Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Best Breakfast Potato Dish
Hash Browns
Home Fries
Skillet Potatoes or some other regional dish that no one has really heard of
View Results

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Aren't jojos specifically fried in one of those pressure friers, and potato wedges are just baked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I once had sweet potato tots with cinnamon butter dip and it was transcendent

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
HAVE EGG

OVER EASY

EGG FOR DIPPY DIPPS

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I love how many people are like "hurr this is how we had it in my tiny unimportant town, or my tiny unimportant house, and therefore I can't conceive of a reason anyone would have it differently".

Y'all have bought into the Big Potato Conspiracy. Potatoes exist in more forms than we can ever conceive of at once and by ignoring their potential we are limiting ourselves as the beings of light and starch we are.

In conclusion, gimme some Tates, gimme some toppings, shove it in my mouth and lemme nap.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i like when you fry the potato in oil

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Yeah that's good

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

:same:

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Potatoes are hella good but I really wish we had different words for each of the 7 types of hash browns, I need a bit more certainty in my life

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trapick posted:

Potatoes are hella good but I really wish we had different words for each of the 7 types of hash browns, I need a bit more certainty in my life

1. Gonsh
2. Nibb
3. Driff
4. Shirp
5. Zury
6. Loitt
7. Fram

I hope this helps the discussion move forward

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Baked potato is better. Set oven to 350-425F depending on size. If big go on lower heat for longer cooking time. Check temperature with a meat thermometer. The goal is 210F internal temp or close.

For small russet potatoes at 425 will take about 50 minutes to reach that perfect temp.

At 325F a huge russet potatoes may take an hour an a half to cook until internal temp is 210-isF.

First, you just have to poke it with a fork, and give it some canola oil or bacon grease all around the scrubbed and dried skin. Just put salt on the potato and cook but remember your meat thermometer: 210 degree Fahrenheit.

You will like to use your own potatoes rather than what Waffle House does to their dehydrated potato hash browns. They just add water and fry the result.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 22, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Ok well. Now you assholes are just talking about potatoes. Good job

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Hash browns by a mile, home fries are almost uniformly soggy and uninspiring

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

That DICK! posted:

anyone wanna tell them what a hash brown is?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
oh so if i have a cake thread you're just going to post pasta in it?? its all wheat water and eggs right? you're violating the spirit of the thread

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Vim Fuego posted:

almost uniformly soggy and uninspiring

I feel personally attacked by this post.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I feel personally attacked by this post.

You're a disgrace to your uniformity

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Bloop posted:

You're a disgrace to your uniformity

I aspire to be hash browns, but only manage to make it to home fries. :negative:

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

No but all potatoes can transform into hash browns, I've figured out the secret, you take a potato, slice/dice/shred/crush/form/mash/bake/boil/whatever, and then fry (deep or pan) it up in some way, and as long as it's in the morning, it's a hash brown. You give me a potato dish I can turn that poo poo into hash browns.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Crusty Nutsack posted:

restaurant: browns

home: fries

:hmmyes:

And I always have a bag of the Ore-Ida frozen potatoes o'brien on hand.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zeluth posted:

Baked potato is better. Set oven to 350-425F depending on size. If big go on lower heat for longer cooking time. Check temperature with a meat thermometer. The goal is 210F internal temp or close.

For small russet potatoes at 425 will take about 50 minutes to reach that perfect temp.

At 325F a huge russet potatoes may take an hour an a half to cook until internal temp is 210-isF.

First, you just have to poke it with a fork, and give it some canola oil or bacon grease all around the scrubbed and dried skin. Just put salt on the potato and cook but remember your meat thermometer: 210 degree Fahrenheit.

You will like to use your own potatoes rather than what Waffle House does to their dehydrated potato hash browns. They just add water and fry the result.

I do it the Alton Brown way.

Coat potato with olive oil and kosher salt (I use other seasonings sometimes), bake for 1 hour on 350F.

2 steps. Done. Perfect every time.

edit:

That DICK! posted:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 22, 2022

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I do it the Alton Brown way.

Coat potato with olive oil and kosher salt (I use other seasonings sometimes), bake for 1 hour on 350F.

2 steps. Done. Perfect every time.

edit:

This guy doesn't like skin to be crunchy or any potato bigger than his nut sack.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Diced with onions peppers spices and sriracha.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Charles Bukowski posted:

Diced with onions peppers spices and sriracha.

Don't forget the various sausages you may partake in. I just got into a jimmy dean tube of hot sausage and flattened with the help of a cast iron pan and freezer paper.

Fold over one sheet of freezer paper over balls of sausage and make it flat and huge. In an air fryer or skillet or oven that mini disc will shrink and crisp over heat.

Nobody mentions the cage-free chickens in this scenario, obviously.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
We're not big breakfast sausage people. The local sausage maker has some drat good sausage so we will have that with brekkie, but mostly our sausages go into the pressure cooker with risotto. Nice hot Italian johnsonvilles cut up and cooked with a nice creamy mushroom risotto. Done in 20 mins and no stirring required.

We do our hash browns in the same style as a great gay breakfast place in New West called Coming Home Cafe. Nice spiced dice that's still moist, moisture is essential for a nice dice hash.

I like doing a full English sometimes for fun, the Mrs got me a breakfast grill pan with the lines and ridges on it for putting some nice grill marks on a decent breakfast sausage or patty.

e: I bought some lil brekkie sausages a few months ago and they were so mushy and gross I ate half of a couple then tossed all of em right in the trash.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Charles Bukowski posted:

our sausages go into the pressure cooker with risotto. Nice hot Italian johnsonvilles cut up and cooked with a nice creamy mushroom risotto. Done in 20 mins and no stirring required.

i need to know more about this please

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hey Noonzio. So I can't swear https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/259455/instant-pot-mushroom-risotto/
Is the exact recipe she uses but it sounds right. Sautéed sausage meat and w/e, put in the other poo poo, pressure cooker magic, bam.

I make tray bakes and rice dishes and poo poo, she's the master with the cast iron and the instant pot.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Charles Bukowski posted:

Hey Noonzio. So I can't swear https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/259455/instant-pot-mushroom-risotto/
Is the exact recipe she uses but it sounds right. Sautéed sausage meat and w/e, put in the other poo poo, pressure cooker magic, bam.

I make tray bakes and rice dishes and poo poo, she's the master with the cast iron and the instant pot.

Gonna try it tonight! :tipshat:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I hope it's good buddy, it's one of the tastiest things she makes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
a lotta yall still dont get it

fry holders can use multiple hash-browns on a single home-fry

so if you have 1 home-fries and 3 hash-browns you can create 3 new home-fries

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

grellgraxer posted:

The correct Waffle House order:

Size: Triple
Options: Smothered, Diced, Peppered

Scattered WELL. no sog allowed.
covered, chunked, diced, peppered

smothered just turns it into some gross frankenlatke

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

tetsuo posted:

Scattered WELL. no sog allowed.
covered, chunked, diced, peppered

smothered just turns it into some gross frankenlatke

I had never heard of scattered well until this thread. Will try that the next time I go to Waffle House. The "covered" option is gross as gently caress though. A slice of American cheese has no place on hash browns.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
That other drunk chef gets the cheese in that video

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

What's it called when you fry up a patty of mashed potatoes? I bet that'd be awesome for a breakfast side.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Is that what a potato pancake is? I do those sometimes, lovely garlic mash patty with a crispy outer layer. Maybe it's more like a pan fried latke? The real ones are really fried and pretty greasy.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Honestly who the gently caress is calling potato wedges 'JoJos' you sound legitimately mentally handicapped or like a two year old.

Fucks sake they're potato wedges.
And to get them not undercooked and so they're fluffy inside and crisp outside you boil them in salted water for about 3-4 minutes before roasting them. I'm sorry the complete mental giants that clearly raised you were incapable of either doing this herculean task or being able to explain it to someone who insisted on calling them 'JoJos' which sounds like you're simultaneously eating crayons while saying it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

Is that what a potato pancake is? I do those sometimes, lovely garlic mash patty with a crispy outer layer. Maybe it's more like a pan fried latke? The real ones are really fried and pretty greasy.

Potato pancakes swing pretty widely from 'leftover mashed potatoes mixed with egg to act as binder' all the way to what are essentially just shredded hash brown patties depending on on the who/what/where of them being made

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Hash browns when they're grated thinly enough that they're crunchy and crispy are pretty godly. On the other hand I just diced up some potatoes and fried them with chorizo and they were an absolute godly hangover breakfast so really who can say what's right

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

Honestly who the gently caress is calling potato wedges 'JoJos' you sound legitimately mentally handicapped or like a two year old.

Fucks sake they're potato wedges.
And to get them not undercooked and so they're fluffy inside and crisp outside you boil them in salted water for about 3-4 minutes before roasting them. I'm sorry the complete mental giants that clearly raised you were incapable of either doing this herculean task or being able to explain it to someone who insisted on calling them 'JoJos' which sounds like you're simultaneously eating crayons while saying it

Maybe it's a Canadian thing angry beef friend. We can em jojos, wedges, wedgies, weedgies, big beef city posting like an angry gen xer, and finally potato wedges. They're good, try them at your local 7-11 with creamy ranch, yum yummy.

e: remind me to ask my buddy Joey Jones Jo Jo Shabbadoo not to come over when you visit next, I predict.. friction.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Chief McHeath posted:

:yeah:

"i'm gonna take these potatoes, cut em up into eighths, then only cook em half way that'll be good" - a loving idiot

There's a gas station close to where I work that sells these chicken tender and jojo combos, and I have a coworker that swears by the chicken. Unironically calling it "best fried chicken in town" (I had it once out of curiosity, it's pretty mediocre, would take grocery store deli food over it for sure). Their jojo's are often as you describe, undercooked in the middle. He gives them away or throws them away and just eats the chicken. However, well done jojos are fantastic, crispy on the outside and some fluffy potato on the inside.

Vim Fuego posted:

Hash browns by a mile, home fries are almost uniformly soggy and uninspiring

Between this post and the one above I think the running theme of this thread is most goons have had a bad experience or two with one variant and a more consistently good experience with another kind so they just say one's good and the other is bad universally. Homestyle hashbrowns should have a nice crispy outside and a fluffy inside like any potato fried in oil, and it's honestly been my experience that these are more consistently done better than the shredded kind cause I feel like they're harder to screw up (also hence why they're more commonly cooked at home).

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Depends on where I'm eating. Some places have better hash browns than home fries, some place are the opposite.

See this goon gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkdaub
Jun 16, 2020
I love hash browns mostly because they are similar to fried potatoes.

1. Fried Potatoes
2. Hash Browns