Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
My favorite part of the post-Sandy nonsense was Romney desperately trying to seem relevant by offering to send a fleet of campaign buses into a disaster area for photo ops. Before the flood waters had even receded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gyges posted:

Even if your employer allows you to take that time, lots and lots of people work more than half of the provided time away from their precinct. I get a paid hour to vote, however if I had to leave my job, go to my precinct, vote, and return that would take more than 1 hour. Taking an hour at the beginning or end of the day would work, but that's probably not always a realistic option.

Legally mandated paid time for voting is good, but an actual federal holiday is better. Ideally it'd just be by mail voting everywhere, but it is nice to get paid to vote every election.

This is Arizona. Looks like we get 3 hours.

quote:

After applying to take leave in order to vote, employees with less than three hours between the opening of the polls and the beginning of their normal work hours or the end of their normal work hours and the closing of the polls may take paid leave from work at either the beginning or end of a shift for such an amount of time that provide three consecutive hours in which to vote.

Not sure if a federal holiday would work either. I don't get federal holidays off at my job just double time and a half pay. And I'm sure all those poors with their lovely jobs that would all vote democrat aren't getting a federal holiday off at one of their 3 jobs they do. Unless we are implying a lot of federal workers would vote democrat of they could get the time off to do it?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the republicans have figured out they can be as obstructionist and insane as humanly possible and still get to claim "look at how useless this guy is!". come 2016 the republicans will lose and they will cry and gnash their teeh but the smart ones will know they can continue to gently caress everything up and dominate other branches of goverment that way and someone like hillary is only going to make it easier for them

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I seriously don't get why people think Trump is only doing this for the sake of his brand. He's lost so many business deals (including being fired from The Apprentice) that the only reason he hasn't either scaled back his rhetoric or dropped out has to be that he's serious about running.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MizPiz posted:

I seriously don't get why people think Trump is only doing this for the sake of his brand. He's lost so many business deals (including being fired from The Apprentice) that the only reason he hasn't either scaled back his rhetoric or dropped out has to be that he's serious about running.

That or its a massive sunk cost issue for him. Could be that he figures he has already lost so much his best shot is to double down.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

If gerrymandering were abolished, election day made a federal holiday, and/or Puerto Rico or DC were to become a state, then the GOP would be done for.

This is why I support all of these reforms.

Well, actually I support them because they correct absurd anti-(small-d)democratic injustices, but burying the GOP would be a nice fringe benefit.

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

MizPiz posted:

Trump is also 70 years old and is going to die soon one way or another. Maybe instead of spending his remaining time on Earth being a reality game show host he decided that it would be worthwhile to make political history before he goes. If he can sustain this bizarre and wonderful campaign all the way until the end then it will be his real legacy. He's already turned all "common knowledge" about how primaries are supposed to go on its head. Political scientists will be studying this moment in American elections for generations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I would imagine they will continue to pander to an increasingly small, increasingly old base while holding onto far too many local and congressional positions, all while dragging the national political spectrum further to the right so that corporate funded and "fiscally conservative" democrats can hold the center?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

City of Tampa posted:

Donald Trump will drop out before the end of the year because this is about promoting his brand and becoming more famous, not actually being President.

Bernie will win Iowa and New Hampshire, but lose South Carolina and everything after that.

Right after South Carolina, Hillary will pivot to a more "centrist" position on everything and will start the hippie kicking to prove how much of a Very Serious Person she is. She will find issues that she can use to scold the left and prove that she is "electable".

By this point Bush will lead in the Republican polls, and will be spun by the media as a more moderate and level-headed Republican that can find common ground with Democrats (because gridlock is the problem, not terrible policies promoted by terrible people).

The race will be Clinton vs. Bush, will be the lowest turnout Presidential election in American history, and Bush will win.

The loss will be blamed on Bernie supporters staying home and will be used to make the Democratic Party even more neoliberal.

:smith: I'm not ready to face all that yet. It's still 2015.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i offer you an alternative

bernie sanders

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Fish Cant Hold Gun posted:

Trump is also 70 years old and is going to die soon one way or another. Maybe instead of spending his remaining time on Earth being a reality game show host he decided that it would be worthwhile to make political history before he goes. If he can sustain this bizarre and wonderful campaign all the way until the end then it will be his real legacy. He's already turned all "common knowledge" about how primaries are supposed to go on its head. Political scientists will be studying this moment in American elections for generations.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Everyone talking about "political history" when not one vote for anything has ever been cast for him is kinda funny

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Pet Rock Band posted:

Everyone talking about "political history" when not one vote for anything has ever been cast for him is kinda funny

i guess you missed the corn kernals at the iowa state fair

Buffer Overflow
Sep 3, 2006
Interweb Addict
The only thing Hillary has going for her is the "inevitability" of her winning the nomination. This didn't work 8 years ago and is not going to work now. I can't think of an actual issue that Hillary actually supports and pushes for.

Trump is going to ride this bomb all the way into the ground. He will never conceed and has no reason to. Normally the GOP thunderdome runs with a bunch of pretenders until we hit actual elections and the ones that aren't independent billionaires or are backed by billionaires have to drop out because they can't afford to buy air time in dozens of states. Trump has the money to stay in as long as he wants and has the popularity to win GOP primaries.

Buffer Overflow has issued a correction as of 19:04 on Aug 16, 2015

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Buffer Overflow posted:

I can't think of an actual issue that Hillary actually supports and pushes for.

I can: Hillary

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
I was walking along a busy street today and had the thought, More or less every person in this city knows that Donald J. Trump is running for president, and has an opinion about it. I'm not sure any other candidate besides Hilary can say that.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I could see the republicans becoming an increasingly regional party over the next 30 years with a center-right coalition of neoliberals taking either the democratic or republican name for national races and the lefties building power bases on the coasts. In an era where a lot of campaign efforts can be privately funded or more easily managed by an individual candidate a big central party apparatus loses a lot of effectiveness. OFA built a machine and handed it to the Dems, not the other way around, and that sort of thing might be more common in the future when you just don't need party money like you did in the past.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

except they aren't going to lose

"When fascism comes to America, it will be landing in a luxuriously appointed helicopter and wearing immaculately coiffed golden hair."

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

baw posted:

i guess you missed the corn kernals at the iowa state fair

:aaaaa:

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Unironically? The GOP if they lose will split into two parties. One will be most of the whale donors who will decide that catering to the Christian / Libertarian brand connotations has cost them too much. In much the same way how the DNC went from being statist elites to chasing the AF vote, the "new" GOP will likely make a push to recapture their Lincon heritage as small L progressives.

The christian base and flyover states will at the same time conclude that the big donors who keep the machine going are too much of a liability and will break off into their own thing; like the Progressives did in UK & Canada. Given the standing of farmers & most middle class America, this wing will likely go the way of the Bullmoose party.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think Trump is doing this just because he's got nothing else better to do and is competitive. If he makes it in, great, his ego is quenched and he can do more things, if not, he grew his fan base and brand and it was a way to have fun for nearly two years.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Philthy posted:

I think Trump is doing this just because he's got nothing else better to do and is competitive. If he makes it in, great, his ego is quenched and he can do more things, if not, he grew his fan base and brand and it was a way to have fun for nearly two years.

You're forgetting that he's lost a significant portion of his connections in this run. He'll still get checks from the real estate his name is plastered all over, but he's lost most of everything else, including his TV show. And I don't exactly see him being welcomed on Fox.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MizPiz posted:

You're forgetting that he's lost a significant portion of his connections in this run. He'll still get checks from the real estate his name is plastered all over, but he's lost most of everything else, including his TV show. And I don't exactly see him being welcomed on Fox.

Roger Ailes called him personally to apologize for his treatment on Fox and then he got a 1 on 1 sit down with Hannity, something which no other republican candidate this election cycle has gotten..he lost some miss universe advertising, boohoo. Now hes all over the airwaves 24/7, this is all the man could ever want

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
There will be lots of wailing and finger-pointing, but since they're likely to keep both houses of Congress, the status quo won't change -- not enough of an incentive.

And since we are in an apparently-unstoppable cycle of D gains in presidential-election years, and R gains in mid-terms, things won't change in 2018 either.

It appears that the GOP is in a long, slow decline, rather than being headed for any kind of cliff in the near-term.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i think it's a stretch to assume that the party could keep itself together enough to win local elections if they completely collapse at the national level

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I'm sure that Trump, noted scumbag real estate developer with ownership stakes in companies across the globe, sincerely gives a poo poo that a department store has stopped carrying some cheap menswear he's getting a cut of.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
The Republicans will look like the majority party running poo poo for the next 2 decades still because:

- If they win, they obviously keep the House and Senate
- If Hillary wins, it'll be by the skin of her teeth and they'd get 2 new Senate seats, maybe 3, but not enough, and certainly not the House
- If it's Sanders (LOL) then they may hold steady or lose a seat because he and his people don't know a loving thing about legislative coalitions or elections beyond "standing on streetcorners with signs and having parties to discuss how to make creative protest and art for Bernie," and no Democratic Senate candidate, from Russ Feingold to Heath Shuler, will campaign with him and not talk about him in hopes of avoiding going down 1972-style.

I mean, these are people that breathlessly post "BERNIE SANDERS HAS INTRODUCED A BILL TO IMPLEMENT FINAL JUSTICE" not realizing that the practical meaning of that is "Bernie Sanders filed a bill supported by 1/100th of the Senate.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I agree. We should let neoliberals hold america hostage.

Hillary or Jeb 2016: To Bite Our Masters is to Feel the Whip

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
Absentee ballots aren't hard to arrange and is better than shutting down businesses across the country for a couple lazy people who can't figure out how to vote.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

and no Democratic Senate candidate, from Russ Feingold to Heath Shuler,

Haha totally forgot that jackass is probably running.

No matter since all the money's going toward the governor's race.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

De Nomolos posted:

The Republicans will look like the majority party running poo poo for the next 2 decades still because:

- If they win, they obviously keep the House and Senate
- If Hillary wins, it'll be by the skin of her teeth and they'd get 2 new Senate seats, maybe 3, but not enough, and certainly not the House
- If it's Sanders (LOL) then they may hold steady or lose a seat because he and his people don't know a loving thing about legislative coalitions or elections beyond "standing on streetcorners with signs and having parties to discuss how to make creative protest and art for Bernie," and no Democratic Senate candidate, from Russ Feingold to Heath Shuler, will campaign with him and not talk about him in hopes of avoiding going down 1972-style.

I mean, these are people that breathlessly post "BERNIE SANDERS HAS INTRODUCED A BILL TO IMPLEMENT FINAL JUSTICE" not realizing that the practical meaning of that is "Bernie Sanders filed a bill supported by 1/100th of the Senate.

I don't think that anyone really expects Bernie to build coalitions or actually accomplish anything if he wins, I'll just be happy that we don't have to discover the issues that Hillary would find common ground with Republicans on.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Oceanlife posted:

Absentee ballots aren't hard to arrange and is better than shutting down businesses across the country for a couple lazy people who can't figure out how to vote.

More like the poor democrat minority voters will lose their poo poo hole jobs for not showing up to work to go vote. And they are too stupid to figure out absentee ballots and don't have a free voter id card.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Voting should be compulsory and made as easy to do as possible, it's part of your duty as a citizen of the country you belong to, literally the most basic of civic duties.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

City of Tampa posted:

I don't think that anyone really expects Bernie to build coalitions or actually accomplish anything if he wins, I'll just be happy that we don't have to discover the issues that Hillary would find common ground with Republicans on.
Well, you'll find them out in four or eight years.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Wheeee posted:

I'm sure that Trump, noted scumbag real estate developer with ownership stakes in companies across the globe, sincerely gives a poo poo that a department store has stopped carrying some cheap menswear he's getting a cut of.
I'm actually pretty sure that he does, because he was compelled to do his "No, I dumped them FIRST" thing all over any pulpit he could get at the time. It's just that he cares in the same way he does about stubbing his toe getting into his limo.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
If Trump is elected he will name a bunch of stuff "Trump" then get bored and resign after a year or two.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

NotWearingPants posted:

If Trump is elected he will name a bunch of stuff "Trump" then get bored and resign after a year or two.impeached at gun point in the gold-plated oval office.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Nah, he'll install stripper poles and guns every five feet.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

mastershakeman posted:

Stripper poles aren't classy. He'll have models being living statues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

sounds like Saint's Row. Trump is yoojer, classier and more luxurious.

• Locked thread