 28, 2006

take me to your peener
windows 8 is ok so long as you do everything exactly right all the time. windows doesn't have time for your newbie poo poo

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

loving noobs get off the typer get good

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

my stepdads beer posted:

i thought it was at the time but actually it was a 'piece of poo poo'
yes, was a good operation system until 7 came out

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
windows 9 from outer space

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Symbolic Butt posted:

windows 9 from bell labs

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Tarlach posted:

i kind of feel sorry for all the really smart people

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Tarlach posted:

i kind of feel sorry for all the really smart people that worked hard as hell and weathered endless interviews to get a job at microsoft only to realize that nothing they do at that company matters in the least

they should have known what they signed up for when they applied to microsoft research

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
they should make it like yosemite when you press the shortcut for search and a bar just shows up in the middle of the screen

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
never install version zero or version 1 of any new operating system.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

os x didn't really start to be acceptable until around 10.3

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i thought 10.4 was the first usable osx

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phoenixan posted:

i thought 10.4 was the first usable osx

10.3 had safari, but 10.4 had spotlight

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

computer parts posted:

10.3 had safari, but 10.4 had spotlight

i still use quicksilver

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

rotor posted:

i still use quicksilver

the real curmudgeon answer is LaunchBar

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

rotor posted:

never install an operating system.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

jony ive aces posted:

and they were going to go even further with reimplementing windows 95 features in 8.1 or 8.2 for free but then were like "fuckit we'll just put these in windows 9 so people actually have a reason to buy it"

This is why the took the start menu out of 8 so people would beg for it to be added back in 9 and then when they brought it back they would stick in some advertisements and people wouldn't care because they are so glad to have their start menu back instead of having an apps page like in 8.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

are the ads for a free version or everyone lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
please

please use our app store

it's right here, you can access it in 2 ways as seen in this screenshot

just *cough wheeze* please buy.. *cough cough* our apps please

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

theadder posted:

everyone lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
also i realize that this os is still on tablets but why do you still need 2 loving places to edit your settings

they have both control panel & pc settings there

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Mad Man Pusco posted:

This is why the took the start menu out of 8 so people would beg for it to be added back in 9 and then when they brought it back they would stick in some advertisements and people wouldn't care because they are so glad to have their start menu back instead of having an apps page like in 8.

ah the new coke method

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Tarlach posted:

microsoft is definitely as organized as the nazis

fyi, the nazis were spectacularly disorganized

shut up fishme.......oh, it's not fishmech!

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

suffix posted:

they should have known what they signed up for when they applied to microsoft research

actually from what i gather microsoft research is like the only place at microsoft where you DO work on cool stuff that matters

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

matters to whom, the PR team that will parade your garbage around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

matters to whom, the PR team that will parade your garbage around?

at microsoft research?

i'm not sure if you guys are using that term correctly, "microsoft research" isn't product research, it's basically like google labs.

for example, the microsoft surface table that was like $15,000 and took up an entire room and was p awesome, that came out of microsoft research. the microsoft surface tablet that makes you want to dance and click in, that did not.

• Locked thread