Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
I fuckin love those stupid Zelda games, but it really bugs me how incredibly easy the combat in the 3D ones tends to be, with Twilight Princess being the worst offender. You'd get awesome looking bosses with neat mechanics, but they'd go down almost immediately and do super miniscule damage. Even the final boss would only do like half of one of your 20 hearts in a good hit, and the arenas would always be filled with pots or whatever to break open for more hearts and even fairies, and then you'd have bottles loaded with your own fairies and poo poo that would completely rejuvenate you if you somehow managed to go down. In Link to the Past, you really appreciated all your hearts and upgrades. Enemies could kill you real quick if you were playing sloppy.

I know a lot of people play Zelda games who aren't too hot at them, so they shouldn't have just made them way harder. But they could have had difficulty levels. What was especially annoying was how all they really needed to do was multiply enemy damage and health a few times with no other changes, and it would have been great.

Skyward Sword is a fair amount tougher, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Dirk Digglet posted:

Like a third of Skyrim's population cannot be killed. Ever. Unless they are one of my followers, then they cant wait to be killed by me. poo poo, they'll line up. Outstanding programing Bethesda. The only NPC I can readily kill is the one who works for me.

They're often so eager to die that they'll run directly into your deadly stream of electricity or arrows or sword even if there was an enemy there a second ago. Especially if they're low on health and/or magicka or wielding a goddamn bow or spells. Likewise, mage followers don't seem to care if you're trying to sneak up on that bad guy, thunderous life-draining area-of-effect spells ahoy!

Anyway, Portal 2's vitrified test chambers were pretty cool, but the gigantic set pieces they felt were necessary between EVERY TEST CHAMBER were a drag. Scouring a dim and mostly empty 1000sq.ft concrete shithole for tiny, distant patches of portalable wall is not fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Whatev posted:

Oh, that reminds me.

Skyward Sword: The swordplay with the Wii Motion Plus is a hell of a lot of fun when just fighting random Bokoblins or whatnot, but it appears to have been designed for use by robots. Depending on how you actually play the game, at least one type of sword attack won't agree with what your game thinks you're doing. For me, I get a bit overexcited in battle, and all my stabs turn into vertical slashes. Which made the third dungeon particularly terrible, because it's pretty much all based upon the use of stabbing things to solve them - Beamos and Armos both require stabs, you need to stab certain switches to make them work, and you have to stab the second phase of the boss to kill him. Most of my deaths were in the third dungeon because the game decides 'Ooh, the remote went up .3 degrees, that means vertical slash' and so most of my attempts never work.

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010
I enjoyed most of what I played of Dead Space, but (what I assume to be) fairly early on in the game, there's this stupid sequence where the big ship's shields aren't online and you have to get on a turret and manually shoot asteroids to stop them hitting your ship.

It feels like an old arcade style shooter which didn't feel in keeping with the rest of the game as far as I played. There were too many asteroids, they did massive amounts of damage, and the stupid turret kept overheating too fast and I didn't hit poo poo.

I still haven't returned to that game because of that one part.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Chroisman posted:

I enjoyed most of what I played of Dead Space, but (what I assume to be) fairly early on in the game, there's this stupid sequence where the big ship's shields aren't online and you have to get on a turret and manually shoot asteroids to stop them hitting your ship.

It feels like an old arcade style shooter which didn't feel in keeping with the rest of the game as far as I played. There were too many asteroids, they did massive amounts of damage, and the stupid turret kept overheating too fast and I didn't hit poo poo.

I still haven't returned to that game because of that one part.

Turret levels are utter poo poo, I hate twitch reflex games like shmups and bullet hells, why do they insist in putting them in games like Dead Space?

Speaking of Dead Space

I have had Dead Space 2 for months and I have gotten to the final boss but I can't be bothered to beat it. By the time I run that horrible gauntlet of extra tough and un killable enemies I never have enough health or ammo to stand a chance in the fight.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm playing The Last Remnant right now. I have an entire union of healers. I've disabled all their arts besides healing arts. I give them the command to not do poo poo unless they're attacked or need to heal someone. SO WHY THE gently caress DO THEY KEEP RUNNING UP AND ATTACKING THE GOD drat BOSS WHEN HE ISN'T ATTACKING THEM. AAAAAAAAAAAGH.

Okay, that feels better.

Thewlis
Feb 24, 2006

Custard Coloured Superdream
Arkham Asylum. Killer Croc. It could have been so great, but instead you get fifteen minutes of creeping around a loving sewer and hitting him in the face with a flying metal thing. My advice is to spend the entire time screeching heatedly at the screen.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

PalmTreeFun posted:

Something that really brings the game down: if you wait to do the vehicle theft missions until later in the game, when STAG occupies the city, some of the vehicle missions become almost impossible without using police forgiveness. Bringing a limo across town (takes about five seconds to turn a corner, is slow even with nitrous boosts, has poo poo armor) while being fried by an unavoidable VTOL laser isn't exactly doable. Then there's that tank mission, where you either have to remote control it across town or deal with the SWAT or STAG again, because just being in a tank gives you maximum police notoriety.

I found this out the hard way when I was trying to steal the street sweeper. After STAG raises most of the bridges, the route you have to take to get to the chop shop is INCREDIBLY long, and I wasn't making it even halfway before the cops would fireball the sweeper. I don't recall why I didn't have Police Forgiveness at that point, but I didn't. It finally dawned on me to try jumping one of the bridge gaps using the Nitrous In Every Vehicle perk. Even then, I just BARELY made it.

But yeah - the limo one sucked too. That thing steers like a cow.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Agreeing with the Skyward Sword comments. I think with the Wii Motion Plus, they can do a lot more with the remote, but it's still a piece of poo poo so it has trouble with the directional slashes.

Also that loving harp. God I hate that loving harp.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

The Random Hero posted:

Also, what is the point of endless quests if tons of them are simply "Go to X and get Y, then bring it back to Z."?

The ones that get me in any game are: "Go to X and get 6 y, then bring them back. Good! Now, go back to X, get 7 B, then bring them back here. Great job! Now, go back to X, kill 4 C, 4 A, and come back here. Good job! Now, go back to X..." :commissar:

natedogcool
Jan 3, 2008

Every time we look at the moon, we can know that Willzyx is up there dancing with the other zypods in his castle.

Whatev posted:

After you beat it, you can replay it with a much harder difficulty called the Hero's Quest. Damage x2, no randomly dropped hearts, and a few other things to make the game a lot harder.

But personally, after my final two battles, I felt the game had been sufficiently hard. I went into my final battle with all 5 bottles filled with fairies, and barely beat it with 2 hearts left.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

In Ninja Gaiden I could never ever get past that fight with the huge flying blue demon woman. Which sucks because I liked the game a lot.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Evil Genius has a great premise, but the way base security is handled just makes me want to scream.

My base is hidden behind a jungle hut-shaped secret door amidst some innocent jungle huts housing staff facilities for the tourist trap cover operation. But it's constantly opened and closed by "patrolling" military minions who need to see every valet cafeteria outside the mountain lair is sound and secure!

Okay, I'm tired of tourists waltzing in through the "secret" door and then going into a suspicion-arousing panic when they can't get out anymore. I'm setting the door security clearance to 4 to make sure it's guarded at all times. But since anything above level 2 means only the Big Boss and his two or three primary henchmen can pass, nobody can actually go out and man the posts! The high clearance also makes every snoop on the island ignore all other fake entrances into trapped mazes and immediately lock on to the real deal! To finish it off, agents constantly hacking the locks means the door is still wide open for a few minutes after anyone enters, trapping any nearby gawkers inside!

Fine, everybody who wasn't wearing the right uniform is now sporting a body bag. The supernational justice agencies heard what happened, gave up on prosecution and started deploying platoons instead of agents. Red alert. Arm up and shoot anything that moves. But why do meek media managers and quantum physicists respond to Red Ivan's call to arms? Why do all military minions feel that :siren:RED HÄLARM:siren: is a great time to gently caress around in the staff room, ignore armory orders or just trot out of the front door all alone, check out the sights and see what happens when you show a MG42 to a Soviet marine?

scamtank has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Jan 13, 2012

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

natedogcool posted:

After you beat it, you can replay it with a much harder difficulty called the Hero's Quest. Damage x2, no randomly dropped hearts, and a few other things to make the game a lot harder.

But personally, after my final two battles, I felt the game had been sufficiently hard. I went into my final battle with all 5 bottles filled with fairies, and barely beat it with 2 hearts left.
Oh poo poo, really? That's awesome that they finally listened! It was ridiculous how hard it was to die in Twilight Princess, though, so I can see that being a common sticking point.

I personally love the controls. I can deal with the stab move fine, but it definitely does require a way too precise thrust to register right, and I can see people having a problem with that.

Anyway, a thing that really bugs me that is in a ton of poo poo, including all the 3D Zelda and Mario games, is those tiny worthless triggered cinemas. Like you hit a switch, and the game takes control away from you for a few moments to pan the camera to show you what it does even when it's already super obvious. And then the little cinema will trigger every time you hit it, which can be a lot of times. Don't freakin do that.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

kazil posted:

Also that loving harp. God I hate that loving harp.

Couldn't be any worse than the Pan Pipe mechanic in Spirit Tracks. Which never registers when you blow into the mic properly, and only seems to do it when it feels like it.

Also, the using the stylus to control movement and attack at the same time in Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass can gently caress right off.

"Right I'll do a spin attack- Link stop rolling into that wall goddamn! Attack that bug- christ he's rolled into it again."

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Pesky Splinter posted:

Couldn't be any worse than the Pan Pipe mechanic in Spirit Tracks. Which never registers when you blow into the mic properly, and only seems to do it when it feels like it.

Also, the using the stylus to control movement and attack at the same time in Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass can gently caress right off.

"Right I'll do a spin attack- Link stop rolling into that wall goddamn! Attack that bug- christ he's rolled into it again."

Oh poo poo, Phantom Hourglass. The only zelda game I've come close to beating (short attention span). But gently caress 2 things: the drat "flip the DS closed to transfer something to the map on the other screen" thing and the final loving boss. The first item is just loving annoying, and exists purely to make the game un-emulateable. You're just supposed to try everything you can, then get pissed off, close the DS, and walk away. gently caress that poo poo. The final boss was cool as hell, but screw having to draw that drat hourglass shape. I don't know if it was just my game, but it almost never loving registered that I completed it.

Almost Honest
Aug 17, 2009
Battlefield 3. Hackers, Javelins, mindless pubbies, and general bugginess can all get hosed.

natedogcool
Jan 3, 2008

Every time we look at the moon, we can know that Willzyx is up there dancing with the other zypods in his castle.

Whatev posted:

I personally love the controls. I can deal with the stab move fine, but it definitely does require a way too precise thrust to register right, and I can see people having a problem with that.

The one control mechanism I never got used to was whipping out a B-item (bow, bug, slingshot, etc) and it would automatically aim wherever my camera was aiming, and not where my Link Face was aiming. I would always point Link right toward the objective, whip out the item, and find myself staring at a wall or something. All the way up to the end, that bugged me.

natedogcool
Jan 3, 2008

Orcs Must Die is a lot of fun, but when you sprint, the camera goes into some kind of fish-eye mode, and if you turn a little, you find yourself doing a huge turn. It always takes me a minute to reorient myself after sprinting, and as a result, I don't use the sprint function even when I really need to kill some orcs.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

1stGear posted:

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Everything. :negative:

SW: TOR is pretty drat awesome! I mean there are some things wrong with it, but every MMO in history has started off with problems.

This is a good time to be in the game. Who cares if the wikis are undeveloped? That means you can explore the game without having to worry about poo poo like minmaxing. Personally, I like the fact that there is no QuestHelper or WoW in-game quest support. People want everything handed to them on a silver platter these days. And if there's something like a quest that frustrates you and you solve it, then you can participate in the wiki and help build it. Personally I think it's awesome that everyone feels like a noob.

I'll admit it was kind of weird seeing an old black imperial with the voice of a young Scottish white boy. But that's one voice out of how many? I think the stories are awesome. Especially the Imperial Agent story.

And there are some problems with PVP, but many of those will be fixed once the 50s league is implemented.

And a few of the companions (Ashara Zavros, the drat ship robot) can go gently caress themselves. But you can avoid them for the most part.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

elitebuster posted:

Oh poo poo, Phantom Hourglass. But gently caress 2 things...

The whole flipping the DS over never bothered me, infact, I think it took me all of 10 secs to realise what it wanted me to do. :v:

Going through that dungeon and compeleting it over and over again got really old though, and I'd forgotten about drawing that symbol. Yeah, that was annoying as hell when the fucker got pissy about what constitutes an hourglass shape.

[e]: Also Epic Mickey; Gahhhh! Camera controls! GAHHHHH! Face forward rat! :argh:

Pesky Splinter has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Jan 14, 2012

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie

Whatev posted:

I fuckin love those stupid Zelda games, but it really bugs me how incredibly easy the combat in the 3D ones tends to be, with Twilight Princess being the worst offender. You'd get awesome looking bosses with neat mechanics, but they'd go down almost immediately and do super miniscule damage. Even the final boss would only do like half of one of your 20 hearts in a good hit, and the arenas would always be filled with pots or whatever to break open for more hearts and even fairies, and then you'd have bottles loaded with your own fairies and poo poo that would completely rejuvenate you if you somehow managed to go down. In Link to the Past, you really appreciated all your hearts and upgrades. Enemies could kill you real quick if you were playing sloppy.

The easiness of combat really kills the 3D Zeldas for (Though I don't have a Wii so I haven't played Skyward Sword). And it doesn't help when heart pieces and heart containers are the rewards for almost every single side quest.

In the Xbox version of Splinter Cell: Double Agent, those annoying sections in the single player where you have an AI teammate following you. Trying to control them is annoying when I'm trying to do a runthrough with no knockouts or kills, and I absolutely can't stand the incredibly gimmicky stuff like the endless number of ledges that require an assisted boost to climb whenever they're around. I think I almost gave up on the game at the beginning the first time through because of that.

And Crash Bandicoot 3: Every other level is an underwater level or airplane level or jetski level. Why can't the game just let me do some platforming?

Psycho Serum
Apr 28, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Been playing Dark Souls for the last however long and what is dragging the game down is me. I am not good enough and I never will be :smith:

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
The end level/s of Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. You put points in stealth skills? Haha, gently caress you.

Also that goddamn sewer level.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

elitebuster posted:

Oh poo poo, Phantom Hourglass. The only zelda game I've come close to beating (short attention span). But gently caress 2 things: the drat "flip the DS closed to transfer something to the map on the other screen" thing and the final loving boss. The first item is just loving annoying, and exists purely to make the game un-emulateable. You're just supposed to try everything you can, then get pissed off, close the DS, and walk away. gently caress that poo poo.

A clever puzzle mechanic which pops up once in the entire game and literally takes 2 seconds once you figure it out? How the hell did that make you so mad? I remember figuring it out finally and having a little chuckle to myself about it. Guess you had a vastly different reaction

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
The only thing that really stands out for me are the companions in Skyrim.

The 2nd character I made was a sneaky assassin/archer. I can kill a room full of dudes before they even know I'm there. Unfortunately my companion will usually run into the fray after the first arrow and stand in front of the things I'm shooting at and just being annoying. I can tell them to wait and not do anything, but unless I'm about 2 miles away, they will still run in, triggering traps and alerting enemies. I could just leave them at home, but I can't carry three sets of armor, two bows, two swords, two daggers and all the dragon bones and scales I collect just waking outside to get my mail.

I think it was Dungeon Siege that would allow you to swap out a party member for a pack mule. I want a pack mule instead of a companion that can't even sit and stay. Hell, my dog can do that and she eats her own barf.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

CombatBonta-kun posted:

The 2nd character I made was a sneaky assassin/archer. I can kill a room full of dudes before they even know I'm there. Unfortunately my companion will usually run into the fray after the first arrow and stand in front of the things I'm shooting at and just being annoying. I can tell them to wait and not do anything, but unless I'm about 2 miles away, they will still run in, triggering traps and alerting enemies. I could just leave them at home, but I can't carry three sets of armor, two bows, two swords, two daggers and all the dragon bones and scales I collect just waking outside to get my mail.

For me it's the same thing, only instead of ruining my sneaking, he runs in front of my fire spells and gets roasted and killed while I'm trying to kite around a group of enemies. :argh:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
BioShock: The way you hack the machines: basically it's playing Pipe Dream and getting liquid to flow from one end of the pipe to the other, for EVERY machine. Doesn't matter if you're hacking a turret, vending machine, U-Invent, or whatever...they're all the same. Same with the second game, I wish for both that they'd have at least thought up a different style of hacking for each one instead of making it so easy/boring.

Alice: Madness Returns: LET ME USE THE loving PARASOL WITHOUT HAVING TO LOCK ONTO THE TARGET! :argh: Everything else was pretty sweet, but gently caress that annoyed me. Also: having to collect teeth to get weapon upgrades, but after you've upgraded the four main weapons to their max status, you still find teeth to collect and end up with WAY more than you need. What's the point if you don't have an additional weapon or goal that use the collected teeth?

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.
No idea if it's been posted but the goddamn AI pathing in Skyrim. I don't know how many times I've had to either wait 15 mins for Lydia to take the 50 km walk around because she won't jump off a rock behind me. Alternatively, having to retrace my steps because she decided to find her own path and is gone - oh, there she is, beaten to death by giants because that was a better option than following me. They need a minimap with your party members location/health on it.

ARGHHHHHHHHHH.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

CombatBonta-kun posted:

This too - how stupid can they be. I'm sneaking, they're sneaking, why does it seem like a good idea to run into a room of five enemies? I don't know how many times I end a fight with Lydia either on fire or with 5 arrows stuck in her back (from me, obviously).

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Sid Meier's Civilization has shoddy terrain generation. It's not so bad at first - but all the other elements of the game are reliably re-playable for hundreds of hours. You start to notice distinct patterns in the way it builds continents. If you see a certain formation of coastline (such as a little bay) you can deduce the whole thing. It takes out the mystery and excitement of exploration.

Nobody diss the AI, it is perfect.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

superv0zz posted:

No idea if it's been posted but the goddamn AI pathing in Skyrim. I don't know how many times I've had to either wait 15 mins for Lydia to take the 50 km walk around because she won't jump off a rock behind me. Alternatively, having to retrace my steps because she decided to find her own path and is gone - oh, there she is, beaten to death by giants because that was a better option than following me. They need a minimap with your party members location/health on it.

ARGHHHHHHHHHH.

I've been noticing that since Fallout 3, I thought it was pretty much a thing in Bethesda games that the AI just has no conception of jumping. Not that it doesn't suck, of course.

Redeadagain
Jan 10, 2009

this shall be
humorous
The Big Boner sequences in Shadow of the Damned. Screaming in frustration didn't help.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011
I’m a few hours into Fallout: New Vegas and one thing that has been really annoying me is the lack of a run button. I know it would make combat a little easier but when I’m walking through kilometres of empty wasteland I wouldn’t mind having the option to sprint.

I know you get fast travel after visiting each town but after visiting Freeside and having nearly every quest being “walk to this area on the far side of the city”, “walk all the way back to where you started to confirm what you just saw”, “now walk back to the far side of the city again”, “okay, now walk back to where you started to receive your reward” it just seems so slow. The loading times certainly don’t help.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

superv0zz posted:

ARGHHHHHHHHHH.

It's worse with the Clairvoyance spell because half the time I don't know where I'm going, so when I pull it out it suggests the same dumb paths that the AI takes, like right into a random nearby wall. Also it sucks up your magic regardless of how long it takes it to find a path, so you waste half your bar waiting for the path to load.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Incorrect Username posted:

I’m a few hours into Fallout: New Vegas and one thing that has been really annoying me is the lack of a run button. I know it would make combat a little easier but when I’m walking through kilometres of empty wasteland I wouldn’t mind having the option to sprint.

I know you get fast travel after visiting each town but after visiting Freeside and having nearly every quest being “walk to this area on the far side of the city”, “walk all the way back to where you started to confirm what you just saw”, “now walk back to the far side of the city again”, “okay, now walk back to where you started to receive your reward” it just seems so slow. The loading times certainly don’t help.

If there's another (When, more likely) Fallout game, I hope they add the ability to drive cars and tone down the rubble a little. You got a Highwayman in Fallout 2, why not now? :argh:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Anatharon posted:

If there's another (When, more likely) Fallout game, I hope they add the ability to drive cars and tone down the rubble a little. You got a Highwayman in Fallout 2, why not now? :argh:

You do. :smug:

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal
Skyrim's UI. If you want to see your speech talents, you have to hit like 11 buttons. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out how to check what effects are active on you, mostly because it's unnecessarily complicated.

Plus I can't read the text - especially what you pick up, which goes in size 6 font in the top corner - on my tiny tv screen :smith:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Any game where you have to search for more than like... 25 hidden collectables.

No Infamous, I don't want to find 350 blast shards. I'm good, thanks.

and

UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES

In It For The Tank has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Feb 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Dirk Digglet posted:

...the loving mountains which, due to invisible walls, are motherfucking impossible to cross without doing a weird combination of jumping and strafing (real good idea filling your game with textures you have to break the game to overcome)Skyrim breaks me out of immersion more often than id like.

Buy a horse. Seriously, it's the best investment you'll ever make in Skyrim. They fast travel with you and can climb basically anything.

I'll second others and say games that ramp up the difficulty for some missions. This is especially annoying in games that are meant to get progressively harder. Elite Beat Agents, Ouendan!, and Trauma Centre are my favourite DS games, but all of them have stages that are much more difficult than the ones before them but also more difficult than the ones after them. Canned Heat in EBA and the first encounter with triti (the triangle virus) in Trauma Centre stand out. I like them after I beat them, but I wish they were placed better in the game so it can get consistently harder.

• Locked thread