Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Two birds, one stone. Vega Sphereoopstrap. Predatory flora, sessile with hunting tentacles that enmesh their prey and exude digestive juices and microcilia feed-roots on their captures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
two words: tall crabs

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Haha yes, real fuckin tall!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Siegkrow posted:

What resources do we currently have that would be useful for the current stage?

With the exception of initial seeding we pride ourselves in procuring all natural resources in-System (ie; mass, energy, exotics), as multiple Iterations have proved this provides Client with the most satisfying end product. That said, we do keep stock-specimens in cryostasis for emergencies. Our primary resource and the only one which can be said to have a meaningful limit is our stock of Designers. You are all unique and beautiful!

--

Slaan posted:

Alright chief, here is a grazer to die for!

Take a mosquito, make it big as an eternabull and make the proboscis prehensile. BAM! Instant source of meat that can easily reach hard to get plants

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Flora eh? How about muckwort which can tolerate salinity and high mineral content, and a fernuloid which should be able to develop woody branches pretty easy. I guess either could, eventually.

We need a solid arthropod for a grazer, something like a pill bug or millipede. A little squishy but not TOO squishy.

For a pred those bears need an out, just in case. I bet some could evolve to hide in worts until it's time to strike.

Well, that's terrifying! Good work, the Llhamasquito may be big, but with it's classic Obvious Weakpoint some critter or other is bound to evolve the means to exploit it given time. Or they'll suck Vega-4 dry. Either or!

The Frillypedes love to hide among the Leafibre bushels that have taken to grow anywhere there is shade and warmth, with the previous Sporest being pushed even higher by the Newort clusters with the occasional Invertree taking root wherever there is room to spare.

--

Arcanuse posted:

Lumicube.
An angry, six-sided omnivorous rockplated creature. A sort of land-muscle/clam/mollusk, perhaps?
Lumicube can survive on sunlight if it must, but largely thrives on rolling over smaller creatures/vegetation and eating the resulting mash.
Lumicube can even hunt underwater, if only for a short while. Not very buoyant, those rock creatures.
It's even edible. We think. We didn't really care for it in the lab, but if it survives to the final product tourists will probably love the thing.
Don't really get tourists, but I'm not getting paid to question the customer, here~.

Siegkrow posted:

Well we already have Stinkgrass.
How about a simple stench berry bush, it extracts nutrients from the sulphur heavy ground and creates very stinky berries that have a deeply sweet flavor that attracts grazers (to spread it's seeds) while the stench repels parasites?

AJ_Impy posted:

Two birds, one stone. Vega Sphereoopstrap. Predatory flora, sessile with hunting tentacles that enmesh their prey and exude digestive juices and microcilia feed-roots on their captures.

Dog Kisser posted:

Haha yes, real fuckin tall!

Lux Animus posted:

two words: tall crabs

Woah! Look at that diversity down by the beach! The new Stinkberrybushes are spreading like wildfire, which they are also contributing to thanks to their dry and sulphurous nature! They also provide breeding ground for magma snails, which the Sphereooptraps greedily gulp down. Competing for a taste of those mineral rich slugs are also Lumicubes, a sight more rare but far more ferocious, they breed on the obsidian shore where they crystallize their sandy skin in the ambient heat of cooling magma!

Lastly we have the Crabby Longlegs, and... why. Why did you make more crabs! I told you, no crabs! Ugh. Now we'll never get rid of them all. Let's just hope they die out naturally...

That said, it's almost time for another jaunt in the Timeskipper - but I need one more thing from y'all before we take a little break and watch the world churn. Another Evosolution INC speciality;

Powered by Exotics, simply placing a Monolith in one of the available biomes will turbo-charge local evolution with wild, mostly beneficial mutations for each subsequent generation!

Placing an Unmonolith in a biome will do the opposite; causing stagnation by severely limiting the amount of natural mutation each species undergoes per generation.

Let's start with just one of each for now, as to not upset the ecosystem too much.

The available biomes are:

Vega-4 Secundus
- Sporest
- Crystal Crater
Vega-4
- The Icecaps (empty)
- Ignition Island (empty)
- The Stinkosphere
- Sporecap Mountains
- Lavaplains
- The Magma Tunnel Network
- Obsidian Beach
- The Sulphur Sea
- The Stinkoral Reef

Remember, just because some areas are empty now, or may not house your favourite critter or fauna, that does not mean it will remain that way forever. The Sulphur Sea covers much of Vega-4 and we already have a few avians and amphibians going, not to mention all the tunnelling georganisms.

Now, get to voting, designers! And I'll see you all again in a few hundred million years for the next debriefing.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Monolith in Crystal Crater

Un-Monolith in Crystal Crater

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
woah that's a power play if i ever saw one

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Monolith in the Sporest!
Unmonolith in the Icecaps!

Also, i know we don't have much time.before we need to enter the time warp, but if what we want is to curb the spread of Crabs, we need to look into what other planets do to keep them down: smash their shells. The biosphere is too early to sustain avians yet, so we should do the best next thing and modify one of our predators to have a blunt, hammer-like claw that they can use to break the long, fragile crab legs.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Dog Kisser posted:

Monolith in Crystal Crater

Un-Monolith in Crystal Crater

:hmmyes:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Monolith in Stinkoral Reef, and we take bets on how long it takes to get overgrown

Unmonolith in Crater, we want to keep the rare geological essence of the meteorite unbothered for millennia

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Lux Animus posted:

Monolith in Stinkoral Reef, and we take bets on how long it takes to get overgrown

Unmonolith in Crater, we want to keep the rare geological essence of the meteorite unbothered for millennia

+1

Theanael
Jun 21, 2019
Monolith in the Sporest
Let's give a little push to moonslime expansion
Unmonolith in the Obsidian Beach
Hoping the crab will stagnate and go extinct in the process

Siegkrow posted:

Monolith in the Sporest!
Unmonolith in the Icecaps!

Also, i know we don't have much time.before we need to enter the time warp, but if what we want is to curb the spread of Crabs, we need to look into what other planets do to keep them down: smash their shells. The biosphere is too early to sustain avians yet, so we should do the best next thing and modify one of our predators to have a blunt, hammer-like claw that they can use to break the long, fragile crab legs.
A good idea. I will keep it in mind next time I need to clean after those Crabpocalyptic events from the entertainment department.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ice caps are potentially incredible life reservoirs for unusual forms, they might end up concentrating huge amounts of materials over the eons, depending on ocean currents.

The underside could be an excellent place for plants and animals to take root

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Lux Animus posted:

Supporting this.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
Monolith in the Stinkoral Reef.

Un-Monolith on the Obsidian Beachs.

gently caress the client, the Crabby Longlegs aren't going anywhere, those things are a work of art. Anything that might cause that divine form to evolve away needs to be stagnated.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Kristopher posted:

gently caress the client, the Crabby Longlegs aren't going anywhere, those things are a work of art. Anything that might cause that divine form to evolve away needs to be stagnated.

What do you mean? Don't you remember the last time we allowed a planet to evolve too many crabs? I still have nightmares about the crabpocalypse.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Evosolution Inc
Y 0.500b
Vega System

Bing! This is your automated attention paying system! Please pay attention!

Welcome back Designers! My, would you look at that! How our little Vega-4 has grown! We have nearly full fauna coverage and all the stink has been concentrated into the oceanic abyss, where it will surely never bother anybody ever again! All those critters we made? They are long since dead, or so different that it hardly makes a difference! Why if we were to beam down there right now, hardly anything would look the same.

See what I mean?

Wait a minute. This looks like A Complication!! Where are all the animals?

UNIVAC; Enhance!

Well, huh. I guess that Crabby Mile-legs over there is the only thing long enough to stick up out of the thick coral canopy! I guess the Monolith really shook things up.

No matter, we can solve this - we just need some new, flying herbivores! Give our gengineers something to work with here, and we'll have things back to normal soon enough. Oh, and whilst you are at it, those Sulphide Ice Caps look ripe for habitation, so we could use an easily domesticated Beast of Burden to make ploughing the fertile soil easier for the Client when the time comes, a Cute Scavenger to clean up the trash, A Predator to make sure things don't get out of hand and a Wild Card to make things interesting. Remember to include some sort of toxicity mitigation features since the ground there is basically anathema to organic life. Good luck!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The Skorca is a flying herbivore the size of a small personal space saucer. It has black and white coloration, gigantic bouyant air sacs and large molars in a mouth on its underside to chew off coral. It avoids the toxicity by processing its meals in 5 different stomachs. The gas produced by the processing fills the air sacs.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

As for the Beast of burden, that can live in the Suplphide Ice Caps too? Well, it will live in the cold artic zones so it needs to have some of the typical cold adaptations.
the animal has to be BIG, FURRY, be able to STORE FAT. Which of our old mainstays can evolve for that?

I present to you, the CRYOMAGMASNAIL! We've reduced the necessity for fur by using our old magmasnails, Increasing their size, and made their body heat flow faster. It is specifically adapted for cold weather, as the high heat in their foot interacts with the ice and snow on the icecaps to quickly slide around. We've modified their digestive system to be able to more easily digest the heavy sulphur flora that lives under the icecaps to fuel its inner fire instead of using magma, and it can focus the inner fire on its front to dig under the caps and reach the flora.

We're trying to figure out the proper adaptations to store the refined sulphur in its shell so that its flesh can be edible for standard sapients.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Ah, it feels good to be back in the genegineers wheelhouse.
For this set, I propose we thaw out an older critter lineage, that of the Clayboar, to use as a base.
...What?
Oh, yes, we kept the Swinesilt/Clayboar/Terrahogga template from an earlier job; bit of clever genegineering work in my opinion integrating a psuedo 'evolution' as tourists would call it in a mostly natural...
...Ah, getting sidetracked.
The important part is this: The Swinesilt line can be altered to better fit our current needs.
Let me just load up the genegineers proposed modifications here, and... Boom.

Clay Pigdeon? Line posted:

[Swinesilt][Juvenile]
-Unfortunately our name adjusting skills were lacking for this stage, but we trust our coworkers will be able to provide something suitable.
-The earliest form of the line, the Swinesilt swiftly propels through the skys learning how to better control its antigravitational gift.
-In the meanwhile, the Swinesilts erratic movements offer evasive protection against would-be predators; though unfortunately not the assorted bumps and bruises that come from flying into the treeline or their elders.

[Claysoar][Adolescent]
-Having survived its first few years, the Claysoar has learned how to control its flight well enough to reliably go where it wishes without further assistance.
-Putting this skill to good use, Claysoar frequently serve as 'scouts', finding the best grazing spots for their drift.
-If needed, they are capable of coordinating with one another to scare away threats to their pack.
-While their chitin-plates are still unfired, the layers still place distance between a predators jaws and vital organs. Still, mostly useful for mild weather at this point.

[TerraHova][Adult]
-Plated with naturally formed chitinous shingles; the Terrahova sacrifices some of its youthful agility for a steady, unrelenting approach.
-Thus drifts of TerraHova can be seen gracefully grazing through the skys at their own pace, providing resting-perches for the Swinesilt and a solid barrier if the drove is threatened.
-Helpfully they also tend to guide any Swinesilt from tumbling too far from the drift.

Fresh (mostly) herbivorous creatures, ready for a trial run.
Or, at least, a step towards something greater.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
we need a good solid Titanic Lifeform to be our wild card. Perhaps a really powerful spore tree that has a mobile phase to its lifecycle. An enormous nomadic tree which can bring some of the things it needs to flourish along for the ride. If it's big enough it would affect the local weather whenever it passes.

e: and if it's big enough it could go well out off shore a lil, dragging it's habitat along to some foreign area

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 16, 2021

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Haven't we learned enough from the last attempts to make pigs fly? It'll never happen! It's crazy talk!

Ahern.

As for our cutesy scavenger, we need something that will instantly brand them as a criminals, like eyemasks, black and white striped torsos, nimble fingers, and pouches with currency symbols on them.

Something like those robber possums from Belthax IV?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
As for a predator, A Hermit Bear which shapes its mobile den out of coral and secretes enzymes that negate its toxicity, striking from ambush.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

As for a predator, A Hermit Bear which shapes its mobile den out of coral and secretes enzymes that negate its toxicity, striking from ambush.
Oh bad idea. We had some kid play with the gene interface last planet and ended up making a Bearcrab. We had to sterilize the entire system and start over from scratch. We still have a few samples in cryo if we need a super predator

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

we need a good solid Titanic Lifeform to be our wild card. Perhaps a really powerful spore tree that has a mobile phase to its lifecycle. An enormous nomadic tree which can bring some of the things it needs to flourish along for the ride. If it's big enough it would affect the local weather whenever it passes.

e: and if it's big enough it could go well out off shore a lil, dragging it's habitat along to some foreign area

A migratory habitat is a brilliant idea for a bespoke ecosystem. We could turn typically migratory fauna into fierce, sedentary creatures that stake claims over areas that the habitat seasonally passes through, gorging themselves while the habitat is in the area, and then hibernating until the habitat nears the creature's staked territory.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

The Skorca is a flying herbivore the size of a small personal space saucer. It has black and white coloration, gigantic bouyant air sacs and large molars in a mouth on its underside to chew off coral. It avoids the toxicity by processing its meals in 5 different stomachs. The gas produced by the processing fills the air sacs.

Arcanuse posted:

Ah, it feels good to be back in the genegineers wheelhouse.
For this set, I propose we thaw out an older critter lineage, that of the Clayboar, to use as a base.
...What?
Oh, yes, we kept the Swinesilt/Clayboar/Terrahogga template from an earlier job; bit of clever genegineering work in my opinion integrating a psuedo 'evolution' as tourists would call it in a mostly natural...
...Ah, getting sidetracked.
The important part is this: The Swinesilt line can be altered to better fit our current needs.
Let me just load up the genegineers proposed modifications here, and... Boom.

Fresh (mostly) herbivorous creatures, ready for a trial run.
Or, at least, a step towards something greater.

A'ight, let's see what the Gengineers come up with.... hang on a few million years whilst the population stabilizes...

Well! Would you look at that! They made it! However, it looks like the Skorcers are pretty territorial, claiming all the delicious Coral Canopy for themselves, forcing the new Swinesoar to look for a new foodsource: Sporeest spores from secunda! Oh well, nothing to be done about that.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
:rant: What did I say about flying pigs?!? This planet is doomed!

I hope a Crabby Mile-legs steps on some people...

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Siegkrow posted:

As for the Beast of burden, that can live in the Suplphide Ice Caps too? Well, it will live in the cold artic zones so it needs to have some of the typical cold adaptations.
the animal has to be BIG, FURRY, be able to STORE FAT. Which of our old mainstays can evolve for that?

I present to you, the CRYOMAGMASNAIL! We've reduced the necessity for fur by using our old magmasnails, Increasing their size, and made their body heat flow faster. It is specifically adapted for cold weather, as the high heat in their foot interacts with the ice and snow on the icecaps to quickly slide around. We've modified their digestive system to be able to more easily digest the heavy sulphur flora that lives under the icecaps to fuel its inner fire instead of using magma, and it can focus the inner fire on its front to dig under the caps and reach the flora.

We're trying to figure out the proper adaptations to store the refined sulphur in its shell so that its flesh can be edible for standard sapients.

Lux Animus posted:

Haven't we learned enough from the last attempts to make pigs fly? It'll never happen! It's crazy talk!

Ahern.

As for our cutesy scavenger, we need something that will instantly brand them as a criminals, like eyemasks, black and white striped torsos, nimble fingers, and pouches with currency symbols on them.

Something like those robber possums from Belthax IV?

AJ_Impy posted:

Good news everyone! Cryomagsnails now roam the icecaps, striping it and releasing toxic fumes into the air, that we had just cleared of stink! Wait, is that good news? Oh well, they are very cute in their own, slimy and also hairy way.
But there was a complication! The Gengineers got your other orders a bit mixed up... now the Sulphicecaps are littered with with Pusbearers, adorable little hoarding ursachnids that grow fat of off the toxic ice-sands, laying their young in atsacks protected from predators and curious critters alike by conical protrusions crafted from their sticky slime, left-over coral and surface sulfides!

Normally, you couldn't tell such a structure apart from a regular sulphite-dune, but luckily [7 Epislon Petal Fracture] from the Spatial Intermittence Department had a spare spectralyzer, letting us get a more intimate view.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Well tell them to fix it before we feed them to the pusbears for incompetence!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
:syoon:

:byobear:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Good news everyone! Cryomagsnails now roam the icecaps, striping it and releasing toxic fumes into the air, that we had just cleared of stink! Wait, is that good news? Oh well, they are very cute in their own, slimy and also hairy way.

I have something for that, I checked some of our records and found some samples of this old worklemur! A Toxofungo! It is a variable size mushroom that absorbs many kinds of both air and ground toxins to grow, although they never grow too close to one another for some reason. The more toxins, the bigger they grow! Taking in account the stench of this planet and the sulphur everywhere, they should become very big!
This should even be useful for our future sentients, since they could use the fungal stipe much like wood is used in many civilizations!

*Should be noted, Toxofungos are, however, restricted in certain civilizations due to their capacity to refine poison! If used on sustances more toxic than suplhates it will not only grow larger but refine the poison in its core!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Hello designers, the Skorcerers have now eaten enough of the canopy that we can send a probe down. Let's see what is up!

Uh oh designers! A Complication!!!
Looks like we have a case of rampancy going on! The Moonschrooms have, under the cover of darkness, spread over the entire surface of Vega-4! They even infected the Crabby Longlegs Now not even dinosaurs will help! And we can't get to the Planetary Fire Storm Machine we oh so conveniently installed in a previous age because, surprise, it's covered in moonschrooms.

Uh. Don't worry! We'll think of something...

Tell you what, let's go hog wild! Regular dinosaurs won't help, but I'm willing to bet those moonschrooms never encountered gigavolved dinochimeras before! Give me your best dinosaur hybrid ideas and let's see what the gengineers come up with, then we send the best few down planetside to wage a war of extinction until we can reset this mess! It's the only way that isn't boring!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Diplodocus + Giganotosaurus. Boom, big eater X10

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Let's do something fun. The largest Pterosaur was the Quetzalcoatlus, with an 11 meter wingspan! Let's do some mad science and splice it with our Swinesoars, who adapted to eat the shrooms on our last visit. This should lead to a bigger, hungrier, flying-ier Quetswinecoatl!, Who should be able to work alongside other herbivorous megadinos.

Tho I would REQUEST someone makes at least one able predator so we don't end up eating all the herb life.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Only the finest of modern day dinos are acceptable here: Spoonbill + Peacock for a truly magnificent saur

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Corvids and Spinosaurus. Go anywhere, massive near-eusocial genius intellects

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Hey designers! We got a fresh batch of chimerosaurs ready to go, but which one should go where?
We need one to fight through the Crabby Longlegs guarding the perimeter, one to chew through the thick moonschroom outer layer, one to lead the charge through the goey interior and finally one to reach and ideally press the button for us. Imagine the tedium of having to do that ourselves, hahaha!

First up we have the Diplodofus - the worlds friendliest giant monster. Weighing in at roughly 11 cubic units defined as "length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1299 792 458'ths of the time duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the fundamental unperturbed ground-state of the caesium-133 atom" of a pure liquid-state hydrogen dioxide mixture, this anacrhonistic blunderbeast is sure to make short work of anything foolish enough to come within hugging distance, which is comically short on account of its adorable, stunted arms.

Second up, the Quetswinezoatl - making up in sheer wingforce what it lacks in brainpower. Because the gengineers couldn't figure out how to get enough blood up that ridiculous neck to cool anything bigger than a belusian franglecone.

Our third candidate, the Peabill, is... what i'm trying to say Designers is that... it's... it has... I mean, just look. It's pretty confusing. I'm sure that is a survival tactic on some world? Why not. think it'll eat anything, but it will probably waste a bunch of time trying to impress it first.

Lastly we have the Spinnydae. A combination of S-tier prefabs with the drawbacks of neither, this critter is able to dive, crawl, fly, climb and dig whilst still being intelligent enough for tool use, If it wasn't for the nature of our business, this thing would be a candidate for Universal Apex. So we made sure to only make one of them. Don't want some planet spanning monoculture now do we! Again. >_>

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Chief, the Peabill is obviously the best candidate for pushing the button! It has the charisma and beauty to push that button while looking great for our clients auditing team's time cameras. Itll give us some cover on this whole situation as a PR stunt instead of an oopsy. The tail is also pretty enough to charm any would be predator into not attacking it, ensuring the mission success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Slaan posted:

Chief, the Peabill is obviously the best candidate for pushing the button! It has the charisma and beauty to push that button while looking great for our clients auditing team's time cameras. Itll give us some cover on this whole situation as a PR stunt instead of an oopsy. The tail is also pretty enough to charm any would be predator into not attacking it, ensuring the mission success

With this, the Diplodoofus can hug the Crabby Longlegs' legs off, the Quetswinezoatle can chew through the outer shell of Moonschroom and our Spinnydae can help open a way through the gooey path, even fight off anything that may lay under the 'schroom