Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
do mutants have mutaints?

these are the questions we will face in donald trump's america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

qkkl posted:

Crysis really was a revolutionary game IMO, similar to Half-Life. They tried implementing so many interesting new concepts and managed to make some of them work well. Unfortunately they saw the COD money and tried to emulate it in Crysis 2 and beyond and failed.

They also both sucked rear end when they got to the alien part.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But Half Life's second half was all about aliens!

Yeah, and it loving sucked, too.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

mike12345 posted:

What does id do these days? Where they involved with Doom 2016? Carmack is all Occulus and rockets now iirc.

AFAIK they are closer to software developers than video game developers since the acquisition by ZeniMax

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why did you think they called it Half-Life, hmm? :smug:

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
In the near future I predict you'll have to watch an ad before respawning.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Gorilla Salad posted:

nah it was pretty good, but I understand casuals had trouble with it

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

oh dope posted:

In the near future I predict you'll have to watch an ad before respawning.

gently caress you. This will happen.

Also if you don't have a plan to rip off the highest value assets the moment you aren't paid you aren't playing the game right.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Piracy will be the moral choice in a few years for non indie games

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

basic hitler posted:

qkkl if you're some loving activision or EA executive testing the waters with your brilliant idea i just want you to know i will see the earth beneath your office razed and salted before I ever pay $100 for a video game.

people are already paying $100+ for video games through season passes and microtransactions so really the time to start blowing poo poo up has already passed

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Not really. I think it's dumb to buy dlc ahead of time but in the case of witcher 3 a season pass got you like 60 more hours of gameplay for $30 which is the equivalent of two or three expansion packs back in the old days.

Raising the base cost of games just means people will be paying upwards of $130 which is loving unacceptable sorry.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
it is dumb but people are still doing it

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

they're not, what they're doing is fundamentally different, but whatever be stubborn

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Poetic Justice posted:

10 years later and not even Crytek can run Crysis.

why did you retards itt ignore this post

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm talking about $100 for a Half-Life 3-esque game, one that takes 6 years or more to develop and doesn't have cosmetics or DLC to boost revenue. If people are willing to pay $100 to watch a pay-per-view boxing match they would be willing to pay that much for a once-in-a-decade game.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i am not willing to pay $100 for a base game. In a vacuum, I might pay that for HL3 because were coming up on the 10th anniversary of that horseshit cliffhanger in Episode 2, but if one base game successfully sells at $100, then every lovely and mediocre developer and publisher will make that the across-the board price, because that's now what the market will sustain. 100% gently caress that and gently caress you for sharing it in a place where these people might be listening.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

I had forgotten about the mutants in far cry and that part of the game is maybe the least fun ive ever had in a video game.

It might not have been so bad if the missile launcher guys had their health cut in half, at least. Literally emptying almost every round from an M4 into the face of a creature who's head is still roughly the same size as a normal person's is ridiculous in a game where the face of elite troops has a separate hit box from the helmet, making under-visor headshots a thing.

And unlimited rockets, unlimited sight range, and there are hundreds of the bastards.....I really enjoyed FC1 but god drat crytek can't tweak for poo poo. Same goes for respawning check points in FC2 and that unfixable bug for the Jackal tapes; it's meaningless but I wanted to do it right, drat it!

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 15, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

FC2 was Ubisoft. That's why their next game in the series was Crysis, because they didn't lock up the rights for far cry. Crysis was proof they didn't learn their lesson at all. Part of the game is a gorgeous showcase for their engine, and the other part of their game is a big goddamn boring slog of a letdown.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

FC2 was Ubisoft. That's why their next game in the series was Crysis, because they didn't lock up the rights for far cry. Crysis was proof they didn't learn their lesson at all. Part of the game is a gorgeous showcase for their engine, and the other part of their game is a big goddamn boring slog of a letdown.

Whoops, that's right. gently caress, now I actually wanna do FC1 despite the bullshit.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Some Swedish guy who worked at the German office as an artist wants to sue them. So far his gofundme to get a lawyer is going great.
https://www.gofundme.com/legal-action-against-crytek

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

The_Franz posted:

FarCry and Crysis were fun when you were skulking around islands having jungle gunfights with soldiers. The problem is that during the planning meetings, when that one guy stood up and said "WE NEED MUTANTS AND ALIENS THAT KILL YOU INSTANTLY AND TAKE 9000 ROUNDS TO DIE", they actually listened to him instead of throwing pens at him and telling him to go away.
I barely remember Far Cry even though I bought it release week and killed it with my 256MB GPU, but the part I do remember is where some crazy gorilla things are running around and I was like "WHAAAAAAAT???" and went and got cheats so I could bypass that garbage and get back to enjoying killing people on the island.

For that reason, Just Cause 2 is way funner.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

qkkl posted:

I'm talking about $100 for a Half-Life 3-esque game, one that takes 6 years or more to develop and doesn't have cosmetics or DLC to boost revenue. If people are willing to pay $100 to watch a pay-per-view boxing match they would be willing to pay that much for a once-in-a-decade game.

and those people who paid 100 for mayweather-pacquiao were pissed because that fight was dogshit and boxing's relevance dropped immediately after so that's not exactly a good comparison

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

basic hitler posted:

at least the aliens part of crysis is just the tail end of it. it's maybe 30 minutes of gameplay.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Unreal engine is the better game

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
crysis 1 AND 2 are really good. i am a big fan of crysis 2

it does an admirable job of being an 80s scifi B movie, its a fun 8 hour campaign that i enjoyed every second of despite its many glaring issues. it becomes a little but of a slog but nowhere near as bad as the first game

crysis 1 is also really good but in a completely opposite free-form way where the campaign truly sucks but each loving gigantic level is really fun to mess around in for a few hours because it's so nonlinear

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

qkkl posted:

AAAA titles that cost a shitload of money are 9 out of 10 times destined for failure. look at star citizen

it seems counter-intuitive but despite the fact that you have very high production values it doesn't guarantee a good game and if anything a lot of money means pressure from investors to homogenize

all of the big name titles this year being really loving bad or at most the bare minimum of what people expected should clue you in

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
This thread reminded me to by DOOM, so I did.

I hope it is good.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
DOOM, a reboot remake of an ancient fossil with the last good sequel still being sprite based, by an rpg company... was the only memorable gaming thing to me from the whole year.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lodin posted:

Some Swedish guy who worked at the German office as an artist wants to sue them. So far his gofundme to get a lawyer is going great.
https://www.gofundme.com/legal-action-against-crytek

20k€ to hire a lawyer for what should be a routine case? Is he trying to hire Johnny Cochran's German counterpart?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

The_Franz posted:

20k€ to hire a lawyer for what should be a routine case? Is he trying to hire Johnny Cochran's German counterpart?

Johann Koch

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

The Protagonist posted:

DOOM, a reboot remake of an ancient fossil with the last good sequel still being sprite based, by an rpg company... was the only memorable gaming thing to me from the whole year.

Zenimax is just a group of lawyers. Id's pedigree is fps to begin with, just like Bethesda Softworks' is rpg.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I got bored of Crysis when I found out my futuristic super soldier with high tech armor was marginally stronger than a starving North Korean conscript

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Play it on the easiest setting if you weren't Mary Sue enough, stupid.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9qHaFV0sjE

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

nigga crab pollock posted:

AAAA titles that cost a shitload of money are 9 out of 10 times destined for failure. look at star citizen

it seems counter-intuitive but despite the fact that you have very high production values it doesn't guarantee a good game and if anything a lot of money means pressure from investors to homogenize

all of the big name titles this year being really loving bad or at most the bare minimum of what people expected should clue you in
nowadays, any game that could be referred to as "triple-A" has a big corporate publisher behind it that will demand the game is trivially easy, impossible to not beat, and geared to the lowest common denominator so as to maximize sales to kiddies and others who complain on the internet when a game contains challenging parts. so yeah, they're all awful.

even crysis 1 comes dangerously close to being this (invisibility, infinite health, levels overflowing with ammo)

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

CharlestonJew posted:

I got bored of Crysis when I found out my futuristic super soldier with high tech armor was marginally stronger than a starving North Korean conscript

And the Korean knock off versions are 20x stronger than your own.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lol (from that guy's "fund me a lawyer" kickstarter)

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
Good. 'Cry' games were poo poo, and boring.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

qkkl posted:

They'll sell copies at $100. It just won't be enough to justify the cost. If a million people buy it at $100, cool. But if 2 million would have bought at $60, you left $20m on the table.

There's probably some finance/numbers dude that gets paid a lot and looks at tons of sales data over the years to determine what the best price point is. Just because something costs more doesn't mean the company is getting more money.

Besides the idea with the DLC and cosmetic stuff is to reel them in with the base game then string them along for several smaller payments. My friend has spent $125 on the new Warhammer Total War game but I doubt he would have shelled it out all at once - as opposed to buying the base game, then a DLC, then another, and so on. Yeah the cost might be the same in the end but psychology of sales matters. Plus there's all the customers who would get DLC but not all the DLC so they only end up paying like $80 that the 'all costs upfront' model would miss.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

if you make half life 3, and your name is Valve, i am not paying $100 for it. I am going to play it. But you'd better have a compelling steam sale or a discount code for pre-ordering the orange box or i'm playing it for free.

• Locked thread