Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Wikipedia says 90% of the population is right handed. If we have only two hands, why isn't it 50%?

Oh yeah, and for a good period of time (ages 8-17) most of my birthday/Christmas presents were "lefty themed," like the Big Book of Famous Lefties, or Inspirational Stories for the Left-Handed Loner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I jack it with my right but pretty much do everything with my left, am I good to post in here?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Wikipedia says 90% of the population is right handed. If we have only two hands, why isn't it 50%?

They used to kill us the minute left handedness popped up and it’s been removed from the bloodline.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Write left shoot bow left, kick right though bat right throw right unless it’s darts or frisbee then left. Guitar right but yeah fretting with dominant hand seems better anyway.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Write left, throw left, but I throw frisbees right and bowl right. Hockey left, bat left, golf left, but tennis right and kick right.

Scissors right, shoot right but I think hold a bow left? I mouse right, and hold a fork in my left hand and use a knife in the right and don’t switch.

I consider myself a lefty but looking at that list it sure doesn’t seem like it!

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

I'm left-handed but can do almost everything with both. Often I switch without noticing. Sometimes at work I will randomly start trying to use a mouse with my left hand, touchpad on a laptop I use both. With how often I switch hands without thinking about it I would think I was ambidextrous, except my handwriting with my right hand is bullshit.

My grandma is left-handed but back in the 40s or whatever they made her use her right hand because being left-handed was bad, so now her handwriting is terrible with either. I'm glad I didn't have to put up with that, though for some reason my primary school teacher was an rear end in a top hat about me doing sports stuff left handed (that said, she was generally mean to pretty much every kid who wasn't naturally athletic so I think she was just a huge rear end in a top hat in general). My handwriting itself isn't bad but the ink smudging along my hand annoys the poo poo out of me to this day, and I always have paper tilted at such a weird angle when I write that people sometimes ask me what the gently caress I'm doing.

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.
I am the only lefty in my entire family. Even all of my kids are right handed. Every day I am surrounded by right handed people doing things right handedly and every time I think to myself, "Wow! These right handers look like idiots writing/cutting/using tools/drawing etc!"

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Roobanguy posted:

im a lefty with everything but computer mouses and scissors.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I am:

Left Handed
Left Footed
Ride Goofy

and I push MONGO :blastu:

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Lurk Ethic posted:

I'm a lefty when spanking it and need to scroll through a video to get to the juicy bits

Same. Also I eat left handed for the same reason, and that includes eating with chopsticks--which I can't do right handed. I also pipet left handed so I can write notes at the same time. I'm definitely a natural righty but I seem to have the same mixed handedness a lot of lefties itt have.

I think some people are just more pliant in their handedness than others.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
You don't have to live a sinister lifestyle. Jesus loves you and wants you to sit at his right side and use your right hand. It's coded into our language as a gift from God to help us lead a good life.

My ministry works with people currently struggling with a desire for their left hand to dominate. Do not br afraid to reach out, we can help you.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Poasty posted:

One of my least favourite and also favourite things about being left handed is when right handed people notice and are like "YOU'RE LEFT HANDED!!" as if we didn't already know
I like that because I'm a sucker for attention

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

You don't have to live a sinister lifestyle. Jesus loves you and wants you to sit at his right side and use your right hand. It's coded into our language as a gift from God to help us lead a good life.

My ministry works with people currently struggling with a desire for their left hand to dominate. Do not br afraid to reach out, we can help you.

that awkward moment when you're seated at the right hand of the Father and your elbows bump while you tryin a eat

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

YeahTubaMike posted:

edit: a question for left-handed mousers -- do you switch the buttons?

I just recently did this and, after a really short period of adjustment, feel set free to click with the eagles.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I can trackpad with either but end up using my right far more often since all the useful keyboard shortcuts are on the left hand. At least page up and page down are convenient.

Also I throw equally terribly with either hand now because I tried to switch from my right (because I threw so bad)

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Left-handed gang tag when?

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I pretty much do everything with my left hand but write. My preschool teacher outlawed me using my left hand so I can no longer write with it.

Ive never had a problem with using regular scissors and I use a mouse with my right hand. When I tried to play guitar I played it right handed and I can swing a bat on both sides but can only swing a golf club with my left.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I eat left handed. I write left handed. I throw right handed. I hit right handed. I golf right handed and play hockey right handed. Those last three make sense to me though because even though I'm doing them right handed my left hand is the dominant hand (for control) on the bat/stick/club. I don't really get why I throw right handed but there it is.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I bought a left handed trackball for my main computer setup, and I've never looked back. Though, I still have a regular mouse plugged in on the right of side of my keyboard for when my right hand muscle memory kicks in with certain applications.

I know people who were forced to write with their right hands despite being naturally left handed, and it sounds pretty awful. :( My handwriting is passable, and I've started figuring out how I need to slant paper to keep things comfortable for me while writing.

One thing I'm not sure has something to do with my left handedness or not is that I can't figure out which foot is my dominant one. So when I kick balls (heh), I switch from my left to right foot. It's super strange to me, at least.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I change gear with my left hand but thats probably just because I live in the uk.

I was always told off for my bad manners in eating the wrong way round so i suppose i've experienced a little of the lefties plight there.

I remember playing pool left handed.

Bought a new circular saw the other day and couldn't get on with it, realised its the other way round to my old one, dunno if thats a left/right hand thing or what as theres no indication on the saw that you can buy both.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
For anything fine motor skills I'm left-handed: writing, eating, air guitar. For sports I'm right handed: real guitar, batting, snowboarding, jerking off, etc.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Over ten years ago I freaked out my great aunt by using chopsticks with my left hand. She was trying to fix the position that I rested them on the table and it took my mom a bit to explain that I was left handed.

Anyways whatup left-handed chopstick users.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

the entire world is built against me

that paper my 5th grade teacher gave me so my 5 paragraph essays didnt smudge against the scrutiny of my peers

world is a gently caress

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I am left-side dominant for pretty much everything except I'm right-footed. Even more fun is pre-LASIK my left (dominant) eye was worse (-10.75) than my right eye (-10.50).

I play musical instruments regular.

We should talk about famous left-handed people. Since it's Christmas we should recognize Bruce Willis is left-handed.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Fartington Butts posted:

Over ten years ago I freaked out my great aunt by using chopsticks with my left hand. She was trying to fix the position that I rested them on the table and it took my mom a bit to explain that I was left handed.

Anyways whatup left-handed chopstick users.

I also chopstick left-handed. I tried using my right-hand one day at lunch, and everyone was worried I didn't know how to use them.
There are multiple ways to chop a stick, and I can do them all. Sometimes I'll use three sticks at once as a display of raw sinisterity.

Also, someone asked about eyes before: I am right-eye dominant. I also tend to kick with my right foot I think.
Also snowboard goofy-footed, which is a great name for it.
I'm slowly self-learning ukulele, and wondering if I want to take the opportunity to be left-handed here or make things easier for myself and go with the standard...

I don't understand people who tug with their dominant hand - do you pause every time you need to use the mouse?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Learning arabic was a revelation and the only time I've actually had someone compliment me on my otherwise awful handwriting.

Did fencing for a long rear end time and it's always so funny to see less experienced righties completely baffled that their correct technique isn't working at all. Meanwhile us lefties who've been doing everything wrong from the start are just used to things being sort of stupid. But of course fencing other lefties, gently caress that.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Shadow0 posted:

I don't understand people who tug with their dominant hand - do you pause every time you need to use the mouse?

Purely assumption on my part, but I think a lot of lefties use mice right handed? For me at least it never felt weird and it facilitates being able to still use my left hand to tug, take notes, etc.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Poasty posted:

If you were playing baseball and everything was the same except you had to round the bases counter clockwise, every infielder would have to be left handed to maximise efficiency

Both of my sons have now played baseball well into college and my daughter plays high school softball. They all started playing at five or six years old. To this day my wife does not understand why the left handed kids, one of my sons included, never get to play 3B or SS. It’s like she just refuses to understand. :negative:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I'm left-handed with everything except drawing a bow, which I do right-handed. I shoot a gun left-handed, and am left-eye dominant. This makes my archery particularly bad if I don't just guess to compensate otherwise I shoot across all the targets.

I use my computer mouse in my right hand, but that's got the benefit that I can touch type better one-handed with my left hand so poo poo-talking in games is easier.

I use a fork in my left hand and knife in my right, but I keep my glass on the left side of my plate. Swapping hands for cutlery is such a weird seppo thing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Both of my sons have now played baseball well into college and my daughter plays high school softball. They all started playing at five or six years old. To this day my wife does not understand why the left handed kids, one of my sons included, never get to play 3B or SS. It’s like she just refuses to understand. :negative:

Being left-handed as a 1st baseman is an incredible advantage as your right hand has the glove & you can naturally stretch out easier to catch a ball with your left foot on the base to tag out runners. It does help a lot more if the pitcher is also left-handed so you can have a really quick pick-off on a base stealer.

On the other hand, I hate the shift defenses use on a power left-handed batter. I get that it's still in the rules and the obvious move is to bunt along the 3rd base line at the exposed gap, but the old adage is true…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLECMCargd8

:ninja: edit: oh I misread your statement.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm watching Don't Look Up and seeing Jennifer Lawrence sign a contract with her left hand means she's one of us.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't know if this is too forward, but I love watching left handers drag their hands across the page. There's something sensual about it. Watching the sinister hand flex it's dexterity, oh my it gets me worked up.

One of the few good uses for reddit in my opinion is following r/lefthandedsluts for all my hot media of the left handers I am so thoroughly turned on for.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

My people :)

BIG RIGHT

I am hilariously left-handed with everything except for playing guitar. I taught myself to play left-handed and it was my dad who told me my dominant hand should be on the fretboard. By Jove, he was right :pirate: I’m even left-eye dominant and left-footed.

I get compliments constantly on how clean and appealing my penmanship is. Some have even called it feminine even though I’m a dude. I don’t see it, but okay. I never got how other lefties couldn’t use standard scissors correctly because I figured it out the first time I used them (in kindergarten). Just apply opposite pressure with your thumb to make them cut cleanly, and cut at a 45 degree angle so you can see what you’re cutting. I bought a pair of left-handed scissors and can’t use them because My muscle memory is trained to use standard scissors and they won’t cut :lol:

I really hate people who want to be special by saying “I’m ambidextrous!! :dumb:” No. Just… no. To be ambidextrous means you’re adept at using both hands for literally everything equally and without struggles. Just because you’re right-handed, but you scratch your itchy taint with your left hand or you pick your boogers and earwax with your left pinky does not automatically make you ambidextrous. Yes, even that party trick where you’ve taught yourself to write with both hands at the same time does not make you ambidextrous (because you’re probably still considered a lefty or a righty). The term you’re looking for is ‘mixed-handed.’ Only one percent of the world’s population is truly ambidextrous, and you are most likely not in that percentage.

Almost forgot, I can mouse either left or right-handed. I mouse lefty at home (because I used to have a Wacom tablet) and it stuck, but I can use other people’s righty mice and have moused far longer righty than lefty.

i dont give a gently caress

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Hell Yeah posted:

i dont give a gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KhQ1ut6cV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoXniP8kldY

Note: Tupac was right handed.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Alucard posted:

Anyone else here cross-dominant for eye and hand? Left handed but right eye dominant, so I am useless when doing target practice with rifles.

Same, have considered learning it right handed but for now just close my dominant eye with rifles.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m left handed too!! Hi friends.

One of the subtly right handed things I don’t like is snap blade utility knives. I mean what’s the deal with those things??

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6exw6xT0oo

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I'm predominantly left handed, but I use scissors and throw with my right. I'm thinking of switching writing to my right hand so I don't smudge my writing, but I also barely write, so why bother?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Traitor

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Is anyone gonna post some sexy ungloved pica of them doing things with their left hand? Idunno, just think it'd be super hot. Just slowly using a pencil to sketch, that sinister movement both terrifying and erotic. Goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Snowy posted:

Traitor

In this case I'd rather work with the world instead of against it. As the saying goes, "If you can't beat 'em, join em!" -Bugs Bunny