Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Edit: A quick note on the Oilers. I know their missing a bunch of defensemen, but beyond McD and Drai and sometimes Nuge this team isn't very good. I know earlier in the season I said I wasn't a believer and they hadn't played particularly tough comp and after watching them last night I'm even less of a believer right now. Their 'system' is to hope McDavid or Drai does something incredible and it ends in a goal. Which is a decent enough strategy they are that good, but come playoff time they're going to get sunk again by lack of depth and having the rest of the team get curb stomped when McDavid isn't on the ice.
They're not as good as their record, but the first 40 minutes of last night's game were some of the worst they'd played all season. Their defence when healthy has been... adequate, and the goaltending has been surprisingly good so far this year especially with Smith's injury.

I don't think they're deep enough to go on a long run, but they could feasibly get through a couple of rounds because McDrai makes up for their replacement level bottom six and then some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The thing that a lot of Oilers fans on twitter are dispirited about is that this is a team that has quite clearly hit their maximum level of performance, with basically no potential to improve over where they stand as a roster right now. As others have said, where they stand now is a top 4 team in a bad conference, but outside of the teams that you would pick as really solid contenders for the Stanley Cup. Edmonton is kind of in that 2nd tier where in the playoffs they'll basically go as far as their goaltenders take them, so hopefully Mike Smith has a good year in April this time!

When they played Dallas it was pointed out on the broadcast that the Oilers have something like the 4th or 5th oldest team in the league.. In a lot of ways they are in a very similar position to Dallas (the oldest team in the league), in that the farm system is pretty barren of guys who make any sort of impact at the NHL level, the management and coaching staff seems to value way past their prime veterans at key positions, and it's not clear at all if the goaltending is actually any good or if the 3 or 4 guys at the forward position who carry the water when it comes to scoring can make up for the horrendous depth.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I’d be surprised that no ones mentioned the NHL scoring leaders for the month of November Minnesota Wild, but east coast media and whatever.

Honestly, this is just so much fun to watch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

I’d be surprised that no ones mentioned the NHL scoring leaders for the month of November Minnesota Wild, but east coast media and whatever.

Minnesota Wild? I thought they moved to Dallas. Huh.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
THERE IS A SLIM CHANCE OF A BEER LEAGUER PLAYING AN NHL GAME TONIGHT PEOPLE

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/32772086/st-louis-blues-add-emergency-goalie-jordan-binnington-enters-covid-19-protocol

"He had a morning skate today with his beer league guys and he said he was on fire and ready to go, so we're excited to have him in here," Armstrong said.

give him the loving start doug, lets do ths thing

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jhet posted:

It's because we hate them and think you're ugly.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

bewbies posted:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/32772086/st-louis-blues-add-emergency-goalie-jordan-binnington-enters-covid-19-protocol

"He had a morning skate today with his beer league guys and he said he was on fire and ready to go, so we're excited to have him in here," Armstrong said.

not only that, because of weird cap rules the Blues are required to dress a beer-leaguer tonight. (the Blues are up against the cap and already using LTIR, and as such have to use an "emergency exception" rule to call up Charlie Lindgren from SpringyMA. HOWEVER, in order to use that rule, a team has to play at least one game with an EBUG, meaning that a 23-year-old graphic designer who played Tier III against a team that I did play-by-play for at the time gets to be on the bench tonight.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

gently caress that. I don't like taking the opening faceoff in beer league, I get too nervous. If I won the "dress for an NHL team" lottery and they tried to put me out there for an NHL game I'd barf all over the ice.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I would allow 10 goals and be proud of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A cool team would just let their non NHL goalie start, like Ottawa and Boston and Philly and

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

I thought Binnington was in COVID protocol?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bewbies posted:

Rearrange the schedule and have beer leaguer vs. beer leaguer between STL and CBJ.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Aphrodite posted:

:yeah:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Any other bigtime Rem Pitlick fans out there?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

You’re probably right, but the referees are blind anyway.

eXXon posted:

Any other bigtime Rem Pitlick fans out there?

He played reasonably well in his time at UMN, but I don’t know that he has much of a fan base yet. He’s been okay, and he moves with speed still, so by the time he’s 28 they’ll move him to Pittsburgh to play on the second line.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Starsfan posted:

The thing that a lot of Oilers fans on twitter are dispirited about is that this is a team that has quite clearly hit their maximum level of performance, with basically no potential to improve over where they stand as a roster right now. As others have said, where they stand now is a top 4 team in a bad conference, but outside of the teams that you would pick as really solid contenders for the Stanley Cup. Edmonton is kind of in that 2nd tier where in the playoffs they'll basically go as far as their goaltenders take them, so hopefully Mike Smith has a good year in April this time!

When they played Dallas it was pointed out on the broadcast that the Oilers have something like the 4th or 5th oldest team in the league.. In a lot of ways they are in a very similar position to Dallas (the oldest team in the league), in that the farm system is pretty barren of guys who make any sort of impact at the NHL level, the management and coaching staff seems to value way past their prime veterans at key positions, and it's not clear at all if the goaltending is actually any good or if the 3 or 4 guys at the forward position who carry the water when it comes to scoring can make up for the horrendous depth.

Yeah, but that goalie can get hot baby!

Also, yeah, the Stars are totally putting up 35+ and getting shut out tonight.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/SaraCivian/status/1466549854067470338?s=20
This is impressively bad

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

April 1 already?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

One star for each banner they hung for almost making the Stanley Cup final

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
i kinda like it. it's certainly different than jerseys we've seen before

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't like it at all but it's cool to try new things.

Get rid of the SMASHVILLE text and it'd be a pretty good jersey.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Lmao the lightning one looks like those 90s shark tooth SnapBack hats. I can’t even bring myself to link it.

https://twitter.com/ShopTBSports/status/1466528351066099713?s=20

Wonderllama fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 3, 2021

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
The bones of that Nashville jersey are solid: great colors, nice design, but that SMASHVILLE, ugh.

But that lightning one? Chef's kiss.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

I am not a fan, but I can see this becoming a cult item thing.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

What the gently caress is up with the size of that second “s”? All of the letter look like they are different sizes.

Everything is so awkward, look at the captains “c” too

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the nhl better put the other 6 dragon balls on jerseys

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jhet posted:

Fine, I'll say it -- Kaprizov is good.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Caps loving suck at overtime and shootouts this year.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The stadium series logo is actually pretty good, so what the gently caress happened with those godawful jerseys?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Those jerseys are fun. The NHL should do more fun stuff. Everyone rolled their eyes at the 90s logos at the time but now they're hot collectors items. Not every jersey needs to be an all-time classic piece. Doing something different and memorable for a dumb outdoor game is what the NHL needs more of.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Cartoon Man posted:

Caps loving suck at overtime and shootouts this year.

Habs suck at everything

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/ManGamesLostNHL/status/1466549741668470788?s=20

Anderson is now going to miss 2-4 weeks and Gally and Niku are out with covid too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Those are the ugliest jerseys since the Buffalo third with the cape

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Dumb jerseys are great, if nothing else they drive content by everyone posting previous dumb jerseys.

Also this is excellent.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Capital_Gains65/status/1466597020848771073

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

MononcQc posted:

https://twitter.com/ManGamesLostNHL/status/1466549741668470788?s=20

Anderson is now going to miss 2-4 weeks and Gally and Niku are out with covid too.

The only way the bubble size meaning "quality of players" to make sense based on that graph is if they just measure player quality in cap hit, which they should just say cap hit if that's what they're doing.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

VOTE1 posted:

Dumb jerseys are great, if nothing else they drive content by everyone posting previous dumb jerseys.

Also this is excellent.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Capital_Gains65/status/1466597020848771073

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/977564370640158721?s=21

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I hate you Nashville.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

fermun posted:

The only way the bubble size meaning "quality of players" to make sense based on that graph is if they just measure player quality in cap hit, which they should just say cap hit if that's what they're doing.

yeah maybe it's my crappy eyesight, but to me those bubbles all look pretty much exactly the same size as one another..

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

eXXon posted:

The stadium series logo is actually pretty good, so what the gently caress happened with those godawful jerseys?

This says "Nastyville".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

WeaponX posted:

What the gently caress is up with the size of that second “s”? All of the letter look like they are different sizes.

Everything is so awkward, look at the captains “c” too

They’re taking inspiration from quick cheap letterpress show posters, low-budget printing houses would lose letters from their type cabinets to time/degradation and also mix different styles of lettering together for spacing/decorative purposes. Like this, which isn’t vintage but is pulling off the style better:

The problem is on a jersey you can’t show the damage to the letters or the spatter of ink coverage, and the rest of the elements crowd the letters to the point where it’s difficult to discern the differences immediately so it seems like a surprise instead of a conscious decision.