Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat
Well since I'm too much of a square to have been banned ever I guess I'll just pay the price of three reregs in donations instead. If I was a cooler forumsposter that's probably the amount of times I would have been banned.

Sorry to hear about your mom and the forum cost issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
drat SA Godfather sorry to hear that, that sounds rough as poo poo. If I wasn't poor as gently caress I'd be happy to toss some dollas at you but I have just enough money every month to not be homeless and starving. I love living in Florida, really I swear!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Pound_Coin posted:

you have to pay to be a guinea pig? daaaamn

You gotta pay if you donate a body to science too.

loving retarded.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

What will become of THE MOUNT ZULU SEX ROOM ?

Sorry about your mom.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Based off comments in this thread, I get the impression that the forums are in really dire straits and that we're barely treading water at this point.

While I understand not disclosing business details to the community, I hope Lowtax gives us a heads up before it's too late for everyone to rally together and provide a solution.

It would really suck if one day we woke up to an announcement saying, "Welp, I'm so far in debt that there's nothing that can be done to fix things. The forums will shut off in two weeks."

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747
I heard that Rich’s full frontal nudie scene from DH3:0:O got leaked, any links? please

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

gbs but from 2004 posted:

I know “lol patreon” and we already paid 10bux but why not patreon? I’m sure a good portion of the user base would throw some cash your way to maintain the daily dose of quality poo poo posts

I would be happy to donate through patreon. That's automatic and thus easier then remembering to donate manually or deliberately get myself banned once a month. Laziness and poor memory are not things :10bux: can fix so I might as well put that towards keeping a dead gay comedy forum on life support instead.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
How do off site SA make fun of us survive?

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

make the forums cost money yearly. people will pay, and if they don't, they suck anyway

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Based off comments in this thread, I get the impression that the forums are in really dire straits and that we're barely treading water at this point.

While I understand not disclosing business details to the community, I hope Lowtax gives us a heads up before it's too late for everyone to rally together and provide a solution.

It would really suck if one day we woke up to an announcement saying, "Welp, I'm so far in debt that there's nothing that can be done to fix things. The forums will shut off in two weeks."
:agreed: i'd really like SA to keep existing

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

lowtax, why do you post exclusively in GBS?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lowtax could pull the fundraising crap that Wikipedia does and I'd probably actually pony up the dough.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Fragmaster's return heralds the dawn of a new era for Something Awful, for he is now in all of our basements... and inside our minds.

Nthing that I would gladly agree to pay an annual fee to post here, donate via Patreon, etc. I still maintain that most places online are dumpsters full of rotting chicken carcasses during a summer heatwave.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If SA goes away I will be damaged, seriously. Be blunt, specific, and make changes (make us pay more) if you have to, and see what happens before you throw in the towel.

PROMISE ME!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Thanks for all the work you’ve put into this place. I’m glad it’s still here. Is there any way to maybe reincorporate it as a nonprofit or a public-benefit corp and still pay yourself a modest salary? Like if you’re just barely keeping it afloat and the reason for keeping it afloat is to keep the community and forums alive rather than reap the web2.0 venture capital bux or whatever, thats basically already a nonprofit.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

Just lie about where it came from. Tell her you sold your kidney or something.

Or tell her you sold your neck cartilidge to the chinese for some cash monies.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
Lowtax's Patreon is here.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

i hope we'll always have these dead gay forums, to shitpost endlessly forever

teamwork makes the dream work so let's keep the dream alive

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

pixaal posted:

Lowtax have you thought about making smilies into lapel pins and selling them at a mark up? I know a goon was doing this in 04 or 05. You could even sell them in sets of 4 or 5 and only include 1 popular one in each set so it's cheaper to ship.

A quick google got me

I'd love to buy some, especially if it helped to keep the forums going and your mother live.

I love these and would buy some at a crazy mark-up.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

pixaal posted:

Lowtax have you thought about making smilies into lapel pins and selling them at a mark up? I know a goon was doing this in 04 or 05. You could even sell them in sets of 4 or 5 and only include 1 popular one in each set so it's cheaper to ship.

A quick google got me

I'd love to buy some, especially if it helped to keep the forums going and your mother live.

id buy the goatse one and the ass2mouth one and any other hosed up poo poo

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I buy people redtexts AND get banned a lot so I guess in a way I am personally responsible for what little financial well being you have

You're welcome 'tax man.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I am very dang excited for DH3:0:O

Yaws posted:

lowtax, why do you post exclusively in GBS?

It's the best forum dude!

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Tell ya what lowtax - Create a patreon and I will redirect my $10 per month I give to wikipedia to SA. The only catch is you have to tell me the population of Eritrea or how many citroen 2CVs were sold whenever I call you up and ask.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
I still very much enjoy these fine forums Lowtax, best wishes to you and your family. Here's :10bux::10bux: for some cartilage injections or whatever how does that work

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Start a patreon! It'll be like that time we all donated to that paypal fund to help the victims of Katrina :unsmigghh:

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Handen posted:

Start a patreon! It'll be like that time we all donated to that paypal fund to help the victims of Katrina :unsmigghh:

Or when we helped that hot dog man

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope
Taxman - good luck with everything, having a parent in failing health is rough, made worse when you're having your own issues. I dropped some change in the jar, hoping for the best for you and yours. I agree with some of the others, it might be worth moving to some kind of subscription model? I'd gladly drop my Washington Post subscription and redirect the money to SA

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Good luck with everything, Lowtax!

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Just turn the forums into a single reddit page and rake in the dough

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Serious with my suggestion of a monthly subscription for the site with some as yet unknown benefits.

Also I wouldn’t mind someone buying me an av to help Rich

Piggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 8, 2017

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'd definitely chip in 10$ a month for a SA forums/keep Lowtax' family alive patraeon. Gaming Garbage just isn't my thing.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
a mood house?

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
There have been good suggestions in the Xenforo thread, the gist is that people want to know how much is needed and maybe see how much is being donated. Maybe some kind of progress bar at the top of the forums that shows how far Lowtax is from bankruptcy.

Just sorta maybe kinda asking people to donate if they like doesn't seem to work, it's a matter of perception I guess.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

amotea posted:

There have been good suggestions in the Xenforo thread, the gist is that people want to know how much is needed and maybe see how much is being donated. Maybe some kind of progress bar at the top of the forums that shows how far Lowtax is from bankruptcy.

Just sorta maybe kinda asking people to donate if they like doesn't seem to work, it's a matter of perception I guess.

That's a fairly big no-no from a business perspective generally. You don't disclose assets like that.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

There Bias Two posted:

That's a fairly big no-no from a business perspective generally. You don't disclose assets like that.

Dunno it seems to work for Wikipedia, The Internet Archive and kickstarters in general.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

amotea posted:

Dunno it seems to work for Wikipedia, The Internet Archive and kickstarters in general.

Yeah but those are organizations. This would basically translate to one guy's personal assets in a public space.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Piggy Smalls posted:

Serious with my suggestion of a monthly subscription for the site with some as yet unknown benefits.

Also I wouldn’t mind someone buying me an av to help Rich

PM me your email address

e: you see, this is a joke bc Piggy Smalls doesn't have Plat and is too cheap to help Rich whilst asking for handouts simultaneously. Shame.

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 8, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is Fragmaster going to be in this one?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks for the congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Harveygod posted:

Tell her you sold your neck cartilage.

Or start a GoFundMe and just keep the money like almost every other GoFundMe. My brother-in-law just made one to by a headstone for his suddenly dead dad. It brought in like $2000 and he drank it all. It'd be funnier if I weren't probably going to be the one to eventually have to buy the damned stone.

Jokes on him: He's going to jail (for unrelated poo poo). That's the power of karma (and also of beating your wife with a chair and trying to strangle her).

Make sure that you add a notation on the back of the headstone that says something to the effect of "My good-for-nothing son drank all the original headstone money. Thanks to my son-in-law, Harveygod, for being such a stand-up guy and footing the bill for this one." I think more headstones should have fun stuff like that on the back. It would make graveyards much more entertaining.

Edit: Lowtax, I have Patreoned you! Enjoy the spoils!

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 8, 2017

• Locked thread