Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE
A lady I worked with got into a car wreck with this craaaaazy woman who contacted one of those judge shows - they apparently liked the case so they offered to fly them to wherever and film the trial. Apparently the deal was the show would pay for both the trip and the fine for whoever lost. So you either win the case and get your money or you lose and the show pays and all you're out is a lot of dignity. I'm not sure if all the judge shows work like that or only this particular one, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Murphy Brownback posted:

Again, if you want something and your argument is based on what you're legally entitled to, go to real small-claims court, not on a TV show. Think about it, if you wanted to address problems your relationship is having you'd go to a licensed therapist or something similar. If you wanted a free vacation and to get on television and don't actually care what the outcome is, you'd go to Jerry Springer/Maury. It's the same deal with the court shows.

yeah I get that, my thing was just how rude they were to this lady for essentially following the rules.

But the Hot Bench judges are dicks to everybody because daytime television.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Peebla posted:

A lady I worked with got into a car wreck with this craaaaazy woman who contacted one of those judge shows - they apparently liked the case so they offered to fly them to wherever and film the trial. Apparently the deal was the show would pay for both the trip and the fine for whoever lost. So you either win the case and get your money or you lose and the show pays and all you're out is a lot of dignity. I'm not sure if all the judge shows work like that or only this particular one, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Some goon posted a thread in GBS a few months back saying that he was contacted by Judge Judy (I guess they have someone who just peruses small claims cases and picks out interesting looking ones?) and was told that they cover the fines and stuff

My favorite JJ episode was the one where there was an earthquake and everyone scrambles and runs, including Judy, who ran into her room, and the defendant just stood looking around confused as to what he should do

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Toriori posted:

judge joe brown hates HATES pit bulls. he delights in taking out his chart about how horrible pit bulls are when it's a dog bite case and 9/10 times it's a pit and the other one time its a pit mix.

so does nearly every cop - especially animal enforcement officers. first responder EMS and hospital emergency room surgeons hate them too

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Professor Shark posted:

Some goon posted a thread in GBS a few months back saying that he was contacted by Judge Judy (I guess they have someone who just peruses small claims cases and picks out interesting looking ones?) and was told that they cover the fines and stuff

A presumably different him posted a similar thread a number of years ago, where he was contacted because the defendant in the case has contacted Judge Judy.

He explained that each side (plaintiff and defendant) got a small about of money. Any losses from the case were taken from that money. That way, if you are the defendant and lose the case, you will get some money. I don't remember what the amount was, but it wasn't the 5K maximum in most districts.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Peebla posted:

Yeah, I think all the shows cover all the costs, which is how they get people to show up.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

watch this its good

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FuhrerHat posted:

watch this its good

I'd bwn her

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

One of my favorite moments of the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VsikRkBmRw

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Yeah she's really big on the "don't breed 'em if you can't feed' em" mentality. I am too, but no one listens to me so it's cathartic to listen to her.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

WhyteRyce posted:

One of my favorite moments of the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VsikRkBmRw

She's not wrong.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Just the fact she let the lady who swears it's not a loan continues to talk and talk until she accidentally says it's a loan. Then the mouse trap snaps, Judy's turns her head in a predatory gaze, the lady clearly realizes she screwed herself, the audience gasps, and Judy does the mic drop.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
She's caught them in that trap more than once. I've seen her do it pretty regularly with the folks who claim it was a gift but made payments by check a few times toward the gift.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The only evidence that they are two separate entities

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WhyteRyce posted:

Just the fact she let the lady who swears it's not a loan continues to talk and talk until she accidentally says it's a loan. Then the mouse trap snaps, Judy's turns her head in a predatory gaze, the lady clearly realizes she screwed herself, the audience gasps, and Judy does the mic drop.

Yeah it's like, if she rules one way the chick is a hooker, if she rules the other she contradicts her own precedents. They always pull that poo poo. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
The appeal of daytime TV is in terrible irresponsible viewers getting catharsis out of constantly spotting people who are worse than they are. Basically like clickbait, or reading somethingawful forums

• Locked thread