Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Spylde posted:

A teaser for Foundation TV series just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgbPSA94Rqg

Seems like just the way I imagined it would be after TV adaptation. Lot's of explosions and people running away from stuff (including monsters?).

i loving knew it. guy mentions Star Wars as the very first thing. they bought the Foundation license to make budget star wars :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It certainly looks neat, and I'll give almost anyone with Jared Harris in it a try. Something I've seen pointed out is that none of the characters have any defining traits other than what they do, and that's going to cause a lot of weird angry nerds to get salty that "Harry Selton would never do that!".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'm going to be pissed if i don't see some heliconian twisting

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I dunno, I can see the original story in the fringes of the trailer, and hell, trailers often lie. It could be pulling a Bridge to Teribithia, and most or all of the action in the show is what we seen in 2 minutes of trailer. I suspect it will be otherwise, though. :sigh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i cant wait to see someone get disintegrated by an atomic blaster

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, it's like, his name is on the front cover. You can't be too disappointed when you end up with a story that reads like he wrote it.

Prelude and Forward just suck, though.

I disagree: Prelude sucks but Forward's pretty great.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Spylde posted:

A teaser for Foundation TV series just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgbPSA94Rqg

Seems like just the way I imagined it would be after TV adaptation. Lot's of explosions and people running away from stuff (including monsters?).

David Goyer says at the start of this video that Apple is basically Foundation realized which is, man...there is little you could have said to turn me away from this project harder.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's David Goyer honestly I'm not sure he's a person as we would conventionally conceive of one. He's like this golem of industry buzzwords. I admire his hustle and carving out a rarefied niche as a powerful writer/producer of Geek crap for about 25 years, but being real I don't think I've ever liked a single project he's written beyond "that was passable."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

mind the walrus posted:

It's David Goyer honestly I'm not sure he's a person as we would conventionally conceive of one. He's like this golem of industry buzzwords. I admire his hustle and carving out a rarefied niche as a powerful writer/producer of Geek crap for about 25 years, but being real I don't think I've ever liked a single project he's written beyond "that was passable."

I enjoyed Dark City and Batman Begins. The Dark Knight is legit great. He's had a lot of misses, though.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Rutibex posted:

i cant wait to see someone get disintegrated by an atomic blaster

That's great and all but it points both ways

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

jng2058 posted:

I enjoyed Dark City and Batman Begins. The Dark Knight is legit great. He's had a lot of misses, though.

I honestly never thought any of them were that well written, just well-made. Again I'd describe him as someone whose highest ceiling is "passable."

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I recently read "The Feeling of Power" and it's a great testament to Asimov's aptitude for storytelling. It's only ten pages and it packs in a tight narrative, big ideas, and emotion.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
one of asimovs rare short stories in the Warhammer 40k universe

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tnuctip posted:

As a giant dork it always irked me that the FTL mechanics were never hinted at in the foundation series.

Actually, it doesn't totally work like BSG. Because when you hyperjump you die.

But it's only for a moment. One of his short stories that used Powell and Donovan (I love every short with those two in it) had them testing the first hyperdrive. But designing it bricked one of the big brain computers because of the first law, so everyone was real confused with US Robotic's Brain was able to do it. Good story, can't remember it's name though.

Also the End of Eternity is pretty good, and explains in no uncertain terms that there's no aliens in the galaxy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CainFortea posted:

Actually, it doesn't totally work like BSG. Because when you hyperjump you die.

But it's only for a moment. One of his short stories that used Powell and Donovan (I love every short with those two in it) had them testing the first hyperdrive. But designing it bricked one of the big brain computers because of the first law, so everyone was real confused with US Robotic's Brain was able to do it. Good story, can't remember it's name though.

Also the End of Eternity is pretty good, and explains in no uncertain terms that there's no aliens in the galaxy.

but what if you die every time you hyper jump in BSG? :v:

if you want to be super nerd the real answer is hyper jumps are different between the two in their reaction to gravity wells. the hyperdrives from Foundation could not do a jump near a planet or a star, the gravity interferes with it. so the majority of space travel time is actually spent slowboating to the edge of the solar system to make your jump. this would be impossible with a Foundation hyperdrive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AjXgY35iZg&t=98s

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

One of the foundation books has someone jumping out of a gravity well way too early and it knocks everyone out.

Mainly I just wanted to mention Powell and Donovan because they're probably my favorite Asimov characters.

Edit: TIL that there are TWO movies made on the Nightfall story.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CainFortea posted:

One of the foundation books has someone jumping out of a gravity well way too early and it knocks everyone out.

Mainly I just wanted to mention Powell and Donovan because they're probably my favorite Asimov characters.

Edit: TIL that there are TWO movies made on the Nightfall story.

yeah its a shame Susan Calvin got to be in the I, Robot movie but Powell and Donovan got left behind :(

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

yeah its a shame Susan Calvin got to be in the I, Robot movie but Powell and Donovan got left behind :(

Yea but considering how they mucked it up it's probably a good thing.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
...Van Vogt was the 3rd big name in the golden age of science fiction? I know Voyage of the Space Beagle had a lasting influence. But a lot of his work is real bad.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
A niche in time saves Stein :newlol:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rutibex posted:

CainFortea posted:

Yea but considering how they mucked it up it's probably a good thing.

I, Robot is a perfectly okay sci-fi movie if you remember that it started out as a completely independent script called "Hardwired". Fairly late in the process they remembered they owned the rights to an Asimov collection, so they did a very quick rewrite which mostly consisted of shoehorning in some character names like Susan Calvin, some famous moments from the stories, and some lip service to the Three Laws. The overall plot and tone were pretty much untouched.

I don't have particularly high hopes for the upcoming Foundation series, but at least it's been Foundation from day one.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

I don't have particularly high hopes for the upcoming Foundation series, but at least it's been Foundation from day one.

I just wonder how far they will take the story. Foundation kind of peters out and the later books are really different than the earlier ones. I hope they stick to the original three books only

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

I, Robot is a perfectly okay sci-fi movie if you remember that it started out as a completely independent script called "Hardwired". Fairly late in the process they remembered they owned the rights to an Asimov collection, so they did a very quick rewrite which mostly consisted of shoehorning in some character names like Susan Calvin, some famous moments from the stories, and some lip service to the Three Laws. The overall plot and tone were pretty much untouched.

Personally, I don't find movies better when I remember to take out all the poor choices they made during it. Like if they wanted to just give a nod to the story with Nestor in it they could have just named it that and let the rest go.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

habituallyred posted:

...Van Vogt was the 3rd big name in the golden age of science fiction? I know Voyage of the Space Beagle had a lasting influence. But a lot of his work is real bad.

He tried to incorporate psychology and anthropology into his stories at a time when that was unusual, though it’s arguable how well it worked: in the story that supposedly influenced the movie Alien, they figure out the alien will try to reproduce by reasoning that it’s basically a peasant farmer who will want to have a child to carry on its name. Okay.

And didn’t he also write about women having to take drugs to make them less womany because otherwise they couldn’t work on a spaceship?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Action Jacktion posted:

And didn’t he also write about women having to take drugs to make them less womany because otherwise they couldn’t work on a spaceship?
So many dudes have played the "I can't handle my horny" card by saying women are unsuitable for this or that job. It's always obvious and it's always hilarious.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Powered Descent posted:

Yes, whatever else at least the underlying ground upon which it is built is Foundation.
There's no denying the overall basis on which the film is supported is the Foundation story.
It certainly was established and endowed with the purpose of being Foundation.

I dunno where I'm going with this, it seemed funnier before I wrote it out.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

Yes, whatever else at least the underlying ground upon which it is built is Foundation.
There's no denying the overall basis on which the film is supported is the Foundation story.

foundation!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

They changed the character who's most famous quote is "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" to be someone hauling around a gun. :( I don't think they're really building ON the foundation so much as near it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CainFortea posted:

They changed the character who's most famous quote is "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" to be someone hauling around a gun. :( I don't think they're really building ON the foundation so much as near it.

where do they show Salvor Hardin holding a gun? the trailer is pretty vague, the only person i could recognize was Hari Seldon

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

where do they show Salvor Hardin holding a gun? the trailer is pretty vague, the only person i could recognize was Hari Seldon

This bit:

Is preceded by this bit:

Which looks like this actress:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3238246/?ref_=tt_cl_t4

Who has her listed as playing "Salvor" no last name.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
thats clearly not Salvor Hardin, that is a lady

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CainFortea posted:

Adjacent to Foundation was really one of Asimov's lesser books.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

thats clearly not Salvor Hardin, that is a lady

Salvor's gender is like, the least important bit of his character. Also they already gender swapped 2 other characters so it's not like rules anything out.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CainFortea posted:

Salvor's gender is like, the least important bit of his character. Also they already gender swapped 2 other characters so it's not like rules anything out.
:shrug:
thats true, gender doesn't really matter to any of asimovs characters they are all just avatars of of some basic idea or concept. i'm not a fan of the blaster though

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rutibex posted:

:shrug:
thats true, gender doesn't really matter to any of asimovs characters they are all just avatars of of some basic idea or concept. i'm not a fan of the blaster though

And if they didn't do any gender-swapping, then the show would be a complete sausage-fest for, what, the first three hundred years? If I'm not mistaken, Bayta is the first female character of any consequence in the whole trilogy and she doesn't appear until halfway through. I think I can forgive a change here and there.

Agreed on the gun, though (assuming that's what it actually is).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I hope they gender swap the Mule. That would be kind of interesting to explore.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 24, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

And if they didn't do any gender-swapping, then the show would be a complete sausage-fest for, what, the first three hundred years? If I'm not mistaken, Bayta is the first female character of any consequence in the whole trilogy and she doesn't appear until halfway through. I think I can forgive a change here and there.

Agreed on the gun, though (assuming that's what it actually is).

Yea, I mean the only one of the swapped characters that even has a slight argument against swapping is Daneel, because of the whole "this robot is my husband" thing from the Baily series.

And that's pretty easily dodged by A) not referencing those stories and 2) he's a robot just changed body beep boop.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Rutibex posted:

I hope they gender swap the Mule. That would be kind of interesting to explore.

I'm afraid of them going for 'I Can't Have Babies So I Am A Monster' route a la avengers and black widow, now that you say it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Musluk posted:

I'm afraid of them going for 'I Can't Have Babies So I Am A Monster' route a la avengers and black widow, now that you say it.

It's pretty heavily implied that's a big part of the Mule's motivation anyway. His speech about "Quadrillions of them, and only ONE of me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Musluk posted:

If they gender-swap the Mule this is exactly how it will come across.