Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

my dog died im sad posted:

You're kidding. Is that actually the author?

That is him, next to GRRM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

GOKU and VEGETA are baking a cake for me. It's my 30 birthday and, let's face it, things are going great. I became Player One, I was ready. I saved the world from the virus or hackers or whatever. Who gives a poo poo, remember when the IRON GIANT showed up? Cool.

They bring out the cake. Suddenly, someone steps in the room, someone I've never seen before.

"Don't you know? The cake is a lie."

*DRAMATIC ELECTRONIC MUSIC STING*

*READY PLAYER TWO*

*COMING NEXT SUMMER*

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
this book was so bad that it is very surprising to me how many people liked it. And I'm a person who regularly enjoys trash fiction.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

KillerJunglist posted:

Hydrogen atoms only have one proton. Everyone knows that. If you lose that proton it doesn't exist anymore.

What a terrible metaphor for masturbation.

It’s because the author’s dick is so small he needs a scanning tunneling electron microscope to get off.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Its probably going to be an okay movie even though the source material is trash. Isn't that Spielberg's thing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Its probably going to be an okay movie even though the source material is trash. Isn't that Spielberg's thing

The BFG sucked

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Spielberg's thing is making trash yes

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*

ChickenHeart posted:

Seriously though, could someone give me a rundown on why this will be bad beyond the trailers being the most pander-tastic piece of media I've seen? Is there anything to the plot beyond "...and then I met BUBSY who told me to believe in myself"-style young adult novel nonsense?

EDIT: I hope a TF2 Scout does a sandman-guillotine combo to that Tracer

sandman-guillotine combos got nerfed :/ but if the movie has a tf2 reference it better be the heavy and his minigun, i would tear up and cry if i saw that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, I think I just flat-out hate him.

What a loving goon, jesus.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Please post more awful quotes from the book holy poo poo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

"Descending the network of metal girders had always reminded me of old platform videogames like Donkey Kong or BurgerTime. I'd seized upon this idea a few years ealier when I coded my first Atari 2600 game (a gunter rite of passage, like a Jedi building his first lightsaber)."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Knight posted:

Someone will probably post it, but there's a few pages of that book where he just lists things from the 80s. In context, it appears in a section where he's doing research and consuming media but instead of displaying use of his knowledge ("I can name all the ewoks") or making his activities exciting ("I blew through the Terminator movies, slashed through Nightmare on Elm Street") or anything that would have added the tiniest amount of flavor, it's just "I read <author>, <author>, <author>, <author>... I watched <movie>, <movie>, <movie>"

"When it came to my research, I never took any shortcuts. Over the past five years, I'd worked my way down the entire recommended gunter reading list. Douglas Adams. Kurt Vonnegut. Neal Stephenson. Richard K. Morgan. Stephen King. Orson Scott Card. Terry Pratchett. Terry Brooks. Bester. Bradbury, Halderman, Heinlein, Tolkein, Vance, Gibson, Gaiman, Sterling, Moorcock, Scalzi, Zelazny."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

oh my god

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Easily the worst book I've ever read.

Well partially read, it was too terrible to finish.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, I think I just flat-out hate him.

What a loving goon, jesus.

Its gets worse: For his second book he flat out made "The Last Starfighter" combined with "Enders Game". Like really, really, lazy crap.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

"Dagorath was a word in Sindarin, the Elvish language J. R. R. Tolkien had created for The Lord of the Rings. The word dagorath meant “battle,” but Tolkien had spelled the word with just one “g,” not two. “Daggorath” (with two “g”s) could refer only to one thing: an incredibly obscure computer game called Dungeons of Daggorath released in 1982. The game had been made for just one platform, the TRS-80 Color Computer.”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
is this the book where he tries to hide his fortune in mmo money or something

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Blue Train posted:

"Descending the network of metal girders had always reminded me of old platform videogames like Donkey Kong or BurgerTime. I'd seized upon this idea a few years ealier when I coded my first Atari 2600 game (a gunter rite of passage, like a Jedi building his first lightsaber)."

This isn't real...

...is it?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

You know I loving hate it how people like this appropriate every loving scientist as a nerd or geek or whatever. The two aren't as connected as a bunch of idiots think.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

This isn't real...

...is it?

Welcome to hell

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

This isn't real...

...is it?

It's all too real. I think there's like a page that is nothing but just listing 80s stuff and video games with almost no connection to the plot, it's just a barrage of reference. Actually it may have been more like 10-20 pages. Or the entire book.

The only thing I kind of liked in the book was the miserable dystopian future part where the dude is a slave job as tech support for an ISP company and only has access to 10 episodes of a corporate-produced sitcom as entertainment. That was kind of fun in how miserable it was. But that was a a miniscule amount of the book and still drowned out by hamfisted and overexplained references and outright pandering.

This dude also wrote "Fanboys", a terrible movie - Me and some friends watched this on someone else's recommendation and after what felt like an hour realized we were only 20 minutes in and no one had laughed even once and then we just turned it off.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

This isn't real...

...is it?

Apparently the main character wins by reciting a bit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mordja posted:

Apparently the main character wins by reciting a bit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

No, the entire movie.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

This movie looks stupid as poo poo and shows Spielberg's age. I laughed at the part where they all get in their virtual cars at the same time and pull the door closed or whatever dumb thing it was they did. Didn't anyone learn anything from Lawnmower Man? This poo poo just doesn't age well and is stupid to begin with.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 11, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Randarkman posted:

It's all too real. I think there's like a page that is nothing but just listing 80s stuff and video games with almost no connection to the plot, it's just a barrage of reference. Actually it may have been more like 10-20 pages. Or the entire book.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

A Fancy Hat posted:

GOKU and VEGETA are baking a cake for me. It's my 30 birthday and, let's face it, things are going great. I became Player One, I was ready. I saved the world from the virus or hackers or whatever. Who gives a poo poo, remember when the IRON GIANT showed up? Cool.

They bring out the cake. Suddenly, someone steps in the room, someone I've never seen before.

"Don't you know? The cake is a lie."

*DRAMATIC ELECTRONIC MUSIC STING*

*READY PLAYER TWO*

*COMING NEXT SUMMER*

The one good thing about the book is that the pop culture references are from the 80s. So there’s no Goku or Pokémon or any other millennial garbage.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Blue Train posted:

"When it came to my research, I never took any shortcuts. Over the past five years, I'd worked my way down the entire recommended gunter reading list. Douglas Adams. Kurt Vonnegut. Neal Stephenson. Richard K. Morgan. Stephen King. Orson Scott Card. Terry Pratchett. Terry Brooks. Bester. Bradbury, Halderman, Heinlein, Tolkein, Vance, Gibson, Gaiman, Sterling, Moorcock, Scalzi, Zelazny."

This goes on...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A random page (Yes, I shamefully own a physical copy of this piece of trash).

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Holy poo poo. I've heard just rumours about this book, but if even half of these quotes are real, it is worse then I imagined.

Why can't people adapt fun dystopian sci-fi like Snowcrash instead of this poo poo.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

ChickenHeart posted:

Seriously though, could someone give me a rundown on why this will be bad beyond the trailers being the most pander-tastic piece of media I've seen? Is there anything to the plot beyond "...and then I met BUBSY who told me to believe in myself"-style young adult novel nonsense?

EDIT: I hope a TF2 Scout does a sandman-guillotine combo to that Tracer

The book has pages upon pages that are nothing but references to 80's pop culture and the message of the story is that it's okay to be a nerd shut-in with no ambitions beyond having useless trivia knowledge. Also, the software engineer turned CEO of a major corporation was a HUGE NERD who apparently had enough time to beat every video game ever made as a child instead of studying or doing homework.

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 11, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

RobotDogPolice posted:

The book has pages upon pages that are nothing but references to 80's pop culture and the message of the story is that it's okay to be a nerd shut-in with no ambitions beyond having useless trivia knowledge.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I tried out Loot Crate a few years ago, on a three month trial thingy. The first month, this book was sent to me. I had a feeling that, since it was packaged in with a bunch of useless garbage, it was likely the same. Welp, now I know.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Holy poo poo. I've heard just rumours about this book, but if even half of these quotes are real, it is worse then I imagined.

Why can't people adapt fun dystopian sci-fi like Snowcrash instead of this poo poo.

"There was a problem. I used my encyclopedic knowledge of the 80s to solve it."

Repeat 100 times. That's it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

RobotDogPolice posted:

The book has pages upon pages that are nothing but references to 80's pop culture and the message of the story is that it's okay to be a nerd shut-in with no ambitions beyond having useless trivia knowledge.

The book has kind of a half-hearted moral that sometimes you should try to get with the chubby girl you are online-crushing on instead though. The romance parts of this book are kind of hilarious.

Another random page, wherein our heroes gloriously defeat a jock COD-gamer at 80s trivia.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Randarkman posted:

The book has kind of a half-hearted moral that sometimes you should try to get with the chubby girl you are online-crushing on instead though. The romance parts of this book are kind of hilarious.

Another random page, wherein our heroes gloriously defeat a jock COD-gamer at 80s trivia.

So, this whole book is like dream-versions of "shitthatdidnthappen.txt" with 80s references. Coooooooool.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I had no idea you could just list things and get steven spielberg to make you a movie

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
gunter

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

bag em and tag em posted:

Repeat 100 times. That's it.

Nah there's only problem solving like 10 times. The book is more like this

quote:

Remember the 80s?
Remember the 80s?
Remember the 80s?
Remember the 80s?
Remember the 80s?
Videogames!
Remember the 80s?
Remember the 80s?
Remember the 80s?
Remember the 80s?

then repeat 100 times.

The book you were describing is the Martian. Except replace "encyclopedic knowledge of the 80s" with "Science!"

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Remember kids, don't cultivate useful skills or try to improve your life in the present in any meaningful way. Instead, romanticise the past and absorb as much trivia knowledge as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

• Locked thread