Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Cool, a patch! Still not online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Upon booting the game, it's always offline for me, but after a race of two it connects behind-the-scenes and is good to go.
It's not a perfect thing, but at least I do end up online after a spell.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Just got home & sent a request; PSN: bobcarr72

Meliv posted:

Can't get online but

SA: Meliv
PS: Meliv23

edit: invites are out to you two and JingleBellsUK, apparently join requests just give me a quick way to send invites.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 12, 2014

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

edit: invites are out to you two and JingleBellsUK, apparently join requests just give me a quick way to send invites.

Off of work at 6am CST; hopefully I can actually connect to accept.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Feenix posted:

Cool, a patch! Still not online.

We're going to need a bigger patch.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
One thing that has me slightly conflicted is that I REALLY like the steering-wheel-interior view. (Especially with all HUD off. No nothing. Not even a map.

However, I was starting to feel like the game was rather flat and washed out. Come to realize, that if you take the camera out of the car, things are much more vibrant (realism of a less than perfectly clean windshield mucking up your view, I suppose.)

Game looks better outside. Game feels better inside.

Hey Club let's hit level 10 I want that BAC MONO! ;)

Good work so far though! ;)

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Feenix posted:

One thing that has me slightly conflicted is that I REALLY like the steering-wheel-interior view. (Especially with all HUD off. No nothing. Not even a map.

However, I was starting to feel like the game was rather flat and washed out. Come to realize, that if you take the camera out of the car, things are much more vibrant (realism of a less than perfectly clean windshield mucking up your view, I suppose.)

Game looks better outside. Game feels better inside.

Hey Club let's hit level 10 I want that BAC MONO! ;)

Good work so far though! ;)

Yeah, I was able to stay connected so I did a bunch of the tour stuff since the accolades give a ton of exp to the club. I ended up being able to get us a level and a half or so earlier today.

Dox023 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 12, 2014

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Hey I was able to get online with this game... kinda. If anyone is able to get a club invite to send, PSN: ceeg88

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The online being hosed has greatly slowed my progress in single player because there are cars I need to unlock with Club levels because the driver level ones I have are a bit too slow for the competition :( Might just go back and clean up some early accolades or something.

Other than that I'm loving the game.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I really enjoy the handling in this. Even the little Mini and Beetle are fun to drive. Haven't got very far as I've been a bit busy but, I'll gladly start a club for goons once the servers are stable and can get online.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
I was trying to register a club but apparently the word turbo isn't allowed. How does that make sense?

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog

Feenix posted:

I really like the interior view too, but my god - the loving reflections of your dashboard in the window are annoying.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

The online being hosed has greatly slowed my progress in single player because there are cars I need to unlock with Club levels because the driver level ones I have are a bit too slow for the competition :(
I'm still trying to decide whether the AI is 'cheating' or if I'm just a bad driver, it does seem like they are able to go much faster than me off the line or get much better speed boosts from drafting than I do, even when they're in exactly the same car as I am.

On a similar matter, are there any decent resources out there for learning race-theory? I'm not positive how exactly I'm meant to be approaching corners, and this game certainly doesn't seem interested in teaching me. It would certainly help with those Tour Time Trial challenges that I'm still 3 or more seconds behind the target on.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I'm off from work for 10 weeks and I have bought Driveclub. I'll take an invite if anyone has a slot left. PSN: Happy_Hedonist

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aishan posted:

I'm still trying to decide whether the AI is 'cheating' or if I'm just a bad driver, it does seem like they are able to go much faster than me off the line or get much better speed boosts from drafting than I do, even when they're in exactly the same car as I am.

On a similar matter, are there any decent resources out there for learning race-theory? I'm not positive how exactly I'm meant to be approaching corners, and this game certainly doesn't seem interested in teaching me. It would certainly help with those Tour Time Trial challenges that I'm still 3 or more seconds behind the target on.

Outside of a turn to the apex/ inside of a corner, back to outside. This minimizes braking and turning needs and keeps a maximum potential speed.

When racing, the blue dotted line cornering challenges are evidence/teaching of that principle.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Still can't connect.

I swear, Driveclub is doing its best to become the first game I've purchased on PS4 that I regret doing so.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Looking to join a club if anyone has an opening. PSN KnifeySmurf

WhiteHalo117
Jul 5, 2013

Surprise!!!
SA: WhiteHalo117
PSN: Whitehalo117

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

That's it, I give up on this lovely, lovely AI. Since I can't connect for the life of me (save for once on Friday when I made a club), I've been stuck doing the single-player and it's just becoming infuriating how little respect the AI has for the physical space of your car. They'll ram like motherfuckers as if you aren't even there and then you get dinged for it.

Seriously, there's zero attempt to do anything but sit in the racing line even if you've earned it and then chill there. Not since GT1 have I seen AI this bad. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's the worst competitive AI ever seen in a racing game. It's infuriating that they can play bumper cars and you end up getting the Fame hit for it. I'm really, really disappointed in Evolution; they had plenty of time to make something that felt truly next-gen, when in fact the other cars on the track are driven by drooling assholes that will happily run you off the road.

But hey, sure is pretty! :haw:

Will Of The Wisp
Jan 27, 2009
I want to buy this game, but I'm a little worried that whatever multiplayer/network design they have - can't and will not be fixed by just increasing number of servers. And changing that whole concept so they can get this game work online will cripple whatever the core experience was ment to be.

Oh well, guess i'll be waiting for the free ps+ version.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
The game let me start a club today but still no leaderboards. Pretty disappointing.

The game itself seems fun but ever since Forza 2, leaderboards are a required part of the core experience in a console racing game.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Any update on when or if the free version is available?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
On the subject of the 'mindless' AI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKNHjNDhwIo

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aishan posted:

On the subject of the 'mindless' AI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKNHjNDhwIo

I posted that before as well (in the PS4 thread) but I will agree, in motion, the cars feel no hesitation in pushing you around a LOT.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Aishan posted:

If they didn't build a collision avoidance system into the routines, there would be a literal 12 car pile-up every time a driver at the head of the pack spun out, so the first 5 minutes of that video are pointless. The rest shows a bunch of high-speed sections and cuts off before more technical turns where overtakes are more possible. As soon as you throw a series of chicanes in, or a hairpin after a long straight, you can see how the AI will literally bumper car you out of the way.

Aishan, if you're curious about some of the details of the line and why it's so important, this little page does a pretty good job of explaining the mechanics. What makes racing so much fun is in how different cars handle maintaining that line. Since the game isn't a sim, it's not going to overtly punish gunning a RWD car through a corner, it'll let you actually kick the back out a little without spinning out, even if the way those cars should be driven is braking in a straight line, pointing the car through the apex and then giving it the gusto to maximize all that power coming from the rear tires. Driveclub doesn't seem to mind letting you pick a MR car and put it up against a bunch of RWD or AWD cars, but thanks to weight distribution and power, how those different cars handle that same corner can be wildly different, and I was trying to bear that in mind during my little rant.

I will say this: Rush, Ron Howard's movie about Niki Lauda and James Hunt's rivalry in the 70s, was on HBO last night, and after watching it I had an itch to tear around some tracks. When I fired up Driveclub, those first few races were so drat immersive from the cockpit view. It really was a blast thanks to the game's sense of speed.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 13, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The core gameplay is pretty great and thusly I am trying very hard to be patient and understanding and NOT take it out on the game.

The devs however, need to get their poo poo together.

The last update was 3 days ago.

It has been 7 days since the game launched and I've had about 1 hour (in tens of offline) where I was able to play online or do anything online-ish.

I realize it's the weekend and all that stuff, but when you're in crisis mode like this, you should probably call some folks in on pay and a half to work round the clock to resolve it. And if they DID have people working on this all weekend, even worse... because nothing got resolved and no one had any updates for us.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
They say there's going to be another update today: https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/521615423603998720

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I have not gotten online since the day I joined Ghost Squad :/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aishan posted:

They say there's going to be another update today: https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/521615423603998720

When they say "update" they tend to mean they will write something on Facebook. Most of their "updates" have been to just keep us informed that poo poo is still hosed. I expect poo poo is still hosed and today's "update" will be so kind as to inform us of that.

While I'm griping about idiotic moves, how about how my game was able to connect online just long enough to register what my Club Livery is, showing me the paint and badge right there in my game, and yet I cannot choose it because "you are not connected to the servers."

Dummies.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Twibbit posted:

I have not gotten online since the day I joined Ghost Squad :/

Same, but I couldn't even get online to accept my invitation Friday. Weak.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I'm going to get Evil Within tomorrow and not touch this game until it's fixed. I've reached the point where i can't get Accolades in certain events because i'm locked out of the better cars because they unlock with Club Levels and i can't connect at all to even join a club.

Honesty, i think that anyone who bought/pre-ordered the game should get their money back or get a whole bunch of free DLC. The online simply doesn't work and it's a massive part of the game.

Gothmog
Aug 27, 2003

I'm a mental patient. I'm supposed to act out.
I just requested a refund and they honored it. Oh well. Probably won't be re-buying it unfortunately. At this point it's more of a bad taste in my mouth kinda thing than any true dissatisfaction with the driving.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Gothmog posted:

I just requested a refund and they honored it. Oh well. Probably won't be re-buying it unfortunately. At this point it's more of a bad taste in my mouth kinda thing than any true dissatisfaction with the driving.

Not that I'm advocating shadiness, but can you check and see if you can still play it? The one time I got a refund (and part of the reason they are so hesitant) is that they can't actually revoke the license for you. I got a refund on that horrible Basement Crawl game for PS4 and could play it (not that I wanted to) for who knows how long. Maybe forever...

Gothmog
Aug 27, 2003

I'm a mental patient. I'm supposed to act out.

Feenix posted:

Not that I'm advocating shadiness, but can you check and see if you can still play it? The one time I got a refund (and part of the reason they are so hesitant) is that they can't actually revoke the license for you. I got a refund on that horrible Basement Crawl game for PS4 and could play it (not that I wanted to) for who knows how long. Maybe forever...

I'll check when I get home, although I have refunded games before. My son accidentally bought NHL15 and I was able to get it refunded. The game now shows up as expired on 9/18/14 which was the day I refunded it. Then again it shows up as a service rather than a game.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
SA: Pen Expers PSN: Pushbot

Since this game doesn't seem to have any kind of tutorials in it and I'm basically new to sim-style racers, is there another game out there I could be playing while this is still offline that could teach me the basics? I'm used to arcadey racers like split second and burnout.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

SamBishop posted:

the game's sense of speed.
Wait, it has that? Every vid I've seen of the game has been slow as gently caress.

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
BUTTCLUB is now set to open. It's mainly geared toward BUTT clan BF4 goons/Moon Wizard Alpha Destiny goons, but right now there's no plus version. Ideal krew for casual players/terrible drivers. No tryhards or meanies allowed.

also, feel free to add me on psn: chamber9verse32

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Great Joe posted:

Wait, it has that? Every vid I've seen of the game has been slow as gently caress.

Not sure what videos you're watching, but even the hatchbacks feel more speedy and fun than in most other racers.

I will admit that prior to launch I did find watching "other people race" via video was kind of boring.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Feenix posted:

most other racers
Last time I saw this, it was constrained to "Forza 5 and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" so I'm gonna need some titles here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Great Joe posted:

Last time I saw this, it was constrained to "Forza 5 and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" so I'm gonna need some titles here.

Just about any racing game that features any sort of realism and car classes whatsoever... Gran Turismo has the most slow and boring starter cars ever. EVER.

• Locked thread