Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

it's true, everyone agrees they are just the worst

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
bash scripting is powerful & fun

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
iTunes is good

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

microsoft windows was good to put home computing within reach of people who can't bring themselves to "understand computers", or "read"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

GameCube posted:

windows 10 is better than macos now
the only advantage macos has is the insane battery life thx to apple controlling everything

insanely bad on the new macs tho :(

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

> uname -r
4.9.4-1
>:ins:

new kernel = new alsa

you have the newest alsa whether you like it or not

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

not only are you incredibly wrong, just saying this in public makes you an rear end in a top hat

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
like there are categories of wrongpinion

some are respectful disagreement (maybe you actually think the death penalty is good?)
and some just make you an rear end in a top hat (defending hitler isn't a good idea)

enjoying shell scripting is definitely in the hitler category

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

hmm. if nbsd is always wrong, bash scripting must actually be good and cool

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cat Face Joe posted:

professional computesmanning is a worthless endeavor and you should all be sent to the gulags

ultra mega agreedo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Gazpacho posted:

I think everybody agrees with this (gently caress nbsd), but it doesn't mean that it can't also be terrible and harmful

it's like cocaine

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cocaine is good when taken in measured quantities, just like bash.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Nah node.js is like cocaine, bash is like snorting rat poison

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I would take bash over node any day

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
show us where on the file system bash hurt u

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Apple products don't necessarily have better usability

My first Apple product since a v1 Nano is an iPad Air2 my son's school said he needed and trying to set it up was frustration after frustration and a tonne of lovely UI decisions too

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

I think everybody agrees with this (gently caress nbsd), but it doesn't mean that it can't also be terrible and harmful

it's like cocaine

i like it

• bash and cocaine are both widely abused by assholes

• if you weren't an rear end in a top hat beforehand, bash and cocaine will make you into one

• bash is a huge waste of your time and money, just like cocaine

• writing too many shell scripts will eventually end in doing humiliating things in uncomfortable places, just like cocaine

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
the free services provided by google are probably worth the amount of information about myself that I provide to them

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i like it

• bash and cocaine are both widely abused by assholes

• if you weren't an rear end in a top hat beforehand, bash and cocaine will make you into one

• bash is a huge waste of your time and money, just like cocaine

• writing too many shell scripts will eventually end in doing humiliating things in uncomfortable places, just like cocaine

Then node.js is like heroin. You'll never shutup about the first time you used it and you'll drag all of your friends into your own personal hell.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

the free services provided by google are probably worth the amount of information about myself that I provide to them

ill go one further and say that not only are they worth it but google is overpaying by a substantial amount

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
bash is extremely good for simplifying or automating time consuming tasks and processes, nbsd has a longstanding traumatic brain injury that prevents him from having good opinions on anything

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

LastInLine posted:

ill go one further and say that not only are they worth it but google is overpaying by a substantial amount

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Groups of people forking Linux distro's for whatever ideological bullshit reason they might have are actively doing a disservice to the adoption of Linux as a whole due to the scattering of the user base.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Willeh posted:

Groups of people forking Linux distro's for whatever ideological bullshit reason they might have are actively doing a disservice to the adoption of Linux as a whole due to the scattering of the user base.

No no no... controversial opinions.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
perhaps the really controversial opinion is believing that your opinion is controversial at all

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

shaggar was right

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

shaggar was right

mods

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
functional programming is academic wankery with no real world value.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
[saltfish ~]$ bc <<< "3 + 4 * 2"

Bad

[saltfish ~]$ dc <<< "3 4 2*+p "

Good

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
there actually is one very good linux distribution: it's called Chrome OS and it is my primary operating system both at home and at work

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
dc <<< "94a95a95a95a95a94a32a83a79a80a83a79a89annnnnnnnnnnnp"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The Management posted:

functional programming is academic wankery with no real world value.

this is neither controversial nor an opinion. it's an objective fact

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

programming is wankery with no real world value.

ftfy

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
bing is an alright search engine so long as they keep paying out amazon gift cards

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

he posted from his analog computer

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

he posted from his analog computer

i agree posting has no value, particularly yours

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine

starkebn posted:

Apple products don't necessarily have better usability

My first Apple product since a v1 Nano is an iPad Air2 my son's school said he needed and trying to set it up was frustration after frustration and a tonne of lovely UI decisions too

apple's ux has been terrible for a long time.
iOS7 was inexcusable garbage and iveaces should have been fired instead of forstall

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pretty much every tech company could be improved by hiring one good product manager instead of 5 new devs

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Willeh posted:

Linux never had a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:32 bits was never wide enough

• Locked thread