Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Zeniel posted:

It's currently 7:30 in the morning, I woke up at 11:30PM a having gone to bed at 5PM that evening having been up for close to 24 hours. My sleep is a colossal mess. I'm constantly sleep deprived, my sleep patterns start out okay, about 7ish hours morning to evening, then slowly tick forward till I'm waking up at 9pm and staying up all night. I'm a very light sleeper, so I've really vivid dreams always and the slightest noise will wake me up. I've been missing out of hanging with a couple of people I haven't seen in a while because of sleep. I can't work properly at the moment when this is supposed to be the busiest year of my life and I'm barely doing a few hours a day if even that, in part due to my awful sleep.

I can't sleep next to my partner well and in past relationships woujld constantly make excuses to avoid trying to sleep over because sleep is just not going to happen. I've no idea what's wrong, I've tried everything from sleep hygiene to some sleep aids. Exercise and meditation does nothing, melatonin also nothing, blue light blockers also does nothing, promethazine more just makes me wake drowsy rather than really making me sleepy. Not a big drinker and alcohol just makes me more awake anyway. And once I do sleep properly it's extremely hard to get up out of bed and I'm just tired. Or rarely it might go the opposite route and I'm sleeping for 24 hours straight.

Sometimes it all clicks together and I sleep very normally but it usually only lasts for a week or two at most and then just slowly disintegrates. Over the last few years, it actually seems to have gotten worse.

I feel like I've always been a bad sleeper but sometime in highschool was when it really started to go pear shaped. Where I suddenly either wanted to be asleep all the time and just dream or else couldn't sleep at night some nights. I'm sort of wondering if I've actually done something to do this to myself but can't think of anything specific.

I'm pretty worried that sleep is going to be a severe point of contention in my relationships and in any work I have to do for the rest of my life. It really does make you feel kind of like a kind of addict in a way, what with the lying, excuses, the endless cavalcade of home spun wisdom from people who constantly offer solutions that don't work and missing events because you're sleeping at all the wrong times. My gf has texted me to please wake up, probably sometime last evening and I've missed a zoom meeting with another friend for the second day in a row. I've got god knows how much work to do this week and I just can't imagine doing much else but sleep

That sucks dude. Have you ever tried Weed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
have i mentioned that i freakin love doing a weed or two before bed?

its nice. great actually.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Most of quarantine I've actually been able to follow a sleep schedule from Midnight-7:30am and its been great.

In my regular life I have a broke rear end sleep schedule where I go to sleep drunk at like 5am, wake up at 9am, go back to sleep at 2pm and wake up for work at 6pm. It's awful and I'm tired all the time.

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

Zeniel posted:

It's currently 7:30 in the morning, I woke up at 11:30PM a having gone to bed at 5PM that evening having been up for close to 24 hours. My sleep is a colossal mess. I'm constantly sleep deprived, my sleep patterns start out okay, about 7ish hours morning to evening, then slowly tick forward till I'm waking up at 9pm and staying up all night. I'm a very light sleeper, so I've really vivid dreams always and the slightest noise will wake me up. I've been missing out of hanging with a couple of people I haven't seen in a while because of sleep. I can't work properly at the moment when this is supposed to be the busiest year of my life and I'm barely doing a few hours a day if even that, in part due to my awful sleep.

I can't sleep next to my partner well and in past relationships woujld constantly make excuses to avoid trying to sleep over because sleep is just not going to happen. I've no idea what's wrong, I've tried everything from sleep hygiene to some sleep aids. Exercise and meditation does nothing, melatonin also nothing, blue light blockers also does nothing, promethazine more just makes me wake drowsy rather than really making me sleepy. Not a big drinker and alcohol just makes me more awake anyway. And once I do sleep properly it's extremely hard to get up out of bed and I'm just tired. Or rarely it might go the opposite route and I'm sleeping for 24 hours straight.

Sometimes it all clicks together and I sleep very normally but it usually only lasts for a week or two at most and then just slowly disintegrates. Over the last few years, it actually seems to have gotten worse.

I feel like I've always been a bad sleeper but sometime in highschool was when it really started to go pear shaped. Where I suddenly either wanted to be asleep all the time and just dream or else couldn't sleep at night some nights. I'm sort of wondering if I've actually done something to do this to myself but can't think of anything specific.

I'm pretty worried that sleep is going to be a severe point of contention in my relationships and in any work I have to do for the rest of my life. It really does make you feel kind of like a kind of addict in a way, what with the lying, excuses, the endless cavalcade of home spun wisdom from people who constantly offer solutions that don't work and missing events because you're sleeping at all the wrong times. My gf has texted me to please wake up, probably sometime last evening and I've missed a zoom meeting with another friend for the second day in a row. I've got god knows how much work to do this week and I just can't imagine doing much else but sleep

A good friend works at my local university in a sleep lab. You seem like a prime subject. It’s fascinating.

Good luck friend

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i feel like poo poo and my legs are trembling. not enough sleep last night? anxiety? starting to get sick with a suppressed immune system? who knows!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Caffeine pills until I drop. Best nights sleep you’ll ever have

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zeniel posted:

Yeah I had problems since elementary school but high school is when it really had consequences. I slept or was tired through a lot of school and was lucky that I used to be smart so I just coasted through it. When I got to college I couldn't get by on that and I had to actually study but I had no idea how to do that since I never developed any study skills.

Starting to smoke weed in high school made everything much worse.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Shroomie posted:

Most of quarantine I've actually been able to follow a sleep schedule from Midnight-7:30am and its been great.

In my regular life I have a broke rear end sleep schedule where I go to sleep drunk at like 5am, wake up at 9am, go back to sleep at 2pm and wake up for work at 6pm. It's awful and I'm tired all the time.

Drinking REALLY fucks up your sleep. Even if you get enough hours, the quality of sleep is just terrible. I drank yesterday for the Packer game (and into the night) and slept 14 hours and still don't feel top shape today.

Scott Lame
Jan 8, 2014
I used to have a TV and a PC in my room and slept very poorly. Removed them both and things improved greatly. Went through the same thing with my phone, removed it, but it has snuck back in recently and my insomnia has returned.

The bedroom is for sleep and maybe sex and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I need like 8-10 hours a day, and another 8 at night