Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
You have to put peanut butter on it and show it to your dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a hate crime if you don't brush cocks with a fag holding the door for you.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

criscodisco posted:

You have to put peanut butter on it and show it to your dog.

Noooo, because peanut butter companies are now putting lethal dog poison in peanut butter, don't you know anything?

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Instead of holding the door I usually just take off my pants and throw them at the person.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

ghlbtsk posted:

Instead of holding the door I usually just take off my pants and throw them at the person.

I did this once with an ex girlfriend entering the bedroom, didn't work.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

PuppiesAndKitties posted:

If it's a normal healthy looking person, 10 feet.

Old person/disabled/hugely pregnant/small child in tow, 30 feet.

What about someone like me who is ostensibly healthy but ugly as sin?

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

What really gets me is people in elevators. Those people who start mashing the Door Close button as soon as they hear someone say "Hold the door please!" are the worst.

I at least hold the elevator door so they can get on then I scream horrifically in their face until we arrive at their floor.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i'm so strong at karate that its literally impossible to punch me while im standing in a doorway

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

TheNightmanCum-eth posted:

What really gets me is people in elevators. Those people who start mashing the Door Close button as soon as they hear someone say "Hold the door please!" are the worst.

I at least hold the elevator door so they can get on then I scream horrifically in their face until we arrive at their floor.

Hold the door please! *meanders to elevator, presses 2*

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Applewhite posted:

We just need to sit down, as a society, and establish a firm cutoff distance for how close someone has to be before you're obligated by common courtesy to hold the door open for them.

Earlier this morning I was exiting the mini mart and spotted someone on an approach vector. They were about six paces (~18 ft) away.
Normally at that distance I would let the door close and continue on my way, but I made the mistake of making eye contact with the guy. So now I couldn't just let the door shut because it would seem like I was letting it close on purpose to spite him, but by holding it open, I forced him to jog up to the door and smile awkwardly, making the situation uncomfortable for all involved and actually more inconvenient than if he just had to open the door himself.

I don't consider myself a particularly neurotic person, but this is something I (and I think most people who go out in public regularly) struggle with on at least a weekly basis.

Goons, what do you do when someone is in that gray area where it's too far to hold the door open for them but too close to let it close?

I think twice the height of the approaching person is a good cutoff.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

if they're hot i'll hold the door until i cum, but after that i usually lose interest

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
if you wear a hoodie with the hood up you can just open the door and not bother worrying about anyone else

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Hot Karl Marx posted:

if you wear a hoodie with the hood up you can just open the door and not bother worrying about anyone else

look at this loving sociopath

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Applewhite posted:

Someday all doors will just be automatic sliding doors and having to hold them open for people will be a thing of the past. I dream of that day.

no those are designed for fat people

and it keeps them fat because they dont burn any calories opening doors

if we allow automatic doors to become a thing for everything, we will see obesity increase at even more alarming rates imo

bubblebee
Jan 6, 2014

quote:

if we allow automatic doors to become a thing for everything, we will see obesity increase at even more alarming rates imo

Maybe this is a good way to manage the upcoming population crisis.

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer

Commie NedFlanders posted:

What about someone like me who is ostensibly healthy but ugly as sin?

I'd count it as disability.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hi, I'm holding the door open for you and standing in the way at the same time, smiling like I'm doing a good thing, and I am somehow not a sociopath.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
thank you ghost of david foster wallace for injecting this insight of social dread into such a meaningless situation

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i think 5 steps out is fair, 7 for an old lady

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

i think 5 steps out is fair, 7 for an old lady

12 steps for alcoholics but i have to admit i am kind of an enabler

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If the guy behind me when I turn around is another baller like me I give like the tiniest chin upwards nod as if to say "I know you got this so I'm just gonna let it go" and he gives me the same micro-nod back and I let the door fall closed as quickly behind me as possible. Note that this does not mean you try to slip sideways through the doorway by opening the door just a little so it closes immediately because that is a bitch move.

If the guy is clearly a straight up buster(like the OP) I hold my gaze for a fraction of a second longer and then move to hold the door open but not by just twisting my upper torso to the side so as to keep my hand in contact with the door for a moment longer as I step through the doorway but by instead passing through the doorway completely with my hand constantly holding the door and then stepping sideways so I'm adjacent to the door facing its opposite direction so as to have a firmer grip on the door with my hand and to afford me the opportunity to turn my head to the side and watch you as you approach. The purpose is to create in you the sense that I'm not paying you a simple courtesy but that I was so convinced of your utter infirmity or incapacity that I instantly came to believe upon seeing that you would face a serious challenge from a door on your own and I have carried out a deliberate act separate from my own entering through the doorway in order to assist you. It is the second greatest power move in the world of door openings.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I made the mistake of holding the door open for an old lady who took wayyy too goddamn long.

I shoulda let it slam on her face. That'll teach me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

If I misread the distance and end up holding the door for what could be considered an awkward length of time I just roll with it by putting on a smug face and nodding while making eye contact like 'yeah, check my mad door holding skills bro'. If I misread and let it close on someone right behind me I roll with it by flipping them off.

• Locked thread