Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

N: The ACC is ending its relationship with basketball official Karl Hess.

V: :c00lbert::byewhore:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Hess reffed the Nebraska-FSU game last month and it was all the reminder I needed how terrible of a ref he is.

Get hosed with a shovel, Karl

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I love that Iowa State really has been our replacement for Pitt: http://www.charlestondailymail.com/article/20150108/DM03/150109336

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mons Hubris posted:

OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST EARLY BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I love that Iowa State really has been our replacement for Pitt: http://www.charlestondailymail.com/article/20150108/DM03/150109336

I learned that you guys hand out crib notes for heckling to the student section and that owns.

And there's only like, an 80% chance this was intentional.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 9, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Thoguh posted:

I learned that you guys hand out crib notes for heckling to the student section and that owns.

And there's only like, an 80% chance this was intentional.

Yep. The Maniacs, when they're there, are awesome and have like a full on newsletter for every game for things to yell.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Mons Hubris posted:

just remember that he'll still get work somewhere, like with the AAC or something, and he'll still be part of the pool for the NCAAs, and that means an even bigger stage for him to gently caress over ACC teams

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Hess will, without a doubt, gently caress over any ACC team he refs in the Tournament going forward but this is still a better alternative than just having him gently caress us over on a daily basis in conference play.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
N: Big game tomorrow at 6pm for #3 Virginia (14-0) at #13 Notre Dame (15-1). We crushed them last year at ND but they're much better this year. They have a weak defense (153rd according to Kenpom, second worst in the top 50) and have played one of the worst schedules (343rd (!)).

V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXhRFnUn72E

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Conference play in women's basketball is already off to a crazy start. Earlier this week #4 Notre Dame lost to unranked Miami and #8 North Carolina lost to unranked Pitt. Then just now, undefeated #3 Texas was upset by Iowa State.

Also not an upset but #7 Tennessee beat #9 Texas A&M by 23 points :smug:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
https://vine.co/v/OplKdxzxrL3

"....BITCH"

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

This ended up being a pretty rough week for the Gamecocks. We took it on the chin from the Rebels today, 65-49, to drop to 0-2 in the SEC. This wasn't exactly the start to conference play many had envisioned after how impressively we closed out the OOC schedule. Two of our top contributors are mired in terrible slumps right now and the rest of the team has been struggling to pick up the slack.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

N: Holy poo poo, K-State beat Oklahoma in Norman.

V: How we won:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Got around to watching the ISU @ WVU game since I wasn't home last night (DVR cutoff the end of it though). Here are my thoughts:

-Officiating seemed balanced. ISU was lucky to only have one guy foul out
- WVU has crazy good defense. I pity any team playing them, especially at home.
- ISU shot well, and you pretty much have to shoot well against WVU to win.
- ISU had some sloppy turnovers, but that's what WVU will do to you.
- Thank god ISU is a good ball handling team.
- WVU takes a ton of shots, if they were a better shooting team, they would be a top 5 team.
- WVU has a ton of depth, 9 guys saw double digit minutes, and 12 people played all together. ISU only played 8 total, and I have to applaud their conditioning for keeping up with WVU.
- ISU broke the press pretty effectively, getting some easy layups.

Big 12 stuff
- This conference will devour itself, as shown Saturday.
- Texas needs to figure things out, otherwise they're going to finish 5th or 6th, way below what everyone expected.
- TCU and TTU will struggle to win more than a few games in conference, but that was expected.
- The only team that might beat WVU at home is KU.
- KU is of course playing really good basketball as soon as conference play starts. I feel like they always look a little lost before conference play starts, and then immediately cruise to the top. Hopefully ISU plays up to par this Saturday and wins.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link
This happened.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sometimes, occasionally, somehow....you can just tell that someone has tried meth.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004
Go Beavers!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Three top 10 teams played today and they all lost. I wonder when the last time was that every single top 10 team who played on a certain date lost, minimum 3 teams...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
ISU up to 11th in this week's poll. I don't think we're playing like the 11th ranked team in the country right now but I'll take it. We do have wins over #16 West Virginia and #19 Arkansas, but losses to #14 Maryland and an unranked South Carolina team. I'd say the Big XII as a whole is overranked right now, except I don't know who I'd rank instead.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So Kentucky's version of losing is double OT?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Thoguh posted:

ISU up to 11th in this week's poll. I don't think we're playing like the 11th ranked team in the country right now but I'll take it. We do have wins over #16 West Virginia and #19 Arkansas, but losses to #14 Maryland and an unranked South Carolina team. I'd say the Big XII as a whole is overranked right now, except I don't know who I'd rank instead.

11 seems too high as well, but maybe this is just the ISU pessimism talking. Unless someone really just takes off, I think the winner doesn't finish any higher than 7 or 8. I just don't see anyone escaping the conference without losing enough to drop them.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

sbaldrick posted:

So Kentucky's version of losing is double OT?

We're just going to add an OT to every sequential game this year, and still win them all.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I am working WVU/OU tonight, which I am not looking forward to because A) we're going to get shithoused and B) its what ESPN is calling a REMOTE game, where all the production crew except for a hand few of us are in Bristol. It's going to loving suck.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Cross-posting from GDT thread: Cliff Alexander dunks so hard he gets T'ed up https://vine.co/v/ODDuaXeibqP

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

vegaji posted:

Cross-posting from GDT thread: Cliff Alexander dunks so hard he gets T'ed up https://vine.co/v/ODDuaXeibqP

That's the most absurd dunk I've seen by a Jayhawk since Thomas Robinson was in uniform

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Alman posted:

That's the most absurd dunk I've seen by a Jayhawk since Thomas Robinson was in uniform

No No Cliff, Not So Hard!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

News: WVU rolls OU to get back on track.

Views: Well then,

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Gamecocks hung on and edged Alabama 68-66 for their first SEC win. I was pretty worried about this game coming in, since we were slumping pretty hard and Bama had been on a roll, but this is an encouraging result. It's a big win and one that was extremely important to get if we have any postseason aspirations at all.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

News: WVU rolls OU to get back on track.

Views: Well then,

I was surprised that you thought OU would roll WVU, especially at home.

Anyway, ISU plays at Baylor tonight. ISU beat WVU, who beat OU, who beat Baylor, so ISU should win easily right? Right? ISU will probably throw up bricks all game.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Meltathon posted:

I was surprised that you thought OU would roll WVU, especially at home.

Anyway, ISU plays at Baylor tonight. ISU beat WVU, who beat OU, who beat Baylor, so ISU should win easily right? Right? ISU will probably throw up bricks all game.

We have struggled against them since coming into the league and I wasn't sure how we'd respond to the loss, since it was the first time in post-game I'd heard Huggs really get onto them and wasn't sure how OU would respond to losing either. I was pretty pleased with our effort, and I think it was one of our best efforts, doubly so since we won by 21 with Staten only getting 4 points.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Losing on the road to a ranked team, and coming back from a 1-16 start to lose by one are both fairly easy to swallow. But ugh, on that last possession Niang could have passed to either of two wide open teammates or driven in and drawn a foul (or at least a better shot). Instead he forced up a lovely, contested shot with a couple seconds left on the clock.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Aztecs offense so loving bad

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...f-the-internet/

This.
Must.
Never.
Die.

Also, Maryland fans are the scum of the earth. Duke fans are pretentious and dorkily obnoxious. UNC fans are rammed so far up each others own assholes (literally) that they think poo poo has no smell.

NC State poo poo of course happened again. :X

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

SDSU's last field goal of the game came at 9:58 left in the 2nd half and it gave us a 9 point lead.

Almost a full half without a basket.

We won by 8.

SDSU Defense owns

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
congrats on the win tonight and sat :sigh:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Lessail posted:

congrats on the win tonight and sat :sigh:

I just want to end UNLV's three point shot streak.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I just want to end UNLV's three point shot streak.

it'll happen one day. can't imagine the reaction if it happens during this stretch

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Lessail posted:

it'll happen one day. can't imagine the reaction if it happens during this stretch

What's the issue anyway? Rice seems like an amazing recruiter, can he just like, not coach?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

What's the issue anyway? Rice seems like an amazing recruiter, can he just like, not coach?

I honestly don't know, but if the results are the same whether he can secretly coach or not then v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Losing on the road to a ranked team, and coming back from a 1-16 start to lose by one are both fairly easy to swallow. But ugh, on that last possession Niang could have passed to either of two wide open teammates or driven in and drawn a foul (or at least a better shot). Instead he forced up a lovely, contested shot with a couple seconds left on the clock.

It's frustrating that ISU could have won, but I can't get too upset about losing on the road like that. Good thing to see is that ISU never let themselves get out of the game. They were down big a couple times and still came back. There are plenty of positives from the loss. Definitely need that win on Saturday now though.

• Locked thread