Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

Grandpa had a Henry rifle with documentation of every sale going back to Sitting Bull (I think it was Sitting Bull, it may have been another really famous chief), who was the original owner, which a museum made an offer on after he died but which a private collector paid a lot more for. He had a bunch of other nice old west weapons, some with ammo, but that was the crown jewel as far as I'm concerned.

Would have been cooler if your great great great grandpa murdered an innocent indian and took it. My ww2 collection started after acquiring the family heirloom Luftwaffe bayonets and Hitler youth knifes my great uncle ganked from some stupid dead idiots.

Henry rifles are pretty sweet though. I shot a replica and didn't approve of the aesthetics the manufacturer slapped on it, but it was fun to blow targets up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

That reminds me, I decided to start collecting coins when I was a kid, but I had very little money so once every few days I would have my parents take me to the bank where I would get $5 worth of pennies and search through them all to find any valuable ones and then I would cash back in those pennies and do it all over again.

I think I only ever kept one penny. A 1969 Seattle penny that was worth like 25 cents....

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I collect records and horror movies, and pathetically combine the two interests by also collecting horror soundtrack albums. Also books.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

jet sanchEz posted:

Old race bikes :coal:

I have two road bikes, and two mountain bikes, but they aren't really a collection. There is one bicycle that I want purely because of sentimental value (irrational) which is pretty much the motivation for collecting anything. A 1983 Centurion Turbo. I bought one in January of 1983 when I was seventeen, and I only had it until early May, when I took a corner too fast and hit an oncoming car. I dislocated my shoulder, and the bicycle's frame was destroyed. A couple of years ago, when I had a few bucks to spare, I was actively looking for one; I no longer have the money so I'm not now. The day I got that bicycle was the happiest day of my life. When I wrecked it, I mourned it like a lost friend (it took me over a year to get another decent road bike).

Like this, except a 63 CM with the seat post at the limit line, standard pedals, and white Benotto Cello tape.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm a miser who never posts anywhere else so I very much enjoyed the completely unprovoked "assuming direct control" just dropped once in the first and second page. (I haven't played mass effect either)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I'm a miser who never posts anywhere else so I very much enjoyed the completely unprovoked "assuming direct control" just dropped once in the first and second page. (I haven't played mass effect either)

Yw

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mariana Horchata posted:

i got a nazi coin out of a supermarket self checkout a few years back, still got it too

:eyepop:
nice find!

Dave_Indeed posted:

Would have been cooler if your great great great grandpa murdered an innocent indian and took it. My ww2 collection started after acquiring the family heirloom Luftwaffe bayonets and Hitler youth knifes my great uncle ganked from some stupid dead idiots.

Henry rifles are pretty sweet though. I shot a replica and didn't approve of the aesthetics the manufacturer slapped on it, but it was fun to blow targets up with.

my grandpa also gave me a nazi bayonet. never told me were he got it, just said "hide it under your shirt when you take it out of here, and if grandma sees it dont tell her it was mine!"

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Rutibex posted:

do you have a crystal skull vodka?

have you seen dan aykroyds video about it where he talks for like an hour about how the crystal skulls really were created by aliens? also no

King of Bees posted:

Yep. Lots of people do that. Any interesting finds, favorites?

i got a bunch of amari those are prob my faves after whiskey. i really like Amaro Lucano its better on its own than say Averna or Ramazzotti imo. also they just rereleased Suze (a french gentian liqueur) using the original formula thats actually quite bitter instead of sweet and you should check it out if you like campari and want something even more interesting.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Old business machines. My daily use desk calculator is a Burroughs Direct Adder from some time in the 20's. I have check-writers, Addometers, Olivetti multi-summa electrics, Burroughs printing adders. I have two log-log-deci-trig slide rules. Two Victor Comptometers, a Commodore electric adder, and numerous adders that I can't remember the name of. I've got a Brandt Automatic Cashier from the teens that makes change like a motherfucker. It has keys for breaking coins so you can break anything from a nickle to a dollar along with anything in between. It's slick as hell and reliable. The only thing is that it needs half dollars which are in short supply.

It is a sickness.

I've also just started restoring old axes for no reason. Collecting is a disease.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dave_Indeed posted:

My other grandpa took a luger and an arm band off a dead nazi in France. My brother has those.

red_dirt
Apr 26, 2014

by Shine

Mariana Horchata posted:

i got a nazi coin out of a supermarket self checkout a few years back, still got it too

Where?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nazi germany, obviously

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I buy a lot of blurays, especially criterion collection ones

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mad Monk posted:

Nope they're insulators, used on old telegraph poles, usually found along railroads. Most of them are broken from people shooting at them but they are one of the weird things in the world people collect. The most expensive one is worth about 25k.

Wait these are worth money? There are a few hundred of them (or more) buried in the back yard of my old house which was built on an old factory site. I found them digging a hole to move a fence.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Wait these are worth money? There are a few hundred of them (or more) buried in the back yard of my old house which was built on an old factory site. I found them digging a hole to move a fence.

You're rich!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i have a shelf full of the dignity of mine enemies

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I sold the house like 6 months ago. I looked the glass insulators up on eBay and didn't see anything worth more than a few dollars so I just left them alone. Is there some sort of glass insulator collector forum?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Repo Man posted:

I have two road bikes, and two mountain bikes, but they aren't really a collection. There is one bicycle that I want purely because of sentimental value (irrational) which is pretty much the motivation for collecting anything. A 1983 Centurion Turbo. I bought one in January of 1983 when I was seventeen, and I only had it until early May, when I took a corner too fast and hit an oncoming car. I dislocated my shoulder, and the bicycle's frame was destroyed. A couple of years ago, when I had a few bucks to spare, I was actively looking for one; I no longer have the money so I'm not now. The day I got that bicycle was the happiest day of my life. When I wrecked it, I mourned it like a lost friend (it took me over a year to get another decent road bike).

Like this, except a 63 CM with the seat post at the limit line, standard pedals, and white Benotto Cello tape.

cool I hope you find one

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I wish my backyard was loaded with collectable industrial waste. :argh:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I spend an absurd amount of money on tiki mugs and I couldn't explain the appeal to anyone

you likes what you likes

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Yes, there are some serious collectors out there. There are price guides available http://www.insulatorpriceguide.com/

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Sperglord Firecock posted:

i collect vaporwave

hell yeah

and 2007 bloghouse ftw

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I collect tea cups but also drink tea from them check out my tea cup Tumbler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ghostter posted:

i want to start a collection of something but i don't like anything.

A collection of things you don't like.

• Locked thread