Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Jose Oquendo posted:

I am using Spectrum now and I have issues all the time. Strangely, when I had Comcast previously, it was great. It definitely varies by market.

Oh yeah we had terrible issues when I moved to my apartment but when I bought my new modem and router all of my problems went away.

Told them to take their lovely box back and to remove the monthly fee because of their fuckup.

I have two networking degrees and work in networking. I know a thing or two and ISPs haaaate me because of it.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

im on spectrum

but for cable i have comcast

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I had comcast in my college apartment. It wasn't terribly priced at the time but I had so many issues with the internet service. Every time a tech came out he said it was because of "this old building".

After I moved out I had to physically return a bunch of stuff and there was a tiny scratch on the TV remote, I think I dropped it at some point and a little piece of the plastic casing broke off. They wanted to charge me hundreds of dollars for that to "replace the remote" until I said "Okay then I'll just keep all of this and pay the same replacement fee." and they dropped it. I wonder how many other people get scammed with stuff like that if they're worried about their credit or just want to be done with the whole thing.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I'm stuck with Spectrum as the only option in my area and it's awful.

It used to be Time Warner, and they were at least ok to deal with, but they went through a merger and part of the deal was that they had to spin off some of their customers to Spectrum. When the transition occurred, I had been paying something like $90/mo for an internet-only plan that was a bit over 100 Mbps (don't remember the exact numbers anymore, it's been years). Spectrum claimed that they didn't support speeds that high in our area and that we would be moved to a 60 Mbps plan that cost $70/mo. I figured fine, whatever, at least it's cheaper and it's not like there was any alternative.

However, what they actually did was downgrade our speeds to 60 Mbps, but continued billing at the old rate. I didn't notice immediately because I had auto-pay set up, but I called after a few months when I noticed and asked for them to fix the billing and refund the extra $20/mo I had been paying. They told me it was impossible that I had been overbilled despite confirming the payments I had been making and their own website having PDFs of my old bills that I could see, and despite the fact that they acknowledged they made an adjustment to my plan going forward. I tried a couple times to get it fixed, but they wouldn't budge so I gave up and just filed an FCC complaint about overbilling (mainly out of spite).

I assumed the FCC thing was just screaming into the void and I wouldn't get any response, and I wish I had been right. Somehow that would've been better than what actually happened. A month or two later, I got a follow up call from Spectrum about the FCC complaint by an extremely aggressive person who said she wanted to resolve the claim. So I explained what happened and that all I was asking for was a refund of the amount I had been overbilled after the transition from Time Warner to Spectrum, and she wouldn't even acknowledge my complaint. Like, she would wait quietly while I explained, and then her response would just be something like "I have researched your account. Would you say the matter is now settled?". Just over and over trying to either get me to say that the issue was resolved or that the information was incorrect, but never even mentioning the billing documents I asked her about or even acknowledging that I was asking for anything really. The only information I was able to get out of her at all during the call was that she did not have access to my account and could not confirm any details I was asking to be confirmed. After that I told her that it would be impossible to resolve the issue and that I would need to talk to someone who could access my billing and plan history.

That same day I got an email from the FCC informing me that my ticket had been updated and that my provider had responded to my concerns, and that the ticket would be marked resolved and I would receive a written copy of their response in the mail within 10 days. I replied to the email with a short statement summarizing the call and clearly stating I had not agreed to any resolution. Never got a response, never got anything in the mail, and the ticket was marked resolved.

Very cool that the FCC just lets ISPs close customer complaints for them requiring no proof, and just routes any response from the customer straight to the trash. Well that's my story.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I remember when one of cable's selling points was reduced or zero commercials on most channels. lol

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i keep waiting for every single television show ever to not be readily available on other websites, but all thats changed between now and 15 years ago is storage got cheaper and my internet got faster

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Floodixor posted:

this thread started out with some VERY offensive and disgusting language but I could enjoy a dialogue about piracy in the modern era on this new territory of page 2

Piracy in 2021 is so good. You can set up a Sonarr/Radarr system in minutes and then just lie back and relax as everything you enjoy just comes down automatically. No more commercials, censoring, channel logos, and lovely bitrates for TV shows. No more waiting for your country to work out rights to something. And hey, bonus episode that was supposed to air in a month, or old TV shows with original soundtracks in HD that'll never get released officially.

I pay for lovely cable TV anyway for live sport, but lol if I actually watch anything else on it. The second they up the price beyond how much I feel it's worth, it's gone.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

A Fancy Hat posted:

I had comcast in my college apartment. It wasn't terribly priced at the time but I had so many issues with the internet service. Every time a tech came out he said it was because of "this old building".

After I moved out I had to physically return a bunch of stuff and there was a tiny scratch on the TV remote, I think I dropped it at some point and a little piece of the plastic casing broke off. They wanted to charge me hundreds of dollars for that to "replace the remote" until I said "Okay then I'll just keep all of this and pay the same replacement fee." and they dropped it. I wonder how many other people get scammed with stuff like that if they're worried about their credit or just want to be done with the whole thing.

I had Verizon Fios two separate times (I usually switch between them and Optimum because the prices always go up and it makes sense to change). The first time I got rid of Fios, they told me they don't really like accepting cable box and modem returns at their office, they prefer you mail it and they gave me a return postage paid label. I put four cable boxes and the modem in the box and sent it back.

A few months later I get a bill in the mail for $1,500 dollars. They told me three of the cable boxes were missing. I told them it was impossible because if they got one they got all four. There was absolutely nothing I could do and my credit was about to be hosed until I was telling a neighborhood dad who I didn't know worked customer service for Fios. He took down my info and made it go away. I literally needed a hookup to not get hosed out of $1,500 or ruined credit.

The craziest poo poo is I also got rid of Fios a second time and all I had was a modem to return (I stopped paying for cable TV by then) and they did the exact same loving thing! They said the box I sent was empty and they were charging me $150 for the modem. I told them I had video of me packing the box and sealing it (which was true) and I asked them who at Verizon and the FTC should I be sending the video to and they suddenly found it.

I now have Optimum where I bought my own modem and haven't been paying their $5 a month rental fee. However my bill went up $20 per month and I asked why and they said my promotional price ended. I told them I was going to cancel but they said they would give me 500 mbps internet which was more than double what I was getting so I said OK. Unfortunately this apparently requires a new fiber line to be installed to my home so someone is installing it tomorrow. I asked the person on the phone if I could use my old modem and they said they didn't know. Then I asked if I can buy the modem on ebay and he said he didn't know that either. So I'm not exactly confident in this whole Optimum fiber upgrade tomorrow.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Piracy in 2021 is so good. You can set up a Sonarr/Radarr system in minutes and then just lie back and relax as everything you enjoy just comes down automatically. No more commercials, censoring, channel logos, and lovely bitrates for TV shows. No more waiting for your country to work out rights to something. And hey, bonus episode that was supposed to air in a month, or old TV shows with original soundtracks in HD that'll never get released officially.

I pay for lovely cable TV anyway for live sport, but lol if I actually watch anything else on it. The second they up the price beyond how much I feel it's worth, it's gone.

Sonarr and Radarr with a newsgroup subscription is so much better too. If somebody uploaded a TV show 9 years ago, it will find it (unlike torrents that rely on people still uploading it).

I have my sister's Hulu account on my TV and I still download Hulu TV shows to my Plex server just because there's no commercials and also I have peace of mind that it will be there forever no matter what legal bullshit is going on with content owners.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Speculum is a good service but it's limited in scope and pretty intrusive

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Hold on, crossposting this to Reddit to get the proper circlejerk going.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

A few months later I get a bill in the mail for $1,500 dollars. They told me three of the cable boxes were missing. I told them it was impossible because if they got one they got all four. There was absolutely nothing I could do and my credit was about to be hosed until I was telling a neighborhood dad who I didn't know worked customer service for Fios. He took down my info and made it go away. I literally needed a hookup to not get hosed out of $1,500 or ruined credit.

The craziest poo poo is I also got rid of Fios a second time and all I had was a modem to return (I stopped paying for cable TV by then) and they did the exact same loving thing! They said the box I sent was empty and they were charging me $150 for the modem.

I went through something like this in the early 2000s with Cox. I signed up for cable internet at my college apartment, and I bought my own modem at best buy because in the long run that was cheaper than renting a modem for $5/mo. The cable tech who did the installation had no problem activating it and the billing side seemed to figure it out because I was never charged a monthly equipment fee. A year later I canceled my service over the phone because I was moving. After that I got a bill from them for over $100 for not returning the modem they never gave me. I called and tried to sort it out since I still had the receipt for the modem and the paperwork from the original installation that proved the tech had used my modem and not one of theirs, but they weren't interested. I ended up never paying and kept all the documentation for years in case it ever ended up in collections, but nothing ever came of it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Like I said, my experience with Comcast has been weirdly good. Over time I have gotten consistently faster speeds for less money. I do own my own modem, so that makes my bill slightly lower since I'm not paying their stupid rental fee.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase posted:

I went through something like this in the early 2000s with Cox. I signed up for cable internet at my college apartment, and I bought my own modem at best buy because in the long run that was cheaper than renting a modem for $5/mo. The cable tech who did the installation had no problem activating it and the billing side seemed to figure it out because I was never charged a monthly equipment fee. A year later I canceled my service over the phone because I was moving. After that I got a bill from them for over $100 for not returning the modem they never gave me. I called and tried to sort it out since I still had the receipt for the modem and the paperwork from the original installation that proved the tech had used my modem and not one of theirs, but they weren't interested. I ended up never paying and kept all the documentation for years in case it ever ended up in collections, but nothing ever came of it.

I wonder if it even makes sense to give these companies your real social security number. Do they seriously run a credit check to get internet service? I'm paying monthly, I don't understand why they'd need my credit info. It's not like a cell phone plan that gives you a free phone and you need to keep the service for two years or something.

This also assuming they can't gently caress with your credit if they don't have your actual ssn. I honestly have no idea if they can or not.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I assume that if they actually went after people's credit with verifiably false claims, they'd eventually get into some kind of legal trouble. But it's less risky to intimidate people into voluntarily paying extra.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno how the hell to prove I shipped four cable boxes when they claim only one was in the box.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I dunno how the hell to prove I shipped four cable boxes when they claim only one was in the box.

shipping weight

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I've got spectrum and it just randomly 'drops' about twice every 24 hours for 'awhile' at a time.
it appears to be DNS related, or at least operates in a similar manner to what you'd expect a DNS outage to look like, and I've attempted to manually set my router to public (Google, etc) DNS servers, but the problem persists.
I own my own modem.
I cannot pinpoint the timing of these events.

Resetting the equipment during these 'outages' does nothing.
I cannot otherwise explain it.

I haven't called to report this complaint because trying to describe this issue to their tech support is something that I cannot fathom, even given my own 'computer toucher' back ground, making it all the more frustrating.

It's real cool.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

bradzilla posted:

shipping weight

This. If you shipped it via their shipping label, and it's UPS, FedEx or DHL, go take a screenshot of the package information screen showing the weight and the dimensions as well as the tracking number.

Email that back to them.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I have Spectrum and it blows but at least it's not Comcast which also blows.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mormon Nailer posted:

This. If you shipped it via their shipping label, and it's UPS, FedEx or DHL, go take a screenshot of the package information screen showing the weight and the dimensions as well as the tracking number.

Email that back to them.

bradzilla posted:

shipping weight

It was a pre-paid drop off label thing. They didn't even weigh it when I gave it to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

It was a pre-paid drop off label thing. They didn't even weigh it when I gave it to them.

Still. It shows on the tracking information page. Weight, dims, etc is automatically recorded in transit.