Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
folk is also good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENYMwuCG2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wj7xZf8xm8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y2SIIeqy34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

One Tree Hill really was peak WB.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

no one wants to talk about it, but jazz spawned r&b, rap and country. without the slaves playing their funky music, country wouldnt exist so im glad of it. all four types of music, not slavery

Have you asked a single person if they want to talk about it?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
You work all day for some old man
Sweat and break your back.
Then you go home to your castle,
But your queen won't cut you slack.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDLBCcUyO0c

wheeler walker jr a.k.a comedian ben hoffman has released a weird sweary comedy country album

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Country concerts are like 6:1 Female:Male. That's what is so great about Country Music

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I like listening to Chet Atkins play that gee-tar OP

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
if you want to gently caress your cousin real bad listen to country and the words of god will speak to you

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Uh you can piss up a rope
And feel the pissy dribble
You can piss up a rope
And watch me giggle
For the last 6 months
I been packin' your bag
You can wash my balls
With a warm, wet rag
Till my balls feel smooth
And soft like silk
I'm sick of your mouth
And your 2 percent milk
And I'm no dope
But I've lost all hope
So hit the fuckin' road and
Piss up a rope

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Cartouche posted:

Have you asked a single person if they want to talk about it?

yeah, everyone i know adores country music but gets angry when i mention it's jazz and blues roots

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Zero posted:

no one wants to talk about it, but jazz spawned r&b, rap and country. without the slaves playing their funky music, country wouldnt exist so im glad of it. all four types of music, not slavery

I'm pretty sure country descended from folk music which dates back to whenever the first yokel made a lute and decided to sing over it

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frankenstyle posted:

Yeah, but that only works if you're into fat girls.

Hey now, that's not true; you forgot about depressed single mothers!

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dolly Parton's titties.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I'm pretty sure country descended from folk music which dates back to whenever the first yokel made a lute and decided to sing over it

country music is specifically american and it came from american folk music, ya. it wasnt just poor white people cobbling together instruments tho. that's just how whitewashed history portrays it

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
The main topics of country music are:

1. Bars
2. Trucks
3. Beer or drinking
4. Girls
5. Break ups or how bad they are for each other but they can't give up (abusive white trash relationships)
6. Hard work
7. A radio

I think 9/10 country songs I've hard have about 4 or 5 of these at any time in the lyrics. They're even more formulaic than Pop songs.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Haier posted:

1. Bars
2. Trucks
3. Beer or drinking
4. Girls
5. Break ups or how bad they are for each other but they can't give up (abusive white trash relationships)
6. Hard work
7. A radio

I think 9/10 country songs I've hard have about 4 or 5 of these at any time in the lyrics. They're even more formulaic than Pop songs.

these are all important things, the spice of life so to speak

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
A guy walks into a bar, orders a drink
Sees a girl that catches his eye
Asks her if she wants another
They fall for each other and end up lovers
They laugh, cry, hold on tight, make it work for a little while
Then one night her taillights fade out into the dark
And a guy walks into a bar

I'd laugh too if my heart would let me
Keeping it light will probably help to get me over you
I'm walking, talking, drinking proof
A cliché in a corner booth
Ain't nothing new

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Zero posted:

country music is specifically american and it came from american folk music, ya. it wasnt just poor white people cobbling together instruments tho. that's just how whitewashed history portrays it

Ok cool, I'll give you that. BUT please explain how it is descended from jazz other than both were started by black musicians

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

comes along bort posted:

You can piss up a rope
And watch me giggle
For the last 6 months
I been packin' your bag
You can wash my balls
With a warm, wet rag
And soft like silk
I'm sick of your mouth
And your 2 percent milk
And I'm no dope
But I've lost all hope
Piss up a rope

That's my other favourite country album. But I'd been listening to Ween since their first proper album came out.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Frankenstyle posted:

Yeah.

I don't consider Johnny Cash to be country music because he's actually good.

Dressed in black and did a shitload of drugs. Often a good sign as far as music goes.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
hootie was able to get a second career going out of being the 21st century charley pride. i wonder if the blowfish are jealous

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Blazing Zero posted:

yeah, everyone i know adores country music but gets angry when i mention it's jazz and blues roots

It doesn't really have clear jazz roots. Country as a genre is kinda a media creation. Local radio stations in the deep south in the 20's would play the traditional folk and familiar hillbilly music that some folks preferred over the pop being broadcast nationally. That traditional stuff could range from the whitest, unchanged British Folk ballads preserved over hundreds of years to basically white hicks playing half-remembered blues. Their were eventually cross-over hits and Jimmie Rodgers became nationally famous playing hillbilly music and his style was referred to as "Country." Rodgers and a bunch of other early country singers learned to sing and play from southern blues performers so I could see a direct link there.

When country music got popular enough to tour nationally various sub-genres formed like "Western Swing" and I guess than you could argue that Popular Jazz influenced country, but that was after its inception and those were branch genres. It's like saying country has Hawaiian roots because their were all those Hawaiian steel guitar licks in Hank Williams and Johnny Cash work.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Blazing Zero posted:

this is the answer, op

So, pretend to like Country to get laid by women with bad tastes in music? Good to know!

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

So, pretend to like Country to get laid by women with bad tastes in music? Good to know!

in your case no, sorry

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I like listening to Chet Atkins play that gee-tar OP

Chet Atkins is good, I wouldn't consider him country really. I guess it's the difference between old country and Pop Country.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Blazing Zero posted:

I'll take "white people are secretly racist" for $200, Trebek.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAbrnjdtYw

This is better than a lot of Pop Country out there now.

BadgerSeat
Feb 28, 2006

Would you like to see where I keep my severed heads?
Look up David Allan Coe on the youtube com and you'll hear some good rear end country music

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBe2Bq4jYPA

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Davie allen coe and pantera made an album its one of the trangest things ever

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
it's bizarre that's for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvYAVYUtQW8

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

I am convinced. Must be true that everyone feels the same way and it is not indicative of the type of people you are friends with.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Haier posted:

1. Bars
2. Trucks
3. Beer or drinking
4. Girls
6. Hard work
7. A radio

Perhaps not listen to crossover country pop garbage.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Haier posted:

1. Bars
2. Trucks
3. Beer or drinking
4. Girls
6. Hard work
7. A radio

Add all that to the fact that almost none of them can write their own songs like most other genres minus pop and you really see the similarities to pop.

Also, if my high school students are any indication, you must follow these rules to listen to country:

- Wranglers in the winter, jorts in the summer and cut-off shirts all year
-own a full size truck (preferably diesel)
-fly the American and/or Confederate flag from the bed of the truck
- Realtree everything... Boots, coats, laptop wraps, wallets
-lip full of Grizzly/Kodiak/Skoal
-must be obnoxiously racist
-love NASCAR, Hardly Ableson motorcycles, etc.

Best thing is when you see them out with their parents and mom and dad are dressed nicely as they get out of their Infiniti, and then junior climbs out of the back door dressed in his redneck costume and his F350 is parked next to his mom's Lexus in their driveway in their gated community which is miles away from the nearest farm or country thing.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Haier posted:

1. Bars
3. Beer or drinking
4. Girls

that covers about 2/3 of all songs ever and the rest are about drugs

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Add all that to the fact that almost none of them can write their own songs like most other genres minus pop and you really see the similarities to pop.

Also, if my high school students are any indication, you must follow these rules to listen to country:

Best thing is when you see them out with their parents and mom and dad are dressed nicely as they get out of their Infiniti, and then junior climbs out of the back door dressed in his redneck costume and his F350 is parked next to his mom's Lexus in their driveway in their gated community which is miles away from the nearest farm or country thing.

To be fair, people have been marketed to that F150s/etc are luxury vehicles now like Mercedes-Benz to justify the escalating prices (which is still retarded, but whatever).

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

comes along bort posted:

You can piss up a rope
And watch me giggle
For the last 6 months
I been packin' your bag
You can wash my balls
With a warm, wet rag
And soft like silk
I'm sick of your mouth
And your 2 percent milk
And I'm no dope
But I've lost all hope
Piss up a rope

Both the only country album and only ween album I own.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
one shelton williams the third has a couple criticisms of country music as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz5USGT0WRs&t=146s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

The most annoying thing to me about all of this is that bro trucks have become the new ricers/krauts. I still see plenty of lowered Civics and VWs but they're usually being driven rather reasonably. It's the jackasses in their pristine, jacked up F-Series and Dodge Rams who are tearing rear end through neighborhoods and slamming the gas at every green light.

Oh and of course there's those coal rolling fuckers.

• Locked thread