Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Now that's what I'm talking about. A whole course with crazy poo poo like that would be so awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

There's a course in an underground cave semi near where I am, haven't been there though. Crystal city is what is called.

Commander Quack
Jul 23, 2003
quack quack quack
poo poo, those Worlds videos are kind of crazy to me. I went to university at Slippery Rock with my wife, and we played there together all the time, and the course was nothing like that when we were there.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Commander Quack posted:

poo poo, those Worlds videos are kind of crazy to me. I went to university at Slippery Rock with my wife, and we played there together all the time, and the course was nothing like that when we were there.

They probably set it up differently to be harder and a championship/national tour level course for Worlds.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Commander Quack posted:

Yea, when a course hosts the worlds they generally do revamps and upgrades. The magical gold course.

Combo posted:

There's a course in an underground cave semi near where I am, haven't been there though. Crystal city is what is called.

Hello Thoth, I haven't run across you in awhile.

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
Thinking about going up to Columbus on Sunday for the last round of the Hambrick. Speaking of gold course layout I hear the ob lines they set up make it a bit crazy.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Zogo posted:

Yea, when a course hosts the worlds they generally do revamps and upgrades. The magical gold course.

Hello Thoth, I haven't run across you in awhile.

Hello sir, its been ages

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The final 9 of the Ledgstone Open. This one had a lot of wind and OB areas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1RD9YfpCNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34r1gzpSdrM

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I posted in here a while back and someone mentioned courses around NYC, but I can't find the post. Is that person still here and want to help me out again? :ohdear:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Are you talking about http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698431&userid=162570 ?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm dumb. I was searching for my name in another thread I had open at the same time with many more pages.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'm dumb. I was searching for my name in another thread I had open at the same time with many more pages.

Greystone in Morristown. You could actually take NJ Transit and there's a bus that drops you at Central Park of Morris County where the course is. If you don't have a car that is.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

marsisol posted:

Greystone in Morristown. You could actually take NJ Transit and there's a bus that drops you at Central Park of Morris County where the course is. If you don't have a car that is.

I played that course last fall. Absolutely beautiful with the leaves changing.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Thanks! I'll be making a trip out in the coming weekends. My discs have just been looking at me sadly from their shelf in the closet.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I'm going to be playing my first game of Disc Golf/Frisbee Golf/Frolf this tuesday at a local course (that I had no idea was even there, in a town of approx 20k) and I'm pretty drat excited. A few of my buddies have been playing for a month and can't stop talking about it so I figured if you can't beat'em join 'em...and it seems like it'll be fun as poo poo.

Besides throwing around random frisbees over the years I've never touched a legit DG disc. The other day I picked up a Innova Beast as my first driver and I've been playing with it in my (fairly big) back yard trying to get the feel for everything. After work tomorrow I'm going to go to the park and get my feet wet so I don't look like a TOTAL doofus out there with my buds but they say over and over how bad they are so I'm going into this feeling good.

I was wondering if there'd be an SA thread for it nor not and I'm pretty pumped that there is AND it seems current and active! Lots of great info in the OP and I look forward to contributing some random stories and pictures myself in the very near future.

Two quick questions.

1. If I say frisbee instead of disc am I going to be laughed out of the place? (not talking about my buddies obviously)
2. Is it taboo or ghetto to use a regular backpack or duffel bag instead of one of those high dollar specially made disc bags?

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Tyson Tomko posted:

Two quick questions.

1. If I say frisbee instead of disc am I going to be laughed out of the place? (not talking about my buddies obviously)
2. Is it taboo or ghetto to use a regular backpack or duffel bag instead of one of those high dollar specially made disc bags?

1. Probably not.
2. Most people start out with a random non-disc golf bag and some people still use them after years of playing. If you want to be truly ghetto, you need a plastic shopping bag.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tyson Tomko posted:

Probably not. I have seen some people get upset when someone says "Frolf" or "Frisbee Golf" instead of disc golf, but who the hell cares. Anyone who's a big enough jerk to care about something like that isn't worth appeasing.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Not at all. Most people I see (including me) just use a backpack. Not everyone can drop $200 on a specialty disc golf bag. I've seen people drag around a cooler on wheels filled with beers. Everyone who plays this sport smokes weed. It's not taken too seriously.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
:hellyeah: That's all great info!

RCarr posted:

Everyone who plays this sport smokes weed. It's not taken too seriously.

Another big :hellyeah: moment. I certainly plan on doing my share of that as well at times.

I was just looking on that dgcoursereview site, and there is one in my town even closer than the local one (where I work 20 min away) I mentioned! I live in a town of 2,000 and there is literally one within 3/4 of a mile from my house that I can walk to. It was established in 2010 too, same year I moved here. This stuff is beyond interesting and I can't tell you how excited I am to get out there after work today.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Quick question. I've officially checked out 3 courses in my general area, and the one practically in my backyard is of course the lowest caliber one by far (not really complaining). The one near me is a 9 hole and doesn't seem to have any tee off areas whatsoever, but they do have numbers marking each individual hole. The other 2 have concrete pads so those are obvious.

Is there some unwritten rule here if there's no obvious tee or do you just stand near the sign?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea just stand near the sign. You'll usually see patches of worn grass where most people tee off from. If you don't just throw from wherever you feel comfortable that's within 10 feet or so of the sign.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Thanks again!

It's going to be in the mid 90s when I go next but screw it I'm still going. This is a very fun sport and I've only just gotten started with it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I've endured some miserable conditions this year when playing. I enjoy it enough that it's worth it though :)

Played in 2 feet of snow early in the year. Played in near 100 degree weather. Played in swarms of mosquitoes. Also my course is infected with deer ticks. Good times!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

RCarr posted:

I've endured some miserable conditions this year when playing. I enjoy it enough that it's worth it though :)

Played in 2 feet of snow early in the year. Played in near 100 degree weather. Played in swarms of mosquitoes. Also my course is infected with deer ticks. Good times!

We've got ticks and mosquitoes galore too but drat I didn't even know this was doable during the winter in the snow. That sounds fun as hell!

Checked out the pics dgcoursereview had on file for the one in my backyard and was surprised to see as of June 2012 they DID have sand tee off areas. Unless someone said it made the park look like poo poo I'm really surprised to see it all grassy now. Nothing wrong with the grass, just sayin.

The 18 hole one 10 minutes away from me (insane I've got 3 within 25 miles of me) is rated as overgrown and unplayable yet super challenging. This is intimidating as all crap yet looks crazy fun:

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 4, 2015

Bootloafus
Apr 5, 2009

giblet gravy
Yuck. I wouldn't be playing that course and I'm fairly confident with my accuracy at distance. There's something to be said for jungle golf, but that's a little excessive. Searching for discs in that on every hole sounds... Agonizing.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

DSC_2045 by Ian McEachern, on Flickr
Watched these guys play last weekend. The rain sucked but it was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
It's summer again and time for more disc golf. I just spend like $250 on infinite discs because I like buying new discs.

• Locked thread