Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Spider Covets

Splatmaster posted:

I will take a bong rip for everyone who emptyquotes this if it will help you out because you yourself can't or don't partake. Or hell, even if you can but just want to know you made some guy do a bong rip, I don't care. I'll try to hold it in but it's a pretty big bong so don't count on me zeroing that poo poo or anything. Bring it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas

:harambe:

Is there a way for someone with HR experience to help people in job workshops or something? I don't know where to start and I've been channeling most of my energy into stress eating chicken nuggets (as opposed to ironically eating them)

eonwe

A Spider Covets posted:

This has been good for me too. I got really pissy and decided to write some nice notes for a few of my friends to see if it made me feel better instead of venting. It did, and it made them happy, so I'd recommend giving that a shot if you feel upset.

As for political climate, I've been trying to encourage my liberal friends to consider why the Democrats lost the election, rather than why Trump won. It's led to a lot of good discussion and introspection, and is a conversation I'd like to see being made more commonplace over the next few years.

Small things but I'm not really a big activist, just a homebody. Maybe other homebodies get something out of the post.

you are a good person, covets

Metal Pink Babble

by FactsAreUseless

Splatmaster posted:

I will take a bong rip for everyone who emptyquotes this if it will help you out because you yourself can't or don't partake. Or hell, even if you can but just want to know you made some guy do a bong rip, I don't care. I'll try to hold it in but it's a pretty big bong so don't count on me zeroing that poo poo or anything. Bring it!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

A Spider Covets

eonwe posted:

you are a good person, covets

:blush: s-so are you, eonwe senpai

----------------

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Business Gorillas posted:

Is there a way for someone with HR experience to help people in job workshops or something? I don't know where to start and I've been channeling most of my energy into stress eating chicken nuggets (as opposed to ironically eating them)

only eat nuggets unironically if they're dino nuggets, that's like the first rule of bad food.

in what region are you located? dress for success is calling for volunteers to help train women to apply for jobs, succeed in interviews, basic office skills, etc. they're a great organization and helped me a lot when i needed a hand up.

City of Glompton

hamjobs posted:

only eat nuggets unironically if they're dino nuggets, that's like the first rule of bad food.

in what region are you located? dress for success is calling for volunteers to help train women to apply for jobs, succeed in interviews, basic office skills, etc. they're a great organization and helped me a lot when i needed a hand up.

I :love: D4S, I used to work at a job where I referred people to them all the time, and they were great. They also did turkey baskets every Thanksgiving for our clients. Really good group imo. I will see if they could use my help where I am.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
My wife is crocheting bi pride wristbands for the parade tomorrow :love:

Shame Wagon

I will preach an ideology of working class leftism at every opportunity, using my professional level conflict resolution, leadership and marketing skills to make it appealing to people on both the left and right. I will not allow frustration with people who disagree with me to drive me to hostility. I will acknowledge but not denigrate the flaws of both progressive and conservative dialogue, and attempt to do better. I will not focus on the worst of my opposition, but will instead appeal to their better nature.

Senior Management

Shame Wagon posted:

I will preach an ideology of working class leftism at every opportunity, using my professional level conflict resolution, leadership and marketing skills to make it appealing to people on both the left and right. I will not allow frustration with people who disagree with me to drive me to hostility. I will acknowledge but not denigrate the flaws of both progressive and conservative dialogue, and attempt to do better. I will not focus on the worst of my opposition, but will instead appeal to their better nature.

This is good because the easiest way to make an enemy is to declare people your enemy. Lots of people will be driven away even if they could be convinced to your side by rudeness. Furthermore it is not good to lose yourself to rage and anger and become a permanent resident of the rudezone.

:jerry:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Ok, caught up on all the bong rips I owed people.

I have a message of hope!

My wife and I listened to a podcast yesterday that was made on Wednesday between Rachel Maddow and Senator Elizabeth Warren, and Senator Warren made an excellent point for directing your energy to someplace that really matters. Volunteer for Planned Parenthood. Under the next administration you can expect to see an attack on contraceptives and birth control in general, Pence will see to that. By volunteering with Planned Parenthood you can fight back directly, because defunding the programs Planned Parenthood supports will put an even greater demand on the community to help out to keep their doors open. Any program in the crosshairs of the upcoming administration is an opportunity to do something positive for change. Don't ever give up, you are not alone!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Read James Baldwin.

----------------

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

misty mountaintop posted:

Read James Baldwin.

yes. and donate copies to a reading group or local lending library, because we're gonna need to get it in the hands of everyone.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Just want to echo the thoughts here on getting involved in your community, meeting your neighbors and trying to do nice things for the people around you

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Read James Baldwin.

and, more contemporarily, Ta-Nehisi Coates

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

what do you guys think about starting a local everyone-welcome book club to read books about creating good change/politics/history/feminism/international relations, etc.? i kind of want to build one anyway for selfish reasons, and i have a friend who owns two little local bookstores. good idea? nail it down to more specific themes?

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

hamjobs posted:

yes. and donate copies to a reading group or local lending library, because we're gonna need to get it in the hands of everyone.

Thank you, this is a great idea and I am going to do it.

Puppy Doll

Hey everybody!

hamjobs posted:

what do you guys think about starting a local everyone-welcome book club to read books about creating good change/politics/history/feminism/international relations, etc.? i kind of want to build one anyway for selfish reasons, and i have a friend who owns two little local bookstores. good idea? nail it down to more specific themes?

i think it's a good idea! my only suggestion is to incorporate intersectional works, like books about black lgbt history!

alnilam

Read James Baldwin.

I haven't, what title?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Puppy Doll posted:

i think it's a good idea! my only suggestion is to incorporate intersectional works, like books about black lgbt history!

yes yes yes yes yes. i'm going with audre lord and lorraine hansbury, and then lots of langston hughes because i like him, a lot.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

alnilam posted:

I haven't, what title?

The Fire Next Time is as good a place to start as any.

Lawrence Gilchrist

My new neighbor saw me chilling and we had a nice friendly welcome chat. He was really sweet and I gave him a hug.

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
This thread makes me feel good

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

My new neighbor saw me chilling and we had a nice friendly welcome chat. He was really sweet and I gave him a hug.

you're a good egg, lawrence gilchrist. you guys give me warm feelings and i'm proud of you all. drat.

a nice thing to do, if you don't have a lot of time and money but you do have crafty ways, is to make a warm clothing item to donate to someone who needs it. this winter is going to be really harsh, and especially so when people are feeling abandoned more than ever.

Craftsy also has a list of places that accept warm clothing or afghan squares as donations for childrens' charities like Project Linus and homeless charities like Warm Up America! and others. https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/03/crocheting-and-knitting-for-charity/

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Interesting piece by Baldwin from a book called "Black on White: Black Writers on What It Means to Be White edited by David R. Roediger"

http://collectiveliberation.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Baldwin_On_Being_White.pdf

The whole book is amazing and was part of the required reading for an Anthro class I took which was taught by one of my absolutely best teachers of all time

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

hamjobs posted:

this sounds great. i'd like an approachable reading list to get back up to date with & learn stuff i probably missed.

it's dorky as heck but this twin peaks clip consoled me and inspires me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf0ZvY2usbY

anyway i went to a community action meeting tonight. aside from a brief breakdown with heckling and some outbursts, the meeting was remarkably positive and proactive. we're a liberal state in a big mess of new england liberal states, so many people are committed not only to forming regional organizational alliances, but also to figuring out how we can use our position to help people elsewhere if and when they need us.

as for me, i'm pretty committed to pursuing reproductive justice and lgbtq equality in the coming years. planned parenthood is, i think, worth our time and energy. i'd like to also nth the call to support the aclu. another thing i want to look into is helping out indigent defendants who are represented by public defenders. i did a little of this in a tiny, southern town almost a decade ago, but i don't know what the process is like in my current town.

i've read some kind of disturbing rumors about #translawhelp. are the people behind that/the ankh project thing also related to the trans law center? one thing i want to avoid is accidentally supporting grifters hijacking good causes.

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Mortley

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
i changed my profiles on social media to a specific call for action (donating to a refugee shelter - https://www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/2TLP1ZGD7AWQ4 - that i've worked at before and consider Good)

then i started to post that in this thread and i thought to myself about myself lol slacktivist what about doing something not on social media lmao loser

then i remembered that i'm part of and helping to organize/put on a workshop about your rights under a thing and then a benefit show that will get some donations to the aclu then i was like ok you're alright kid

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Mortley posted:

i changed my profiles on social media to a specific call for action (donating to a refugee shelter - https://www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/2TLP1ZGD7AWQ4 - that i've worked at before and consider Good)

then i started to post that in this thread and i thought to myself about myself lol slacktivist what about doing something not on social media lmao loser

then i remembered that i'm part of and helping to organize/put on a workshop about your rights under a thing and then a benefit show that will get some donations to the aclu then i was like ok you're alright kid

you're alright no matter what and thank you for the link--as well as the workshop! you are also a good egg.

Im Ready for DEATH

One thing I do is try to cut calories here or there, like maybe don't put ketchup on my burger or maybe put a little less International Delight coffee creamer in my coffee. It really adds up in the long run and I guarantee you will see a change.

Jolyne Cujoh

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
This is a step toward very personal change, but I've doubled up my efforts to find a place for me and my girlfriend to live, get a job and move to a place where I can be far safer and healthier in the wake of, well, everything. Once all that happens I plan to get way more active in local government and organizations, and also will probably start donating way more to charities and stuff outside of my usual weed and sex number donations to various extra life streams

Ace of Baes
Read this article then contact your congressional representatives

http://www.attn.com/stories/12768/former-congressional-staffer-explains-how-to-make-congressman-listen

Flyball

Ace of Baes posted:

Go to your local Democratic headquarters and start getting involved, the Democratic party is about to go through some major shifts and the people there on the ground floor are gonna influence how it changes, and will determine if we get 4 years of Trump or 8.

The DNC Chair Election: How you can get involved

In California:

This is when it starts getting real for shaping the party

quote:

2017 Assembly District Election Meetings (ADEMs)
Date: Saturday, January 07 – Sunday, January 08, 2017

Ticket(s) Required: No

The California Democratic Party is convening assembly delegate election meetings in each of the state’s 80 Assembly Districts on Saturday, January 7 or Sunday 8, 2017 (ADEMs). At this meeting, 14 people (7 men / 7 women) will be elected and represent their Assembly District at the 2017 and 2018 State Conventions. They will elect one person to represent the Assembly District on the State Party’s Executive Board.

California Democratic Party

FluffieDuckie

after days of looking for the right place to volunteer, I found a group that works with immigrants and refugees in our area who was looking for a volunteer with my skill set so I sent in an application.

I figure it's a small step but at least I'll have something positive to do with my time other than cursing at the sky.

I'm still looking for a way to help in a more political way that won't rob my soul but i haven't figured that one out yet

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

FluffieDuckie

oh and i finally finished my resume and uploaded it to the volunteer site so that should facilitate getting placements in the future

hell i'm on a roll today

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
My 75 year old parents spent their day setting up for an annual UU craft/harvest fair that raises funds for charities and when i spoke to them tonight they were on their way to the county jail to pay the bail for someone they'd never met because of an organization they're involved in that tries to help people who have been screwed by our justice system. I can only hope I do anything this year that is comparable to what they do every day. They believe in community.

Ace of Baes

FluffieDuckie posted:

after days of looking for the right place to volunteer, I found a group that works with immigrants and refugees in our area who was looking for a volunteer with my skill set so I sent in an application.

I figure it's a small step but at least I'll have something positive to do with my time other than cursing at the sky.

I'm still looking for a way to help in a more political way that won't rob my soul but i haven't figured that one out yet
Go to town halls with state and local politicians, or call them, tell them your concerns, ask them what they plan to do about them. It doesn't take a lot of effort but it makes more of a difference than 10,000 social media posts

----------------

alnilam

FluffieDuckie posted:

:)

alnilam

Luvcow posted:

My 75 year old parents spent their day setting up for an annual UU craft/harvest fair that raises funds for charities and when i spoke to them tonight they were on their way to the county jail to pay the bail for someone they'd never met because of an organization they're involved in that tries to help people who have been screwed by our justice system. I can only hope I do anything this year that is comparable to what they do every day. They believe in community.

:)

Mortley

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

FluffieDuckie posted:

haha i didn't think helping refugees was political either until i did it. still don't think it should be but it definitely is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal

There he go
i wish I could help like that but im a broke shithead who only has a high school degree

• Locked thread