Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MidnightHailstorm
Feb 10, 2014
Aw come on! Why not just have the pants tonic active for the entirety of the upcoming events? Might as well get some enjoyment out of it. Besides, if I remember correctly, you originally would have earned it by getting all the pagies in the game, so it's only fair. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That minigame had incredibly dramatic music for a Flappy Bird clone.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Just caught up on the last three videos; since nobody mentioned it, the Toybox INEPT used to say 50.1%. So supposedly he will actually get updated with his true dialogue at some point... (Playtonic really should have done so by now though, geeze. Especially with A Hat In Time having shown up. :v:)

Also man, gently caress Up'N Nova. It's by far my most hated of his awful minigames. :argh: Between the length of the minigame and the fact that mistakes later on in it eat up a much more significant amount of score, it took me entirely too many attempts.

I'm also slightly surprised that one bit of controversy wasn't mentioned, even if it is in the OP.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Yapping Eevee posted:

Also man, gently caress Up'N Nova. It's by far my most hated of his awful minigames. :argh: Between the length of the minigame and the fact that mistakes later on in it eat up a much more significant amount of score, it took me entirely too many attempts.

Personally, I have more issues with Kartos's sections. I still haven't finished the one in Galleon Galaxy, and I think there's one other I didn't bother with.

MidnightHailstorm
Feb 10, 2014

Yapping Eevee posted:

Really? Up'N Nova? Coming right after the sensory overload exercise in frustration and unresponsive controls that is Hurdle Hijinx, Up'N Nova felt positively soothing to me.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
Update!

Friends, it is with a heavy heart that I must bring this series to a close. With every collectible collected and every challenge conquered, all that stands between us and 100% completion is the corporate criminal himself: Capital B. But not before we take a look at some Pants first.

Yooka-Laylee Part 18: The Final Boss Encounter: Capital B - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

I'm not going to lie, this is an emotional moment for me. It's been an absolute joy to experience this game, one I never thought would ever see the light of day, and although sometimes I admittedly get frustrated with some parts of it (as I did with both Kazooie and Tooie) I've loved every second.

It goes without saying but huge massive thank you to Dani for joining me in The Real World to help make this Let's Play possible. We both had a great time working on this and I think it really shows that we are genuinely having fun recording our silly jokes over a Lizard and a Bat doing jumps. Hopefully we can work together again.

And of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't give a thank you to everyone who's joined me on this journey. Some of you went back and watched through all 3 of my previous B-K series in preparation for this and if you're someone who watched all of that and this too then I literally don't have the words to describe how greatly I appreciate that. Thank you all so much for letting me share something with you that's always been very special to me.

It's far from over of course, DLC is assumedly in the works as I type this which I will cover without a doubt, and Playtonic do seem to be setting themselves up for a Sequel. Whether or not they follow through on that remains to be seen but, for now, this is the end of this particular chapter, chronicling 3D Adventure games where you collect things made by Rare and Playtonic. I think I can now officially call myself a Collect-A-Thon Scholar. I have collected a lot of things.

Once again: Thank You. Sincerely, from the bottom of my heart. It's hard to believe that saying words over funny animals doing jumps would bring me so many great memories, so many amazing new friends and make so many people happy. But it did, and honestly? I'm probably going to hold on to that for the rest of my life.

With any luck, I'll see you all again soon with, for people who know my other popular LPs, a familiar face.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Congrats on finishing the LP!

Though I kind of hope you’ll consider LPing the other Indie Platformer/Collectathon: A Hat in Time

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 1, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Huh... so all you have to do is hit him in the beehind to win?

Akogare Zephyr
Apr 29, 2013

Thank you so much for doing the LP (and all your other LPs)! It was a fun ride and I look forward to seeing what more you'll do in the future.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
Drones (male bees) actually don't have stingers! Only the workers and queen have the proper equipment, so it's actually a pretty good detail (or a happy accident) on Playtonic's part that Capital B doesn't have a stinger.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You know I was going to say the boss fight was long and overly drawn out with a complete shortage of checkpointing for a 4(?) phase fight. Which is all still true, but....

I do have a slightly greater appreciation for it given that I did that fight completely different than you and that kind of flexibility is nice to see in a boss fight. I used the invulnerability shield to wait out the homing bee swarms rather than destroying them with the sonar burst for instance.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It might have just been the era of collectathons I played first but I was always much more partial to the Jak & Daxters, Ratchet & Clanks, Sly Coopers (I was all over the trilogy release and the new entry of Sly), and Psychonauts. Still a bunch of things to collect and a lot of the same basic ideas (upgrades, minigames, and so on) but more character, more narrative, more than just the next thing to collect to keep you going. I still do love the energy and creativity on display in Yooka-Laylee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kibayasu posted:

It might have just been the era of collectathons I played first but I was always much more partial to the Jak & Daxters, Ratchet & Clanks, Sly Coopers (I was all over the trilogy release and the new entry of Sly), and Psychonauts. Still a bunch of things to collect and a lot of the same basic ideas (upgrades, minigames, and so on) but more character, more narrative, more than just the next thing to collect to keep you going. I still do love the energy and creativity on display in Yooka-Laylee.

It's neat that in the era of collectathons we managed to have a lot of variety. BK was about creativity and different worlds (as were Psychonauts and Sly). Other games like Jak and Ratchet focused on the arsenal and combat. Spyro had a flow to moving around that it sometimes did wonderfully (the egg thief chases could be frustrating if you stumbled but it's great how they weaved the chase lines into the stage without setting them all on separate areas). There's something to like in pretty much all the classic 3D platformers (which is why they remain classics) and people can find their own preference.

• Locked thread