Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raere
Dec 13, 2007

once you make sys admin be sure to sneer at the help desk plebs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
learn how to click things and follow directions
buy lots of polo shirts

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

shoophobo posted:

buy lots of polo shirts

Solid life advice for all mammals.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I don't know how computers work

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I don't know how computers work

You know how ones and zeros work? Just imagine a bunch if those.

Knight007au
May 8, 2007

The Management posted:

You know how ones and zeros work? Just imagine a bunch if those.

Are they on a Cliff?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

shoophobo posted:

buy lots of polo shirts

or if youre on the west coast, a nice collection of hoodies will suffice

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

FedEx Mercury posted:

The only thing I know about IT is that they're the guys I get mad at when our file server gets slow. They're the worst!

Your file server is slow because you keep using characters other than semi-colon to delimit email addresses. Also you tried to drop the same file so many times that you caused a deadlock. Learn how to do your loving job and be patient when you're sending out a 2gb txt file you loving rear end in a top hat.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
1. Learn google
2. Trust google
3. Google takes care of you, google does your job
4. Do what google says
5. Get paid :smug:

This doesnt just apply to help desk anymore either. If some idiot suit comes up to you and is all like, "hey, I loving pay you, make me a database." and you dont know jack poo poo about even excel. Dont worry google still has you covered. "How 2 make database" oughta do it. I seem like I'm being sarcastic but I am in fact not.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
My best tip is to get a degree in just about any STEM-related field during the 1990s, mess about with hobbyist computer programming a little extra on the side (most efficient if you begin this already in the 1980s when you're in grade school), graduate a good while before the bursting of the great dot-com bubble, and get hired for a nice and secure but not terribly exciting public-sector programming job (so you don't lose it when said bubble bursts). Then just kind of keep doing that for the next few decades.

I guess that might not be directly useful to you.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
you dont need a STEM degree to make like 70k it really is:

Nathilus posted:

1. Learn google
2. Trust google
4. Do what google says

This doesnt just apply to help desk anymore either. If some idiot suit comes up to you and is all like, "hey, I loving pay you, make me a database." and you dont know jack poo poo about even excel. Dont worry google still has you covered. "How 2 make database" oughta do it. I seem like I'm being sarcastic but I am in fact not.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

basic hitler posted:

# 2. Apply somewhere for some 39 hour week 'part time' helpdesk job at a call center
lol @ any job where you interact directly with a customer
never again

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

thathonkey posted:

you dont need a STEM degree to make like 70k it really is:

"hey could you make me a NoSQL database using MongoDB for a thing we're going to build which probably needs to deal with 2,000 concurrent transactions"

Good luck googling that

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Nathilus posted:

1. Learn google
2. Trust google
4. Do what google says

i literally nailed an interview when they asked what i would do if i was stuck on a problem i didnt know the solution to and i said search stackexchange
the moron answer they do not want to hear is ask a senior developer or project lead. it sounds good for hand-holding jobs but lmao if you think thats how poo poo is gonna work in software development

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Clamps McGraw posted:

"hey could you make me a NoSQL database using MongoDB for a thing we're going to build which probably needs to deal with 2,000 concurrent transactions"

Good luck googling that
(the joke here is that you can eliminate the redundant keywords in this problem to the single relevant search term "mongodb") :ssh:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Clamps McGraw posted:

Good luck googling that

you only make 70k for doing work like that? yikes

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
but i only know how to make sql databases with mongodb!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

gary oldmans diary posted:

i literally nailed an interview when they asked what i would do if i was stuck on a problem i didnt know the solution to and i said search stackexchange
the moron answer they do not want to hear is ask a senior developer or project lead. it sounds good for hand-holding jobs but lmao if you think thats how poo poo is gonna work in software development

pretty much. if somebody comes to ask me a question i know they couldve found on google or stack overflow i get very irritated. i only want people asking me poo poo specific to our systems

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i gotta eat some food. i said stack exchange where i meant overflow and im using "literally" literally everywhere it doesnt make sense

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Clamps McGraw posted:

Good luck googling that

Learning to google involves learning to break big projects down into discrete segments that you can then get google's opinion on. You can't just say "google do x with y specs" but it can still carry your clueless rear end all the way through a big loving project if you simply learn what to ask.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's all about learning what to google and how to fashion your query and then with experience comes figuring out which results are written by competent people and are applicable to your situation

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You will also probably want to get one of these.

They are necessary for interacting with your neck beard and H1B visa coworkers.

bleep.bloop
Jun 19, 2016

Oh, dear leader!
My advice to your OP is to just go around telling everyone you work with how to solve all of their problems. Also tell them your opinions on what are the best stores to shop at, but don't frame them as opinions. Rather, tell them that adamantly and unrelentingly that they should go to these stores until they stop talking to you about anything.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Have you tried polarizing the deflector dish?

yes but only in one flux pattern.... good idea!

edit: if you're getting started for the love of god try to avoid working in an untyped language (ruby, javascript, whatever,) things like scala and ML or whatever are much easier to think about and maintain some semblance of sanity

Mozi fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 8, 2016

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I have no particular hopes or aspirations in life. Right now I am getting paid to watch a liquid solution heat up on a screen and press the e-stop if something blows up. I know some things about computers and can google p well. Could the computer custodial arts be right for me? I enjoy drinking already so that won't be much of a lifestyle change.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
You know an awesome way to get into IT now that I think of it... the military. The pay is pretty good compared to civilians but you can be terrible at IT at the same time. They also keep you up to date with any training/certs you want to do.

The big part of that though are the perks like sweet rear end home loans and free child care. Holy poo poo are those huge.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
2 Start doing tech support for a local ISP
3 Move into web design
4 Become highly paid web consultant during dotcom boom
5 Become unemployed briefly during dotcom bust
6 Become senior application developer for stable large company

1 Go back in time

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Just talk about Star Citizen in the break room

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Withnail posted:

2 Start doing tech support for a local ISP
3 Move into web design
4 Become highly paid web consultant during dotcom boom
5 Become unemployed briefly during dotcom bust
6 Become senior application developer for stable large company

1 Go back in time

I still see plenty of stupid babys making bank with the easiest languages possible, javascript/css/html. Front end developers make pretty good money, entry level is 60k here in Columbus. Which comparatively is like 800k a year in a liberal commie megalopolis considering cost of living.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I saw an IT guy get fired for being a useless jerk once. Like, literally that - he was rude and couldn't even keep our printers and network going reliably. We had some basic thing go wrong involving printing and the IT guy came along, grunted, and gave an estimate for a weeks worth of work to fix it. "That'll take about a week, should be ready by next Tuesday."

One of the younger salesman called his bluff, went to the manager and said "Actually all we need to do is fix a few permissions, it's literally a 2 minute fix." and when that proved to be true, fired the grumpy IT man on the spot. It owned.

Later it turned out mr criminal genius IT guy was embezzling money from the company by setting up a small LLC (or something like that) and grossly overcharging the company as well as keeping some of the gear. They only caught him because they fired him for incompetence and looked over some of the stuff he used his budget for. He had a bunch of laptops and server stuff in his apartment; he was just selling it on eBay.

I think he's now facing jail time if he doesn't pay his fines and restitution, and since he won't be able to find work in IT anywhere around here anymore, that seems more and more likely. All because he was a grumpy, lazy jerk.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 8, 2016

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

donut sine yore poets

bleep.bloop
Jun 19, 2016

Oh, dear leader!

pants in my pants posted:

I have no particular hopes or aspirations in life. Right now I am getting paid to watch a liquid solution heat up on a screen and press the e-stop if something blows up. I know some things about computers and can google p well. Could the computer custodial arts be right for me? I enjoy drinking already so that won't be much of a lifestyle change.

This perfectly describes a life in IT, except occasionally the solution blows up in the middle of the night while you're sleeping and you have to go in and clean it up at 3am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i agreed to be available outside of work but i never agreed to be sober for it

• Locked thread