Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

like- it's not loving hard:
  • what did you do
  • why did you do it

you can even condense those two down into a single sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

stash lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
er i mean, bitbucket server

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bloody posted:

i open sourcetree

I could tell this is sourcetree because I use it and it's gotten terrible lately. I have filed at least 3 bug reports per week for the last month because it's turning into poo poo.

Someone on the bug tracker said that 1.7 where the decline really started. They obviously hired some new guys ~6 months ago and fired all their testers, and also despite their claims that they are dogfooding this poo poo they don't actually have any bug reports from any of their staff.

Is there a good windows alternative that my boss doesn't have to pay money for? Because he doesn't value my time at all, I guess salary comes out of a separate budget from salary somehow

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 21, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

carry on then posted:

basically this but instead it's "integration" that only gets promoted to master if the cd continuous build is green

also it's 80 instead of 8

lol if your boss can "afford the time" for tests and/or setting up a CD server, we just have five Oracle database copies that are hand-tuned by someone who probably makes twice what I do and we have 3 testers per coder

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Commit message: new branches, never merged.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

As they say commits are often harder on the repository.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If somebody force pushes a commit, the repository has ways of shutting it down.

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
"git branches are cool+good"

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

I could tell this is sourcetree because I use it and it's gotten terrible lately. I have filed at least 3 bug reports per week for the last month because it's turning into poo poo.

Someone on the bug tracker said that 1.7 where the decline really started. They obviously hired some new guys ~6 months ago and fired all their testers, and also despite their claims that they are dogfooding this poo poo they don't actually have any bug reports from any of their staff.

Is there a good windows alternative that my boss doesn't have to pay money for? Because he doesn't value my time at all, I guess salary comes out of a separate budget from salary somehow

i used to use windows sourcetree and it was p good

then i believe the like one guy who gave a gently caress about it got poo poo canned or something like 12-18 months ago, and the windows client ground to total poo poo over like 4 releases. 1.6 I think is the point i bailed on it entirely, but it had been heading that way for a while

still p good on my lovely bargain basement non-ssd mac mini for the 3 times in the last year i've had to touch osx to do a thing, which is aggravating as gently caress

after that, i tried a couple different things and eventually just settled on actually learning the cli using git extensions which has some annoying quirks... but at least it doesn't take 20 minutes to finish gargling its own piss at the prospect of a ue4-sized repo

now if only i could get somebody from codice to actually answer my emails ever maybe i can use something actually good maybe

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Paul MaudDib posted:

git extensions

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Agile Vector posted:

Commit message: new branches, never merged.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
no tears, please. it's a waste of good suffering

(yesterday, on an application that went from clipper -> delphi)
edit: source control also went from nothing -> svn -> git

H2Eau fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 23, 2017

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

H2Eau posted:

dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wsjroVlu8

quit you're job

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

H2Eau posted:

what on earth

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

H2Eau posted:

lol irl

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
it's ~3m lines of delphi older than most of the people working on it, except for a few greybeard pascal savants
also the branching strategy is something like story -> feature -> testing -> master, maybe some steps in between sometimes

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

this is why i never let myself click endless in mini metro

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

H2Eau posted:

it's ~3m lines of delphi

:popeye:

you know it's 2017 right

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

:popeye:

you know it's 2017 right

we've almost got it compiling for xe10 (currently xe), its practically modern

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

carry on then posted:

the enterprise java metro. lmao.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MrBadidea posted:

i used to use windows sourcetree and it was p good

then i believe the like one guy who gave a gently caress about it got poo poo canned or something like 12-18 months ago, and the windows client ground to total poo poo over like 4 releases. 1.6 I think is the point i bailed on it entirely, but it had been heading that way for a while

still p good on my lovely bargain basement non-ssd mac mini for the 3 times in the last year i've had to touch osx to do a thing, which is aggravating as gently caress

after that, i tried a couple different things and eventually just settled on actually learning the cli using git extensions which has some annoying quirks... but at least it doesn't take 20 minutes to finish gargling its own piss at the prospect of a ue4-sized repo

now if only i could get somebody from codice to actually answer my emails ever maybe i can use something actually good maybe

yup no poo poo, they claim they're dogfooding it and poo poo but I don't loving believe it, there's too many bugs. I literally can't even do an interactive-rebase about half the time, it fails, and then if I get double unlucky the abort-rebase fails too.

someone on the bugtracker with similar complaints said the cutoff was roughly 1.7.something, I want to say it was like 1.7.26. Quality clearly fell of a cliff sometime around that point though.

Problem is I want a client that just does git, I don't want git poo poo in my IDE. And apart from Tower I don't know of any other clients that aren't poo poo, and I can't get that poo poo billed. Maybe I'll try this pay cycle though (but lol again I can't even get intellij billed).

I suspect that dr chopper is going to prescribe a dose of ---h ---h ---harden the gently caress---

raminasi posted:

git extensions

yup, guess the windows GUI was a nice set of training wheels while it lasted, but it's time to move on

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 4, 2017

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what's the deal with git-svn? like whats that all about. makes a svn repo look like a git repo or something?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Rex-Goliath posted:

• what did you do
  • why did you do it

- fix code
- because it was wrong

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just put "bug fixing"

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

every new feature must be in a new branch located exactly 16 QPUs from master

a push --force is a push --force, you can't just half push --force

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Paul MaudDib posted:

yup, guess the windows GUI was a nice set of training wheels while it lasted, but it's time to move on

git extensions is a windows gui, unless i'm misunderstanding you. it's like sourcetree except it works. you can optionally plug it into vs but I don't.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Gazpacho posted:

- fix code
- because it was wrong

this would have been better than what i was dealing with where i was looking at 100 commits all commented with the name of the file that was edited. 2/3 of them wound up being just changing whitespace and committing it. i guess to make it look like he was actually doing something?? idk

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

"you can tell he was working real hard on that api because look at all those commits!!'

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Rex-Goliath posted:

this would have been better than what i was dealing with where i was looking at 100 commits all commented with the name of the file that was edited. 2/3 of them wound up being just changing whitespace and committing it. i guess to make it look like he was actually doing something?? idk
obligatory: https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSON-js/commits/master

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bloody posted:

what's the deal with git-svn? like whats that all about. makes a svn repo look like a git repo or something?

If that's what I'm thinking of, it's for using git locally (w/ branches etc) against an svn repo

Basically for people who are too chickenshit to either get their team off svn or to switch teams/companies

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Progressive JPEG posted:

If that's what I'm thinking of, it's for using git locally (w/ branches etc) against an svn repo

Basically for people who are too chickenshit to either get their team off svn or to switch teams/companies

so the same kind of monsters who use phpjs

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

these are literally better than what i'm dealing with

i'd take a screenshot but the client machines are locked down like ft. knox

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

H2Eau posted:

Holy poo poo what the gently caress

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Rex-Goliath posted:

"you can tell he was working real hard on that api because look at all those commits!!'

Nothing I love better than managers using git history as an estimate for productivity.

"Oh wow this guy is crushing it, he commits all the time and even has some commits around midnight!!"

I need to get in the habit of not committing my last bit of work at the end of the day and pushing it right before bed

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Click for full size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Rex-Goliath posted:

• what did you do
  • why did you do it

the job i just left made us stick to this syntax https://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/

• Locked thread