Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'm getting an American one of these because I hate the pricey estore.

The 3DS is region locked, you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ancient Aroma posted:

The 3DS is region locked, you know

that's the point of buying a us one...so I can play us games.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

My friend lives in New Zealand and he wanted to import a 3DS because otherwise you wait forever to play games if they even come out.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

Ok, this makes sense now. I guess I never thought about how big a used games source we Muricans must be to other countries

e: or unused too I guess

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ancient Aroma posted:

Ok, this makes sense now. I guess I never thought about how big a used games source we Muricans must be to other countries

I buy a lot of digital games from amazon and used to by old DS games from places that sourced from US. I barely use my 3ds though because the games prices are beyond ridiculous.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

It seems like New Zealand and Australia are really inconvenient places to be a gamer. It doesn't even make much sense because once the game gets translated into English like it does for a North American release it should be fine for release in every English speaking country.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Silver Striker posted:

My friend lives in New Zealand and he wanted to import a 3DS because otherwise you wait forever to play games if they even come out.

My friend used to do this too, his name is Knuc U Kinte on the forums.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

yeah, basically. and it's a shitload better than some stupid thing they put in the touch screen like with mh3u

Actually the on screen d pad was fine in that game. It was fine not because it was so great but because the circle pad pro analog stick still acted digitally for moving the camera around (0 or full speed) so it wasn't any better than using the touch screen. Lol.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Lemming posted:

Actually the on screen d pad was fine in that game. It was fine not because it was so great but because the circle pad pro analog stick still acted digitally for moving the camera around (0 or full speed) so it wasn't any better than using the touch screen. Lol.

yeah let me just take my hand off the normal parts of the controller and move it all the way over to the touch screen, this is definitely equal to having a right thumbstick for camera motion.

like MH3U was still fine, but it was because of the lock-on camera, not because of the super inconvenient and uncomfortable touchscreen thing which ideally you never had to use

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
so is it a right analog stick or a c stick

or both

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

Lemming posted:

How many 3DS games even support the Circle Pad Pro? Like 5 at most?

I know RE: Revelaitons supported it, but what else besids mh3u and the MGS remakes?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

lesbian baphomet posted:

yeah let me just take my hand off the normal parts of the controller and move it all the way over to the touch screen, this is definitely equal to having a right thumbstick for camera motion.

like MH3U was still fine, but it was because of the lock-on camera, not because of the super inconvenient and uncomfortable touchscreen thing which ideally you never had to use

Moving your thumb to the right side of the touchscreen from the face buttons is roughly the same distance as moving it to the CPP analog stick from the face buttons.

I agree, it wasn't very good, the lock-on was way more useful. The CPP just wasn't actually better than the on screen touch pad really. It made it a bit more comfortable to hold and gave you some more screen real estate on the bottom I guess. Not worth the cost just for that one game.

Dec 26, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've settled on the standard New 3DS over the XL.

same, i have a normal 3ds now and id rather have one closer to that size

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The skinny jean test almost persuaded me on the small 3ds, but I think the screen on the big one looks a lot nicer side by side.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

im pretty sure the small new 3DS has removable and changeable faceplates, and the new XL does not, which I think is a really good reason to get the regular one

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Soral posted:

people who own the n3ds in australia say the new 3ds has a face tracking mechanism in the front camera that will somehow angle the direction that the 3d effect displays in on the top screen, to eliminate that weird double vision effect you get when you don't hold the old 3ds absolutely perfect. i'm not sure how it works, exactly, but the result is very noticeable.

Is there any battery improvement or whatnot? I'm only getting it for monster hunter and if the old 3ds still runs it just as well I don't know if it's worth the full price tag compared to the deep discounts the older model'll have.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mabels big day posted:

im pretty sure the small new 3DS has removable and changeable faceplates, and the new XL does not, which I think is a really good reason to get the regular one

yes but i want a big bulky thing to play monster hunter on

i never take the bus or anything so my 3ds never leaves my house

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014
i am so ready for this new 3ds, i don't have a wiiu so the amiibo support is really cool and a feature i am looking forward to

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I have decided I will purchase a New Nintendo 3DS

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

TailsButtholeGuy posted:

I have decided I will purchase a New Nintendo 3DS

You and me both, sir

But the real question is when and why

What game deserves this much money?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I'm mostly just in it for 3D that I don't have to hold perfectly still. The faster loading is a nice bonus.

So basically whenever I have enough money that it feels worth an upgrade.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

will this also be the thread where we talk about the direct?

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

will this also be the thread where we talk about the direct?

you want a thread about that??? be the change you want to see on the forums

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

you know what..you're right

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The US ain't getting the smaller 3ds for some reason.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
preordered the majora's mask edition new 3ds xl

It will take like 2 weeks to be delivered so I'm debating if I want to play majora on release or wait to play it on a far superior system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ancient Aroma posted:

You and me both, sir

But the real question is when and why

What game deserves this much money?

Hopefully none

• Locked thread