Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Not the comparison I’d expect to make, but Stetson has some real Timothee Chalamet energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Pandemic has broken me. Sad Bama fans barely brought an hour of enjoyment.

Athletic has its "far too early" Top 25:
  1. Bama
  2. Ohio State
  3. Georgia
  4. Utah?!
  5. Notre Dame
  6. Fighting Jimbos
  7. Michigan
  8. Clemson
  9. NCST
  10. Michigan State
  11. Pitt
  12. Baylor
  13. Tennessee
  14. OKState
  15. Wake
  16. Oregon
  17. Arkansas
  18. Goldy
  19. Bucky
  20. Cincinnati
  21. Kentucky
  22. Houston
  23. Iowa
  24. Kansas State
  25. Oklahoma

With thanks for coming outs to: BYU, Ole Miss, LSU, Coastal Carolina, Mississippi State

Remember when Penn State locked James Franklin up for a decade?:allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“Good morning America? that’s at like noon right?

gently caress”

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

hobbesmaster posted:

“Good morning America? that’s at like noon right?

gently caress”

The best summation I saw was this

https://twitter.com/rodger/status/1480916133121253380?s=21

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A 15 point loss being your second worse loss as a coach over a decade plus might be one of the most dominating stat lines I've ever heard.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Enjoy it Dawgs. I feel my prediction was right, Bama's Oline wasn't up for it compared to the SECCG and Georgia was able to pull it out. Bama missing the entirety of their passing game threats certainly made it easier, but Georgia was murdering their oline in the second half and they kept it from being out of reach, felt good at the half they'd pull it out just about as they did.

Flukey turnovers are always fun tho. That stetson fumble is a 50/50 imo. if the ref calls it incomplete on the field it would have stood, but I think he did right by philosophy to let it play out, then it just kinda is what it is being that tight of a play.

Cautiously optimistic about the future decentness of both the Vols and Hokies. Kinda nice after the last few years.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 11, 2022

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Komet posted:

This season sucked and this might be the first time I have no optimism for next season. Sean Clifford loving sucks, and this is a 6 or 7 win team as long as he's the starter.

Maybe he'll get hurt!

Although that didn't help last year?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Stetson's fumble on the first Georgia drive where it bounced right back to him is something I just remembered.

That coulda been a big deal if Bama just went up 10-0 5 minutes in or whatever.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Would have loved to see this game with everyone healthy, but that’s football for you. Question for the room, and this isn’t sour grapes and forth, if Metchie/Williams/that OLine Center were in play what would have been the likely outcome? Regardless good for GA and Kirby.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Apparently one of Stetson's grandfathers was a Gamecock quarterback in the late 50s, and also played in an upset of Georgia that prevented UGA from having an undefeated season and possible natty claim. Fun trivia there.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Warbird posted:

Would have loved to see this game with everyone healthy, but that’s football for you. Question for the room, and this isn’t sour grapes and forth, if Metchie/Williams/that OLine Center were in play what would have been the likely outcome? Regardless good for GA and Kirby.

Secondary was the weakest part of the UGA defense. They started with a ton of quick passes in space to force us to move laterally while not allowing time for the pocket to collapse. I think it’s still 50/50, but who knows. Alabama was in UGA’s 30 6 times and only came away with one touchdown, I have to think it gets better with both the starting WRs in the lineup.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Paracaidas posted:

Pandemic has broken me. Sad Bama fans barely brought an hour of enjoyment.

Athletic has its "far too early" Top 25:
  1. Bama
  2. Ohio State
  3. Georgia
  4. Utah?!
  5. Notre Dame
  6. Fighting Jimbos
  7. Michigan
  8. Clemson
  9. NCST
  10. Michigan State
  11. Pitt
  12. Baylor
  13. Tennessee
  14. OKState
  15. Wake
  16. Oregon
  17. Arkansas
  18. Goldy
  19. Bucky
  20. Cincinnati
  21. Kentucky
  22. Houston
  23. Iowa
  24. Kansas State
  25. Oklahoma

With thanks for coming outs to: BYU, Ole Miss, LSU, Coastal Carolina, Mississippi State

Ok State at 14 is way too optimistic

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Top 10 NC State!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Are the Gators even a top 75 team

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

boop the snoot posted:

Not for awhile.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

They'll be fine, Clifford just sucks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
oregon at 16 feels... optimistic

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

A 15 point loss being your second worse loss as a coach over a decade plus might be one of the most dominating stat lines I've ever heard.

James Cook's 67-yard scamper was the longest run on Bama since Nick Chubb in the Mark Richt Gets Fired in the Rain game in 2015. Again, nuts.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the margin would’ve been wider without the horseshit fumble call

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm sure that over the last decade or more (gently caress it's almost like 15 years at this point) of Alabama dominance, that last night's fumble is the only time that Alabama has had something break their way. Good point.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i could have sworn Utah beat them by more in the Sugar Bowl but no, 31-17 vs 33-18

i think i remember it being more dominant because of Utah getting out to a 21-0 lead in the first quarter

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

boop the snoot posted:

They're a middling team. I don't think that Napier's play calling is going to be a panacea for the program's ills, and patching a blue chip roster together (if he can do it) takes years.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

tennessee being 13 on that ranking says more about the state of NCAA football than it could ever say about the vols

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Blue Raider posted:

tennessee being 13 on that ranking says more about the state of NCAA football than it could ever say about the vols

A UT must be ranked top 25. Honor demands it.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Blurbs? Blurbs. Blurbs!

Blue Raider posted:

Apparently he really likes the offensive skill:
"Standout QB Hendon Hooker put off the NFL to lead Josh Heupel’s explosive offense for another season. He’ll be joined by top WR Cedric Tillman and top RB Jabari Small. Wyoming transfer Isaiah Neyor (44 catches, 878 yards, 12 TDs) joins what should be a deep receiver group. Linebackers Jeremy Banks and Aaron Beasley and S Trevon Flowers lead an otherwise young defense. Heupel should be on the market for a transfer cornerback."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oregon at 16 feels... optimistic
I see you forgot Bo Nix. Alternatively, you remember Bo better than he does:
"New coach Dan Lanning plucked veteran Auburn QB Bo Nix from the portal. The Ducks should bring back a veteran O-line and boast several promising young receivers in Kris Hutson, Troy Franklin and Dont’e Thornton. Injuries decimated a talented defense in 2021. Healthy LB Justin Flowe and DB Bennett Williams could be two of their best players, joining LB Noah Sewell and DE Bradyn Swinson. The secondary must reload."

Chucktesla posted:

One of the ones I really noticed too. A lot of turnover on D and I'm never big on betting on nonelite P5 schools having year to year growth at skill positions:
"The nation’s No. 5 defense loses DC Jim Knowles and stalwarts like linebackers Malcolm Rodriguez and Devin Harper and S Kolby-Harvell Peel. But DE Brock Martin is staying, joining freshman standout Collin Oliver and Tyler Lacy. Quarterback Spencer Sanders will be a fourth-year starter. The Cowboys lose their top WR (Tay Martin) and RB (Jaylen Warren), but WR Brennan Presley has shined. Junior college OT Tyrone Webber should help."

Henchman of Santa posted:

Top 10 NC State!
This one feels more valid:
"Devin Leary (3,433 yards, 35 TDs, 5 INTs) could be one of the top quarterbacks in the sport next season. New running backs will need to emerge, with the Wolfpack losing Zonovan Knight and Ricky Person Jr. However, the ACC’s No. 2 defense could bring back nearly the entire starting lineup, led by four All-ACC players: LB Drake Thomas, DT Cory Durden, S Tanner Ingle and LB Payton Wilson, who missed most of this past season."

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

They're a middling team. I don't think that Napier's play calling is going to be a panacea for the program's ills, and patching a blue chip roster together (if he can do it) takes years.

I *think* within a year or two and some portal work he can start bridging the talent gap and just being smart on offense and competent on defense will cure a lot of the shortcomings we’ve been dealing with.

Especially on defense, good god.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Chucktesla posted:

With Sanders still qb and the turnover on defense, I completely agree. Was wild this year seeing the pokes not collapse in the 2nd half of every game this year

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

LLCoolJD posted:

patching a blue chip roster together (if he can do it) takes years.

Not anymore. Start waving NIL money and open competition for starting spots and it can be done practically overnight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like that poll was just randomly generated

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don't have much experience directly with Florida boosters but they definitely would've balked at the idea of forking over NIL money a decade ago.

Maybe things have changed.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like that poll was just randomly generated

They looked at the final rankings of this year, looked at which schools are bringing back their head coach and quarterback, pegged ND at 5, and went from there

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

the margin would’ve been wider without the horseshit fumble call

tbf if that's an incompletion, then Georgia's about to punt from the shadow of its own endzone up 1. Having to move the ball at the very end, instead of getting conservative holding onto a lead, might've been a godsend for the UGA offense. (seeing how Bama's D looked like it was on its last legs)

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 11, 2022

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fifty Three posted:

They'll be fine, Clifford just sucks.

I'm certain that 2021 would have been a very different year if literally anyone else had been put in after just one quarter of the Roberson Experience at Iowa.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Dawgs Bitch

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Paracaidas posted:

I see you forgot Bo Nix. Alternatively, you remember Bo better than he does:
"New coach Dan Lanning plucked veteran Auburn QB Bo Nix from the portal. The Ducks should bring back a veteran O-line and boast several promising young receivers in Kris Hutson, Troy Franklin and Dont’e Thornton. Injuries decimated a talented defense in 2021. Healthy LB Justin Flowe and DB Bennett Williams could be two of their best players, joining LB Noah Sewell and DE Bradyn Swinson. The secondary must reload."

I got briefly excited about Bo Nix because he is A Name but then I looked at his stats and :yikes:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I got briefly excited about Bo Nix because he is A Name but then I looked at his stats and :yikes:

He's the most frustratingly chaotic player I can think of. Looks like he's completely unplayable often, then he'll run around avoiding the pass rush for like 10 seconds before throwing a beautiful pass to someone deep.

You can always imagine him being good because of that second part, then he'll just throw it up into triple coverage for no reason the next play.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
lol ranking Tennessee at all. Like I think we'll have a good year next year but basically saying there's only 12 teams better than us looooool

We'll 100% go into the Florida game 3-0 and ranked and promptly get stomped into a mud hole. I know Florida is down bad but I'll never call that game a win until it happens.

e: lol we play Florida LSU and Bama back to back

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

PBCrunch posted:

Not anymore. Start waving NIL money and open competition for starting spots and it can be done practically overnight.

So A&M and Texas are going to alternate for titles. :emo:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

He was three years of rear end against Georgia, but thankfully Oregon doesn't have to play UGA or anyth---

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

D.N. Nation posted:

He was three years of rear end against Georgia, but thankfully Oregon doesn't have to play UGA or anyth---

The fans who are pro-Nix believe having a QB who has played against UGA will at least mean he won't be a deer in headlights like one of the unproven sophomores behind him, which I can see. They also think going against Pac 12 defenses will automatically mean his stats get much better, which I'm more hesitant on.

Overall, almost certainly an upgrade from Anthony Brown but I wish Oregon had waited a bit to see who else portaled instead of jumping on Nix.