Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
All of the sudden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

VendaGoat posted:

I have this tattooed on my cock.

Font?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Smythe posted:

*prys off work boots to plunger sound* drat! THEse dogs are BARKIN'!

Please do not step on dogs it is very rude.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Answered on the last page.

VendaGoat posted:

36 Point Impact.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BigwigML posted:

I usually don't post in threads but this is the exception that proves the rule

gently caress i hate this one. if there's an exception to the rule, it's not really a loving rule is it?!?!

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

"You can't have your cake and eat it."

Of course you loving can. You have a cake, then you loving eat it you stupid loving oval office.

If anything, it should be "You can't eat your cake and still have it", or "You can't have your cake and eat it too", but those are complete poo poo as well. This is the worst loving phrase swear to god i am so angry now

edit: Here are the earliest recorded usages and they all make a lot more sense than the modern version

"Wolde you bothe eate your cake, and have your cake?"
"A man cannot eat his cake and haue it stil."
"She cannot eat her cake and have her cake."
"And she cannot have her Cake and eat her Cake."

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Sokrateez posted:

gently caress i hate this one. if there's an exception to the rule, it's not really a loving rule is it?!?!

Parking prohibited on Sundays.

for fucks sake posted:

Of course you loving can. You have a cake, then you loving eat it you stupid loving oval office.

If you eat it then you can't also have it at the same time because you've eaten it and it is gone now.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 28, 2016

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Unless the cake is featured in the major motion picture starring Bill Murray called Groundhog Day.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sokrateez posted:

The idea being that, if someone's best possible exception to a rule is a totally absurd, irrelevant out of nowhere thing, then it kind of implies that, in all reasonable scenarios, the rule holds. Like if you say "we live in a quiet beach community", and you scratch your head and eventually say "actually one time in 1972 a meteor landed in farmer bobs garden", it's kind of evidence that it is quiet because the best example you came up with was over forty years ago.

Mostly I just use that one to piss off whoever I'm talking to, it's most effective as irony.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Sokrateez posted:

"it is what it is"

lol i had a boss that would tell us this all the time whenever bad news was getting delivered. it is really the worst thing to say in pretty much any situation.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Roylicious posted:

If you eat it then you can't also have it at the same time because you've eaten it.

There's an implied "then" in the phrase. As in "you can't have your cake and [then] eat it."

For example if someone said "do you want to go out and get some beers?", you wouldn't parse it as "do you want to go out, and at some unconnected, unspecified point in the future, also buy beer?"

The only way you could save it in its current form is by emphasising the "and", "you can 't have your cake and eat it", but I've never heard anyone say it like that.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The idea being that, if someone's best possible exception to a rule is a totally absurd, irrelevant out of nowhere thing, then it kind of implies that, in all reasonable scenarios, the rule holds. Like if you say "we live in a quiet beach community", and you scratch your head and eventually say "actually one time in 1972 a meteor landed in farmer bobs garden", it's kind of evidence that it is quiet because the best example you came up with was over forty years ago.

Mostly I just use that one to piss off whoever I'm talking to, it's most effective as irony.

I like mine better. If a sign just says 'No Parking on Sundays' then there is your exception proving the implicit rule of 'parking is okay the other 6 days.'

for fucks sake posted:

There's an implied "then" in the phrase. As in "you can't have your cake and [then] eat it."

For example if someone said "do you want to go out and get some beers?", you wouldn't parse it as "do you want to go out, and at some unconnected, unspecified point in the future, also buy beer?"

The only way you could save it in its current form is by emphasising the "and", "you can 't have your cake and eat it", but I've never heard anyone say it like that.

I understand but that's how it is meant in the vernacular :shrug:

HereComesEverybody
Mar 2, 2007

a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

If onlys and justs were candy and nuts then every day would be Ernte Dank Fest.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
"And if my aunt had a dick, she'd be my uncle"
Well, actually...

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Roylicious posted:

I like mine better. If a sign just says 'No Parking on Sundays' then there is your exception proving the implicit rule of 'parking is okay the other 6 days.'
Yeah, that's all it is. Talking about an exception - of any kind - proves that a rule exists.

quote:

exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis ("the exception confirms the rule in cases not excepted")

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
"It was a near-miss."

I think you mean 'it was a near-hit!' :jerry:

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Sokrateez posted:

"it is what it is"

this is actually incredibly useful for politely responding to someone when you can't be bothered to really engage because your just so loving tired all the time

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

for fucks sake posted:

If anything, it should be "You can't eat your cake and still have it", or "You can't have your cake and eat it too", but those are complete poo poo as well. This is the worst loving phrase swear to god i am so angry now

edit: Here are the earliest recorded usages and they all make a lot more sense than the modern version

I once heard it as "You can't keep your cake and eat it too." Replacing "have" with "keep" makes it more sensible.

Why would you want to keep your cake instead of eating it? I dunno, some people freeze part of their wedding cake, I guess?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

lol but seriously I posted:

this is actually incredibly useful for politely responding to someone when you can't be bothered to really engage because your just so loving tired all the time

:agreed:

I could sit here and talk "until I am blue in the face", but it wouldn't make "a lick of difference."

You've "made up your mind" and I would just be "spittin' wind" to try and convince you otherwise.

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride".

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

for fucks sake posted:

Tell us where the idiom touched you.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

for fucks sake posted:

looks like someone wanted to have their cake and eat it too

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

litany of gulps posted:

For some time now, I've decided that GBS went from a reasonable place to read about things to a burning garbage trash fire. I was happy when it got deleted and I hoped it would stay that way. Now the first post I come back to the in new GBS is a contentless repeat of the trash phrase Wal-Mart managers and teachers tell each other to pretend that things aren't poo poo? By some dickhead with a poorly spelled historical nickname. Why did this garbage forum come back from the dead?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I'm playing the tiniest violin for you

with your dick :smuggo:

relevant idiom: "I'm playing the tiniest violin"

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Burt Sexual posted:

Tell us where the idiom touched you.

I would but I can't see my keyboard through the tears

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
It's six of one or a half-dozen of the other. Either way, sorry about your thread.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
:bahgawd: if it walks like a duck

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
I mean it isn't useless but it's funny how 'just blowing smoke up your rear end' was something that medical doctors used to actually do

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Suck the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013

BigwigML posted:

I usually don't post in threads but this is the exception that proves the rule

mm, from what i've read the meaning of "prove" in this case is an archaic way of saying "test" (like "proving ground"). so the exception tests the rule. much like the no parking on sundays example provided earlier, though a more accurate example would be no parking EXCEPT on sundays.

but it might actually be the most useless idiom because no one actually knows what it means.

Jul 30, 2013
and to clear up the other big argument, the original idiom is: you can't have your cake and eat it too. meaning you can either have a cake or you can eat it, you can't do both though (and spare me your arguments about eating just a bit of it or something).

like having a juicy bit of gossip on a friend or enemy; you can either gloat in only you knowing it or you can gloat in sharing it, but you can't do both.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

a gay lion named Tangiers posted:

like having a juicy bit of gossip on a friend or enemy; you can either gloat in only you knowing it or you can gloat in sharing it, but you can't do both.

What rear end in a top hat that gloats in having a bit of juicy gossip doesn't share it?

People often loving breathe.

Jul 30, 2013

VendaGoat posted:

What rear end in a top hat that gloats in having a bit of juicy gossip doesn't share it?

People often loving breathe.

what

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Current GBS rules prohibit me from responding in a cogent manner.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Yes but what's the point of having cake if you aren't eating it too unless you're holding it only to hand it off or to sell to somebody else in some kinda transaction?

"You can't take a bite of cake before giving it to someone else," is more of a social more, anyway. How about:

"You can't eat a cake and tell others you still have one (you lardass)!" No, fat-shaming is too risque for gaining much online traction these days. Instead, let's try:

"Somebody's gotta cut the cake - if only so we can all stop looking at it."

Dinosaurmageddon fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 29, 2016

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
these pretzels are making me thirsty

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hey gbs lets popularise 'suck the dick off a cold one' as an idiom for drinking beers

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

drowned in pussy juice posted:

Hey gbs lets popularise 'suck the dick off a cold one' as an idiom for drinking beers

Sorry, but this one is already in heavy use at my job down at the morgue, and it means something different.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"They dont think it be like it is, but it do"

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Sexier than socks on a rooster!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sokrateez posted:

"it is what it is"
Down, Right, Left, Down, Down, Right, Up. Select ''Balanced Team'' and press A
A message will pop up saying ''WHEN ISN'T IT?'' Edit that message to say ''WHEN IT IS.'' Note: Don't forget to add the period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you can't eat your cake and take it or leave it too

• Locked thread