Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Later half of chapter 6 I liked, creepy elevator to science lab and weird wolf beast thing, which is actually an okay boss battle.

Chapter 7 now! This is actually a pretty interesting area. New enemies are interesting and this place makes you pay more attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just took out the keeper! Interesting boss fight but he might respawn a tad too quickly.

According to ps trophies less than a third of people have gotten beyond this point.

Edit: wow is it me or is chapter 8 literally the shortest in the game?

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 9, 2017

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I am also replaying the game in anticipation for numbah 2 and boy howdy is stealthing around a crapshoot at higher difficulties. Better hope that bottle you threw won't just make that zombie spaz out and spin 360 degrees, because as soon as that mask-wearing idiot sees you he'll instantly grab Sebastian, knocking off half your health regardless of how fast you mash the "e" key! Kicking doors open on fools and lighting them on fire as they lay sprawled on the floor solves a lot of problems, though.

Also for the love of God somebody put a fukken leash on Leslie that was the 4th time he just wandered through a door just as it closes oh look a safe full of meat is all cross with me now

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

This is all Leslie's fault when you really think about it. Should have just left you in that God drat cage.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Just finished the first one. Clocked in at 18 hrs and 123 deaths.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Impressive! My first playthrough was I think 12 hours or so, but I don't remember how many deaths I had. I do know I had to watch Laura punch Seb in the head many many times though.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Apologies if you mentioned anything about doing so already, CJacobs (I looked but may have missed it), but if you'll be streaming this when it lands and leave a post here or in any of your LP threads when you do, I will definitely make an effort to watch

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I won't be, I want my first playthrough to be totally by myself. It's not often I get excited for a game like this so I wanna completely immerse myself in it when it gets here. I will do a let's play of it but only after I've had a lot of time to get to know it inside and out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's a question, because I can't seem to find this information anywhere and want to put it in the OP: When is the game actually releasing? The release date is listed as October 13th, but I haven't been able to find out when on the 13th. Does it mean midnight on October 12th? Or midnight on the 13th? or that weird arbitrary late evening time of day that games release when they show up on a Tuesday?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Technowolf posted:

Just finished the first one. Clocked in at 18 hrs and 123 deaths.

Cool I don't feel so bad now

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Here's a question, because I can't seem to find this information anywhere and want to put it in the OP: When is the game actually releasing? The release date is listed as October 13th, but I haven't been able to find out when on the 13th. Does it mean midnight on October 12th? Or midnight on the 13th? or that weird arbitrary late evening time of day that games release when they show up on a Tuesday?

I can help you with this!

It has a preorder on psn. Which means it will go live at midnight eastern time (so if you're pacific, that means 9pm)

Every Playstation preorder has basically always gone live at midnight, and there's a preload about two days before, so on Wednesday you should be able to start downloading.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Midnight on the 13th, not the 12th, I assume? Cool, I'll add it to the OP, thank you.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Midnight on the 13th, not the 12th, I assume? Cool, I'll add it to the OP, thank you.

If you mean at 12:01am in the morning of the 13th, yes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, huh, I assumed it'd be the other way around. That's twice as cool then!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Hey chapter 9 seems to be set in a mansion. This should be interesting to explore.

Why did it go blue when I entered this room?

"Oh hi ruvik"

*Sebastian runs into a trap while walking away*

So is this the chapter everyone complains about?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ineffiable posted:

Hey chapter 9 seems to be set in a mansion. This should be interesting to explore.

"Oh hi ruvik"

Yup. Ruvik isn't super-difficult to deal with, but its just aggravating enough to drag the entire chapter down.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

1stGear posted:

Yup. Ruvik isn't super-difficult to deal with, but its just aggravating enough to drag the entire chapter down.

Which is a bummer because it had the best atmosphere in the game for me otherwise.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Just finished the chapter. I liked everything after you opened up the blood door. My favorite chapter so far.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

"Oh hi ruvik"

This was as far as I got in the game. Still getting the second one though.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Ineffiable posted:

"Oh hi ruvik"

I'd assume more that people would complain about the level where it's armored riot cop zombies with machine guns shooting you while they pile out of an elevator or while you're stuck on a very small trolley. Now that level truly sucked.

Ruvik comparatively was fine and the mansion was great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finished chapter 6. drat gorgeous chapter, drat fun combat, drat good boss fight

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

discworld is all I read posted:

I'd assume more that people would complain about the level where it's armored riot cop zombies with machine guns shooting you while they pile out of an elevator or while you're stuck on a very small trolley. Now that level truly sucked.

Ruvik comparatively was fine and the mansion was great.

Is that later on? I can see people quitting before that point.

Also chapter 10 has several areas where it feels like you could stealth it, but lol nope there's a guy waiting at the crank, so it's far better to just go ahead and shoot everything.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
It looks like the area I'm thinking of is chapter 11; so you'll be running into it soon enough I think.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Oh joy, because I'm not already having enough fun with the return of this certain boss at the end? Of chapter 10.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ineffiable posted:

Oh joy, because I'm not already having enough fun with the return of this certain boss at the end? Of chapter 10.

Here's a tip: Don't try to kill it, just run.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

RatHat posted:

Here's a tip: Don't try to kill it, just run.

I'm trying. It's this chamber I get stuck in that I'm confused about.

Edit: The second one now.

Made it!

This is now my least favorite chapter so far.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 11, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Alright I gotta admit, the fight at the end of chapter 10 redeems it somewhat. Saving at beginning of chapter 11. How much longer to the end of the game? I know it's about 16 chapters, but are the ones I have left short or long?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You've got about 3 and a half hours left or so.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

CJacobs posted:

You've got about 3 and a half hours left or so.

Alrighty, my goal is to try and finish it before TEW2 releases. Even though I'm probably not going to buy it and will wait for it to be $35 on black friday/christmas flash sale or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's an admirable goal! I think you can make it if you take after my example and play the game in your every waking hour until the nightmare is over.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh hey I'm not the only one that's been playing through the first game for the first time! I'll be starting Chapter 15 tonight myself- hopefully I can clear the DLC before the sequel drops.

It's been a bumpy ride and while I don't think it really works in a lot of places, I like the game's ambition and weirdo vision. I hope TEW2 is at least as interesting.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Looks like people are streaming the game early if you guys are interested:

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/The%20Evil%20Within%202

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Neat! I will not watch but I encourage people who are on the fence to check out the game to see it actually being played by a non-games-journalist-demo-booth-person.

Please don't post spoilers if any come about. Don't post any at all tagged or not until the game is out worldwide, then you can post them in tags to your heart's content. Granted, this is the kind of game where story spoilers wouldn't really mean anything without context, but I do not want to know about Sebastian's monster truck rally boss fight in Chapter 37 before I actually get there.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 11, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm enjoying TEW so much I intend to do at least a Hard playthrough and then an NG+ one. It's a rare game that keeps me thinking of more optimal ways to do chapters or certain fights. It honestly feels like it had the potential to be even better than RE4, and I'm wondering what the real story on the development is

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ineffiable posted:

Alrighty, my goal is to try and finish it before TEW2 releases. Even though I'm probably not going to buy it and will wait for it to be $35 on black friday/christmas flash sale or something.

The DLC is worth playing too though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

Neat! I will not watch but I encourage people who are on the fence to check out the game to see it actually being played by a non-games-journalist-demo-booth-person.

Please don't post spoilers if any come about. Don't post any at all tagged or not until the game is out worldwide, then you can post them in tags to your heart's content. Granted, this is the kind of game where story spoilers wouldn't really mean anything without context, but I do not want to know about Sebastian's monster truck rally boss fight in Chapter 37 before I actually get there.

I thought you weren't reading any spoilers :confused:

:v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CJacobs posted:

but I do not want to know about Sebastian's monster truck rally boss fight in Chapter 37 before I actually get there.

I know you're just randomly throwing poo poo out but jesus christ I want this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

I'm enjoying TEW so much I intend to do at least a Hard playthrough and then an NG+ one. It's a rare game that keeps me thinking of more optimal ways to do chapters or certain fights. It honestly feels like it had the potential to be even better than RE4, and I'm wondering what the real story on the development is

The artbook, which I've hosted on the LP Archive, sheds some light on the game's development. It has spoilers for plot and stuff of course so don't read through it until you're done, but the basic gist of it is that The Evil Within initially wasn't anything like it is now and really was much closer to RE4. The enemies were once totally human much like the Ganados, but then the incredible Ikumi Nakamura was hired onto Tango Gameworks and she introduced the idea of the barbed wire, twisted faces, shattered glass and gore and box heads and all that stuff. The entire game was redesigned nearly from the ground up to be based more around the grisly concepts you see in the real thing, with the central theme being that the enemies are really hard to kill to give a greater sense of fighting and running for your life.

And also, as I just learned this past week on my Youtube streams, Nightmare difficulty in The Evil Within is bonkers and awesome. So many fun changes to enemy and trap placement that are very small, but add so much challenge.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 11, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Oh cj, there doesn't seem to be an art book for tew2. Are you considering getting the prima guide? Let us know how it is.

I actually do have tew1 art book but I'm not cracking it open until I finish the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm very tempted! If I pick it up sometime I'll make note of its quality in the thread, but from the pictures online it looks great. The allure of hardcover is strong. And yeah, the artbook for the first game is just gorgeous. It's up there with Dead Space and Mass Effect in terms of quality of the art, insight, and background info.

• Locked thread