Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
most of the jokes about my username are cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Viking Blood posted:

We used to call them midget cabbage when we were kids

"Martian heads"

Delicious when cooked properly. My mom did not cook them properly.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Bula Vinaka posted:

Explaining that Frankenstein is the name of the doctor, not the creature, is extremely annoying. Also, the creature's creator was not a doctor, he was a medical student. (In Frankenstein: The True Story from 1973, the creature is asked his name at one point and responds, "I am Leviathan, for I am many", which he overheard being read from the bible. Pretty cool!)

Wasn't he a chemistry student?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

if you're a teacher, you're not supposed to sleep with your students, even if they're adults; that's bad, don't do it

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Loden Taylor posted:

if you're a teacher, you're not supposed to sleep with your students, even if they're adults; that's bad, don't do it

big if true

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i just finished The Corrections so lol

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

literally literally means literally except for when it literally means literally

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Hang on this is SA, has anyone said

Over/under yet?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Nooner posted:

Hang on this is SA, has anyone said

Over/under yet?

*checks notes*

No

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
It doesn't affect your marriage one whit when other people get married, no matter who they are.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Loden Taylor posted:

This is going to be difficult news for half the humanities faculty at every college.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Loden Taylor posted:

Even if the student is getting an F and they're sure they can think of something to change my mind?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Birds are sight-powerful and smell-weak. A mother bird will not reject her baby if you pick it up and put it back in the nest. Help that bird!

People don't only use 10% of their brain unless they're people who believe we can only use 10% of their brain.

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
"Survival of the fittest" doesn't mean the fastest or the strongest or the smartest; it means the survival of the best fit for the role. Your opposable thumbs and big brain are worth gently caress-all at the bottom of the ocean because you are not adapted for crushing pressures and freezing temperatures, while the blobfish is happy to clean up imploded billionaire residue in that same environment.

Incidentally, the melted Mr. Saturn-rear end looking blobfish you're familiar with? That's due to being brought up to the surface, you know, where they're not the best fit anymore, and since they're not being pushed on by thousands of tons of water from every direction they decompress and all their cells and organs explode. They're pretty normal-looking spiky gray fish at their proper depth.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Yesterdays Latte posted:

"Survival of the fittest" doesn't mean the fastest or the strongest or the smartest; it means the survival of the best fit for the role.

actually it means that all cars evolve towards the honda fit. it's the carcinization of compact car evolutionary theory.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

the heat generated during atmospheric reentry (or flying at hypersonic speeds) is almost entirely due to air compression, not friction. there's a reason all the heat shielding on the shuttle is on the nose/belly.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

the observer effect in quantum physics has absolutely nothing to do with human/conscious observation mystically causing waveform collapse or any of that woo-woo bullshit. "observation" means measurement, which necessarily means interaction in some form -- that's what pins down an eigenstate.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Zebras are black with white stripes - not white with black stripes.

Proof: look at their noses.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Rubber Chicken posted:

You don't actually have to poo poo your own pants to post in GBS

WHAT

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Valko posted:

Zebras are black with white stripes - not white with black stripes.

Proof: look at their noses.

racist

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Shaquille O'neal is bad and should be prohibited.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Das Boo posted:

People don't only use 10% of their brain unless they're people who believe we can only use 10% of their brain.

I love this one because is suggests we evolved something extra that takes up space and we don’t apparently need to survive, but can be unlocked for…super powers? If 10% of our brain mass was all we used, shouldn’t our skulls be the size of walnuts?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Ralph Hurley posted:

I love this one because is suggests we evolved something extra that takes up space and we don’t apparently need to survive, but can be unlocked for…super powers? If 10% of our brain mass was all we used, shouldn’t our skulls be the size of walnuts?

I think it was a case of a game of telephone: we use all of our brains, but we tend to not use more than 10 or 20 percent at a time, as different parts handle different things. This got telephoned into 'we only use 10 percent of our brain'. I was so annoyed when the film Lucy came out: this should be a pop culture misunderstanding, not the plot of a film where you could just GOOGLE THE REALITY OF IT. Argh.

I have no idea if you'd get an exceptional advantage if you could somehow use more of your brain at a time or if you'd just damage it from overheating.

Also, peanuts aren't nuts. They're technically beans. (Legumes, to be ultra technical).

Also, strawberries are not actually classified in scientific botanical definition as berries. Neither are blueberries or raspberries. However, they ARE classified in CULINARY terms as berries.

What is classified in botony terms as berries? Bananas, eggplants, and cucumbers.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

when you get a tax refund it means you were overcharged all year

it’s not good

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Ralph Hurley posted:

Brain size isn't really a good indicator of intelligence. Take corvids and parrots for instance. Smarter than most dogs.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

isn’t it about brain to body size ratio

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
More intelligent animals have more synaptic connections and higher brain surface area.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

git apologist posted:

Cant be. There was this tiny bodied twerp in 9th grade with a huge head and he couldnt math his way out of me whoopin that nerdy rear end every day.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Black holes won't devour everything. They have absolutely the same influence as any object with the same mass. So for example, if our Sun was instantly replaced with the same mass black hole, we wouldn't notice anything, gravimetrically.

Sure the sky would go dark and all life would end, but we wouldn't get sucked into that black hole.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

git apologist posted:

Crocodiles can be surprisingly intelligent and the have a brain the size of a walnut.

I actually wasn't sure about this so I went to google to check. It turns out that an average alligators brain is the size of a grown adult texan man.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Brussels sprouts are literally different now than when you had them as a kid.

Ya boil up some new ones and tell me how great they are

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
uhh

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

E: ?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Is this the source of that one goon's user name, or am I commonly misunderstanding?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Ya boil up some new ones and tell me how great they are

i roast them with balsamic and honey and they are awesome

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Bula Vinaka posted:

Explaining that Frankenstein is the name of the doctor, not the creature, is extremely annoying. Also, the creature's creator was not a doctor, he was a medical student. (In Frankenstein: The True Story from 1973, the creature is asked his name at one point and responds, "I am Leviathan Legion, for I am many", which he overheard being read from the bible. Pretty cool!)
victor was also a monster.
but, more importantly, frankenstein refers to himself as "adam" and victor as "father" meaning the monster most likely thought of himself as "adam frankenstein"

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Bad Purchase posted:

when you get a tax refund it means you were overcharged all year

it’s not good

I feel like making a post about why your post is a common misunderstanding

In that everyone knows that but many people prefer it for entirely rational reasons making it, in fact, quite good (for those people at least)

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Cornwind Evil posted:

I think it was a case of a game of telephone: we use all of our brains, but we tend to not use more than 10 or 20 percent at a time, as different parts handle different things. This got telephoned into 'we only use 10 percent of our brain'. I was so annoyed when the film Lucy came out: this should be a pop culture misunderstanding, not the plot of a film where you could just GOOGLE THE REALITY OF IT. Argh.

I have no idea if you'd get an exceptional advantage if you could somehow use more of your brain at a time or if you'd just damage it from overheating.

You're telling me that Rip Torn was wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1FhrhoudSE

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Rubber Chicken posted:

I feel like making a post about why your post is a common misunderstanding

In that everyone knows that but many people prefer it for entirely rational reasons making it, in fact, quite good (for those people at least)

interest is actually a good thing when you collect on it and you can get it by auto-drafting a portion of your paycheck into a savings account every month instead of lending it out interest free. not many people know this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Broccoli
Aug 5, 2022
I have no hidden depths and am actually as rock stupid as I seem to be.