Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Hi im not able to swirlie you from here but can u go stick ur head in the toilet and flush? Thanks xoxo

no, sorrry to see another goon project end in failure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Grace
I created this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jwTZXc6rdc

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i was making some sound fx for some crazy space pictures but my computer decided it would be better to destroy the recordings :smith:

byob historian

i uh

i kinda sorta got that sorted i guess

and i made a b side besides

alnilam

i hoid it throug hthe graaaaaapppppppeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ty manifisto

alnilam

update on project hunt:
getting pretty good at shootin
getting decent at shooting flintlock rifles (!!) which my hunting pal's family has several of
friend is going to take me flintlock hunting during early muzzleloader season, which is cool bc the woods won't be crowded with drunk jagoffs with guns
it's also cool because shooting flintlock rifles is fun as h*ck

also gearing up for turkey hunting, but let me tell you I am pretty much expecting failure on turkey hunting and expecting success in deer hunting this year, turkey hunting is apparently hard as h*****ck, but regardless i am going to try!!

ty manifisto

Scaly Haylie

I got back on the ol' editing horse and made another Mighty Minimalist Power Rangers.

Drink-Mix Man

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I've been slowly picking away at a bunch of sort of psychedelic electronic melodies

https://soundcloud.com/eric-zak/sets/meditation-for-dogs

https://soundcloud.com/eric-zak/sets/broken-beats

Guillermus

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yes just post the thing you're workin' on that's your passion project!

Sorry! I've been some days out for vacation and was kind of disconnected but I'll explain my project now :haw:

So, for a bit of background:

I live in Seville (Spain) and I'm almost 34. I'm still an armyman (15 years and going!) currently working in stuff related to logistics and a truck driver. My project is to open a restaurant (or a food truck) with a coworker when we reach the age of forced retirement (45 years old).

My idea and the name of the restaurant is based around a famous type of sandwich or bocadillo as we call 'em here, called Serranito. It is a simple but drat tasty one wich basically has: pork fillet (or chiken breast), sliced tomato, cured ham, but it has to be that amazing one we have in Spain! fried bell pepper and sided with french fries. As sauce for the fries (or even for the sandwich) is ali-oli (a garlic-based mayo) or even mojo picón wich is a spanish hot sauce. Some people like to add an omelette inside the sandwich. Here are two example pics of it:

Tip for goons: loving try it. It's easy to make and goddamn amazing.

Why would my restaurant (or food truck) be original considering that you can eat this on most restaurants in the city? Because my food chart is going to be a mix of italian, mexican and spanish (hell, even from North America!) gastronomy.

I'm a guy that loves cooking and I've done it for quite big numbers. Love to make quesadillas, poutine, chili fries, pasta or whatever and sure, there are mexican restaurants in here, but you can't order chili fries and fettuccine with meatballs. You will loving love to eat poutine and then some tasty pork chops with whiskey sauce (another typical one from here).

I'll even do vegan food because we do have the best vegetables in the goddamn world and they're cheap.

This kind of food is what is making me lean to my creation to be a food truck, because I can park my goon rear end on a business place and make all of them crave for a good cardio session at gym afterwards. My secret and evil plan is to become worldwide available and everyone become a goon :shepface:

For canadian goons: no one makes poutine in Spain. It's loving sad because it's awesome and easy. They insist in eating fries with just ketchup or mayo and all friends that ate that glorious thing fell in love with it.

To finish this crazy man rambling some pics of my creations (with my wife as guinea pig):

Fettuccine meatballs with sherry sauce and 4 cheeses for two:

Big rear end empanada:

So there's my passion and my future project! The name will be something easy, funny to be in line with the mood of this city.

Thanks Manifisto for the cheesy goondue!

cda

by Hand Knit

Guillermus posted:

Sorry! I've been some days out for vacation and was kind of disconnected but I'll explain my project now :haw:

So, for a bit of background:

I live in Seville (Spain) and I'm almost 34. I'm still an armyman (15 years and going!) currently working in stuff related to logistics and a truck driver. My project is to open a restaurant (or a food truck) with a coworker when we reach the age of forced retirement (45 years old).

My idea and the name of the restaurant is based around a famous type of sandwich or bocadillo as we call 'em here, called Serranito. It is a simple but drat tasty one wich basically has: pork fillet (or chiken breast), sliced tomato, cured ham, but it has to be that amazing one we have in Spain! fried bell pepper and sided with french fries. As sauce for the fries (or even for the sandwich) is ali-oli (a garlic-based mayo) or even mojo picón wich is a spanish hot sauce. Some people like to add an omelette inside the sandwich. Here are two example pics of it:

Why would my restaurant (or food truck) be original considering that you can eat this on most restaurants in the city? Because my food chart is going to be a mix of italian, mexican and spanish (hell, even from North America!) gastronomy.

I'm a guy that loves cooking and I've done it for quite big numbers. Love to make quesadillas, poutine, chili fries, pasta or whatever and sure, there are mexican restaurants in here, but you can't order chili fries and fettuccine with meatballs. You will loving love to eat poutine and then some tasty pork chops with whiskey sauce (another typical one from here).

I'll even do vegan food because we do have the best vegetables in the goddamn world and they're cheap.

This kind of food is what is making me lean to my creation to be a food truck, because I can park my goon rear end on a business place and make all of them crave for a good cardio session at gym afterwards. My secret and evil plan is to become worldwide available and everyone become a goon :shepface:

For canadian goons: no one makes poutine in Spain. It's loving sad because it's awesome and easy. They insist in eating fries with just ketchup or mayo and all friends that ate that glorious thing fell in love with it.

To finish this crazy man rambling some pics of my creations (with my wife as guinea pig):

Fettuccine meatballs with sherry sauce and 4 cheeses for two:

Big rear end empanada:

So there's my passion and my future project! The name will be something easy, funny to be in line with the mood of this city.

There's a big problem with your project: I want to eat the food right now.

cda

by Hand Knit
For real though I have also daydreamed about opening a food truck when I retire, to sell different kinds of Knishes.

Manifisto

Guillermus posted:

woah that sounds awesome

Guillermus posted:

I think you will need to send me one to be sure I get the authentic ingredients etc (I tried to take a chorizo with me back from barcelona and it got confiscated :(

in fact I think I will abuse my power as idiot king and say you will be probated if you do not get me one of these delicious sandwiches stat

(I may or may not be joking here)

ty nesamdoom!

Guillermus

Manifisto posted:

I think you will need to send me one to be sure I get the authentic ingredients etc (I tried to take a chorizo with me back from barcelona and it got confiscated :(

in fact I think I will abuse my power as idiot king and say you will be probated if you do not get me one of these delicious sandwiches stat

(I may or may not be joking here)

No, really, it's easy to make and you can do it following these steps:

-Two tomato slices. Make sure you dry them a bit with some paper napkins
-One or two green bell peppers, deep fry these motherfuckers until they're flaccid like... erm... (the add some salt taste).
-Prosciutto or serrano ham (not sure about the availability but shouldn't be too hard), two slices.
-Pork back fillet or chicken breast fillet. Thin cuts and just a bit of oil to cook them on the pan.
-As for bread, never, ever go for sliced bread. You should always go for something like italian bread.

The correct order to put the stuff on the bread should be this: first the tomato, then the meat, then the ham slices, and lastly the fried pepper. Just the oil from the fried peppers will make it a drat juicy bite.

(god drat, now I should change my avatar for that)

alnilam

Guillermus posted:

No, really, it's easy to make and you can do it following these steps:

Nice try you're not going to get out of mailing manifisto a sandwich that easily

Guillermus

But but the box will get messy and... and... :ohdear:

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
food trucks got boxed out of my terrible city by ordinance so they all moved to different places :(

N. Senada

My kidneys are busted
I'm working really hard on getting better at my scales for guitar and learning all the different patterns

It is tough!

:ghost: Happy halloween :ghost:

byob historian

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I've been slowly picking away at a bunch of sort of psychedelic electronic melodies

i dug these
i really enjoyed the sound design on the first piece especially. the arrangement i thought could use a bit of work, but i find order -> chaos (->order) more interesting than chaos -> order :shrug:
the second piece isnt quite as adventurous in the design, but the arrangement is more inviting to my ears. the arpeggiated flute/pipe synth works v well :thumbsup:

byob historian

N. Senada posted:

I'm working really hard on getting better at my scales for guitar and learning all the different patterns

It is tough!

dont forget your modes, too!

a mode is just a different arrangement of a scale, like if you played C Maj from F to F that would be the Lydian mode, and from G to G thatd be the Mixolydian mode (this one is v popular on guitar, its basically a major scale with a diminished 7th)

if sight reading matters to you, i find it helpful, especially on the guitar, i find it helps to name the notes of the scales as i play them, cuz its not nearly as easy to figure out as on a keyboard lol

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood

Doctor Dogballs posted:

It is something I have to consider. The Legal Marijuana Now party is already on the ballot in Minnesota, I could try for their endorsement. They're actually not totally ineffective and have won some elections. But I think they're more likely to put up someone who'se actually local and active from within their ranks. Same story with the libertarians and greens.

that might not be the case, i work with a small party and we accept candidates not formal members all the time. i wasn't even a member of the party when i ran for activism director and won anyway. you will frankly be shocked at how bare-bones mmmmmmost of the political machine really is. like you will be thrown far ahead of what you expect if you show the least bit of agency and competency at all.

i heavily, HEAVILY encourage everyone to join up with a local political group, and consider getting involved with your local government. there are a lot of positions you don't need to be elected for, most cities have at least 2-3 commissions in charge of setting actual policy, and they're usually looking for more members. my wife worked on local wetlands protection, i intend on getting involved with the arts board once we've lived in one place long enough to qualify.

but seriously, loving run for something. https://www.runforsomething.net/ just do it. run. do it. ask your friends to help, pay them, it'll be a blast.

oh also i'm gonna permasticky this thread because you all deserve it.

crimes

N. Senada

My kidneys are busted

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

if sight reading matters to you, i find it helpful, especially on the guitar, i find it helps to name the notes of the scales as i play them, cuz its not nearly as easy to figure out as on a keyboard lol

I had been playing way too long before somebody mentioned I should do this!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I continue to study and practice the American pop music of the 1920s through 1950s on piano and voice. A lesser hobby of mine is composing video game music.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-95178703/orange-sun

As of today, I may have a new project: a cell phone navigation app that aims to train your memory and navigation skills by selectively withholding navigation instructions in order to require you to think for yourself, while still getting you to your destination. Perhaps this app would give instructions in terms of relationships with landmarks, or say nothing until the user is very off course. I just got off the phone with a google maps development representative and found that all parts of this project are within the scope of the google maps application programming interface. Kinda surprised no one seems to have tried this before.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Scaly Haylie

Finally got to the Green Ranger five-parter. I decided to combine 'em into a longer thing rather than just put out five episodes. Came out a bit longer than I was expecting, but I think I did it justice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgK0OFbhxH4

byob historian

Lizard Wizard posted:

Finally got to the Green Ranger five-parter. I decided to combine 'em into a longer thing rather than just put out five episodes. Came out a bit longer than I was expecting, but I think I did it justice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgK0OFbhxH4

this stuff is so concentrated im kinda scared to watch twenty minutes at once im kinda afraid of laughing my face off :ohdear:

Scaly Haylie

Good news then, there are two more regular-sized eps hot off the grill! This is what happens when I have a day off.

I really hope they keep up the trend of cutting to Tommy doing martial arts.

cda

by Hand Knit

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I enjoyed this.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
hello, i quit my day job at the end of 2015 to write full time. i let myself get sucked into writing and self publishing romance, which i came to enjoy less and less as i focused my time on it more and more. the latest change to amazon's kindle subscription has helped me remember that i wanted to get into this to write the kind of fiction i want to read, so I'm working on a new one shot fantasy novel that I'll probably start querying in november. thanks to all the practice writing romance, though, I can write around 200k words of clean copy in thirty days and I've never had more ideas in my life.

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

cda

by Hand Knit

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I can write around 200k words of clean copy in thirty days

:worship:

----------------

POOL IS CLOSED

trust me: keep writing every day and you will be able to do it soon, too.

cda

by Hand Knit
What's the most ridiculous sentence you've ever had published?

----------------

alnilam

cda posted:

POOL IS CLOSED

cda posted:

picking out a particularly dumb or funny sentence is hard! the silliest involved shooting at the moon.

POOL IS CLOSED

hey alnilam, my partner just passed his hunter safety exam and got his license, too. you're both even coming at it from kinda related philosophies.

meanwhile I'm thinking harder and harder about why I still eat meat. :sigh:

byob historian

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

i do because i cant afford to eat separately from the family and my religious beliefs dont mirror theirs so they dont matter to them

alnilam

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

hey alnilam, my partner just passed his hunter safety exam and got his license, too. you're both even coming at it from kinda related philosophies.

ooh cool! I'm happy to hear that, I've lived around hunters my whole life and while many of them get mad respect from me, I've met very few who have quite the same attitude as i do, so it's nice when i hear that I'm not totally alone

as for eating meat or not, well i could talk about this a lot but in short you can reduce without totally eliminating and that's good too! don't think of is as an all or nothing thing. I'll just leave it at that i don't wanna go on about it unsolicited

deep dish peat moss

Salty Whiskey posted:

From what little I've read on the topic, I recall people generally advising to power through to the end; the fear makes sense. What do I know, I've started a few and finished none.

Edit: With that in mind, do the opposite of what I did. You do the thing.

The way I approached the problem (of getting tired of my novel and wanting to take a break to write other stories) is I went back and started mixing in side-stories about minor characters, like I have the whole depressed therapist + retired superhero main story that's relatively rooted in reality but now there's also the story of his receptionist who has always been a passive person wishing for something grand to happen instead of making something grand happen herself and then she gets tricked by a woman at a strange carnival and whisked off into an alternate dimension cosmic limbo and meets an alien frog-man that may or may not be some kind of god. That's keeping me from getting bored with writing it since I now have 3 different timelines working in parallel and if I'm bored of one I can jump to another for a while.

I always had this thing where I felt like my first novel needed to be perfect and that's why I'd scrap it and start new projects all the time. Going through this one is making me notice a lot of problems with it that I didn't really plan for, like the main character was flat and depressing and boring because of it so I needed to put in something to fire him up and get him running again because that's how it always works, we don't stay pathetic and mewling sad forever, and I realized I never built up the world much or gave it much of a personality so now I'm trying to make it more of a character in itself. But now the idea of finishing a 'bad' novel and fixing it afterward is exciting.

I'm also taking multiple poetry writing classes right now and then approaching fiction from the perspective of poetry and it has been a great way to look at and critique my own work, my voice is getting less rigid because I'm slipping further and further away from the rules (without doing it in the kind of postmodern way of mocking the rules and breaking them on purpose just to point out how flimsy they are) and I'm being way more critical of every line I put in to it. Mostly though poetry taught me to trust the reader more and not feel like I have to make sure they understand everything I'm trying to say.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 3, 2017

deep dish peat moss

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

trust me: keep writing every day and you will be able to do it soon, too.

And yeah this. The more I've been writing, the less I've been writing "to write" and the more I've been writing because I enjoy it and it lets me slip into this world and obsess over every detail and be in control. I was writing 1-3k words a day before and today I woke up and wrote 2500 in an hour. A big part of it for me was not worrying about how everything would be received and trusting the reader to receive it the way I intend it, and then not caring if they don't.

Scaly Haylie

I couldn't find any rips of season 2 that aren't VHS garbage, so I ordered the DVDs even though it's still a ways off. I'm looking forward to finishing Mighty Morphin and getting my hands on the stuff I never watched as a kid, but I'm also kinda dreading it at the same time, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3CuXocyf6w

35 more episodes until season 2!

N. Senada

My kidneys are busted

I always had this thing where I felt like my first novel needed to be perfect and that's why I'd scrap it and start new projects all the time.

Once you jump this hurdle (for any hobby/skill/etc.), you become truly free. Sincere grats on that attitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salty Whiskey

tbh fam

The way I approached the problem (of getting tired of my novel and wanting to take a break to write other stories) is I went back and started mixing in side-stories about minor characters, like I have the whole depressed therapist + retired superhero main story that's relatively rooted in reality but now there's also the story of his receptionist who has always been a passive person wishing for something grand to happen instead of making something grand happen herself and then she gets tricked by a woman at a strange carnival and whisked off into an alternate dimension cosmic limbo and meets an alien frog-man that may or may not be some kind of god. That's keeping me from getting bored with writing it since I now have 3 different timelines working in parallel and if I'm bored of one I can jump to another for a while

That's actually a really good idea. Do something new without creating too much distance.

Some pretty neat projects in this thread; might as well throw my own in the mix. I've been watching woodworking videos for years now, and decided to try my hand about three months ago. Since then, I've been making candle holders, wooden jewellery, coasters etc. Nothing too big yet, although in time I'd like to start designing and building my own furniture so I can furnish my own house. I've had some luck with joints for small boxes etc but still have a lot to learn in that arena.

In the meantime, I set up an etsy and made a website too since the stuff I've been making has been somewhat popular. Prices are still low with it being early days but I've managed to get about thirty sales in the last few weeks, and covered the equipment costs so I'm happy. Quite a lot of them have been commissions too, which is pretty cool. Not all of them are to my taste but if someone wants it and I can do it, why not. I've been learning about pyrography as well; just a fancy sounding word for burning designs into wood by hand with a soldering iron, or similar kit.

Here's a few photos:

Salty Whiskey fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 7, 2017

• Locked thread