Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Bobby Digital posted:

Check out Myth 9.

well poo poo, I got distracted by the pretty heat maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

TheBigAristotle posted:

Genuine question as I never played organized with any type of coach:

What is the key to set piece defending? Is it really tactical or is it personnel? How can someone who has reached essentially the pinnacle of their profession be so inept at one aspect of the game?

It seems like it's a blindspot for a handful of otherwise seemingly competent managers

I think a big part of this might also come from the limited amount of training time a lot of these clubs get once the season is in full gear. I imagine it already takes lots of time trying to get a disparate cast of players to attack with consistency and fluidity. There might not be enough hours in the day to deal solely with set pieces if your defense is not porous and your side is otherwise on the front foot in almost all your matches.

Plus, I'd like to see how many of the set piece follies go away when the first choice defenders are around. That at least seems to be a factor for Liverpool. I'm not sure if it really affects City, Man-U, Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea as badly.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

Ty, fat gay nonce.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Was it steve bruce who didn't coach set pieces at all and his teams conceded masses of them?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Brony Car posted:

I think a big part of this might also come from the limited amount of training time a lot of these clubs get once the season is in full gear. I imagine it already takes lots of time trying to get a disparate cast of players to attack with consistency and fluidity. There might not be enough hours in the day to deal solely with set pieces if your defense is not porous and your side is otherwise on the front foot in almost all your matches.

Plus, I'd like to see how many of the set piece follies go away when the first choice defenders are around. That at least seems to be a factor for Liverpool. I'm not sure if it really affects City, Man-U, Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea as badly.

Per Who Scored, goals conceded by the top 6 from set pieces (not pens)
Arsenal -4
Liverpool -5
Spurs -5
City -6
Chelsea -7
United -8

I can tell you from a Spurs perspective, at least 3 of those goals were conceded with defenders I'd consider a pair of first choice around (Toby, Jan, Sanchez). If I had to guess, it really is a fine margins thing, but also there are just generally better players back there to defend.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I wonder if the generally accepted zonal approach is why it feels like fewer goals get scored from corners and why more seem to fail to clear the first defender?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Bundy posted:

I wonder if the generally accepted zonal approach is why it feels like fewer goals get scored from corners and why more seem to fail to clear the first defender?

I think it's that, and the resulting rise in short corners to get players to move out of their assigned zones, so that occasionally you get goals that came from the play out of the set piece, instead of directly from the set piece itself.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I often remark on how stupid it is that teams can't even clear the first defender at a corner. But perhaps it's a factor of them trying more frequently to do the flick-on (4.8% chance of goal vs. 2.0% for regular corners). When you fail to nail the flick-on it's much more noticeable than when you just swing it in and it gets cleared.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

sassassin posted:

When they fail man marking systems fall apart way worse than zonal ones. Saw a Norwich game the other day where a player got the run on his man and so had a free header in ten yards of space on the penalty spot.

Every defender did their job of following men and so cleared the box for him.

But the pundits never blamed the system for that. It was simply a good goal.

When zonal marking fails, pundits blame the system while when it's man marking, they tend to blame the player.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

gtkor posted:

Arsenal -4
Liverpool -5
Spurs -5
City -6
Chelsea -7
United -8

I can tell you from a Spurs perspective, at least 3 of those goals were conceded with defenders I'd consider a pair of first choice around (Toby, Jan, Sanchez). If I had to guess, it really is a fine margins thing, but also there are just generally better players back there to defend.

Considering the height in United's squad, they really shouldn't be this bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

After actual years of not scoring from corners we're fairly good at it under rafa

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vegetable posted:

I often remark on how stupid it is that teams can't even clear the first defender at a corner. But perhaps it's a factor of them trying more frequently to do the flick-on (4.8% chance of goal vs. 2.0% for regular corners). When you fail to nail the flick-on it's much more noticeable than when you just swing it in and it gets cleared.

The most effective type of delivery is flat, moving fast and just over head height for the whole width of the goal. These create multiple danger zones for attackers to score from. It's hard to get this exactly right so any slightly underhit cross will get cut out but the first man who is by-design standing in the ideal zone to do just that.

Any idiot can "beat the first man" with a cross, lofting it high into the mixer. But these crosses are much easier for defenders to deal with, especially by the goalkeeper. Single danger zone, less lateral pace on the ball.

Been seeing a lot of high crosses beyond the back post this season, and not just because it was a clear weakness in Swansea's zonal system (West Brom players talked about it after they beat us). A header back across goal into a disrupted penalty area creates chances. And if your player is really good they might loop one in direct.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/samjon_es/status/1093636479086194688
:hmmyes:

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

gtkor posted:

Arsenal -4
Liverpool -5
Spurs -5
City -6
Chelsea -7
United -8

One thing to note is that teams aren't defending the same amount of set pieces or corners. Couldn't find stats for overall set pieces conceded per game, but for corners:
Man City 2.46 per game (64 total)
Liverpool 3.32 (83)
Chelsea 3.84 (96)
United 4.64 (116)
Spurs 4.88 (122)
Arsenal 5.04 (126)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gone already

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Apolis posted:

Spurs 4.88 (122)

So close.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Listening to football weekly I was just reminded that Kloppo the Clown loaded off Clyne lol

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

So close.

Lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The body that was recovered is salas

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jose posted:

Wow, most strikers don’t like getting stuck in

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I guess Cardiff can claim back now :shrug:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Jose posted:

rip

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Looke posted:

I guess Cardiff can claim back now :shrug:

Who cares?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sassassin posted:

The most effective type of delivery is flat, moving fast and just over head height for the whole width of the goal. These create multiple danger zones for attackers to score from. It's hard to get this exactly right so any slightly underhit cross will get cut out but the first man who is by-design standing in the ideal zone to do just that.

Any idiot can "beat the first man" with a cross, lofting it high into the mixer. But these crosses are much easier for defenders to deal with, especially by the goalkeeper. Single danger zone, less lateral pace on the ball.

Been seeing a lot of high crosses beyond the back post this season, and not just because it was a clear weakness in Swansea's zonal system (West Brom players talked about it after they beat us). A header back across goal into a disrupted penalty area creates chances. And if your player is really good they might loop one in direct.
the most effective corner is clipping it out to scholesy on the edge of the box

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Apolis posted:

One thing to note is that teams aren't defending the same amount of set pieces or corners. Couldn't find stats for overall set pieces conceded per game, but for corners:
Man City 2.46 per game (64 total)
Liverpool 3.32 (83)
Chelsea 3.84 (96)
United 4.64 (116)
Spurs 4.88 (122)
Arsenal 5.04 (126)

This makes sense too, but does make City's number a bit strange. I'd guess the way Fernandinho tactically fouls everyone the moment they start an attack, they probably don't concede a ton of set pieces in dangerous areas anyway.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ashley just sold this for £120m

https://twitter.com/bigchrisholt/status/1093887810111717376

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

gtkor posted:

This makes sense too, but does make City's number a bit strange. I'd guess the way Fernandinho tactically fouls everyone the moment they start an attack, they probably don't concede a ton of set pieces in dangerous areas anyway.

Fernandinhowns

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
https://mobile.twitter.com/WhoScored/status/1093207697867059202?s=19

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Well yeah, if you force him to play further forward, he is going to win the ball up there instead of where it would make more sense for him to.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

gtkor posted:

Well yeah, if you force him to play further forward, he is going to win the ball up there instead of where it would make more sense for him to.

What amazes me is how he manages to win the tackles against much larger opponents. Dude is a little powerhouse.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
The ball stays the same size. Sometimes it’s easier to pick the pocket of a hulk than an elf.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Legitimately the best player of the current era

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Byolante posted:

Legitimately the best player of the current era

on a related note, phil jones has signed a new long-term contract

juve will have to make do with chiellini and bonucci for a few more years yet

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What amazes me is how he manages to win the tackles against much larger opponents. Dude is a little powerhouse.

It’s like being tackled by a ferret.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rodgers is the preferred candidate to be newcastle manager if Benitez walks at the end of the season

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

Rodgers is the preferred candidate to be newcastle manager if Benitez walks at the end of the season

fans expecting success from a mid table team, an owner siphoning funds from the club, sacking rafa and getting rodgers.

Have you decided which racist cannibal you are going to sign?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
brodgers at newcastle is the perfect fit

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Byolante posted:

fans expecting success from a mid table team, an owner siphoning funds from the club, sacking rafa and getting rodgers.

Have you decided which racist cannibal you are going to sign?

You missed the Hodgson link that would make the Liverpool comparison apt.

I wonder if Hodgson could do a job at Newcastle. He certainly wouldn't give Ashley any grief.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jose posted:

I mean, it could be worse I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

david wagner was the other manager linked