Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
snow crash

candide

the forever war

actually these are the only books i've read more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

Ibogaine posted:

Incidentally, I also agree with anyone naming Dostoyesvky, Tolstoi or Chekhov. (Though with Chekhov, you would have to go for a compilation of short prose, I guess).

I just wondered: Is there any specific reason that in the 19th century, Russian literature reached such an incredible high? Maybe it's just my ignorance, but I don't know any Russian literature before the above mentioned, so for me it is as if all of a sudden, this great literature suddenly sprang into existence out of nothing.

I find that quite remarkable, yet I can not come up with an explanation. It`s even weirder when you consider that intellectuals made up a significantly smaller part of the population than they did in other European countries at the time. If anyone could point me to an explanation or a book on the subject, I would be genuinely grateful.

Russian literature before the 19th century was much less accessible, and generally considered inferior.

Your question is a very good one, though. I don't have an answer to it, but it is something that a lot of people wondered about over the years.
The writers lived in a relatively repressive society and had to exercise a lot of self-censorship, but still produced amazing stuff. Russian history is basically a story of government restriction and extermination of the intelligentsia.
How come that starting from Pushkin, they managed to create something that changed the way we read and think about literature?

One answer which I particularly like was expressed by Dmitry Bykov, a well-known contemporary Russian writer. He said that God created 19th century Russian literature so he'd have something to read.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
If you are into it, Albert Hoffman's "LSD: My Problem Child" and "Pharmacotheon" are both excellent drug nerd books :drugnerd:

e: clarification, Pharmacotheon is not Hoffman's work, it is Jonathan Ott's

weak wrists big dick fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 10, 2016

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

weak wrists big dick posted:

If you are into it, Albert Hoffman's "LSD: My Problem Child" and "Pharmacotheon" are both excellent drug nerd books :drugnerd:

Hoffman wrote an LSD book? Why did no one tell me?

I'll definitely put it on my list.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I've read Rules of Attraction like twenty-seven times.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Blood Meridian - By Cormac MacCarthy
The Man in the High Castle - By Philip K. Dick
Moby Dick - By Herman Melville

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
And honestly if you answered anything else you probably werent spanked enough as a child.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tales of the Dying Earth

Waiting for Godot + Hamlet + Rosencrantz and Guildernstern are Dead

Use of Weapons

----------------------

I'm proud of my garbage taste.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Go Dog Go by P.D. Eastman

Advanced Techniques of Clandestine Psychedelic & Amphetamine Manufacture by Uncle Fester

Where's the Poop by Julie Markes

B.H. Facials fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 10, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think I would rather just die than choose three.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Chaucer's Tales, specifically the copy I have that is from the 20s and has a bunch of really gorgeous waterpaint illustrations.

Anything by Mary Roach, who has yet to write a book that I don't love. I'll take a gamble and say the one I haven't read yet, so Grunt.

Finally, a book that I know really well but translated into a language I don't know, so that I can teach myself that language. I'll say the collected Sherlock Holmes stories, which are now sold as a single work and are meant to stand together, translated into French, which I know slightly.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

shove me like you do posted:

What about compilation sorts of books that are published? (short stories but especially poetry since I feel like its one of the most re-readable forms of writing) Because I'd go

1) Anathem (Neil Stephenson) This is the book I read slowly to ruminate over it and get a different outlook each time

2) The Robert Frost Collection for mulling over poetry

3) Gravity's Rainbow since god knows how many times i'll need to read it to really get everything in there.

(Assuming can't pick poetry collection then probably something cozy like the hobbit to idle away with)

Weird but slightly against the spirit of the thread pick:The Oxford English Etymology Dictionary since each word is its own story in a way and it'd be helpful in life more so than most books

Weird, I came into this thread to post #1 and #3 for exactly the same reasons, and I just minutes ago finished reading the wikipedia entry on Robert Burns because I've always meant to read more of his work. I don't think I'd pick that as my third choice though. I think if I could only read one more book for the rest of my life, it would have to be a cookbook, most likely The French Laundry since I already read that one the most.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
Do the Aubrey/Maturin books count as one? Because if so, I would scratch one of my previous choices and take them.

skeemon
Aug 4, 2007

$ $ $T R A P L O R D $ $ $

The Savage Detectives (Roberto Bolaño)
Tree of Smoke (Denis Johnson)

tie between Infinite Jest and Blood Meridian

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

realtalk: torah, nev'im and kethuvim

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Moby-Dick

Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson

Malcolm C. Lyons's translations of the One Thousand and One Nights

would probably hold me over for all time

Lookit this agreeable person

:hf:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

realtalk: torah, nev'im and kethuvim

Same but the Anne Rice books you can get by dropping one letter each and maybe adding an (or another) apostrophe.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
The Lord of the Rings is pretty much it. If we split it into the 3 component books, it's still pretty much it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Trunko posted:

These are also good but Moby Dick is not good at all

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Captain Yossarian posted:

i will loving drown you in a lake

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Yossarian posted:

I think it's good

I'd rather have a lot of stuff but still it's pretty good

If I'm limited to, like, American and foundational probably would be Leaves of Grass.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think it's good

I'd rather have a lot of stuff but still it's pretty good

If I'm limited to, like, American and foundational probably would be Leaves of Grass.
Leaves of Grass is cool and I was thinking a big book of poetry would be awesome.

I like the one with all the Rockwell Kent illustrations (he also did Moby-Dick).

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
literally all i ever read is sci fi

fantasy nerds gently caress off!!

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
A Gronking to Remember (I have this book)

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I re-read a lot of Kerouac, Bukowski, HST, and Burroughs books. I've read Blood Meridian three times now and Stephen King's IT four times.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Moby Dick was good, just not the funnest thing in the world to read

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

]
Also, if you are unable to smoke weed and read, you are just a weak rear end lightweight that doesn't smoke frequently enough to mitigate the memory loss effects

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

weak wrists big dick posted:

Also, if you are unable to smoke weed and read, you are just a weak rear end lightweight that doesn't smoke frequently enough to mitigate the memory loss effects

I can't smoke and read law school case books but I can smoke and read fiction for fun.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I would take In Search of Lost Time (Not Remembrance of Times Past), all of it, for the strength and clarity in the exactitude of the language, the satire, the wit, and it would provide endless hours of such reading.

Absalom, Absalom, as the perhaps #1 masterpiece of American literature, combining an epic narrative, expressive language, longstanding intrigues, romance, and destruction brought about by man's hubris

Pynchon's Against the Day, because Pynchon is brilliant, and Day is longer than Gravitys Rainbow, and somehow even less clear, which would give me much to puzzle over through the long years

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Doctor J Off posted:

I would take In Search of Lost Time (Not Remembrance of Times Past), all of it, for the strength and clarity in the exactitude of the language, the satire, the wit, and it would provide endless hours of such reading.

Absalom, Absalom, as the perhaps #1 masterpiece of American literature, combining an epic narrative, expressive language, longstanding intrigues, romance, and destruction brought about by man's hubris

Pynchon's Against the Day, because Pynchon is brilliant, and Day is longer than Gravitys Rainbow, and somehow even less clear, which would give me much to puzzle over through the long years

I'm reading against the day right now, my first Pynchon book. What the gently caress. Every time I pick it up I have no idea where I left off and can't remember any of the characters.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Trunko posted:

I would probably pick Ubik or the exegesis over The Man In The High Castle personally. I didn't like that one as much as a lot of his other books.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Moby's Fat Cock

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Moby Dick - the language is just so pretty and it flows so well. A few chapters are a slog each time (Cetology), but it has so many memorable lines. And the description of clam chowder in the Tri-Pots makes me hungry every time I read it.

The Odyssey - Kind of a standby, but it's so readable and has some nice repetitive phrases ("the wine-dark sea"). I also really like the sophistication of having Odysseus built up by his friends and family into this legendary figure in the early chapters, but the first time we actually see him he's sitting at the shore and weeping.

Command & Control by Eric Schlosser - basically just a catalog of accidents and near misses in the history of nuclear weapons, but it's riveting. I've read it three times already and it hasn't been out for very long. It always leaves me with a sense of awe that we've never had an accidental nuclear detonation or had a weapon stolen and detonated by a third party.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Anderron Shi posted:

I'm reading against the day right now, my first Pynchon book. What the gently caress. Every time I pick it up I have no idea where I left off and can't remember any of the characters.

I recommend using post it notes or making some kind of word document to make little notes to remember characters and plot points

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Doctor J Off posted:

I recommend using post it notes or making some kind of word document to make little notes to remember characters and plot points

Jeeze

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

The kid stays in the picture
Book of the new sun
Once and future king

Neuronancer in a real close fourth.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

dogmother1776 posted:

I would probably pick Ubik or the exegesis over The Man In The High Castle personally. I didn't like that one as much as a lot of his other books.

I didn't read the Exegesis but I'm guessing it's similar to VALIS. I liked VALIS, so I should probably read this as well.

How much of a mindfuck is it?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Slaughterhouse-Five was basically written by Vonnegut as a way of dealing with Dresden for him.

Billy Pilgrim isn't actually a time traveller, any more than anyone else is. He's just suffering from a really bad case of PTSD which is causing him to have flashbacks and hallucinations.

The Tralfamadorian's concept of how death isn't really death because they can see that person at any point of their life is exactly the kind of thing a PTSD war vet might come up with to deaden the impact of seeing people literally cooked in the streets.

It's not really anti-war in its intent, even if it does have those messages.

I don't think SH5 is Vonnegut's best book and it probably wouldn't be one I'd constantly want to reread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

That's an interesting point, one that isn't stressed enough.

My favourite book of his is probably the Sirens of Titan, but it's purely subjective.
And I don't think his books are really suited for multiple readings.

• Locked thread