Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maximum Leader posted:

did stebe ruin san francisco with this whole computer nonsense

no steve kept computer away from san francisco and down in the south bay where it belongs

pretty sure google was the fist company with the shuttles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i like monterey, and also, hell, i liked the book cannery row

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Gazpacho posted:

sf has had literally nothing worth touring since the 1970s, hth op

Just past the headland in this picture are the ruins of the Sutro Baths, picturesque and a good place to start an early-morning walk to the Presidio or Golden Gate Park.

The Golden Gate bridge itself is awe-inspiring.

My favorite part of any trip to San Francisco is a hike in the Muir Woods or along the sea cliffs nearby. (e: Get to the Muir Woods first thing in the morning to avoid the swarms of tourists—the crack of dawn on a Tuesday if you can.)

For good food you'd have trouble finding elsewhere, I recommend New Eritrea and Fresca.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 14, 2015

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
i moved to san francisco last year and it has no redeeming qualities any more unless you really like interacting with young hairless asian men who only want to talk to you about their/your startup

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hello yospos tourism thread. i want to go to the beach.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
yospos beach

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
san diego has some nice beaches

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

qirex posted:

if you walk up the hill a few blocks to take the cable car you'll find that a) you're not the only person with that idea and b) you can stand there and watch full ones go by for an hour

the first street without a line is usually pine & powell but at that point you've almost climbed the whole hill so just walk around nob/russian hill instead

still faster than waiting at the bottom, and they don't fill the cable car completely at the powell turnabout, so you can def hop on at geary.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

sunny computer

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i am going to visit sf later this month and take in a couple of games of baseball

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

Ploft-shell crab posted:

sunny computer

byoospos :cool:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CrazyLittle posted:

still faster than waiting at the bottom, and they don't fill the cable car completely at the powell turnabout, so you can def hop on at geary.

nice advice from the year 2006, they're pretty much full after o'farrel [where there's at least 50 people in the summer]

the best travel advice for san francisco is to come in late september or early october, in august the entire continent of europe decides to come here

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
go get a burrito in the inner mission and see who's playing at slim's or the chapel.

el farolito, super burrito w/ carne asada.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

qirex posted:

nice advice from the year 2006, they're pretty much full after o'farrel [where there's at least 50 people in the summer]

the best travel advice for san francisco is to come in late september or early october, in august the entire continent of europe decides to come here

works for me considering that I work at 5th and market and sometimes need to hop over to bay/taylor and the cable car ends up being the fastest route there. :shrug:

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

Necronomoticon posted:

el farolito, super burrito w/ carne asada.

cancun foreverrrrrr

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
San Francisco, the city by the bay, as the locals call it, is a great place to visit or live!

hit up the embarcadero (pronounced em-bar-cado) and the ferry building for some light shopping and good eats with amazing views of the bay.
walk up along the embarcadero all the way up to Fort Point and Ghiradelli Square. Then rent some bikes and bike across the golden gate bridge (we locals call it the double-gee-bee).
if you have time, go see the bisons in golden gate park (also called double-gee-pee) and the california academy of sciences museum and the de young museums.

if you're feeling footloose and fancy free, the disney family museum is in the presidio and you can go check out their current exhibit of dali vs disney (they hated each other and tried to kill each other over a failed movie).

the zoo is kind of sad, but all right for a small town zoo.
catch a giants game, it's an odd year so they're terrible and in 2nd place in the NL west.
union square is a cool and good place, you can see homeless people setting up their cardboard mattresses under the louis vuitton and cartier windows

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Check out the men's asses.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
fisherman's warf is pretty much tourist trap bullshit with a two-story Applebee's across the street. although, the museum ships are p cool and the Alcatraz audio tour is worthwhile.

chinatown has actual Chinese food, and you can enjoy the sight of watching a bunch of aging men in suits huddling around newspapers, smoking cigs and throwing dice

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

emoji posted:

oh yeah

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

sanitary men's asses

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
do a TCHO factory tour

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
ask anyone who looks like an authority where you can find nuclear wessels

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

but seriously, TCHO. mmm chocolate.

and if you want a touristy drink there's a bar at the top of the Marriott Marquis where you can see the whole city

also do a distillery tour of St. George's in Alameda

visit a sleazy karaoke joint in Japantown after eating really goddamn good udon or Korean chirashi

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

eschaton posted:

do a TCHO factory tour

they moved to berkeley and the new factory doesnt do tours yet

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

take a tour of a start-up

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
go to 1 infinite loop

overpay for a motel because the drat america's cup is in town

welp that's my SF story

(not really)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

they moved to berkeley and the new factory doesnt do tours yet

boo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

~Coxy posted:

go to 1 infinite loop

overpay for a motel because the drat america's cup is in town

welp that's my SF story

(not really)

no company store at Apple right now, it's closed for renovation

(also only open M-F 10:30-5:30)

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yachting is the worst

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Get some 'za at cheese board and sit in the median

Drive or hike or bike up Mt tamalpais, better view and nicer trip than diablo imo but diablo's good too

Drive down hwy 1 to pescadero and get artichoke bread at norms market, then go east on 84 past the Merry pranksters cabin and stop at Applejacks in la Honda and/or alice's on skyline. then continue downhill on 84 through woodside and past buck's and then hop back on 280 north

In the army base part of Alameda there's a distillery (St George), brewery (faction), and winery (rock wall) all within walking distance of each other and with good views of the bay

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 16, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Sharktopus posted:

cancun foreverrrrrr

yasssssss

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

emoji posted:

also this

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Bumping this thread so I can post in it again later.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
come to NZ instead and pick some fruit for less than minimum wage or even pay for the priviliege

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

bobbilljim posted:

come to NZ instead and pick some fruit for less than minimum wage or even pay for the priviliege

Friends of mine actually want to go to Austrialia sometime next year so I might do that and hopefully be killed by a dozen different dangerous animals.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 350 days!
hi peanut, there's an ocean near san francisco that you can look at. it's a lot of water, kept together in one place so that people don't lose it.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

TRON JEREMY posted:

hi peanut, there's an ocean near san francisco that you can look at. it's a lot of water, kept together in one place so that people don't lose it.

That's cool, Wesley. I own most of the world's oceans, but it would be nice to check out one that I don't currently own.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
some good sights here http://mochimachine.org/wasteland/

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
I hear tell that if I'm going to San Francisco, I need to be sure to wear a flower in my hair. Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 350 days!
the considerate people of san francisco grow flowers in the ground, so you can look at flowers and have them nearby without needing to place one in your hair.

• Locked thread