Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Worf posted:

Conversely if the United States had nuclear bombs in 1938, Pearl harbor never would have happened in 41 and Germany would have probably been a lot more hesitant about attacking Western European allies of the United States lol

The united states was supportive of Germany till pearl harbour you dork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Rebel Blob posted:

Would anime still exist if the bomb was never dropped on Japan? Makes you wonder if the cost was just too much...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Kingo Ligma posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_and_carry_(World_War_II)

yes as you can tell

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I only wish the bombs would have landed upon me, one each directly on my many balls

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I don't really think about it that much op

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
For me it seems precisely as if while we are alive on this earth, each moment is filled to the brim with fathomless horror. And the tragedies that take place daily in people's minds, the unbearable agonies that each individual human being is subjected to- things like these now fester horribly inside me. Is it likely that I can stand up to them, depict them?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nuts and Gum posted:

Wasn’t Japan on the verge of surrendering anyway as the Soviet’s were slaughtering them from the other side?

Or did Oliver Stone lie to me?

No, this is one of those things that self-hating US americans repeat over and over. The japanese government gave about as many fucks about August Storm as it did about the years-long chinese stalemate, the blockade, the regular bombing, and the nukes: they were divided and callously uncaring about the lives of citizens.

Kingo Ligma posted:

The US was actively fighting the Kriegsmarine long before Pearl Harbor but again,

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

They weren't really wrong about me being a dork though

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Kingo Ligma posted:

The people teaching you history have lied to you. There was an America First movement but it fell apart before Pearl Harbor. Lend Lease was effectively helping the British and French before then.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think it's nice that even though we had a big fight once, the US and Japan ended up becoming good friends!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Atom n Steve

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Ah yes, I am sure Americans taught by the American education system have a good and accurate grasp of Americas place in world history

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Kingo Ligma posted:

Ah yes, I am sure Americans taught by the American education system have a good and accurate grasp of Americas place in world history

i bet you're one of those losers who doesn't think easy company won ww2 single handed

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

one word op: absolutely fuckuing epic

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

one word op: absolutely fuckuing epic

Japan blowing up like bidenflation, cities in shambles, haters punching superheated air op

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Honorless H agrees to unconditional surrender, Kamchatka Soviets punching air, Times Square vibe check: EPIC

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
north korea should have been nuked before the soviets got soldiers on the ground

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

all colonizers should have been nuked before they could colonize

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

*Me watching the US nuke Hiroshima and Nagasaki* smdh such a gay rear end Lil noob move lol

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Bad Purchase posted:

Honorless H agrees to unconditional surrender, Kamchatka Soviets punching air, Times Square vibe check: EPIC

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Maybe, just maybe, some of us are a fan of history and read a hell of a lot about it.

It is funny that one of the reasons given for bombing cities was the idea that the citizens would be shocked and demoralized. It never worked except with the atomic bomb. The effects were so fear inspiring that it shook the Japanese government out of their "It would be beautiful if everybody died" mindset.

Hardcore History had a multi part podcast about the mindset of the Imperial Japanese government before and during WWII.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Japan blowing up like bidenflation, cities in shambles, haters punching superheated air op

Bad Purchase posted:

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Kingo Ligma posted:

this post is so edgy that i cut myself just by reading it

Bad Purchase posted:

unfortunately, thus far the only colonizers to be nuked were imperial japan. seems to have worked out tho, so youre probably onto something!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Bad Purchase posted:

My house too?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

especially so

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Bad Purchase posted:

especially so

In that case, I do not support the use of any nuclear weapons.

But the onus is on you to find a better way to vaporize 100k people.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My favorite course at Rutgers was called Literature of the Atomic Bomb. And it was all about Hibakusha authors and their work.

You have to feel for the artists and writers that survived the bombs because you can't touch any other subject for the rest of your life. You have, like, one obligation from that point on.

The Crazy Iris and Other Stories of the Atomic Aftermath was probably the most accessible collection from that class.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nuke me once, shame on you...

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Using nuclear bombs is pretty bad. I guess it saved some of ARE TROOPS though

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

*Me watching the US nuke Hiroshima and Nagasaki* smdh such a gay rear end Lil noob move lol

if i were the united states i'd have simply swagged on them

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Journalist Vern Partlow wrote a song called "Old Man Atom" which was one of the first nuclear protest songs after interviewing a bunch of scientists. He was part of a group of left wing folk singers who were trying to start a movement in the post-WWII US and he was eventually pilloried by the HUAC forcing him to eke out an existence as a publicist. Thank you for reading my post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB-oJLq5rWo

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Deki posted:

I've heard this line but none of the books I've read have put a lot of stock in it, though most of the sources being US or Japanese (from during or after occupation) could certainly introduce a bias towards handwaving that off. Given Japan was still planning on defending their homelands by forcing civillians to be poorly armed conscripts or suicide bombers, and there was still a coup attempt even after 2 bombs were dropped, its hard for me to think there was any realistic peace on the table, at least one that didn't let the IJN/IJA keep their occupied territories.

I'm not even sure how surrendering to Russia would have even mattered, Russia can't unilaterally make the US declare peace after being attacked. Was the idea that Russia would then safeguard Japan and the US would have had to go to war with the Soviets if they wanted to liberate Japanese held territory?

The presumption from the documentary I watched was had the us done nothing Russia was about to crush them anyway and we could have just waited on the sidelines I guess?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No, this is one of those things that self-hating US americans repeat over and over. The japanese government gave about as many fucks about August Storm as it did about the years-long chinese stalemate, the blockade, the regular bombing, and the nukes: they were divided and callously uncaring about the lives of citizens.

The US was actively fighting the Kriegsmarine long before Pearl Harbor but again,

Oliver Stone has lied to me. He is definitely in the self hating American group.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

How exactly would the USSR have been able to invade Japan?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Same way you invade anyplace else, presumably.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

With the old breed is a good memoir about the Pacific campaign

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

pretty embarassing to get nuked, get your poo poo together japan.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
it was necessary to set an example to the communists to NOT gently caress around

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yep, definitely no loving around by communists after 1945

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Japanese surrender that is often touted as "see the Americans dropped the bomb because America is bad" was "America stops attacking us and we get to keep all the territory will still have left, so a lot of SEA, China, Maylasia and any Islands left".

It is weird how the absolutely monstrous atrocities done by Japan in China are kinda overlooked, like there's always this weird narrative that Japan going to war was because the Americans forced them to, because they were mean and wouldn't give them oil and rubber so they could keep invading china. I guess because we like Japan and not China so we'll feel bad for tens of thousands of dead Japanese but not the millions of Chinese that died? Also its not like Saipan and Okinawa didn't give the Americans a taste of what it would be like to invade Japan proper, showing the IJA was not hesitant to force local civilians into the front lines to slow them down.

Another thing a lot of people seem to ignore that no one in Japan during the war had been alive during a period where the Emperor was not seen as God and i was better to die for the emperor than to live for yourself. That they had the whole twisted version of Bushido drilled into them, that anyone not conforming was shamed and forced out of public life. The complete disregard for the civilian population by the military leaders was also a fact, they were perfectly willing to kill the entire country to save face. Nazi Germany only lasted 12 stupid and bloody years, but they produced insane fanatics, how do you think people in Japan who were raised from birth thinking like this were? It's not like the American leaders were utterly ignorant of what people in Japan were thinking and being told to think, and despite how some people might want to portray it, Truman and his cabinet weren't lusting for more civilian deaths. They weren't bomber command.

That being said, and here's the but,

There was no need to drop the bombs on purely civilian targets. Yes they went for less important cities, as Kyoto was the first target but due to the Americans knowing how important it was to the Japanese they moved it to another city. And they dropped leaflets saying that poo poo was going to go down, the same effect would have been achieved by dropping it on an navel anchorage or an airbase. Drop it on one of the main bases on the home islands Kamikaze's were launching from, boom, Japanese leadership now knows you can take out an entire base with one bomb. It would probably have the same effect with much less civilian casualties. But again here's Bomber Command still thinking terror bombing will break the enemies will to fight.

I've never been sold on the "they only dropped it to wag their dick at Stalin" because no one has ever provided serious primary evidence that this was a reason. Crackpots like Patton were saying hey lets join forces with the Germans once they're defeated and go after the commies, and some others based on faulty evidence that the Abwehr director gave the Allies in exchange for not being hung, but there was never a serious "we gotta go after the Russkies right now!" among the actual leadership of the allies. Everyone was sick of war and just wanted it to be over, even the Soviets.