Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceramics
May 26, 2014

So if I pick this up today, digital or physical, have a I already missed the boat on any DLC (in the US)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never played a Digimon game, only watched the first season and collected the cards when I was wee high. I read somewhere this is similar to Persona? I'm about to finish Persona 4 Golden and really loving it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

I've never played a Digimon game, only watched the first season and collected the cards when I was wee high. I read somewhere this is similar to Persona? I'm about to finish Persona 4 Golden and really loving it.

Cyber Sleuth is a bit similar, but the focus is more on collecting & training internet dragons rather than rating all your school friends on a scale of 1 to 10.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Because Links is garbage P2W whalebait. Much has been said about the chips already but on top of that are events like the ranking events where the only way to get enough rewards to get the featured digimon to +4 is to get a good chip AND play constantly. The disparity between the top two or three ranks and any other is absurd as well, to the point where the top rank gets like 50+ frags of each digimon involved but the fourth rank gets like 7. Mega digimon at +4 that hit enemy weaknesses are a necessity to do higher level content due to the game design where bosses straight up resist everything but the one element they're vulnerable, not weak, to. So if you don't constantly stay on top you can't get anything and can't make any progress. It's not a game where casual players are welcome, they're actively turned down at the door.

There's even a PVP arena that's only open for a few hours each day, just to gently caress over anyone who doesn't have the time to constantly check their phone. The rewards for the arena are unique fragments for mega digimon you can't get anywhere else.

The difference between global and Japanese versions is exceptionally weird as well. From what I can tell in Japan they have different Advent Quests each week that let people farm up old mega units so casual players can actually stay current. In Global, they just keep re-using garbage mega digimon and went so far as to put a hard cap on how many times you can run the advent quest each day.

I'm not really defending the game at all, man.

I'm just wondering why the existence of another game means they'd end another one.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Erika, please be nice to your lil worm baby

Taintrunner posted:

Cyber Sleuth/Hacker's Memory definitely tries to be a budget SMT game, yeah. There's no Social Links, but there's dialogue options that gives your otherwise silent protagonist way more of a personality. The games' are good, but it's mostly riding on the strength of its aestethics and its charming dialogue. Combat's barebones compared to the DS Digimon Story games, but it's perfectly servicable and the collecting and raising monster aspects are addictive.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Erika, please be nice to your lil worm baby

Cyber Sleuth/Hacker's Memory definitely tries to be a budget SMT game, yeah. There's no Social Links, but there's dialogue options that gives your otherwise silent protagonist way more of a personality. The games' are good, but it's mostly riding on the strength of its aestethics and its charming dialogue. Combat's barebones compared to the DS Digimon Story games, but it's perfectly servicable and the collecting and raising monster aspects are addictive.

You also don't have that infinite grinding loop where you get everything to 9999/9999 in every stat like the older Story games which I like.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Rudoku posted:

Do you like Persona? It's that but the demons are Digimon (that are usually demons).

Never played a Persona game so I guess I'll find out soon :v: That said, what people have said on this last page sounds really neat.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Waterfall of Salt posted:

There's no Social Links

Nevermind, Hacker's Memory adds something similar, you get scenes depending on which of your friends you bring with you. Nothing nearly as in-depth as Persona though

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
After having binged a ton of Persona 5 recently, having the first character in the game named Ryuji Mishima is throwing me off.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Ceramics posted:

So if I pick this up today, digital or physical, have a I already missed the boat on any DLC (in the US)?

Answering my own question but you're SOL on ps4 if you didn't pre order but you can still get all the DLC on vita if you buy it in the first month.

I think I'll grab it there, will be a nice swan song to the system and I played the first one on it anyway.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/954492623921676288

EDIT: The Vita Version isn't on the Mexican PSN :v:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My copy just showed up, don't think I'll get to start it tonight but we'll see!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Almost two hours so far and I've only had a small taste of Digimon battling so far. Tons of exposition so far. I've got to say, I love how snazzy the presentation is.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Man this game must be almost incomprehensible if you haven't played Cyber Sleuth. A good 30% of the scenes so far have just been "HEY REMEMBER THIS IS HAPPENING IN PARALLEL TO CYBER SLUETH" with a huge amount of nonsensical cameos as you juuuuuust miss the Cyber Sleuth protag.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I can confirm. Though I had at least seen art of the Cyber Sleuth protagonist so I'm not missing the cameos :v: On the plus side, I don't notice any reused assets!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

and as far as I can tell the preorder DLC still isn't live on the PSN store yet, so this has been one hell of a release day

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

What's changed between this game and the original Cyber Sleuth? I might pick this up if I can stick with Cyber Sleuth long enough to actually beat it, but I think the fact that so much of it feels like a budget game really takes me out of things. Some parts of the game just don't have any music and I'm in chapter five and there's only one dungeon they keep making me go to over and over.

I also picked up the newest World game a while ago, and while there's a lot about that game that I don't like, one thing I've come around on is the obfuscation of digivolving requirements. I haven't looked up any of the requirements of digimen I want and have instead been just rolling with whoever I get, which has kept things interesting. In Cyber Sleuth, I've got a clear goal to all the Digimon I want, but I'm worried that if I got Hacker's Memories I'd end up getting the exact same team again.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

What's changed between this game and the original Cyber Sleuth? I might pick this up if I can stick with Cyber Sleuth long enough to actually beat it, but I think the fact that so much of it feels like a budget game really takes me out of things. Some parts of the game just don't have any music and I'm in chapter five and there's only one dungeon they keep making me go to over and over.

I also picked up the newest World game a while ago, and while there's a lot about that game that I don't like, one thing I've come around on is the obfuscation of digivolving requirements. I haven't looked up any of the requirements of digimen I want and have instead been just rolling with whoever I get, which has kept things interesting. In Cyber Sleuth, I've got a clear goal to all the Digimon I want, but I'm worried that if I got Hacker's Memories I'd end up getting the exact same team again.

It has more digimon, some rebalancing and a few new mechanics like a board based 'capture the area' minigame. It is ridiculously similar to Cyber Sleuth outside of that. The basic premise is you're playing a side story while Cyber Sleuth plays out so they recycle the areas and even a lot of the plot beats and fights so it seems like Hacker's Memory guy was just off camera for the majority og Cyber Slueth

Basically its better than the original, but marginally, and recycles content heavily. I'm prettt sure some of the sidequests are repeated in their entirety.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Rebalancing? Is lilithmon not super busted anymore?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Not as much. A lot of the more ridiculous stats got toned down, and they lowered defense a lot so having Def-piercing specials isn't literally manadatory for endgame.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

Not as much. A lot of the more ridiculous stats got toned down, and they lowered defense a lot so having Def-piercing specials isn't literally manadatory for endgame.

oh thank god, it was criminal that Omnimon had a worst damage output then Wargreymon

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

oh thank god, it was criminal that Omnimon had a worst damage output then Wargreymon

Omnimon and Omnimon Zwart have a pierce attack now, Garuru Cannon :v:

Although it runs on INT so Zwart is still better than regular Omnimon.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Platinum mons now have max defense starting at level 1 but have considerably less health. I can't help but feel that this is the developers' way of shutting down colosseum grinding by making them take forever to kill off, though if one of the enemies has a good magic attack they can completely destroy them.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

QuantaStarFire posted:

The Platinum mons now have max defense starting at level 1 but have considerably less health. I can't help but feel that this is the developers' way of shutting down colosseum grinding by making them take forever to kill off, though if one of the enemies has a good magic attack they can completely destroy them.

I can't imagine not having PlatinumSukamon for grinding purposes. I did the thing in Ch4 where I grinded in the sidequest dungeon forever, and then walked into the Ch5 BlueMeramon boss battle and got my rear end beat despite my party being Paildramon MetalSeadramon Growlmon. I had to switch my entire team over to Vaccine types and even then two of them died to attacks that did more than their max health in damage, even after the 50% mitigation. I have no idea how I would have managed that fight if I didn't just happen to have Socerimon in my Farm Island to nullify the panic attacks and deal triple damage hydro pumps.

The difficulty feels super out of whack but at the same time I kind of enjoy the idea that sheer levels won't give you a win and it's required you take enemy type/element into account or else you just won't win because it's motivated me to keep a stock of digis I wouldn't have kept around normally just in case I get bodied.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The main takeaway is that, for general grinding out in the world, this is a good change since it will take a lot more effort from enemy Mons to kill them. It's just that one early-game leveling path that's been cut off, which I found disappointing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Anyone know where to get Digimon Accessories in Hackers Memory? Im in chapter 6 and still haven't found any except the ones you can get from doing online battles, but my PS+ lapsed recently and I really don't want to shell out for more.

I feel like I must be missing something obvious.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Anyone know where to get Digimon Accessories in Hackers Memory? Im in chapter 6 and still haven't found any except the ones you can get from doing online battles, but my PS+ lapsed recently and I really don't want to shell out for more.

I feel like I must be missing something obvious.

Can you not do the NPC fights without PSN?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

QuantaStarFire posted:

Can you not do the NPC fights without PSN?

When I try to go to it it keeps asking for a PSN accounr

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

as far as I'm aware Accessories (other than the one you get from transferring an old save file) are purchased from online coins only, and yes, you do need PS+ to even fight NPCs there.

No I have no idea why they'd do something that stupid either

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Isn't being super busted her defining character trait?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Goddamn do these games have tonal whiplash.

Generic happytimes segues into a brutal school shooting during a random sidequest and they decide to lovingly splatter the screen with blood as kids die.

Lovely.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Zore posted:

Generic happytimes segues into a brutal school shooting during a random sidequest and they decide to lovingly splatter the screen with blood as kids die.

Lovely.

gently caress now I'm really regretting not buying this (DB:Fighterz and Monster Hunter ate my cash).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Only partway through chapter 3 but I've come to the conclusion that none of the supporting cast is as good as Nokia from the first game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zore posted:

Lovely.

Well that kills any potential interest I had in getting Hacker's Memory

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Zore posted:

Lovely.

So this game is written by Yoko Taro?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I can't believe Etemon is actually MC Ride

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

So this game is written by Yoko Taro?

The kids don't actually die. Your character just kinda fakes it through bullshit super hacking the memory of the school shooter's fantasy? And uses it as a teaching moment on why ypu shouldn't bully people i guess to the 30 traumatized kids who just saw their real world bodies die with the great line "you all deserved it".

It just sticks out hard because they cut so many corners on presentation and the mass child murder gets a ton of unique scenes and effects.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Zore posted:

Lovely.
I'm hoping that by 'random' sidequest that means it's not one of the mandatory ones? Because I'll admit, that's really not something I'm hoping to have to play through if at all possible.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zore posted:

The kids don't actually die. Your character just kinda fakes it through bullshit super hacking the memory of the school shooter's fantasy? And uses it as a teaching moment on why ypu shouldn't bully people i guess to the 30 traumatized kids who just saw their real world bodies die with the great line "you all deserved it".

It just sticks out hard because they cut so many corners on presentation and the mass child murder gets a ton of unique scenes and effects.

Ok that makes more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm liking hacker's memories but I can't help but be disappointed that It's pretty much the same as the last game so far. I'm biased because I just came off another SMT:Final playthough which is the same deal only it fixed pretty much every single issues I had with the base game mechanically. At least change the menu colors and add some new battle tracks to make it look different, jeez.

• Locked thread