Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The additions with Overclocked make it much easier to run two physical parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sorcrane posted:

A character's movement gauge goes up on their turn, especially if they take an action. Attacking (and getting attacked) takes up more of the gauge than skill usage. Moving takes about the same gauge amount as attacking. Ending the turn without doing anything takes up the least amount, but it's not non-zero.

Double negative at the end here. Unless ending a turn does take zero skill gauge use.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

berryjon posted:

Actually a Strength build for the MC is very good for this game for exactly two reasons, neither of which I can talk about at this point due to the no-spoiler policy. But yes, in most games, MAG focus works because of the variety of effects you can get from it. This just isn't one of them.

This is not an empty quote, it’s a threat to tell anecdotes when they aren’t spoilers.

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
I'm looking forward to these map breakdowns for later maps, some of them get downright cruel if you do a no deaths/no grinding run.

And I never did a str MC, really curious why it would be preferable because of... reasons.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I tried Str my first run through, and it was fine. I find Mag to be more consistent and flexible for what you generally want, mainly because of skill assignment and sharing, but Str is still very good.

cshell
Nov 20, 2021
Devil Survivor was the game I would shill to people to get them into non-persona megaten before SMTV came out and I have a longtime fondness for it, glad to see it's getting LP love!

nightelf_37
Oct 13, 2021

by Hand Knit
This was my first non-Persona SMT game too. Glad to see this being covered.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

My first non-persona SMT game was Nocturne.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
This was the first non-Persona SMT game I played and remains the only SMT game I've managed to beat.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

berryjon posted:

Actually a Strength build for the MC is very good for this game for exactly two reasons, neither of which I can talk about at this point due to the no-spoiler policy. But yes, in most games, MAG focus works because of the variety of effects you can get from it. This just isn't one of them.
A Magic MC works really well in this game too; in fact I'd say this is one of the few SMT games where both ST and MA are nearly equally viable. Most have one as "the OP option" and one as "ok at best".

sorcrane
Jul 30, 2017

Birds with beautiful wings! Gather on the battlefield and take flight!
The stat pic I posted is pretty misleading - I'm actually not going to be running St this time around. :sweatdrop: For reasons that will become apparent soon, doing a St build this run will make my life significantly more difficult. But the St allocation still has its uses!

(Though in all honesty I should've stopped the St allocation already. I guess it's fitting that like the poor choices that will be made this run, so too will the stats be, well, poor.)

Blaze Dragon posted:

Double negative at the end here. Unless ending a turn does take zero skill gauge use.

Fixed, thanks!

many folks posted:

lots of Devil Survivor love

I'm enthusiastic to see the enthusiasm! :allears: Devil Survivor wasn't my first SMT game, but it was the first SMT game I had ever heard of (thanks, Nintendo Power) and is definitely the one I'm most bananas about.

This LP is going to be a long haul, so I appreciate you all putting up with the sporadic posting schedule.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Devil Survivor and Strange Journey were the games that got me into SMT as a series. DS SJ is a bit too rough for me to go back to any more (so I'm glad I got in two playthroughs while I could) but DS2 didn't kill the joy of playing Overclocked, so I do still boot that game up every so often.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sorcrane posted:

This LP is going to be a long haul, so I appreciate you all putting up with the sporadic posting schedule.

It is an SMT game so that is not a surprise in the least and I am excited to see both the stuff I have witnessed and the stuff I missed.

sorcrane
Jul 30, 2017

The night passes uneventfully - Amane's barrier seems to have held true.

Before long, the sun rises to shed some light on the situation...

Welcome to Day 1.

music$ Action

That girl was right. Some demon-looking things passed by, but they didn't notice us.

Yeah... I saw 'em too. B-But now that the sun's out, we can get out of here, right?

We'll be all right. Looks like the demons have moved elsewhere.

But the lights never came back on... Hard to tell in daylight, but there's still a blackout.

Yeah... I still don't have any cell reception. So... none of that was a dream...

sfx$ A faint beep goes off in the background.

(Figures it would be Naoya. What cryptic guidance does he have this time...?)

NAOYA posted:

Death Clock

Kazuya, you're still alive, aren't you? I'll explain the Death Clock to you.

The Death Clock displays the number of days a person has left to live.

The details are:
* The Death Clock is only available to the party leader.
* A single digit (0-9) is displayed.
* If a person has 10 or more days left before death, nothing is displayed.

Finally, the Death Clock is simply a value calculated by the Laplace system. A person's actions can cause the value to change, so be careful.

(Does he even know we could've died yesterday? And today...)

(0 again, huh?)

The Observer posted:

Laplace Mail

Good morning. Here is today's NEWS.

① Power outages will continue in all parts of Tokyo within the Yamanote loop through the day. It is unknown when power will be restored.

② Poisonous gas is suspected to have escaped from underground pockets. All train service is cancelled across all lines. All exits from within the Yamanote loop will be closed.

③ At 13:00 in Chiyoda-ku and Bunkyo-ku, a localized blizzard will occur. Three victims will be murdered by a snowman.

HaVE a niCE daY.

music$ Disquiet

Hey, Blue... Didn't you say before that you could see a number over our heads...?

You read the email?

Yesterday, you said... The number was 1.

Which means... our number right now... it's 0, isn't it?

That's it. I've had enough! This stupid conversation is over!

C'mon, let's go. This is all some big hoax... Let's hurry back home!

(Even without power, we should be able to get out of here in daylight.)

Yeah, let's go.

(...Ack.)

......! Wh-What do you mean?

Calm down, Yoohoo. I checked the other email. Don't you remember what it said?

"All stations are locked down." If that's true, we won't be able to use the trains.

B-But...! How can we know for sure unless we go? The email might be wrong about that!

Yuzu's right. Let's go to the station.

Yeah, I'm with you. No sense in griping about it here. Let's check the nearest station!

Hey, you guys! Look...!

music$ 不安 -jingle-

What the hell...? What happened here?

What a mess... Did all this happen just because we had a blackout for one night?

(Demons aside, wandering around with no light is just...)

Blackouts can be scary.

Sorry, guys... I don't think this is because of the blackout.

Huh? What do you mean?

Then... It really is because demons are in Tokyo...?

There's no proof, but that'd be my guess.

Let's hurry... We're almost to Shibuya.

music$ Disquiet

sfx$ The loud murmuring of the crowd fills the air.

All lines, including private rails, are affected. Remain calm until the problem is solved!

Police blockades are in effect throughout the Yamanote line, including overpasses.

A man with a sunken face approaches the SDF Officer. He looks like he's seen better days.

(That man's got a 6 on his clock. I don't see one on the soldier...)

Hey, what's going on here? I demand a full explanation for this!

The cause is currently under investigation. Until then, please obey our instructions!

To ensure everyone's safety, we ask for your understanding and cooperation!

The soldier's completely ignoring him...

......!

A poison gas leak... and an explosion? S-So was last night really not caused by-

Hold that thought for a minute... There's too many people here.

If you have any information, please inform a disaster relief worker immediately!

drat... not only aren't the trains working, we can't even get near the station...!

Was that stuff about the gas leak true? You think this is because of the demons, too...?

(If demons were responsible for the roads last night, then isn't anything possible?)

It could be.

I don't know...

Huh?

You think they put up all these barricades and blocked in the entire area overnight?

No... It looks to me like all this was prepared way in advance...

W-Wait, you mean...?

Yeah... There's something else going on here that we don't know about.

(Atsuro's right. This stinks of a bigger scheme. But why should we get involved with demons and soldiers?)

Why not find a way out?

music$ Action

A way out...? Hey... Yeah, that might work!

The Laplace Mail and the death clock both work on what's most likely to happen, right?

So let's do something! We'll prove both the email and the death clock wrong!

Haha... I'm surprised to hear that coming from you, Yoohoo.

The death clock and the Laplace Mails do run on the same predictive algorithm...

Which means the death clock uses what the Laplace Mail says to calculate a number.

Its probability ratio is pretty high... The underlying process must be real complicated.

With an algorithm this complex, one mistake could cause a very large error.

Which means... if we make sure the things the Laplace Mail predicts don't come true...

......!

Does that mean... We don't have to die today?

Seems that way.

It's not certain that the results will be thrown off, mind you...

But it's probably safe to assume that we can change the outcome.

(Leave it to Atsuro to make some sense of all this.)

Uh... Is this really possible?

Haha, what's the matter, Yoohoo? This was your idea.

Haha, there's the Yoohoo we know. Don't sweat it, okay?

Alright! Let's do whatever we can to find a way out of this lockdown!

As long as we prevent what's predicted in those emails, we can beat the death clock!

Even if the area inside the Yamanote line is locked down, there must be a secret exit!

Right! But we'll have to be careful of the police and the Self-Defense Force...

(Oh, right...)

Huh? Why...?

We were at the cemetery.

He's right. The SDF guy at the station said they were looking into the explosion.

Let's take a look at the map.

The highlighted area on the map is the Yamanote Line's inner circle.

Our trio is currently in Shibuya. There's a lot of ground to cover looking for a way out, and it looks like there's a new face hanging around, too.

Time's a-ticking, but it might not be a bad idea to do some intel first. Let's go talk to-

Exits, exits... Hmm?

*beep*

Oh... it's another COMP notification.

More fighting, huh? At least we can detect them.

This could help us avoid unnecessary fighting around the perimeter, too.

Yeah.

*beep* BATTLE DETECTED.

What the-!

music$ Aggressive tune

So soon after last night... I really don't want to, but...!

We've barely left the station, so there's a lot of people close by...

Doesn't look like they're keen to move. We could likely make an escape, if we needed to.

Well... Alright! But if it looks bad, we're running, got it?

Alright, let's see what we're up against...

Kobolds and Kabusos on my end. No surprises over here!

Just a pair of Kabusos over here.

And I see a couple Ogres over there. ...Okay, I think we can do this! Be careful, everyone!

Mreh? Look, it's humans- GYAH!

music$ Battle beat

HRRM?

SO LOUD! WHAT IS ON UP THERE?

Huff...Huff.. T-This side is done.

We're making good progress! Wait, how did you get hurt so badly already?

They, uh... had a lot of fire.

Guys? A little help over here?

Right with you! ...You too, Atsuro!? Hold still a moment...

Thanks, Yoohoo!

Alright, out with you!

AHHHH! TOO MUCH FIRE! I GO ELSEWHERE.

music$ Action

...I don't see any backup! This area should be safe for now.

Oh, something from the COMP?

Looks like beating those demons earned us more Macca.

The stuff mentioned in the email yesterday, huh? ...It doesn't seem harmful, at least.

Hey, how about we go back to the station and take a quick breather? Using the COMP is pretty tiring.

Maybe the crowd has cleared up some.

We can rest up a bit while looking. Sounds like a game plan to me!

(That reminds me... I should update my notes while I have the chance.)

Amane Kuzuryu / 16 / ? posted:

She introduced herself to the group at Aoyama Cemetery before the lockdown began.
(And also... Finally know his handle... Alright. )

Naoaya Suou / 24 / NAOYA posted:

• Kazuya's cousin.

• Lost his parents at an early age and lived with the Suou family until a few years ago. Like a brother to Kazuya.

• A genius programmer who lives alone at an apartment in Aoyama.

The COMP you received from him has numerous mysterious functions.

Why did he give them to you...?
(I think that's all. Better not keep Atsuro and Yuzu waiting.)

I saw people running away from the park. Did something happen?

Let's find out.

Shibuya > 1st day 09:00 / ACTION: ???

conversation$ :siren: Enter Kaido

We'll lift the lockdown once we can confirm the area is safe. Please wait until then.

Like the SDF Officer from earlier, the SDF Captain sounds wholly disinterested in discussion.

Yeah, yeah, you said that already! I'm askin' when that's gonna happen!

No matter how often you ask, the answer is the same. Now go back to the safe zone!

What? You wanna say that again?

Quit yappin' like a dog and shut your cake hole.

The punk quickly flees from the scene.

Kaido is voiced by Travis Willingham (Tayama, Shin Megami Tensei IV) and Yasuhiro Mamiya (David Wyne, Trauma Team).

You know him, Atsuro...? Ugh... more "daemons"...

That's the absolute last thing I want to hear about now...

C'mon, Yoohoo. They're not quite the same thing. A daemon is a guardian spirit.

They're really famous in Shibuya.

Think he's seen Naoya?

I get it... Even if he doesn't know, maybe one of his flunkies will!

Kaido IS known for treating his people well... Yeah, let's go talk to him!

(He's got a 6 on his clock, just like the SDF officer from earlier.)

Er... Hello. I'm Kazuya, that's Atsuro, and she's Yuzu.

Cool. I'm Kaido. You guys need somethin'?

Do you know Naoya?

Huh? Naoya? Who's he?

He's Blue's cousin. We don't know where he is...

Well... Things are pretty bad around here, so I'll help you look. Got a photo or anything?

(That's surprisingly nice of him.)

Yeah, just a moment... Here.

Cool, got it. Alright, once the cells come back on, I'll spread it around my crew.

That all you wanted?

(Might be able to push my luck a little further...)

Well, actually...

*sigh* I had a feeling you'd say that...

Everyone's in the same boat here... If that's all, I'm gonna get going.

(Is there anything else I'm forgetting? ...That went well.)

Goodbye.

Huh...? No need to be so formal, man.

(Guh... Right at the last moment.)

Clear as day. It was 6.

Six days? I-It was that short? That means he has less than a week, right...?

Don't be ridiculous, it was just a coincidence. Six days is better than our time...

Y-Yeah, but...

Sorry... Didn't mean to bring you down like that.

We've stayed in Shibuya long enough.

Next time: The trio attempts to leave Shibuya (and the Yamanote circle).

sorcrane fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 4, 2021

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kaido seems like a really nice guy for a gangster.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Well, it is a minor state of emergency. There's no sense in being an rear end to random kids looking for their a brother.

The free-battle maps can be fun and interesting depending on the layout. The over-pass map we see here is pretty neat because of the twists and turns involved with later abilities.

sorcrane
Jul 30, 2017

Next update will be delayed to early next week thanks to the log4j fiasco. :supaburn: See you all then.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Huh what’s going on?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

An important piece of software has a significant security hole in it, a nice, giant infosec nightmare clusterfuck, "This isn't what I meant when I said I wanted a long weekend!" type of deal.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/security-warning-new-zero-day-in-the-log4j-java-library-is-already-being-exploited/

sorcrane
Jul 30, 2017

SIGSEGV posted:

"This isn't what I meant when I said I wanted a long weekend!" type of deal.

Post status is still a bit in limbo until this, uh, long weekend ends. You could say it's a bit of an overclocked situation.

OK that wasn't a great pun. Here's a fun tidbit of info instead: Devil Survivor Overclocked actually came out in North America a week before Japan got it (August 23, 2011 vs September 1, 2011). While not too noteworthy, it is unusual that the release order happened that way, especially for 2011-era.

Also I've gotten my hands on the Devil Survivor official guidebooks (there are two). Sadly no Devil Survivor Overclocked official guidebook, but there's all sorts of neat info in these such as discarded character ideas, so I'll be trying to meter them into the LP.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

sorcrane posted:

Also I've gotten my hands on the Devil Survivor official guidebooks (there are two). Sadly no Devil Survivor Overclocked official guidebook, but there's all sorts of neat info in these such as discarded character ideas, so I'll be trying to meter them into the LP.
I have the DeSu Official Material Collection published by Udon. Is that the one you have? If not, I'll gladly set it aside for research/checking if you want.

sorcrane
Jul 30, 2017

Well that was a horrifying experience! I think I'm finally free from the impromptu log4j crunch. Let's never do that again!

I've almost got the next few updates ready, but I've changed locations since the last update and accidentally left behind the USB with my banner-making assets on it. :cripes: I'll retroactively fix the banners after I reacquire the stick, but fair warning that the next few updates will look a little wonky.

berryjon posted:

I have the DeSu Official Material Collection published by Udon. Is that the one you have? If not, I'll gladly set it aside for research/checking if you want.

Nice, I don't have that one. The one I've got is the Enterbrain Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Official Perfect Guide Book. It's beefy (399 pages!) but doesn't include the official character art. If I remember correctly, Yasuda left some artist comments with regards to character designs. Thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on that and DM later for its info.

Happ-hee-ho-lidays to the thread, by the way.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Just wanted to chime in to say I'm greatly enjoying the LP style and hope it continues to see all the little things I missed.

I slowly but surely replayed the game for years to get every ending and achievement in it so yeah, I kinda like it.

Only thing I didn't like after playing so much is that, for how many endings it has, the story is only really different between them in the very late game, would've enjoyed it more if it branched earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
Kaido's a pretty rad dude. Devil Survivor's one of my favorite SMTs in general, it does a LOT of stuff I really like. Thought I knew this game basically inside-out, but it looks like we've got ourselves a player who's more versed than that! I certainly didn't notice a lot of the little translation differences, though I did spot enough to guess they probably did the whole thing over from scratch.

Gotta say, I like it better when Atsuro speaks with more tech-jargon. Since he ends up bottom-lining it all for Yuzu anyway, it just makes it a little more believable when she gets lost - like, come on girl, "always-on wireless communication" isn't really that hard to follow, it's not like he's yapping about how it works.

Got similar problems in the sequel, really - resident scientist doesn't really use that many big words, but the designated bro character still can't follow such concepts as "there's nothing there" or "it's gone."

Anyway, though, enjoying what's here so far! Know it's been a bit, but hoping to see it back!