Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

We Spoke to Lauren Chief Elk, the Woman Behind #GiveYourMoneytoWomen, About the Power of Cold Hard Cash

Lauren Chief Elk (left) and Yeoshin Lourdes, the co-creator behind the #GiveYourMoneyToWomen hashtag. Photo courtesy of Lauren Chief Elk

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/give-your-money-to-women-its-simple-284

maybe instead of monitizing more of our personal relationships we could step back from capitalism for a second, and just be cival to each other for free? #humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Rutibex posted:

maybe instead of monitizing more of our personal relationships we could step back from capitalism for a second, and just be cival to each other for free? #humanity

These are not the times for one like you, friend

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

BexGu posted:

Yeah what is the game plan here to get the money from men? What happens if a dude already gave away his money to another women?

the demand is repeated in a higher octave

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Rutibex posted:

lol hopelessly naive

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Prav posted:

the demand is repeated in a higher octave

in that scenario, the best response is laughter and telling the whiner to get a real job

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Frosted Flake posted:

We Spoke to Lauren Chief Elk, the Woman Behind #GiveYourMoneytoWomen, About the Power of Cold Hard Cash

Lauren Chief Elk (left) and Yeoshin Lourdes, the co-creator behind the #GiveYourMoneyToWomen hashtag. Photo courtesy of Lauren Chief Elk

It's like someone saw a strip club for the first time and thought "Why can't the rest of the world be this way?"

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
None of these people will affect anything in a meaningful way. Ever.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

whoflungpoop posted:

my boyfriend knows that the internet is a place for him to buy me stuff and also to look at lawnmowers and toolboxes and poo poo he has no concept of what people who are not painfully well-adjusted do think or say in the howling voids of cyberspace and his blithe ignorance is my soul's refuge

My gf has a webforum she reads but its taiwan based and this poo poo isn't over there even on obscure corners of the internet. The politically active youth are all more concerned with stuff like taiwan not getting to fly their own flag at the olympics and other china taiwan related political issues. It seems to be a uniquely western thing among people who have so little problems that they have to go invent some.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Her: Male tears lol!! boyz tearzz!! u sad bro?

Me: grandma, please

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

My granma face books a picture of every puzzle she completes and calls them achievements

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
KONY 2012

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

I hope that Chief Elk girl has a video posted of her furiously rubbing her clit in public while high on bath salts

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
The coming Caliphate has provisions for this backed by some moderately-strong hadith.
Get your dinars ready, men

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Why don't these women who want money from men for emotional labor Just Mary a guy and then divorce him like women have been doing for a few hundred years? It's pretty much guaranteed money for the rest of his life.

Edit: these women pretty much want alimony from men without needing to marry them first.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Why don't these women who want money from men for emotional labor Just Mary a guy and then divorce him like women have been doing for a few hundred years? It's pretty much guaranteed money for the rest of his life.

Millenials are lazy so they just want to skip to the last part.

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

quote:

Emotional labor—the amount of things that women have to do, acting as the therapist to men; absorbing everything that comes out of them with a happy face; swallowing our feelings to not make things more complicated; learning that if we do start voicing displeasure, that's probably not going to get a positive response; always having to be happy and peppy and taking care of their feelings and their outbursts—whether that's in a work environment, relationship, or friendship, it's a lot of work to just put up with what's dealt out. I think there are lots of overlaps between emotional labor and abuse, having to navigate [around men], having to dance around their hotspots, dance around what they're going to be laying out on you. It's a ton of work. It is wearing and draining.

oh my godddddddd

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

i spend a lot of time on the internet and I didn't pick up on any of this poo poo throughout the year. i believe that none of this is actual, either that or that it's localised to twitter, tumblr and one or two colleges and isn't something anyone needs to care about

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Rutibex posted:

100k day probation for even suggesting such a thing :supaburn:

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Though the thought of all men being born divorced to every women in America is kinda funny in a sick sorta way.

Fake edit: is it still cucking if its your ex wife? If so it adds an extra level of hilarity.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
No longer will men be trapped by the tyranny of women! Stand up and demand to be paid for the physical labour you do! Your girlfriend wants a box moved? That will be $20

No female coworker, I won't help you get that stuff into your car

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's really amazing how well this sketch works in 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLNhPMQnWu4

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
If we're paying for emotional labor now, since women only make .80 for every dollar I think that they will find they actually owe men the balance.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

whoflungpoop posted:

my boyfriend knows that the internet is a place for him to buy me stuff and also to look at lawnmowers and toolboxes and poo poo he has no concept of what people who are not painfully well-adjusted do think or say in the howling voids of cyberspace and his blithe ignorance is my soul's refuge

I love looking at lawnmowers and toolboxes.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Sometimes when I'm mad about something stupid my wife tells me I'm being stupid and I'm like "yeah, fair enough". I hope she doesn't find out she's been doing it wrong and should instead handle it the healthy way where she smiles and pretends nothing's wrong and then I pay her.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Decebal posted:

My dog died in 2015, so it's true, I did cry. I'll miss you buddy :smith:

Keep your chin up, remember the good times. All dogs go to heaven 2.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

i cried a lot this year but i'm expecting to cry even more in 2016

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
Meh that's a normal reaction. It's not particularly productive. But it's normal.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
This is a safe space for lawnmowers and lawnmower enthusiasts.

I like how the #gymtw person generalizes her interpersonal experiences and choices to literally every woman in the u.s. and only sees men and women in terms of sweeping stereotypes. "Men be like gurf dorf puff, and women be like nem hem hem"

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Psycho Society posted:

This is a safe space for lawnmowers and lawnmower enthusiasts.

I like how the #gymtw person generalizes her interpersonal experiences and choices to literally every woman in the u.s. and only sees men and women in terms of sweeping stereotypes. "Men be like gurf dorf puff, and women be like nem hem hem"

The belief that people are entirely defined by a set of labels that they are born with and can be neatly split in categories that can then be stacked against each other is a core tenet of identity politics. If you're looking for seething rage against race or gender traitors you're as likely to see it on any given social justice superstar twitter as on stormfront.

Except on the left it's going to be backhanded "oh you're sucking up to the more privileged group/internalized cishet patriarchy" because every category is a victim of all categories above it and there can be no room for independent thought or agency in relations between the castes.

From this reasoning, it follows that the top caste owes everyone else money for oppressing them.

Totalizator fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 27, 2015

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Male privilege is not giving a gently caress what women think

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Male privilege is not giving a gently caress what women think

Its also knowing that assholes are just assholes and not having to come up with grand sociological frameworks to get offended over

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

rejutka posted:

This also applies to people who dedicate any portion of their lives to discrediting and silencing them. Anyone who defines themselves by any word that ends in -ist should gently caress off the planet earth forever.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ScrubLeague posted:

This also applies to people who dedicate any portion of their lives to discrediting and silencing them. Anyone who defines themselves by any word that ends in -ist should gently caress off the planet earth forever.

Mocking stupid people is the premise this website has been founded upon. I'm pretty sure none of these women give a single gently caress about what is being written about them on an ancient comedy forum (unless they figure out a way to get money for it).

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

rejutka posted:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
On that #GiveYourMoneytoWomen thing:

DV related homelessness is actually a big deal, and women do bear the brunt of that social problem... But what's hosed with this is that these armchair-activist, overwhelmingly rich-white-women, living in upper-middle-class-privilege, want to take more money so that they can get expensive haircuts, designer makeups, and probably buy better cocaine, rather than giving what they have to, or actually organizing for people who are actually living on the margins. Women try to flee their abusers 5 to 7 times on average, and all of the mainstream Abrahamic religions have inbuilt normalized violence against a man's wife and children. It's barely a lifespan back to when it was entirely socially acceptable to beat your wife in America, and in many places in the world... it's still like that.

But the Internet is all trolls and lies in 2015. That's what we here at Something Awful were striving for this whole time, is it not? This is all your fault. Bask in the inglorious vainglory of your dubious achievements, my fellow goons. You made this, and you know it.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

osirisisdead posted:

On that #GiveYourMoneytoWomen thing:

DV related homelessness is actually a big deal, and women do bear the brunt of that social problem... But what's hosed with this is that these armchair-activist, overwhelmingly rich-white-women, living in upper-middle-class-privilege, want to take more money so that they can get expensive haircuts, designer makeups, and probably buy better cocaine, rather than giving what they have to, or actually organizing for people who are actually living on the margins. Women try to flee their abusers 5 to 7 times on average, and all of the mainstream Abrahamic religions have inbuilt normalized violence against a man's wife and children. It's barely a lifespan back to when it was entirely socially acceptable to beat your wife in America, and in many places in the world... it's still like that.

But the Internet is all trolls and lies in 2015. That's what we here at Something Awful were striving for this whole time, is it not? This is all your fault. Bask in the inglorious vainglory of your dubious achievements, my fellow goons. You made this, and you know it.

How can she donate or organize when she's exhausted after a long day of emotional labor coddling guys ?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

gagelion2 posted:

this is a picture of the author, no I am not kidding

Holy guacamole

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Jimong5 posted:

since women only make .80 for every dollar