Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

so a long time ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

bawbzilla posted:

humanities will be the only thing from academia still able to get employed after our republican overlords destroy science funding and everything else gets automated

Stem careers have no future since we can farm that poo poo out to India.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
sometimes i consider going back to school for a masters but then i remember the miserable life debt i already live with and also the only thing i could possibly do is teach. so basically be in school forever and also be as poor as a student at the same time. i still cant believe they were feeding us "go for ur dreams" that long asfter 9/11

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

Khanstant posted:

sometimes i consider going back to school for a masters but then i remember the miserable life debt i already live with and also the only thing i could possibly do is teach. so basically be in school forever and also be as poor as a student at the same time. i still cant believe they were feeding us "go for ur dreams" that long asfter 9/11

The problem in "go for ur dreams" is the plural.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
oh hey it's the weekly gay caremad thread where a bunch of gay baby goons cry about people who study different things than them and try to convince themselves that they do anyone in the world any fuckin good lmao

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Gobblecoque posted:

oh hey it's the weekly gay caremad thread where a bunch of gay baby goons cry about people who study different things than them and try to convince themselves that they do anyone in the world any fuckin good lmao

So what did you go to school for, fag?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

this is america the only real future here is providing services to the wealthy for poo poo pay hth

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
If you're inheriting daddy's worldwide coal mining monopoly, a PhD in philosophy and history is a great plan

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

try to convince themselves that they do anyone in the world any fuckin good lmao

I am a job creator. I create a job opening for others by being unemployable.

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

Horniest Manticore posted:

aw, you wuv it! you wuv it deepwy!

Yeah, I do. I was just wiling to accept the idea that I would most likely have to find work outside of academia if there were no opportunities in sight when I finished my degree. I ended up teaching Greek and Latin at a private school afterwards and managed to get out of my education with under 15k worth of debt. I busted my rear end trying to distinguish myself when I was an undergraduate and received a number of very generous offers from multiple programs. I think the key here is that a Masters is the more likely degree to gently caress you debt wise just because they rarely offer much funding for it in the humanities - most of it generally goes to PhD. programs. I had my tuition and the majority of my living expenses covered, which made grad school a much more appealing pursuit than it would have been if I hadn't received adequate funding.

Eventually I did wind up leaving academia behind, and after teaching for a while I scored a sweet job working as an administrator in a university research lab that came with great pay & benefits. I realize my situation is outside the norm, but it's not outside the realms of possibility either. I would definitely encourage people to pursue other paths, but somebody has to study this poo poo in depth or it's going to fall out of memory - it deserves to be kept alive, just not by people who are going to drown themselves in incredible amounts of debt for it, or by those who have the naive view that grad school will be a nice way to escape getting a "real" job for a while longer. To be honest, I agree with you, there's already too many people out there with advanced degrees in things like Medieval Lit., so for the time being you're better off doing something else, but I don't believe in discouraging people from trying for it all together because it can certainly be a valuable experience despite the fact that there are far more lucrative avenues for you to explore.

I mean, you're going to be living on pauper's wages, but if you love it and you have the resources and financial security to the point where it won't make you into some sort of horrible debt slave, then go for it, just don't be surprised if it doesn't work out and you have to find work elsewhere. It won't invalidate everything you did in grad school. I'm not about to poo poo all over somebody's life decisions if they're aware of the risks. It's just sad that advanced degrees in the humanities are probably only going to be viable for people who come from wealthy backgrounds.

I also think people also tend to forget that you can market the skills you've gained in a very specific way. I never had any administrative jobs or a scientific background before I was hired at my current position, but I made sure to highlight the time I spent working for my university newspaper, TAing, researching, going on digs, speaking at conferences, and other poo poo I did while I was in school and got picked out of a pile of 300+ applications. I'm certainly not the only person in my situation who has managed to do the same. Again, I'm not encouraging anyone to go to grad school in the humanities, it is a bad decision at the moment considering the amount of PhD holders out there seeking a dwindling number of tenured positions, but I'm also not going to fault someone for having passion for something and giving it shot. Just be aware of the risks.

tl;dr just major in a STEM degree unless you come from an a wealthy family or can secure a fat scholarship/grant/etc.

Pulvis Sumus fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 30, 2015

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

BigBoss posted:

Stem careers have no future since we can farm that poo poo out to India.
Pretty much every company that has tried to do that has had hilariously horrible results

Lego Stormtrooper
Jul 29, 2008

lite frisk posted:

Arts academia is about as exclusive as the NFL, but it completely fucks tons of young people in the rear end by letting them believe otherwise.

So its exactly like the NFL then?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

a dog from hell posted:

Don't know why I'm in school except that it's free. Can't do tech poo poo. The faggotry/doublethink turns me away from the liberal arts and humanities. Anything more than prereqs will cause me to go into debt. Truly I am damned.

get a businessman degree, its what i did and i'm starting to make real cash and i don't give a gently caress about anything at all in the world or have any real passion, so cash is really making me feel good about myself

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

because i dont want to be an engineer or a doctor. i want to be the politician who decides how much funding they get this year

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bro Dad posted:

because i dont want to be an engineer or a doctor. i want to be the politician who decides how much funding they get this year

Great, get a rich daddy degree.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Great, get a rich daddy degree.

i think thats called law school

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bro Dad posted:

i think thats called law school

Ah yes the traditional fallback for med school dropouts

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
how does american collegiate debt work? do u gotta pay it off like right away or what? in australia we have a system where you dont have to start paying debt back until you start making a certain amount (50k or so)

also its interest free and uni fees are heavily subsidised by the govt for australian citiznes

peace out

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In general: After six months you have to start paying it back over ten years. Interest is between 3 and 7 percent depending on the type of loan. If you go back to school some of these loans do not build build capital from interest and others do. I think on average people graduate with debt that amounts to about a 400/month payment. Most people's first home or apartment has a monthly mortgage payment of about 900 dollars so this debt amount is pretty bad.

Loans are held and managed by private lenders but underwritten by the federal government. You cannot discharge responsibility for student loans through bankruptcy or any other means. Some loans are a higher percentage. If you miss payments of refuse to pay the interest rate goes up and predatory fees come out of the woodwork.

There are other payment plans that can stretch he payment period out and possibly forgive some of the debt (this is highly unlikely simply due to inflation, but is technically possible).

raton fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 30, 2015

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

TheIllestVillain posted:

how does american collegiate debt work? do u gotta pay it off like right away or what? in australia we have a system where you dont have to start paying debt back until you start making a certain amount (50k or so)

also its interest free and uni fees are heavily subsidised by the govt for australian citiznes

peace out

american college is also like 10 times as much as our universities, sup with that?

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

ok but wait

Is a master's/Ph.D. in counselling psychology considered humanities or STEM

I'm asking for a friend.

Also what should that friend do to unfuck their life thanks.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tenacious J posted:

ok but wait

I'm asking for a friend.

if they have studied counseling psychology that means they can unfuck their own life

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tenacious J posted:

ok but wait

I'm asking for a friend.

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who can give meds and is not a fake wizard. He has a STEM degree.

A psychologist (which is what you're talking about) is a fake wizard trying to legitimize himself by wearing the garb of medicine without having the associated training or knowledge. This is a humanities degree.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

if they have studied counseling psychology that means they can unfuck their own life

95% of the people who study psych in any form, both under a legitimate allopathic medical structure or an uniformed literature based wishful thinking structure, are irretrievably broken mental cases.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Fonzarelli posted:

american college is also like 10 times as much as our universities, sup with that?

because we're sick kunts and they arent

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
They wanna be... more human than a human?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i think its okay to waste your life servicing a debt to a piece of paper no more valuable than toilet roll, op

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i got my masters of bideo game making at full sail and its been working out great tbh. cig is a great company to work for :)

Manifest Despair
Aug 20, 2008
i thought about going to college once but then i took acid and realized i'm a stupid rear end in a top hat with or without it, saved big $$$

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

dk2m posted:

whens the last time a humanities major did something to push society forward?

:shillary: majored in political science. Checkmate, degree snobs!

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
RE: psych talk, it's a weird middle ground where the field has applications/jobs that border on the M in STEM (assuming you're not an rear end in a top hat who scoffs at the premise of mental health as A Thing) but also is commonly pursued as a bullshit degree by kids who have no idea what else to do.

If you just legit want to be a counselor/therapist get a psych BA/BS then go for the Masters of Social Work because eventually you can take the Independent classification state exam and make decent money and bill govt medical insurances.

Also the MSW is the degree every actual therapist job wants because they're far more qualified than the degree mill family counseling grads but don't cost nearly as much to hire as a Psychologist.

If you get a PHD in any Psych field you better love research or running a battery of tedious tests (that you can bill out the rear end for, so silver lining). The days of Freuds making money from listening to bored housewives laying on couches is over because all that work is done by MSW grads now. If you do Industrial Psych or Forensic Psych you can also be a consultant and make a ton of cash, so congratulations at winning life.

Never get just a Masters of Psychology of any stripe because it is a weird limbo thing where you are both over and under qualified at once for every possible job.

Never get just a bachelors in Psych and expect to ever do anything but be an underpaid, overworked case worker drone with no power to do anything. You will eventually develop a drinking problem after seeing the worst misery of the human condition day after day. Your best case scenario with just the BS/BA is to quit the field to do something less depressing like stack pants or make coffee or answer phones.

Hope this helps.

synftw
Jun 14, 2007
Chaos-Gnostic Satanist

Sheep-Goats posted:

and should do this by making hum degrees free, therefore slots for them limited.

We get it. You didn't major in economics.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
I guess there is a lot of demand for workers at the philosophy factories.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Oh the humanities!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ka0 posted:

If you're inheriting daddy's worldwide coal mining monopoly, a PhD in philosophy and history is a great plan

if billionaires teach their kids history, instead of useless skills like math and designing bridges maybe that tells you something. actual important people don't learn STEM, a billionaire doesn't need to know how a bridge works, just that people will build him one if he asks them to.

taking a STEM education pidgin holes you into being part of the sycophant class forever

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bawbzilla posted:

humanities will be the only thing from academia still able to get employed after our republican overlords destroy science funding and everything else gets automated

I think the most haunting part of the movie Interstellar was the fact the Greens are in power and the official government stance was "Science bad/moon landing never happened."

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Most of the people I grew up with that are established and doing well now didn't go to college, they took up a trade. The people I grew up with that went to college that are established and doing well married rich spouses.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Rutibex posted:

if billionaires teach their kids history, instead of useless skills like math and designing bridges maybe that tells you something. actual important people don't learn STEM, a billionaire doesn't need to know how a bridge works, just that people will build him one if he asks them to.

taking a STEM education pidgin holes you into being part of the sycophant class forever

but the only thing that matters there is the pre-existing obscene wealth. if you weren't already rich and did humanities then you gave up your shot to remain in the rapidly shrinking sycophant (middle) class to join the rest of the marginalized and permanently unemployed poors

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Digiwizzard posted:

but the only thing that matters there is the pre-existing obscene wealth. if you weren't already rich and did humanities then you gave up your shot to remain in the rapidly shrinking sycophant (middle) class to join the rest of the marginalized and permanently unemployed poors

As rudely as this point is made, it is pretty much correct. Until something about the cost of college changes, programs in the humanities should be considered "for the pre-existing wealthy only." If you aren't already well off, you're going to need a degree that pays in order to cover the college debt you accrue... and everyone already knows that probably isn't going to happen with a degree in basket weaving. Therefore, we mock these people who make bad decisions and later act like victims.

Yeah, victims of their own stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Im so loving excited to gently caress ethnics

• Locked thread