Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Randalor posted:

White is the only color, just like a beautiful tank of propane (and propane accessories).

Now lemme tell ya hwhat, this Randalor fellow is man after my own heart! White is just the color I was going to vote for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
To update really quick, I've been intending on doing updates on Thursdays and alternating now that my schedule has settled down at uni but due to the complete incompetence of my university my timetable has shifted twice in two weeks. God willing this will be the last time so I'll try and update on either Monday or Wednesday in future.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Ahh University incompetence. It brings me back. That makes me sound old, poo poo, I'm only 26, I need my baby blood injection.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
That Anime explanation in the OP explains why I the Zoids anime I found a while back when I went looking seemed so weird; I was used to Zero, not the original. So thanks for that.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Siegkrow posted:

Ahh University incompetence. It brings me back. That makes me sound old, poo poo, I'm only 26, I need my baby blood injection.

Psh, baby blood, now, orphan tears are the way to go.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Kemix posted:

Psh, baby blood, now, orphan tears are the way to go.

The solution is obviously to use baby orphans.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I shall fetch the snakes!

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Siegkrow posted:

I'm 27. My entire class is babies and it's annoying.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Ace of Aces posted:

I'm 27. My entire class is babies and it's annoying.

You see...the joke here is that colleges are a waste of money and about half the people that go there are self-entitled brats who think they actually matter.

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012

Kemix posted:

You see...the joke here is that colleges are a waste of money and about half the people that go there are self-entitled brats who think they actually matter.

I mean, you don't need a college degree, much like you don't need a car, but life tends to get better once you have one or so I'm told.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Kemix posted:

ahhh América. Where you can succeed and most businesses don't look down on you for not having a college degree.

I can't even get a job in friggin tourism without a degree in my country.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
First of all, sorry for the big delay; my father had an episode and is now largely wheelchair-bound which has been putting something of a damper on my free time.

Second of all, let's get on with the fuckin' plot, shall we?

This is in the weapons shop in Llama Town.

And this is in the item shop.

If you recall, we came here to participate in Zoids battles. This building is where you sign up and start tournaments from.

Unfortunatly, this is the rule in Llama Town, and we don't have a partner.

: Need to find a battle partner. If somebody looks like a Zoids warrior, I'll try talking to him.

This starts another short little "talk to everyone" quest like in the first town, where everyone who looks like a pilot in Llama Town turns out to already have a team or otherwise be unavailable. I'm actually not sure if you have to talk to everyone or just the lady warrior in the Institute to trigger the next event.

: Good that I ran into you.
: Huh?
: I couldn't thank you properly then... I really appreciate it.
: Not at all. With your ability, I didn't even have to help you.
: No, no... not true... Oh... I haven't even introduced myself. I am Hank.
: I'm Juno. Nice to meet you. What?
: Huh?
: The pendant you're wearing... I have seen it somewhere before...
: My dad gave this to me. My mom always had this on her. It's to remember her by.
: ... it's pretty...

Juno steps forward to touch it and the pendant flashes, making her jump about four feet in the air.

: What's the matter?
: ... I thought that the pendant shined for a moment...
: Huh? I don't think it did...
: Sorry... my mistake. It sometimes happens to me... I can almost remember my past...
: What does that mean?
: Huh,oh... nothing... I must be tired after a long trip. But why are you in this town?
: Actually, I've been looking for a Zoids battle partner. They say I can't participate alone. This must mean something... how about becoming my partner?

Smooth, buddy.

: Let me see... Zoids battles have always fascinated me. Speaking of good timing.

Nobody said anything about good timing.

: Shall we start a battle, then?
: Let's go!

Note: while the plot threads about Juno here will quickly become very relevant, Hank's pendant I'm pretty sure never actually gets followed up on. It's something to do with him secretly being royalty... which is appropriate for the King of the Hill, I guess!

: And what about our team name? TEAM HANK is that alright?
: Heh, that's fine.

:toot:

: Oh... since you can be rather wild, how about using this deck command.

I accidentally saved over the picture, but she gives us Friendship!

:getin:

This may not seem like much, but Friendship is the key to extended journeys out of town. As with all deck commands, it's only usable once per battle, but it restores the HP of all allied Zoids by half of their maximum HP - quite often you can make trips of infinite length simply by casting Friendship at the start of a battle. She also gives us Conservation, which prevents any of your Zoids from taking any action for one turn, but fully restores the EP of one allied Zoid in return - it's very useful now when there aren't many Zoids involved, but not later on when you lose too many actions as a result.

Juno still has her Gun Tiger. Speaking of which, it looks like there were four votes for Brown so I guess we have a Brownler. While I'm at the Institute, I also make some futureproofing upgrades: maxing out the Redler's defense, and raising the Gun Tiger's defense, its fixed weapons power, and the amount of EP it regenerates per turn since the Static Magnum takes up so much EN jesus christ.

Oh, the reason I split them up is to avoid certain weapon types - this way, they can't both be hit by N, B, or V weapons.

It gets both guns as well, since the Laser Machinegun has Anti-Air and the Small Laser is a V weapon, so it will pierce through enemies.

Our first opponents, the Cannon Team, are using a standard 1-1 formation. They can actually hit pretty hard with those big guns on the Cannon Tortoise, but their actual ability to fight is pretty low.

Brownler in action!

There are actually something like four different Juno pilots since she leaves and rejoins at various points through the game (she's a stock mysterious waif, so this doesn't cont as a spoiler). This one is slightly higher level and has Multishot.

Beeeaaammu

WEAKLINGS

Even though the sprites in this aren't spectacular, I do really like how almost everything that has a fold-out blade does actually have the blade pop out.

The Killer Team are weaker than the Cannon Team, although the Killerdome is of some minor concern - its RaDOME-esque attack can instill anti-air into the target, which is a problem for Hank's Brownler.

Generally speaking, pilots have seven-ish lines of dialogue: a few for attacking, and then one each for dodging, taking damage, being shot down, and using a non-damaging weapon. The support weapon dialogue is usually the most insane.

The Saicurtis Team are likely to be your first problem here if you're playing normally - they have the 20% evasion bonus from being flying and their main cannons hit surprisingly hard. They're also tougher than you might expect. Also, because they're not using the 1-1 formation the other teams have been using, Juno can't just obliterate them with the Small Laser.

We have this for just such an occasion! Unfortunately, since it's not an anti-air weapon, its accuracy does leave a little to be desired...

gently caress. That was more than half the Brownler's HP, and it hit him with Freeze too, which means he can't act at all until it wears off. Fortunately we got there thanks to criticals from Juno!

The Bugs Team seem like a step down, but Guysacks are very nimble and have a smoke generator which makes them extremely annoying to try and hit. It basically sits there as an evasion tank so that the Cannonry Molga can use its big gun.

Unfortunately for them, Juno can just hit the Cannonry Molga with her Static Magnum and follow up with the Small Laser to try and hit the Guysack as well, which kind of ruins their plan.

Particle Gun actually hitting the target! This fight goes on for another four turns as I repeatedly miss 80% hit rates against the Guysack. Note that you don't have to do all of these in a row - if you get bodied, you can duck out to the Institute for a heal, and you can modify your setup between battles. The only thing is that you have to have two Zoids in your setup when you begin the fight.

It's these assholes from challenge mode again, and this time we don't have any anti-evasion deck commands. The fight is basically the same, though - it's just a matter of using your most accurate attacks at first and then bringing out the heavy duty stuff when their optical camoflage wears off. And sometimes, like this time, they'll be really stupid and not actually set their camoflage on turn 1.

:hellyeah:

Hellcats are awesome.

Oh hey we levelled up. We still aren't at the Brownler's CLV, but the penalties are now lessened, and in another level we'll be providing pretty significant boosts to it. We also get Multishot. Hank's skills as a pilot make him good at pretty much everything; he's a very jack of all trades character. Partly this is useful because he usually changes Zoids the most, but it also has benefits because very shortly he'll get access to something that lets him have a second set of skills that the player can customize.

As you can see, the Redler suddenly gained 25 HP out of nowhere, which is due to the penalties caused by Hank not being up to scratch being lessened. When he gains another level, its stats will suddenly massively shoot up, as they'll be receiving a full bonus without any penalties.

Anyway, that's the last battle of the tournament, so we may as well leave town...

The game gives you an extremely subtle warning that PLOT will happen when you leave.

: Yeah, maybe. Battles in another town sounds good, too. Shall we go? I hear there's a village west of here. Let's go see it.

Hint, hint. The game still blocks you if you try to move past the village too far, which is frustrating since otherwise I could go and get some really good Zoids out of the sea caves, but oh well.

There is nothing shocking actually happening in this picture, there's no big sound or anything that would provoke this reaction.

:v: Emer... emergency! B.. bandits are raiding the temple! Help!
: Juno!
: Okay, let's go!
:v: This way!

He takes us up to some trees (!) north of the town proper.

He runs off...

: That guy ran away.

Man. I said we were going to OFS the poo poo out of this game as a joke but god some of Hank's incredibly banal dialogue sounds like Marche from FFTA...

: Hey, you're going in Zoids too? Why don't we have a Zoids battle? The loser leaves.

Please stop making that face.

:black101: Alright! Get out of the village! You'll never speak to us like that again!

The team of four Hellrunners isn't hugely problematic, but their stats are fairly solid compared to Wild ones due to having proper pilots. They also are equipped with optional weapons, the first time we've seen that. Some of them are pretty solid, too - it's a shame we don't have Junk Parts to snag them.

As is traditional for Zoids, most of the ones that have optional weapons are mounting guns bigger than they are. If you're playing normally and just come straight here from the arena without farming for a Redler or whatever then this fight can be pretty rough, since they can hit pretty hard and you're outnumbered 2-1, but basically the next time we have fights of any difficulty will be when we go out of our way to an area we can't complete yet to farm for better Zoids.

Please stop.

:black101: We'll be back!
: Yeah, any time!

Juno chooses this moment to have a Vietnam flashback. At least it was AFTER the battle.

: Juno, what is it?

She high-tails it out of town without saying a word.

: Juno!
:v: What's wrong with her? She went north in her panic.
: (Something's wrong. I'll go after her and find out!)

Despite that, we're actually going to stay and raid the town.

In the weapons shop. The Gatling has a reasonable power of 40 but more importantly it hits on a W, so it will hit an entire column of enemies.

The weapon shop also sells a direct upgrade to our Particle Gun (which we won't be getting because by the time we can equip it we'll have better weapons to equip on better Zoids), but it also sells batches of anti-air weapons. This is the game dropping a big huge hint on you, so pay attention to it.

Oh yeah, here's the temple, since you don't actually see it in the confrontation. You can't go in, though.

Anyway, head North from the village and you'll enter an area that doesn't exist on the map. Through the trees, Hank spots Juno on the ground...

This is Mystery Warrior from the challenge mode match!

: Interesting. I'll let you go if we fight and I receive any damage.
: What! Just a minute!

This fight is the entire reason I farmed for Hank's Brownler. Normally you're still ground-pounding, possibly in the Saberlion, and between the 20% evasion bonus and her great stats, laying a hit on her can be extremely frustrating. This is why the shop was selling anti-air weapons.

Of course, the Redler's default weapons also have anti-air, making this fight a trivial thing.

Oh, and she hits like a truck. This was 50 damage, exactly half the Brownler's HP.

Once you finally hit her, an event plays. It's kind of weirdly phrased, since the upshot is meant to be that she's retreating because she's honouring her end of the bargain, but the way she puts it makes it seem like she's getting her rear end beat, which is absolutely not the case.

Oh, as near as I know there's nothing special that happens if you grind until you can oneshot her.

She and her bandits vanish...

... and Hank's face melts off.

I seriously can't get over this portrait.

:v: There's an unused shack in the village. Take her there.
:v: We'll take her.

Back at the village...

Time for some explanations! Maybe.

: You don't remember? When the bandits were gone, your pain started suddenly, and you rushed out alone...
: I can't remember anything... ... about a year ago, I was rescued at the ruins, unconscious. All I could remember was my name then... my memory before that is still gone... maybe today's incident is related to that...

Submit your own caption for this portrait.

: The villagers who saved me were nice, but I left there in search of my past. Somehow, I knew how to handle Zoids.
: ... then we're alike. My parents used to be in the Forces, but they were living on the frontier When I was born... a war spread to their village, and the whole village was gone... I'm the only survivor. Since then, I've been searching for my hometown. This pendant's the key... but being a Zoids pilot has kept me too busy to follow up on the search lately...
: ... I didn't know.
: (But who's the woman that tried to kidnap Juno... something to do with Juno's past...?)

"The bandits are coming!"

Also, note that Mystery Warrior was referred to as a woman here. The game will quickly become very confused about their gender.

So we head out and it's that guy who ran off before, back for more...

:black101: None of your business! Where's the woman?
: What! Juno? I see. The woman who tried to kidnap Juno must be your boss.
:black101: Humph! So what?
: I won't just let you go back with her!!

This guy is alone, and only has a Guysack. What's going on here?

: Confess! Where's your boss? Confess, or...
:black101: Huh, if you really want to know. You don't have time to do that. By now...
: What...!? Is it Juno!?

Hank rushes to the shack...

And when he discovers that he fell for the diversion, his face melts off again.

The bandit we just beat up has taken advantage of Hank's distraction to split as well.

: No, they must still be around here. Let's go after them!

Heading North, we stop at the subtly-named Outlaw Town. Hank decides to ask around for information.

This building to the left of the entrance has a chest with the ZiData for the Hammer Rock (the tiny Iron Kongs I was complaining about last update) in it.

This is in the far top right of the town.

I feel like this was probably a slightly raunchier line in the Japanese... anyway, our tip is to check out the Institute.

And we find this guy! Say hello to Bit loving Cloud, my favorite Zoids protagonist (the star of Zoids New Century/ZERO). He's actually a mechanic and junk dealer first and a pilot second. Unusually for a franchise that usually has shounen idiot heroes, Bit's actually pretty smart, and quite a few of his wins, particularly early on where he's not very skilled yet, have more to do with analyzing the situation and manipulating the environment or the enemy Zoid to his advantage.

:hydrogen: No, no... the module can't be repaired like that.
: Tsk! If I'd owned Zoids, I'd be earning money from battles.
: A warrior? Probably has nothing to do with the woman warrior.
: Oh? What about warriors?
: Oh, I was looking for warriors.
: Looking for a battle partner? That's great!
: Huh!?
: I'm Bit. Bit Cloud. Making the best Zoids with the best parts is my dream. That's why I travel. But for parts and repairs, I need money. You need a partner, right? Great! I can earn money now!
: (That's not what I meant, but okay.) I am Hank. Nice to see you. I expect a battle, but I must take care of something first. Could you come along?
: Must be for a special reason. That's fine with me.
: I'm looking for the leader of the bandits.
: Bandits? Oh, some guys that look like bandits went into the building at the front of the town. A woman looking like a warrior was with them. Want to go in? And as I told you before, I don't have Zoids now. I will pilot one of your Zoids, but make sure that you put me in team formation.

The game reminds you about this most of the time, but I'm actually glad it does since it can be really easy to just forget about it entirely.

Bit is a defense-type pilot and he starts with Good Grapple, Liger Type:1, and Impudence (which makes him resistant to Freeze). The Gun Tiger isn't a good fit for him - but the Saberlion is!

This guy in the bottom-right of the Institute will teach you CoreSecurity1, which is used to pick up the "parts" that go with ZiData to produce Zoids, like the ZoidsCore parts I needed last time. Not all parts that you get with CoreSecurity are ZoidsCore-type parts, but the function is the same: DataGatherer gets you ZiData, CoreSecurity gets you parts, and you put them together to get Zoids. Once we have Junk Parts, we'll have all the "salvage" type commands.

And this big heal is in the Institute. At this point, we head back to the building we got the Hammer Rock data from.

Surprise, motherfucker!

: Didn't think you'd come after us. You're quite bold.
: Why Juno? What do you want from her?
: No comment... Why don't you worry about yourself, instead?
: You...!
: Maybe I'll give you a chance. If you defeat this man in a battle, your wish may be granted. Or are you running away from here?

Based on the phrasing, I'm pretty sure that what Mystery Warrior actually is saying here is a phrase which does literally mean that, but the actual meaning is not a "place" but a situation or time. So it's more like, "or are you going to run away after coming this far?".

: So this is the business.
: That's right. I want to save a girl called Juno.
: Got it. I'm with you.
: Take these guys!
:black101: Yes ma'am!
: You're no match for us!

Speaking of Hammer Rocks. This guy has a crapton of HP and a Gatling, but not much else going for him. So after we beat him in a turn and a half, Hank heads back to the abandoned building, and...

... having been duped again, his face melts off. The note on the desk has some information, though:

Juno's with us. If you want her back, enter a tournament at the Galil Sandstorm Stadium.

: Galil Storm...
: Galil Storm... the east stadium. Shall we go?
: Of course! Juno! We're coming to rescue you!

Meanwhile...

: Okay... this puts us in a better situation than the Back Draft Team.

For some reason "Back Draft" is two words in this game, pretty much all the time.

: ... then, there'll be no need to use Leviathe...
: What should we do?
: He'll be used in the BD Team plan. That'll be better for us, too.
: But Leviathe is not likely to agree.

"I've never betrayed anyone in my life, after all."

Hmm... I think that's a good place to stop for now.

Next time: I think I can finally go to the sea caves and really screw with the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bit's alright in the show but he's a pain in the rear end in game since he won't let you whip his zoid into shape til long past its useful life.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

:razz:

God, some of the expressions in this game are magical.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Prince Gard is obviously a poo poo quality Char.

Also, dude, your dad is more important than an LP, if you want to spend time with him, you shouldn't feel guilty.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Yapping Eevee posted:

God, some of the expressions in this game are magical.

I had genuinely forgotten how bad the portraits in this game could be since I mostly remembered the 'translation'.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Multishot is really, really good, especially with some of the later Zoids you can get. Or as I bet we'll be seeing next update, some of the Zoids you can get right now. Just being able to make 2 ranged attacks in one turn is great. I was frustrated when Juno got kidnapped and left the party again after such a short time, purely because she contributed that pilot ability.

I'd also argue that Zoids doesn't tend to have idiot shonen protagonists. I haven't' seen Fuzors, but while a couple of the others do have teenagers as the protagonists they're never the obnoxious types. They all grow and develop as people over the course of their respective shows as well, which is really great. None of them are like Shu from Blue Dragon, is what I'm saying.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh hey, we've gotten to the first part of the game where Leviathe (The Redler pilot) has her gender-swapped with basically every line of translation. For the record, she is a woman, but she's typically referred to in boyish ways. So the script, which is basically machine translated just... loving does whatever it wants. This is common and recurring.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Onmi posted:

Oh hey, we've gotten to the first part of the game where Leviathe (The Redler pilot) has her gender-swapped with basically every line of translation. For the record, she is a woman, but she's typically referred to in boyish ways. So the script, which is basically machine translated just... loving does whatever it wants. This is common and recurring.

Aw, I was trying to hide that for a later update. But yeah, the problem is that Japanese third-person pronouns that are tone neutral (like the "tsu" line - aitsu, koitsu, doitsu etc.) also tend to be gender-neutral and while English technically has a word that can be used in this situation (the singular "they"), machines usually default to "he" to avoid accidental pluralization. On top of that, after machining out the text it looks like it was just translated front-to-back without any checks for context, so they went with "he", probably for safety (since the majority of active characters are male, especially in this genre). It gets really weird in scenes where Leviathe is present, though... I'm pretty sure the reason they get it right with her bandits is because they use "anego", the feminine form of "aniki".

Anyway, have a quick Challenging Mode Update.

This is a rematch with Mystery Warrior, and once again we have Off-Grd Mines and Muddy Ground to make it easier to hit her. This one is very luck-based - opening with Muddy Ground and Hi-Wave Blade will hopefully take a chunk off her (and you have Hank at a reasonable level with Good Grapple which negates her innate evasion from flying), but she's faster than you, so the Smoke Generator doesn't work (you can't reapply it to keep the evasion buff at all times, so you will lose in move economy) and she hits harder than you do. She's also very accurate and will constantly crit, which can do more than half your HP with the tail blade. Enjoy!

Conversely, your next-strongest move after Hi-Wave Blade (Fang) will only hit for 17 (about 10% of her health) unless you critical, so it's really a matter of rolling the dice until all your Blades hit. Some of the Challenging Mode stages can be brutal, but there's a couple like this one that are just 100% down to rolling the dice on landing inaccurate attacks on evasive opponents and they suck. Your reward for this is a Zoid Core SS, which is used for making small garbage Zoids and can be farmed in the main game from the moment you leave the first town.

2-2 is a bit more interesting: two Republican Double-Sworders versus two Imperial Saicurtis. You have the same loadout as last time, but Off-Grd Mines will make your units wait as well, which might be useful if you run out of EN. Otherwise, it's mostly a matter of spamming 2Beam Cannon and hoping you don't get an unlucky freeze from their melee attacks. You get two Zoid Core FL parts from this, which will be useful very shortly.

2-3 is a bit heavy: two Pteras Bombers and a RaDOME versus three Stealth Vipers. The main catch here is that the Stealth Vipers have complete garbage for attacks (their strongest attack is a 1~1S for 40), but their attacks aren't likely to miss, either, at least against the Bombers. You really have two options: you can use their Heavy Machine Guns to pick apart the Bombers one at a time, or the Small Laser Machine Gun to deal less damage to both of them at once.

You have a greater assortment of commands on this map, including Mines, which turns off melee attacks for that turn. This seems weird, but the standard "Go 4 Broke" melee the Pterases have is actually very strong, so it can be useful. Even if you do do that, if they all pick on one of your Stealth Vipers it's dead, so there's a strong element of luck here. Oh, and the Pteras RaDOME has more than 200 HP.

For this, you get Bomber U and RaDOME U parts, which are used to upgrade a Pteras into the appropriate type.

This map is pretty much a breather - three Killer Domes and a Brachio against your three Pteras Bombers is easy, and on top of that, you get access to some really killer commands: False Nego turns off all Zoids except the one you choose; Water Mines disables the entire enemy team, and Beam Screen halves incoming beam weapon damage, which will neuter the Killer Domes for a turn. You also have real pilots, this time: Bit, Hank, and Juno. Juno has Multishot 2, which means Conservation might be useful to restore her EP after she uses it all firing missiles everywhere.

Also Brachios are hilarious; they have an in-built piece of kit called a Solar Panel that will give them 100 EP when used, except they're so small and bad that you can't actually mount any of the weapons on them that would make that useful.

You get two Zoid Core SSes and a Zoid Core ZN for this one. Both are easily farmable, but the ZN is slightly more useful since it's used to make Zenebas Zoids.

This one is interesting: there's two Guysacks and a Hammer Rock, and you have two Hellcats. You also have access to the usual allotment of commands, but this time you also get No Return, which doubles the attack power and halves the evasion of all allied Zoids for one turn. Generally speaking opening with optical camoflage is safe, but if you like you can No Return and try to one-round the Guysacks, but it's hard if they also use their smoke generators.

For this, you get two deck commands - Junk Parts and the ever-so-useful Muddy Ground - and a Zoid Core SS and IS.

The Cannon Tortoise is a Republican Zoid used as relatively-mobile artillery, acting as long-range fire support. There's not a lot to say about it; even in Battle Story it doesn't have much of an impact. It has a few upgraded forms that mount progressively bigger guns, though. Oh, and one shows up in the background of an episode of Guardian Force where its cannon has been replaced with a telescope and it's being used as an observatory!

The Double Sworder is part of the 1983 OJR release and doesn't have much in the way of Battle Story relevance, although Reese memorably uses a gigantic version in Guardian Force, typically enhanced by Specular, her Organoid. She also gets followed around by Double Sworders that are approximately the size and detail of the actual model, used as mediums for her mind control powers.

The Pteras is the Republican answer to the Empire's Redler, based on a miniaturized Salamander. Unlike the Redler, which is a traditional fixed-wing aircraft, the Pteras uses "Magnesser Wing" technology, like a Minovsky Craft. Its speed and mobility are lacking in comparison, but it's very easy to pick up and use, and rather than being a close-combat craft, the Pteras is more meant as a missile-boat, able to mount missiles in several locations on its body; it also has a small anti-aircraft gun mounted on the mouth. In Battle Story, it shows up in the ZAC 2030s, replacing the Glidoler and Pegasuros, although it was usually used as ground support due to lacking the anti-air capabilities of the Raynos until the meteor strike in ZAC 2056 destroyed most of the Raynos units, leaving the Pteras as the Republic's mainstay aerial Zoid until ZAC 2100.

The Hammer Rock is a very early Zenebas Zoid, notable in Battle Story only because it served as a starting point for the larger and far stronger Iron Kong. The Hammer Rock stands only 6.7 meters tall, but it does have anti-aircraft missiles and two beam vulcan gunpods. There's a super-cool variation known as Tobizaru which appears in Zoids: Generations, too.

The Hellcat (also known as the Helcat or, in this game, the Atak Kat, also used in the NC/Z comic) arrived in ZAC 2034 and quickly earned the nickname "Jungle Assassin"; although lightly armed and armored, its ability to turn invisible, coupled with advanced sensors, heat sinks, and sound-muffling technology applied to the legs that let it run silently, let it take down Zoids more-heavily armed and armored, like the Command Wolf and other Republic Zoids. Notably, many Hellcat units survived the ZAC 2056 meteor strike and were used against the Republic again during the Western Continent war, working in packs to take down massive Republican Zoids like the Gordos. Eventually, the Hellcat was retired as the Republic introduced new Zoids with advanced sensor suites like the Shadow Fox; the stealth technology was used on the Saber Tiger, while the Hellcat itself was used as a basis for the Lightning Saix in ZAC 2100.
Oh, and in New Century/ZERO, the Backdraft Team use Hellcats mounted with the CP-02 and CP-03 parts usually found on Zaber Fangs even though the model kits were not compatible (the CP-02 and CP-03 are too big normally; the ones in the anime are scaled to the Hellcat), which is cool.

I mostly included this because the database entry is hilarious. That being said, its Battle Story life is pretty interesting: it's a super-early small-scale Zenebas Zoid, one of the earliest, hailing from the ZAC 1980 period, and rather than designed for straight-up combat, it essentially fulfilled the role of a modern AWACS plane, with the fin operating as a sort of RaDOME. The Gator was retired in ZAC 2039, but returned when its replacement was mostly lost following the ZAC 2056 meteor strike. Oh, and the entire head can come off and fly around as an independant recon unit.

The Saicurits is the Zenebas version of the Double-Swoder, continuing proof that what the Republic can do, the Empire can do better. While largely filler with little to no Battle Story relevance, it does have an interesting feature: the cockpit is not enclosed; instead, the raised 'cockpit' section is actually just a glass windshield that shelters the pilot.

Main character of the Zero Series. He travels around as a junk dealer. Becomes a Blitz Team member when encountering Liger Zero in Zoids battles.

A Zoids-riding girl the main character meets after the time-space fusion. She has no memory of her past. Terra Geist, a secret organization, is after her. A genius Zoids rider.

Official of Terra Geist, a group that plots to revive Zenebas Empire. Once fought against Zan, he's been missing. He teams up with Back Draft Team after the time-space fusion incidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I respect what they were trying to do with the portraits, but man are they ever out of their bit depth.

• Locked thread