Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which New England state will be your lover?
Maine (beautiful, outdoorsy, minor drug habit)
New Hampshire (kind of weird but nice, minor drug habit)
Vermont (really gorgeous hippy, likes to ski and smoke weed)
Massachusetts (bossy beach babe)
Rhode Island (tiny and loud, minor gambling habit)
Connecticut (tsundere)
View Results

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's snowy today in Vermont

this is pretty much all i want out of life

birds seen today: chickadee, goldfinch, blue jay, mourning dove, carolina wren, junco, hairy and downy woodpeckers, nuthatch, sparrow, titmouse

working from home going pretty well

Mozi fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I stayed a week in boston and it sucks

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I grew up in NW Connecticut. We have the great parts of New England (pizza and seasons, gently caress you if you think CT doesn't have the world's best pizza) but we also have unique things like raggies and NASCAR rednecks who think they're from the south.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

sillyloquy posted:

The Palladium is phenomenal but Worcester's best feature is the random sections of unpaved road scattered throughout the city.

lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

I stayed a week in boston and it sucks

Or maybe YOU suck. Did that thought ever occur to you?

imandyyo
Mar 19, 2012
There's a ton of American history like Plymouth Plantation and Old North Bridge. Scenic quaint town centers. Fall foliage! Kelly's roast beef.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I got married in Connecticut and loved it. Mystic Aquarium was great but Mystic Pizza gave us the runs.

I've been a few other places in NE like Maine and Rhode Island and they're beautiful. I'd move to rural New England in a heartbeat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Kelly's Roast Beef is so loving good, but expensive. But really good. And their bacon cheese fries will make you hate yourself, but they're good too.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Captain Invictus posted:

Or maybe YOU suck. Did that thought ever occur to you?

Son of a bitch

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's ok. Next time you're in town I'll treat you to some Kelly's roast beef and it'll turn you right around.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.

Labes for days posted:

I got married in Connecticut and loved it. Mystic Aquarium was great but Mystic Pizza gave us the runs.

I've been a few other places in NE like Maine and Rhode Island and they're beautiful. I'd move to rural New England in a heartbeat.

I live in rural New England.

Run. Far, far away.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DamnCanadian posted:

Run. Far, far away.

quote:

DamnCanadian
hmmm

HMMMMM

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Captain Invictus posted:

It's ok. Next time you're in town I'll treat you to some Kelly's roast beef and it'll turn you right around.

one of the weird cops with orange vests got snobby with me when I asked where a gas station was, rude af

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

ive lived in new england my whole life and its a frozen wasteland full of loving assholes. we have some cool nature the 6 months of the year you can access it thats about it

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

also, just to get this off my chest, dunkin donuts coffee and donuts both suck!!!!

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Living in the Berkshires, got dumped on by a ton of snow today. Work is empty. Everything outdoors is blindingly white and frigid.

I love it.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Whose goin to the packy

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tolkien minority posted:

also, just to get this off my chest, dunkin donuts coffee and donuts both suck!!!!
Their egg sandwiches are okay but you could just make your own for 1/4 the price.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I had a blueberry sundae at the Big E. It had a perogie in it. Story over.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
why do people from RI drive so terribly, people jump left turns and run lights constantly

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Duck and Cover posted:

I had a blueberry sundae at the Big E. It had a perogie in it. Story over.

What on earth?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Khorne posted:

Their egg sandwiches are okay but you could just make your own for 1/4 the price.

there hashbrowns are also surprisingly good but that doesnt make up for their piss poor excuse for donuts!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What on earth?

http://www.masslive.com/the-big-e/index.ssf/2016/09/ice_cream_review_the_big_es_blueberry_pierogi_sundae_unique_treat.html . I enjoy getting the Mantoo on Kabeli Palow from http://www.afghancuisine.net/Menu.Page.asp it is yummos. You may want it without cilantro. Hot eating tip number 1.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 9, 2017

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

DamnCanadian posted:

Run. Far, far away.

I live in rural Maryland so it's basically the same culture but with Old Bay. :shrug:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

free hubcaps posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJtiepwpKFw

shed a tear for our whalers, lost at sea off cape hatteras

hartford might be getting the islanders lol

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i cant take you seriously if you sound like peter griffin

that accent is awful

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Smeed posted:

gently caress you if you think CT doesn't have the world's best pizza

Sorry about your mediocre pizza. I can only assume that you've never had pizza anywhere else.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I think it was notable Hartford wit Mark Twain who said if you don't like the weather in New England, wait five minutes

yesterday it was 52 and sunny, this is my backyard today

low of 12 tonight

I forgot another major thing I love about New England: old stone walls

they are loving everywhere and really neat both in a historic and an ecologic sense

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 10, 2017

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Vermont's got a drug habit too (other than weed, I mean, that doesn't count). Bummer. Heroin's cheap and there's nothing to do, which is a bad combination. I get the impression that's the case in isolated small towns throughout the country, though. I think there are at least three documentaries about heroin in Vermont, probably because no one can believe there's anything other than skiing and Ben & Jerry's up here.

At least we've got bitchin' foliage/maple syrup/cheese/covered bridges. And cows. Lots of cows.

And our very own cryptid! Champ of Lake Champlain is every bit as real as Nessie!

Our minor league baseball team, the Vermont Lake Monsters, has a super dumb-looking Champ as their mascot. Always nice to see him riding his ATV around the field in Burlington.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

free hubcaps posted:

they are loving everywhere and really neat both in a historic and an ecologic sense

People from away get a laugh when I tell them that stone wall rustlers are a thing in New England.

I didn't realize how much I loved them until I spent time living elsewhere and then came home. Apparently a 1939 estimate put the total amount at around 259,000 miles of wall in the northeast at the time. That would circle the globe 10 times or reach the moon. Supposedly, the amount of labor used to build the stone walls in New England and New York "would have built the pyramids of Egypt one hundred times over.”"

Also related, old cellar holes.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
I like all the woods

beats the hell out of the fuckin depressing empty fields with a few stragglin trees you see in the southern wastelands, dotted with the occasional vacant town and/or run down trailer park

Also, those of us from Connecticut don't have any stupid obnoxious accent. We talk like people on TV, unlike the rest of you regional dialect mouthbreeders

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Vermont has the "yummy yummy' place. It's yummy. Vermont Country Deli is it's name. The tasty place in Newfane burned down. Sad. Honeypie is pretty good. The book stores cafe in Manchester is good too.This has been another Duck and Cover food tip.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 10, 2017

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

free hubcaps posted:

I think it was notable Hartford wit Mark Twain who said if you don't like the weather in New England, wait five minutes

yesterday it was 52 and sunny, this is my backyard today

low of 12 tonight

It was so warm yesterday that is softened the ground up like whoa and i got my truck stuck plowing the driveway. I have 15 acres north of norwich and my driveway is 1000' long. Half way down I got it off to the side a little bit and sunk in. Had to do the rest with a snowblower and I might have to use the old IH 656 tractor to yard it out tomorrow.

We have rock walls all over the place here and I love it. There is an old colonial era road that went through the back acres and there are some old wells and foundations. It was also inhabited by local natives and there are signs of them all through the woods. Two (or more?!) indian caves or rock lean-tos, a few carved out spots in the rock where streams run over it, making like a cooler or something. Sometimes you can find cooler things but its hard and I haven't seen an arrowhead found in many years.

The history around is about as good as it gets in America. My ancestors came over here in the 1620s and 1630s and lived mostly in Preston, Stonington, and Norwich areas. It is neat driving some of the old roads that predate the white man even, thinking about how many people have traveled over the same roads for so long.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I've never been to gungywamp in Groton but I hear it's really cool and sort of the piece de resistance of southern New England woods ruins

Stone walls made me think of some other common but cool New England things that we take for granted, and that got me thinking about the old road signs- the vertical, wooden, white posts with black lettering. I remember them being all over the place as a kid but now they have been pretty much all replaced with the generic green horizontal signs on metal posts, I'll very occasionally see one when far out in the country. I can't even find a photograph of them online, which kind of makes me sad. Nostalgia for road signs, heh.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

TerminalSaint posted:

Sorry about your mediocre pizza. I can only assume that you've never had pizza anywhere else.

You must be one of those people who thinks Chicago even has pizza

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Boy my tip is hot. Provincetown has a tasty Portuguese bakery.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I live in the lovely part of Vermont but at least the rent's cheap and the nice parts aren't far away. It's been slowly getting better over the past 5 years or so but certain parts are still riddled with poverty and heroin.

That said, I'd rather live here than anywhere in the South or Midwest, lol

salty fries make me cry fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 10, 2017

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Southern Maine is pretty nice. I live close enough to New Hampshire to enjoy a smaller city but it's basically a suburb of Boston.

Lobster is trash tier ocean bug and always will be. Tourists only love butter and you can't convince me otherwise.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Smeed posted:

You must be one of those people who thinks Chicago even has pizza

Sorry, nope. Chicago casserole is one of the few attempts at pizza that's worse than CT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BlancoNino posted:

Southern Maine is pretty nice. I live close enough to New Hampshire to enjoy a smaller city but it's basically a suburb of Boston.

Lobster is trash tier ocean bug and always will be. Tourists only love butter and you can't convince me otherwise.

Lobster is okay. Bugs are tasty. It makes a good casserole.

• Locked thread