Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

genesplicer posted:

No. I use large amounts of coffee to keep me going. Being drunk around kids at school is frowned upon quite severely. We had a noob teacher a few years ago who showed up to school a few times severely hung over. He was warned about this behavior. Then he showed up drunk off his rear end one morning. That was his last day. To add insult to insult to injury, he got pissed and drove off, only to be arrested for DWI.

I've heard stories about teachers drinking on the job, older teachers talking about the "old days" when such things were more common I guess. I understand it can very stressful but it's also extremely irresponsible. long ago an old retired former teacher/principal told me he was a daily pot smoker the entire time. Ive never known any confirmed active cases but I've known good teachers with big personalities who frankly wouldn't surprise me if they did but I never would assume that about people.

I know it's common for teachers to joke about drinking on the job, it's a common joke because it's so severely frowned upon.

The irony though is that I've literally heard a principal yell at a group of teachers that if they are stressed out they should go ask their doctor for pills. That being said, I know for a fact that teachers are popping legally prescribed pills on the regular.

It all seems rather silly to me how school systems view licit and illicit drug use, like anyone with a doctors note can pop pills like candy but the alcohol or weed user self medicating is seen as a total pariah.

I agree that alcohol has no place in a school of course but I think the way people are trained to think about this stuff is completely arbitrary and contradictory

TL;DR sobriety is good but ppl have stupid mixed up opinions about substance use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
From my brief stint in education, many people in education use substances to cope (typically after the day is done and not during though).

I remember having to do prep at some min wage job back in school and the store closed at 3am and I had to show up at 4am to do prep for some big discount day (we didn't open till around 10am) I promptly got two 1 liter bottles of coke at the store the night before and filled em each with a more than ample amount of whiskey. Got drunk doing prep and sobered up by the time customers showed up. My bosses both knew i was doing this and didn't care b/c I did my poo poo and was sober for the actual interacting part of the job. Going from drunk to sober over the course of a 12 hour shift is not fun for the sober half though, probably wouldn't repeat that one.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

the great deceiver posted:

yes i used to drink and get high on the clock pretty much every single shift but i am a cook so im not sure if that counts

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Stupid fukkin amateuer shitknobs....I had this job of taking photos (the paper/chemical kind) of people boarding a riverboat cruise. I'd process the pics and wait for the returning tourists to sell them the photos. I had to hang about 90 minutes in the party barge. Fully charged beer tap. Masturbation and naps had also occurred.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
In the last year of high school we'd go to the pub every lunchtime and play some pool and drink and have some food then I started work and I thought this was totally allowed and when I was told to not come back from lunch smelling like beer I thought they were joking for a few months.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Used to work with a guy who would do whippets using whipped cream cans when he was too broke for weed. I was too stoned to care tho

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

shove me like you do posted:

Used to work with a guy who would do whippets using whipped cream cans when he was too broke for weed. I was too stoned to care tho

I think i also worked for this guy

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
There's a reason why I picked this username. :cheers:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Drunken Baker posted:

There's a reason why I picked this username. :cheers:

Put all the poo poo in the ovens then do a line and smoke ciggies and drink for an hour or whatever.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Bakers are only second to Butchers in their depravity

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I don't like getting hosed up while on the job. If I'm getting paid to do something I loving do it. Gotta protect that kind of rep.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I don't like getting hosed up while on the job. If I'm getting paid to do something I loving do it. Gotta protect that kind of rep.

Won't get promoted to foreman of the factory without this kind of attitude.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Maybe like 6months ago I got to work and this old maori lady was working on the dock. She was sweeping the floor and brought me this bag that was like a huge ziplock with a heap of white powder in there. I asked her to give it to me and I opened it up and put my finger in it and licked it. I said "yep its speed". I give the bag back to her and the boss walks up and im kinda like retching going "Its speed! its speed!" while shes holding this bag of probably like $500 worth of speed.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Workplace drunks pretend no one notices, and workplace drunk workmates pretend not to notice. Really? What guy with the bulbous Rosacea busted blood vessel WC Fields nose, deranged grin, black eye, and flammable breath who thinks everything is funny?

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
I yelled at my gf today for drinking a whole handle of my vodka. But it turns out it was actually me who drank it.

I won't be drinking at work, just before work, during the carpool and right after. Maybe a little at work.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Marv Hushman posted:

Workplace drunks pretend no one notices, and workplace drunk workmates pretend not to notice. Really? What guy with the bulbous Rosacea busted blood vessel WC Fields nose, deranged grin, black eye, and flammable breath who thinks everything is funny?

What shop did i work with you at

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
At my old job the owners would take the whole week of Christmas off even though they were Jewish and like offered to let us take it off but without pay so lol gently caress that, anyway they were paying me way too much money and I was the most senior employee so when they took off I'd go buy some liquor and a bunch of beer for everyone in the office and we would just get tanked and talk about how much we hated our bosses.

Once we all got drunk we would just go back to our desks and watch Netflix and poo poo it was cool

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe
I used to smoke weed OTJ all day but then I learned how to cook a ounce into coco oil and now I get so high i cant even remember what Im trying to do and I swear its the best way to work period. No smell, no cancer, eating weed while clocked in, is the answer

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

the ol pump-n-bump posted:

I used to smoke weed OTJ all day but then I learned how to cook a ounce into coco oil and now I get so high i cant even remember what Im trying to do and I swear its the best way to work period. No smell, no cancer, eating weed while clocked in, is the answer

i had weed oil and weed food made from weed oil for like 10 days straight and lemme tell ya it wasnt good on my guts

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Gastrointestinal Distress

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
I had a problem with my last batch of weed oil; I kept mixing it with benzos and waking up a day later. The problem is that I now am out of oil and can't remember the past half month... but apparently i kept showing up to work so all is groovy, baby.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
leaky gut syndrome sucks yo

mine went away when i stopped putting nose candy in my g&ts

if yo nose cant handle the candy, yo guts cant either friends

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

treerat posted:

I had a problem with my last batch of weed oil; I kept mixing it with benzos and waking up a day later. The problem is that I now am out of oil and can't remember the past half month... but apparently i kept showing up to work so all is groovy, baby.

I was doing so much codeine im on the 'dont sell this guy codeine' list. Probably added to my bad guts

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

I work at a hotel and we have one of those manager's receptions, where-in we give out free alcohol and snacks.

While I'm working at my desk in the back office, I'll mosey on over, grab a coffee cup, and pour myself some white wine. I do this about twice a week and drink two cups - equaling to a bottle of wine.

The buzz helps while mindlessly plugging away at excel spreadsheets.

Edit: And everyone should know this by now - but for those that don't:

Starbucks Venti iced cups hold a whole bottle of wine. You're welcome.

Caeks fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 18, 2016

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

treerat posted:

leaky gut syndrome sucks yo

mine went away when i stopped putting nose candy in my g&ts

if yo nose cant handle the candy, yo guts cant either friends

:madmax:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
my work shares a parking lot with a 24 hour supermarket so as long as its not between the hours of 3-7 am or a sunday i can mosey on over and buy a tallboy/backwoods

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
just stroll in back of the market and have a drink with some itinerants

theyll prob bum you a fag if you ask nice and be cool, or else mug you for your drink if you deserve it

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

write "at a meeting" on the tiny whiteboard on my office door and either go into the crawlspace and drink from lunch to end of shift, or if the crawlspace is occupied I'll go to my car and do the same and drive home at like 9pm when I wake up.

the ideal crawlspace is a place in an empty storage room where a wall panel comes out and you can get in there and sleep or drink. if I died in there nobody would know except the other employees who hog the crawlspace when it's not their turn.

protip for all you recent college grads: make up a fake person and put it on your shared calendar that you have a meeting with them. seems like you'd get caught but after 8 years I don't think that's happening

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
i have had two tax paying jobs in my life.

my only firing was my first job, fired for nappng in the walk in freezer.

they suspected me of filching booze but it wasnt me, just a scumbag coworker who knew he could deflect blame on me.

be careful when you nap at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tom Gorman posted:

write "at a meeting" on the tiny whiteboard on my office door and either go into the crawlspace and drink from lunch to end of shift, or if the crawlspace is occupied I'll go to my car and do the same and drive home at like 9pm when I wake up.

the ideal crawlspace is a place in an empty storage room where a wall panel comes out and you can get in there and sleep or drink. if I died in there nobody would know except the other employees who hog the crawlspace when it's not their turn.

protip for all you recent college grads: make up a fake person and put it on your shared calendar that you have a meeting with them. seems like you'd get caught but after 8 years I don't think that's happening

Incredible

• Locked thread