Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

JWE doesn't really get any better unless they've patched it a lot since back when I was playing. Did they ever fix dinos ending up in corners and freaking out that their needs aren't being met because hab suitability is based off of line of sight or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?

Hub Cat posted:

JWE doesn't really get any better unless they've patched it a lot since back when I was playing. Did they ever fix dinos ending up in corners and freaking out that their needs aren't being met because hab suitability is based off of line of sight or something?

As best I could tell they fixed this, but there's still a lot of frustrations.

I wouldn't recommend JWE to anyone unless they really really really like dinosaurs. It's finicky in a way that's not fun and forces you to micromanage a lot of stuff. It would make the game 'too easy' if you didn't have to deal with the micromanagement as there's almost nothing else to do, but IMO the game is extremely easy, just forces you to click around a lot to keep everything going.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'd also recommend JWE if you really really like jeff goldblum

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Khorne posted:

I finally got around to playing anno 2205 and it's not that bad. Not as bad as people say at least. There is a lot of false depth in Anno games and it cut a decent amount of it out. Some things are really bad, notably the time to go between regions and that you can't do anything else during the RTS ship minigame. Anno 1800 handles that all much better with instant region switches and the ability to still manage your cities while fighting pirates and wars. If they went back and retroactively patched in better region switching it'd be alright. Wish they spent more time making the ship battle RTS minigame actually good/fun, because as implemented you just kinda spam shields and use powerups now and then. And there's not really much micro at all. Anno 1800 does that better too.

It's also kind of annoying that every quest is "right click on this thing, right click on a location, wait" and you can shift queue but it won't properly queue the quest actions. This is made worse with region switches taking an eternity, even on an NVME drive because it's likely CPU bound and not IO bound. It's effectively Anno 2205: alt tab a lot.

Anno 2205 is not a bad game by any metric whatsoever. It honestly got a lot of its bad press because they changed the Anno formula so drastically. Not in a bad way at all, it was just different and took out a lot of the obfuscation.

Personally I think its biggest sins were:
1) absolute dearth of cosmetic items which, when mixed with how same-y the buildings look (only 2-3 models for each tier of house) ends up with a very beautiful yet painfully bland world. Imagine a field of skyscrapers all the exact same height.
2) you never expand any of your non-temperate zones for actual settlement. I understand not having permanent non-workforce settlements in the arctic zones but come on game. We go to the moon, let me actually colonize it properly!
3) as you mentioned the time it takes to pop between sectors which only gets worse the longer you play due to memory leaks. Seriously, reset the game now and then and you zoom between the zones. After a few hours it becomes a crawl. Considering you potentially can end up owning 13 zones (6 temperate, 3 arctic, 3 lunar, 1 tundra) + the space station mini-zone + the combat zone the slow zone transition can be murder. Part of the reason that Anno 1800 zips between zones so fast it there's only 3 zones (Old World, New World, Cape Trelawny) and soon to be 4 (arctic) to zip between.
4) the way they both separate combat AND shoehorn it in.

It however was obviously an experiment and learning experience for the studio and I feel what they took away was pretty good considering that their next game took a lot of the best things from 2205 and mix it with some of their older stuff to make 1800 which is amazing in so many ways (providing you can deal with the massive shift that you undergo when you unlock Engineers).

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Alkydere posted:

It however was obviously an experiment and learning experience for the studio and I feel what they took away was pretty good considering that their next game took a lot of the best things from 2205 and mix it with some of their older stuff to make 1800 which is amazing in so many ways (providing you can deal with the massive shift that you undergo when you unlock Engineers).
1800 is the best anno game ever made by miles.

I'm liking 2205 outside of the region switches. It feels like alt tabbing for 20+ seconds to do something else is part of the gameplay loop, though, and I never felt that way in 1404/2070/1800.

I'm going to build a lot of people on the moon and in the arctic whether you think I should or not. I love arctic regions and the moon is the only reason I even bought the game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

2205 is weirdly enough the best beginner's Anno, as it was the one where I finally clicked as to what I was supposed to be doing, and thus is paved the way for me to enjoy the other games.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Khorne posted:

1800 is the best anno game ever made by miles.

I'm liking 2205 outside of the region switches. It feels like alt tabbing for 20+ seconds to do something else is part of the gameplay loop, though, and I never felt that way in 1404/2070/1800.

I'm going to build a lot of people on the moon and in the arctic whether you think I should or not. I love arctic regions and the moon is the only reason I even bought the game.

Good luck on building a lot of people on the moon. That poo poo gets expensive. Expensive enough that it really feels like you want to try to stay only within about 10% of the workforce you need. Arctic needs a fuckton of people just to provide all the implants and quantum computers you'll need so you'll be building plenty there, but buliding in the arctic is a fun little puzzle with heat.

One of the coolest things about 2205 is the alternate production chains you can set up with research, or just by using the exports of the tundra zone to double outputs of factories for no additional inputs (just maintenance/worker costs).

And yeah, 1800 is basically the best pieces of 1404, 2070 and 2205 mashed together. And I'm so loving glad they finally went back to their roots of giving you ALL of the decorative items again. ALL of them.

StrixNebulosa posted:

2205 is weirdly enough the best beginner's Anno, as it was the one where I finally clicked as to what I was supposed to be doing, and thus is paved the way for me to enjoy the other games.

Oh yeah, the super streamlined production information was great. Don't listen to the community, that feedback was great. I'm glad they kept it at least in part for 1800 where you can at least how long a building does a production cycle so you can at least figure out the ratio needed for your chains.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Alkydere posted:

Oh yeah, the super streamlined production information was great. Don't listen to the community, that feedback was great. I'm glad they kept it at least in part for 1800 where you can at least how long a building does a production cycle so you can at least figure out the ratio needed for your chains.
Trade route ratios and consumption/production aren't that clear in 1800. It feels like you need to just fill up an island's storage and then have it dump any leftover at the next place. I actually really like 2205's "+x/-x" in sector view and trade mechanics. I suppose I also really like 1800's protecting shipping routes from pirates/people who declared war on you as well as trade routes there.

I hope whatever the next anno game is they flesh out the hotkey and ui options more. Unless I'm missing something, you can't explicitly hotkey anything in 2205. In 1800 you can hotkey more things than any other Anno title I've played, but it's still missing hotkeys for key functions. The way screen hotkeys (f5/f6/etc) are per-region with no region hotkeys is pretty awkward as well.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 26, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Are there any of these take place in space and are good??

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Khorne posted:

Are there any of these take place in space and are good??

For some definitions of ‘space’ yes. Surviving Mars is pretty good (and happens on Mars).

Oxygen Not Included is sort of but not quite a city builder and you’re running colonists that are surviving on an asteroid. It’s very very good.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Captain Monkey posted:

Oxygen Not Included is sort of but not quite a city builder and you’re running colonists that are surviving on an asteroid. It’s very very good.
I could never get into oxygen. I seem to have a problem with games that are in that particular 2d perspective and aren't platformers. I played an okay amount of Rimworld because top down seems to work better for me.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 27, 2019

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Captain Monkey posted:

For some definitions of ‘space’ yes. Surviving Mars is pretty good (and happens on Mars).

I get stressed out trying to survive because there's just too much poo poo to keep track of and it freaks me out.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I want to get into ONI but I usually never spawn near enough to wheezeworts to be able to chill my base, and eventually everything just overheats.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Always Be Digging. Can't overheat if there's more space for the heat to spread more thinly! *taps head*

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sage Grimm posted:

Always Be Digging. Can't overheat if there's more space for the heat to spread more thinly! *taps head*

Oops everyone asphyxiated, welp :shrug:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Volmarias posted:

I want to get into ONI but I usually never spawn near enough to wheezeworts to be able to chill my base, and eventually everything just overheats.

Ask in the ONI thread for help. Tell Mazz (who does a lot of helping) that you are just starting and he'll have your base cooled off in no time!!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Or play a Rime asteroid, and have your head go squirrelly because now you have to focus on heating things.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mayveena posted:

Ask in the ONI thread for help. Tell Mazz (who does a lot of helping) that you are just starting and he'll have your base cooled off in no time!!

I've played it plenty, I just usually get into some sort of failure spiral because I've run out of a resource and my pawns won't fetch new ones quickly, or they're too busy in their own tantrum spirals, etc. Or, I do fine but then the alpha doesn't have anything else to do and then I get bored. Cooling (or lack thereof) is just my biggest complaint lately, as heat trends towards the medium throughout the asteroid and there's way more steam geysers than ways to chill.

It's a fun game and I recommend it but I've kind of burned out with it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I have also argued that it isn’t really a city builder by my completely arbitrary definition. You never really get to truly stable states without really leaning into somewhat gamey mechanics, and a lot of the systems, while fun to design, are more puzzley. It never quite scratches the ant farm itch for me where Rimworld does. (I compare them since they’re a similar “scale” in population).

It’s not a bad game on its own merits and I’ve put a bunch of time into it, but I would never recommend it alongside most of these other games unless I knew the person enjoyed the more system building aspect for heat and water and gas.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yes to me ONI is a base builder.

Now that I've started these two threads on City Building and Base Building, I now realize that we could have all been better served by one thread called Management gaming, but I didn't think of that at the time :(. Oh well maybe if something comes along that looks like it could start a new Management style thread I'll make one.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm just upset that your first post doesn't include Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic :saddowns:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Volmarias posted:

I'm just upset that your first post doesn't include Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic :saddowns:

Just added. Never been able to really get into it for some reason though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The UI makes all the difference in that game. You're fighting it the entire way through that drains any sort of motivation to make something cool out of it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Lethis: Path of Progress is a game I want to highlight! It's been on my wishlist for a while, and with the start of the recent sale has dropped down to a whole $2, so I picked it up.

It's an updated version of the old Impressions city builders (Pharaoh, Zeus, etc), set in a vaguely Industrial Revolution setting!

I'm also pretty sure there's a Switch version now too.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Workers and Resources is an amazing idea with fresh and cool poo poo completely hampered by the UI and other QOL problems.

I still love it and all it’s weird Soviet music.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s the terrain stuff that kills it for me. Laying down just a short road can be beyond frustrating.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I could never get Lethis to work on my PC past the start menu, and after trying all the work arounds/fixes listed by the dev- got a refund on that bad boy. It's too bad because I liked the aesthetic of it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It’s the terrain stuff that kills it for me. Laying down just a short road can be beyond frustrating.

I think it's been improved recently, bought it a few days ago on sale and it's much better than it was before.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

For anyone curious, Sim City 3000 is for sale for $2.50 on GOG and Sim City 4 (with Rush Hour) is for sale for $5.00 on Steam. Can't decide if I want to get one (or both). Anyone know of good mod bundles for 3000?

e: I meant to post this in the Sim City thread but I guess this is useful for y'all as well!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

For anyone curious, Sim City 3000 is for sale for $2.50 on GOG and Sim City 4 (with Rush Hour) is for sale for $5.00 on Steam. Can't decide if I want to get one (or both). Anyone know of good mod bundles for 3000?

e: I meant to post this in the Sim City thread but I guess this is useful for y'all as well!

Is sim city 4 patched to not crash all the time? Or do you still have to manually set it to single core affinity

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I have been playing Kingdom: New Lands and while I love it, it really makes me wish there was a more complex game with the same level of atmosphere and sense of progression that that game has. Kingdom absolutely nails the sense of danger and dread outside your towns walls and at night, while the music and art style make exploring and building during the day really fun. In particular I found the changing seasons and dynamics of the environment outside your town really great.

However, its 2D playing field and roguelike nature kind of limits it’s complexity and scope, which is not a bad thing in and of itself, but it really makes me wish there was something like Stronghold (my other favourite game in this genre) with the same atmosphere as Kingdom.

I’ve tried “they are billions” and while it definitely scratched this itch the first few hours, after successfully beating the first map I kind of felt like I had experienced everything the game had to offer, and I was no longer afraid of zombies at all. Also I think that game’s aesthetic is grating after a few hours.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions? It seems like the next closest thing is Banished, which I’ve also played (and kind of bounced off of due to its sterile art style).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

You could try Dawn of Man

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mayveena posted:

You could try Dawn of Man

How is Dawn of Man?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Captain Monkey posted:

How is Dawn of Man?

a little bit like Banished in that it's clearly well put together and well thought out but after you beat it once you get the distinct feeling you've seen everything and you have to ask yourself if there's anything else to do (and the answer's generally no).

the difference being Dawn of Man does require a fair bit of micromanagement so it doesn't have the chill vibe of Banished.

it's not a bad game, i just wouldn't count on it holding your interest for that long.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Captain Monkey posted:

How is Dawn of Man?

Pretty good! Lots of satisfaction in climbing the tech tree and you go from futzing around with raw hides and rough stones to metal tools and farming and stone buildings.

e; But Coolguye's comment is fair, it's not the most replayable game in the world. But the time spent with it is imo very enjoyable.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 20, 2019

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Dawn of Man will always be one of the best low level style city builders ever, just due to them letting children help out by carrying things, as opposed to every other game where any kids are 200% useless as all they do til adulthood is suck up food.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
dawn of man is pretty good, but i don't know how linked it is to kingdom

dawn of man is closer to banished, in that you are trying to scratch a subsistence existence out of the lush environment around you. dawn of man is much more forgiving than banished, and starvation is not nearly as dangerous. the landscape is thick with wild animals (some of which are legit threats to your people), and for the first third of the game you are necessarily hunting the poo poo out of them not just for meat, but also for bone and skin as your basic crafting/building inputs. eventually you tech up and transition from the mesolithic to the iron age, and new threats appear in the form of human raiders, though they are also not too tough unless you turn up the difficulty

in terms of village management complexity, the core loop is meaty enough to be entertaining without being overly complex or burdensome. probably the trickiest system to get a handle on is not creating a kajillion jobs for your villagers to handle, as well as managing the creation of tech points used to unlock new technologies. you'll have to do things like hunt 10 mammoths or whatever, which can be a problem if all the mammoths are hanging out on the other side of the map, and as you progress through tech eras some animals go extinct before you can extract all the possible tech points from them

inhabiting the environment and adapting to the seasons is probably the biggest strength of the game. in your early hunter-gatherer times, different food sources are available in different seasons, so harvesting fruit in the summer and nuts in the winter becomes an important consideration. later as you develop agriculture you try to maximize your food production based on seasonal factors while also considering how much spare labor you have for other projects after you've ensured a sufficient harvest. when the first day of winter comes and all your remaining crops die, and all the grain/straw is collected from the fields, it comes time to hunt or do building projects until planting begins in the spring

it's a worthwhile purchase, and the post release expansion and support seems pretty good. the dev team is small but active and they've produced two major updates which add new content, the most significant of which is burials and funerary ritual

one VERY nice quality of life feature is that you can deconstruct any of your buildings if you don't like your past placement of them. it takes time but iirc doesn't cost resources

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

luxury handset posted:

dawn of man is pretty good, but i don't know how linked it is to kingdom

dawn of man is closer to banished, in that you are trying to scratch a subsistence existence out of the lush environment around you. dawn of man is much more forgiving than banished, and starvation is not nearly as dangerous. the landscape is thick with wild animals (some of which are legit threats to your people), and for the first third of the game you are necessarily hunting the poo poo out of them not just for meat, but also for bone and skin as your basic crafting/building inputs. eventually you tech up and transition from the mesolithic to the iron age, and new threats appear in the form of human raiders, though they are also not too tough unless you turn up the difficulty

in terms of village management complexity, the core loop is meaty enough to be entertaining without being overly complex or burdensome. probably the trickiest system to get a handle on is not creating a kajillion jobs for your villagers to handle, as well as managing the creation of tech points used to unlock new technologies. you'll have to do things like hunt 10 mammoths or whatever, which can be a problem if all the mammoths are hanging out on the other side of the map, and as you progress through tech eras some animals go extinct before you can extract all the possible tech points from them

inhabiting the environment and adapting to the seasons is probably the biggest strength of the game. in your early hunter-gatherer times, different food sources are available in different seasons, so harvesting fruit in the summer and nuts in the winter becomes an important consideration. later as you develop agriculture you try to maximize your food production based on seasonal factors while also considering how much spare labor you have for other projects after you've ensured a sufficient harvest. when the first day of winter comes and all your remaining crops die, and all the grain/straw is collected from the fields, it comes time to hunt or do building projects until planting begins in the spring

it's a worthwhile purchase, and the post release expansion and support seems pretty good. the dev team is small but active and they've produced two major updates which add new content, the most significant of which is burials and funerary ritual

one VERY nice quality of life feature is that you can deconstruct any of your buildings if you don't like your past placement of them. it takes time but iirc doesn't cost resources

This is very useful, thanks for posting it. And to be fair to the person who suggested it, I did ask from something a bit more complex than Kingdom, which certainly appears to be the case for Dawn of Man.

I'll check out Dawn of Man, thanks everyone for the suggestion. Looking at videos it does appear to have the same lifeless art of Banished, but I'm probably being too picky.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I know it's not a traditional city builder, but for a village builder (in space) I'm having a fun chill time with multiplayer astroneer. I know it's not a traditional gods-eye-view game but there is something really satisfying about building up a home on an alien planet. I spend more time just making all the platforms look pretty and spinning soil to create more platforms than exploring. Just my two cents!

It's also on sale for the lowest I've ever seen it at sub $20 USD! I'm having a ton of fun with my gf, who loves driving the tractor around and collecting science and falling in holes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

I'm looking for a game where I can mess around with trains and build up an industrial town. What's good?

I played anno 1404 and liked it a lot, but for some reason ubisoft won't process my payment so 1800 is out til it gets put on steam. I'm eyeing up Railway Empire now, no idea if I'm gonna pull the trigger on that yet though.