Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
In Aquaria, it's all the little touches to Naija to bring her to life. Completely pointless and small things just like how she'll smile when she sees something she likes, will gasp in awe/surprise at some of the sights around the ocean, etc.

Really that game is full of little touches that make the entire world more alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Teeth
Aug 22, 2005
Star Wars the Old Republic.

The game has some great voice acting and dialog, but one in particular caught my attention. Near the start of the Imperial Agent story, you go undercover and are reminded to hide you accent for the mission. That the voice actor actually did a different accent really got me.

Dr. Teeth has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Feb 27, 2012

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I love a lot of the special touches in the Katamari games. For instance, in We <3 Katamari, in the last few main levels, there's a construction zone. As the levels progress, the house gets more completed. Also, there are so many iconic things in the last level. These range from iconic landmarks and buildings to mythical beasts, like the Kraken.

In Iji, you can play through the game killing everyone or you could play as a pacifist. That the game was designed around this is cool, but what I really like is how Iji reacts. In the beginning, she's extremely apologetic for hurting anyone, but if you keep killing people, she gets very aggressive towards them.

unpronounceable has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Feb 28, 2012

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
In Battlefield: Bad Company 2, when you win or lose a multiplayer map, a little cutscene plays with radio chatter to show what happened. For example, on a map fighting near a radio base, the American victory shows the comms center being blown up and the radio okays the standby forces to move up. The Russian victory shows a tank column rolling out of the base.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I like how in Marvel Ultimate Alliance you could play as the enemies with a second controller (only in the training scenarios though). Sure, most of the enemies only had one or two attacks but how else am I ever going to play as Winter Soldier or Dragon Man?

Its a shame you couldn't do something similar in the sequel, at least as far as I can recall.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Mister Morn posted:

Funny item descriptions.

I liked the description of the sunglasses in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night:

"Cool-looking sunglasses."

Fashion is a priority while battling hellish creatures.

I also liked that while they boost your defense slightly, they lower your intelligence :cool: :downs:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

vxskud posted:

I really liked the NPC conversations in Deus Ex Human Revolution, they actually sounded like conversations real people would have.

In the original Deus Ex, a girl was flirting with another girl on the dance floor in the Hong Kong nightclub. :quagmire:

Mister Morn
Feb 9, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

olaf2022 posted:

I liked the description of the sunglasses in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night:

"Cool-looking sunglasses."

Fashion is a priority while battling hellish creatures.

I also liked that while they boost your defense slightly, they lower your intelligence :cool: :downs:

Well, you're wearing sunglasses inside a dark and spooky castle, at night. How smart can Alucard be at that point?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Big Grunty Secret posted:

In Battlefield: Bad Company 2, when you win or lose a multiplayer map, a little cutscene plays with radio chatter to show what happened. For example, on a map fighting near a radio base, the American victory shows the comms center being blown up and the radio okays the standby forces to move up. The Russian victory shows a tank column rolling out of the base.

While Killzone 3 had many issues, the best part of its multiplayer is that in the obejctive-based modes you'd see little cutscenes of the top three players on each team completing objectives, and at the end of every round you'd see the top three (depending on which side) either preparing to take prisoner or execute the top of the opposing side.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

bewilderment posted:

While Killzone 3 had many issues, the best part of its multiplayer is that in the obejctive-based modes you'd see little cutscenes of the top three players on each team completing objectives, and at the end of every round you'd see the top three (depending on which side) either preparing to take prisoner or execute the top of the opposing side.

Brink did something similar, though was mostly relegated to shooting at one another more than anything active. So much potential... :(

That said one thing I loved about Brink was its ambience and visual design - something a lot of people missed about it is that in singleplayer the skins bot used depended on your factions (outside of the obvious faction stuff). If you were part of the Resistance then the Security forces would look fairly uniform with body armour and 'flashy' equipment, in addition to a lot of face concealing stuff; very much making them look oppressive and frightening. If you were part of the Security forces, however, then those same guys would look a lot more 'casual' and rag tag with more faces open and less consistency in the outfits, making them look less like professionals and more like a civilian militia. It was really nice.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

scamtank posted:

psychonauts

At the end of the game, you get your hands on some item, I think it's a turtle. And when I say the end of the game, I mean you obtain this item, then walk up a flight of stairs, and enter the point-of-no-return last level. If you, instead, backtrack all the way back to the goddamn camp, you will find that every single character has a unique response to the loving turtle. Psychonauts was a pretty good game with a couple flaws but godDAMN they did not slack on the details.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
The internet in GTA4 was a pretty neat feature. The IKEA website and the child pageant pedophile-catcher website stood out for me.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Little Blue Couch posted:

At the end of the game, you get your hands on some item, I think it's a turtle. And when I say the end of the game, I mean you obtain this item, then walk up a flight of stairs, and enter the point-of-no-return last level. If you, instead, backtrack all the way back to the goddamn camp, you will find that every single character has a unique response to the loving turtle. Psychonauts was a pretty good game with a couple flaws but godDAMN they did not slack on the details.

Mr Pokeylope is the best part of Psychonauts. In the Steam version, you get an achievement for doing that.

Flour Bunny
Dec 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In Animal Crossing:cityfolk, I love the whole little scene where you are at the roost and Brewster make your character a coffee! :coffee:

Redeadagain
Jan 10, 2009

this shall be
humorous
The very first cat you see in Chrono Trigger.
:3:

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Grunty Secret posted:

In some maps you could run into the danger zone and drop mines, so when the cut scene started the tanks would blow up :D

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Facial expressions in Team Fotress. As I was waiting for a long respawn, I had the pleasure of seeing a heavy run towards the point for 10 long seconds as an enemy scout beat him with a baseball bat (a fast weapon that does little damage). The heavy had the most :saddowns: expression as he collapsed, which I couldn't help imagining was aimed at the dimwit controlling him.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Little Blue Couch posted:

This is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8FVHeG_Dwo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Breetai posted:

This is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8FVHeG_Dwo

There's an older LP of psychonauts that aims to show off all of the side content hidden around the game if anyone's interested.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
In the first level of Second Sight, you are trying to escape from a medical facility. After a run-in with one of the guards, you can check his computer and open a chat room where he was talking with his significant other. You have to poke around the computer a bit to even find it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0taLVSfFB88

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

Because you're special, tiny black sesame. :3:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Because you're special, tiny black sesame. :3:

Near the end of Mother 3, you go through a small boat ride through a museum of things form Earthbound. This belongs here anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSlFQ0bjJs

The black and white sesames are the last display item.

Something I just realised when watching that that's a bit interesting: You can see the pencil statue and eraser statue that you needed to remove with the Pencil Eraser and Eraser Eraser, but those were actually made for the US release - they were entirely different silly puns in the Japanese version, if I recall.

Mister Morn
Feb 9, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cleretic posted:

Something I just realised when watching that that's a bit interesting: You can see the pencil statue and eraser statue that you needed to remove with the Pencil Eraser and Eraser Eraser, but those were actually made for the US release - they were entirely different silly puns in the Japanese version, if I recall.

Yep. The fan translation team for Mother 3 graphically altered the octopus statue to be a pencil just to preserve continuity for US players. Good times.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Might be a bit weird for a little thing in a game, but seeing teeth fly when you smack someone in the grill with a lead pipe in Condemned was always awesome.

The game was moderately terrifying anyway, but the little touches like that helped make it a lot more "OH.. poo poo just got real" than if it was just your standard hobo beating simulator.

Condemned 2 had the joy of hitting people with liquor bottles, then tasering them to set them on fire.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Might be a bit weird for a little thing in a game, but seeing teeth fly when you smack someone in the grill with a lead pipe in Condemned was always awesome.

The first enemy encounter in that game pretty much set the tone for the rest of it. Ethan's like "Stop, FBI!" and the homeless dude is like "gently caress YOU" and it's on. It's so very on.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Condemned it was a real :psyduck: moment when I twatted someone with a club only for them to use the momentum against me and continue spinning around to punch me right back.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Taking care of the kitten in Shenmue :3:

In fact, nearly everything in Shenmue.

Having the Sega Saturn in his lounge room to play was an amazing touch. Also loved the darts game at the arcade. Collecting cassettes and figures was also silly and fun sometimes. Loved having a huge difficult, emotional moment happen and then going and buying some capsules or playing some darts. Bizarre.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Wank posted:

Taking care of the kitten in Shenmue :3:

In fact, nearly everything in Shenmue.

Having the Sega Saturn in his lounge room to play was an amazing touch. Also loved the darts game at the arcade. Collecting cassettes and figures was also silly and fun sometimes. Loved having a huge difficult, emotional moment happen and then going and buying some capsules or playing some darts. Bizarre.

gently caress Shenmue

Ok I don't mean that, well I sort of do.

No game I have played since has ever lived up to it in terms of little nuances that made it feel so amazing to play.

Not Oblivion,Skyrim,Fallout,GTA,Saints Row, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing.

Nothing

:smith:

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
I love it when a game does good enemy chatter. The Batman Arkham games were awesome about this, with the henchmen progressively starting to freak out as you pick them off one by one, or staying smug and aggressive the entire time if you screw up too much. Arkham City had unique dialog for this for each of the playable characters in the challenge modes.
Another nice touch in City was that during the final boss fight with Clayface Batman uses a sword, he has a full set of fluid attack and counter animations for just that one small segment with the sword.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

vxskud posted:

gently caress Shenmue

Ok I don't mean that, well I sort of do.

No game I have played since has ever lived up to it in terms of little nuances that made it feel so amazing to play.

Not Oblivion,Skyrim,Fallout,GTA,Saints Row, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing.

Nothing

:smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

I need to see if my brother still has his Dreamcast, I need to play that game again.

The Sorrow part in MGS3 was also pretty cool in that if you didn't kill anyone, it was an extremely short section. I beat that game in every way you could, but the No Kills playthrough was amazing.

Mister Morn
Feb 9, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Since this doesn't say anything about it only being video games, I'll add in playing Lum in Yomi. He's not the best character by a long shot, but he's just so much fun for me to play that I have a good time even when I'm beaten soundly.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I'm playing Dead Space 2 at the moment and so far I haven't been as scared as the first one and it's been a pretty straightforward experience.

Only now I'm on the Ishimura again and there has yet to be anything "scary" happen, but I actually couldn't keep playing last night. You walk down a corridor and a trash/paint can rolls in front of you. Round the corner and... nothing. Just a closed door.

The atmosphere is so oppressive I get the chills.

On the subject, as soon as you crash land in the first one the action / energy just doesn't let up for a good while.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Smelly posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

I need to see if my brother still has his Dreamcast, I need to play that game again.

For a short while I was in the top hundred when it came to the QTE Title rankings. I imagine I got shunted to top of 500,000 after time went by. They really need to remake or reboot that series.

Radio Paranoia posted:

I'm playing Dead Space 2 at the moment and so far I haven't been as scared as the first one and it's been a pretty straightforward experience.

Hell, mentioning Dead Space is a great idea. You're on your toes for most of the game due to pre-jump-scene music swells and sound effects, and then suddenly they send you into a soundless zero-g vacuum... Have fun not making GBS threads yourself when you turn around and see three Necromorphs patiently preparing to tear you a new rear end in a top hat silently as you rapidly run out of oxygen and ammo.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Radio Paranoia posted:

Only now I'm on the Ishimura again and there has yet to be anything "scary" happen, but I actually couldn't keep playing last night. You walk down a corridor and a trash/paint can rolls in front of you. Round the corner and... nothing. Just a closed door.

The atmosphere is so oppressive I get the chills.

As soon as I saw the Ishimura again, I said "oh no, no no no, you are NOT making me go in there." And then they did. And I kept waiting...and waiting...and waiting...and waiting...when poo poo finally DID happen, I flipped the gently caress out.

I was the same way with the Unitologist church and the pre-school. "Dead Space 2" did a great job of making people go "I know something bad's in here, I am NOT going. Nope. No way in loving hell."

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

CobiWann posted:

As soon as I saw the Ishimura again, I said "oh no, no no no, you are NOT making me go in there." And then they did. And I kept waiting...and waiting...and waiting...and waiting...when poo poo finally DID happen, I flipped the gently caress out.

I was the same way with the Unitologist church and the pre-school. "Dead Space 2" did a great job of making people go "I know something bad's in here, I am NOT going. Nope. No way in loving hell."

Dead Space 1 was more visceral and Dead Space 2 was more Atmospheric in terms of scares

Dead Space 1: HOLY loving poo poo!

Dead Space 2: oh poo poo......oh shiiiit..... Oh poo poo....

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

AuntJemima posted:

In Nier there is background music playing at most times like most games. But in your little village there is someone actually playing it and if you get closer you can hear the acoustic kick in and once you get close enough you can actually hear her singing. If you talk to her she stops singing too. I thought it's pretty cool.
There's also a metric fuckton of "throwaway" dialogue with Grimoire Weiss that's easy to miss or just not notice (due to being in the middle of a boss fight). Weiss's reactions to Kaine's profanity are particular gems, as are some of the various exchanges you'll have with Weiss when fishing (most of which end with the main character yelling at Weiss for scaring the fish away).

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

CobiWann posted:

the pre-school. "Dead Space 2" did a great job of making people go "I know something bad's in here, I am NOT going. Nope. No way in loving hell."

This place scared the gently caress out of me. There's something about little kids in horror films/games that freak me the gently caress out.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Battlefield 3: The "getting knifed" animation.

hey there's a dude! ima go gently caress his poo poo up.

wait where'd he goh god :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Speaking of Dead Space 2

The Eye poker machine

• Locked thread