Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Babby's first double-braid splice.

Rigging a new mainsheet and replacing the blocks. Going with Harken carbo blocks, the old ones are lovely West Marine branded Ronstan blocks and older Schaefers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Big Taint posted:

Babby's first double-braid splice.

Rigging a new mainsheet and replacing the blocks. Going with Harken carbo blocks, the old ones are lovely West Marine branded Ronstan blocks and older Schaefers.

Harken is the gold standard when it comes to light-duty tackle. Good choice. Nice splice, too!

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Here's a video, filmed in 1929 and narrated in 1980, of a sailing ship going around cape Horn. It's pretty :black101: at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RfuGKXOkB4

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Heyo! Bet you thought I forgot this thread, but I didn't. :)

Quick boat update (pictures to come shortly): I have done a fair amount of basic, boring but necessary work on the sloop. Got rid of the old cruddy corroded (and dead) car battery that was powering the 12v system and replaced it with a marine deep-cycle battery. Got the cinderblocks out of the bilge (yes, someone put cinderblocks in the bilge under the cabin soles, wtf) and with a portable bilge pump, a couple gallons of clorox, and a bunch of boat sponges, I started Project Let's Pump This Sucker Dry. I also took all of the cushions, v-berth, quarter berths, everything, out and laid them on the dock, then unzipped the cases to be greeted by foam that was solidly covered with black mold. :cry: All of them, every last one, thanks to years of leaky hatches and a permanently half-full bilge. I'm going to get rid of the foam and wash the cushion covers in an industrial machine. In the meantime I have no problem sailing the boat with no soft furnishings at all below, since I think of it more as a big kayak than anything and spend pretty much all my time topside. At some point I might want to overnight in it, but that point is months away at least.

Getting the cushions out uncovered the lockers under the quarter berths and a forward bilge access in the tip of the v-berth. Both were full of water. :( Portable bilge pump to the rescue again, along with lots of clorox. The ultimate goal is to get the boat as dry as possible, then work on getting it as clean as possible. The gelcoat is not in great shape and there's some spiderweb cracking to the fiberglass in places (nowhere that's important to hull integrity, thank goodness) but once I get the dirt, grime, and mold cleaned off I can start thinking about a repaint.

If anyone should need a small battery-powered bilge pump, I can enthusiastically recommend this one, I've used it for probably a cumulative hour or two over this long weekend and it works great. It's really been a godsend for the difficult-to-bail places like the lockers, which have triangular bottoms and were full of about four inches of rainwater condensation each.

Edit: And when I took the cushions out of the v-berth you'll never guess what I found under them, a loving sculling oar of all things. I've always wanted to learn how to scull a sailboat!

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
I've been waiting for a boat thread to pop up. I've been the owner of a Contessa 26 for going on 3 years and in that time I've immersed myself in boat/sailing/maintenance info. This looks like a great thread. I'll try to make a longer post later involving sealants, insurance, electrical and sailing in 12' seas later on.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

This is a great thread so I wanted to make some contributions.

bonestructure posted:

The best view in the world, looking down a sailboat bow.

I couldn't agree more. Almost everything humans make is in some way designed to overpower or overcome its surroundings but a sailboat is the complete opposite - it's designed to harness both wind and water. The result, in my opinion, is that sailboats are some of the most beautiful man made objects that exist, and that's before you consider the possibilities they bring.

Nettle Soup posted:

This is a good book if you can find a copy of it. Sailing round the world over two years, it kept me reading and it's one of those books I still sometimes find myself thinking about.

This is my boat! Tania, the girl in the book (still the youngest woman to sail around the world I think) has the same model boat as me - Contessa 26. Needless to say I read it immediately. The Contessa is pretty well known as an inexpensive small "blue water" boat. Sadly I doubt I'll be taking mine across oceans but I appreciate having something with that history, and I simply love the look and style of this old fashioned full keel boat. Knowing the history was also comforting when myself and two inexperienced friends got ourselves into 12' seas with the nearest port 6 stressful hours away.

Blue Water Boats Contessa 26

And here are some pictures:

Prepping for launch last spring.

Electrical Panel. Last spring I rewired everything.

sharkytm posted:

No problem. GenuineDealz is good people.

Yep I used them also. I hate their name but they do good work and it's a good value.

bonestructure posted:

Nice! Odays are good boats. :)

Sailboats are like horses; it's not the initial investment that kills you, it's the maintenance and upkeep. Though if you have a daysailer and are going to trailer it instead of keep it in the water, that shouldn't be too bad.

This is really true. What I've come to realize is that it's not really the high individual cost of items - I've rarely been too sticker shocked by marine stuff individually, the issue with a boat is the number of things - lines, blocks, fittings, parts, sealants etc etc that need to be replaced/fixed/maintained. When I set out to rewire the entire boat I literally had to block out time to sit down and shop online, so many things had to be researched and purchased to get the job done. That's where the costs add up.

That said, the nice thing about sailboats is that they tend to age gracefully. Catastrophic failures of the mast/rig are possible but very rare. Generally things just slowly wear out and the individual cost of replacing things isn't too high. This is why sailboats last longer than motor boats - there is less likkely to be one item that fails where the owner decides to scrap the boat. Dacron sails basically last forever and can always be patched - they stretch out and performance suffers but unlike a motor boats things rarely quit altogether.

If you're stingy, and willing to take a bit of risk you can get away spending very little. If you're just sailing around the harbor you'll probably be safe even if something fails. So for example a family friend has a 25 footer (Cape Dory 25) that he paid $2k for 10 years ago. When I asked him what work he's done on it he scratched his head and couldn't come up with anything - literally. He doesn't cover it in winter or do anything other than a quick cleaning in the spring. The boat is slowly degrading but who cares? He still loves sailing it.

sharkytm posted:

I work on boats for a living too. I do a LOT of wiring work, and some other asst/ stuff.

For electronics: https://www.genuinedealz.com
Seriously.
Amazingly low prices, free shipping, and their "put ends on cables" service is insanely cheap. $1 for them to strip, crimp, and heatshrink terminals. This isn't necessary for small wiring (10-18 gauge), but it sure is awesome for battery terminals. I recently rewired out battery bank on our 26' aluminum research boat, and used all their wiring.

I bought the terminals, boots, and heatshrink. They did all the work, and sent me the extra heatshrink back.

Electrical was my project last year - I rewired the boat 100%. Above is the custom electrical panel I made - off the shelf ones were too large and had too few switches. I wanted LED's for every circuit, and a guage and a lighter outlet so I had to go that route. All the electrical is anchor or bluesea for the most part. Both make great stuff. I also redid the mast wiring and got LED nav and spreader lights. For me, lighting is my primary load so moving to LED's cut down my power use by about a factor of 4 which is a great thing. I also set up the cockpit lighter plug so it has a direct diode protected path to the battery so I leave a $30 solar panel plugged in while I'm gone.

Big Taint posted:

It's nice when you get the boat to the point where you can sail for a couple hours and nothing breaks. I spent yesterday installing a new faucet in the head.

The toilet also died recently, along with the y-valve to switch between discharging into the holding tank or directly overboard.

I also replaced the discharge hose from the toilet-->y-valve-->holding tank, they start to permeate after a while and the stink never goes away. I had a hell of a time getting the hose onto the tank fitting, until I remembered my badass heat gun. 30 seconds gently warming the end of the hose got it to slip on, no problem.

I hate working in the head.

Another project I'm in the middle of is replacing the old ugly wire lifelines with synthetic lines, it's my first time splicing so it's not going very fast but so far it looks great.

Fun, a brand new toilet is my project for this spring...not really looking forward too it. But my existing one actually leaks.

bolind posted:

Nice boat!

About the mildew: these days you can get a small solar powered fan, cut a hole somewhere, and mount it. Whenever there's a bit of sun, it'll ventilate the cabin, and some of the bigger ones will even heat up the air a bit before blowing it in. A friend of mine mounted one on his boat (similar to yours) and the cabin is next to smell-free these days.

Damprid packages also work decently.

bonestructure" posted:

Early fiberglass boats tend to have over-engineered hulls because no one was completely sure of marine tolerances, so the idea was just "build it extra-sturdy just in case." That's why there are so many of these vintage 80s sailboats still around. They were built to last, and last they have.

This is true. Fiberglass pretty much lasts forever. The history of the sailboat industry is somewhat interesting. Basically fiberglass sailboats came into existence in the late 50's. Fiberglass and its drastically reduced maintence really made boat ownership possible to lots of people for the first time. So there was a boom in boat production in the 60's and 70's. Because fiberglass boats never die (and sailboats especially) by the 80's boat builders started having a harder time competing with the used market. Combined with the financial crisis of the 80's this caused something of an extinction event in the boatbuilding industry in the late 80's. Tons of brands of great boats that are still on the used market all dissapeared - Pearson, Cape Dory, J.J. Taylor (Contessa), Tanzer to name just a few. In the 20-30 foot range through the 90's into today very few boats got built because there is no market for them.

Martytoof posted:

Forgot to mention, thanks for recommending This Old Boat. Picked up a copy just to thumb through and it's full of awesome little stuff :)

Can't wait until I own my own little money pit.

I can also second Don Casey and recommend Nigel Calder as well. Nigel is more technical - lots of detailed info on systems and Nigel has a great cruising guide which tells you how anchor properly, plan your trip, deal with heavy weather etc etc. As for magazines I really recommend Good Old Boat and Practical Sailor.

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I always assumed boat ownership would be prohibitively expensive. I'm talking like "cost of a house" expensive. But all the boats I'm ACTUALLY interested in tend to go for under 10k, and most are at or under the 5k mark. I'm not really interested in anything bigger than the mid 20s. For one, I don't think I need that much space since I'll be mostly running the ship single handed, or maybe (hopefully) with a cute girl

Other than that, I just find I tend to like the look and feel of small boats more. I mean I would probably be happy with a 32 footer or something, but realistically I think a nice 22 with a small gas galley, head, and padded sleepers would be ideal. I don't plan to live aboard or anything.

About the only thing I'm a little worried about are the recurring costs of boat ownership, such a mooring. I'm prepared for a haul out to be eye-popping, but I'm having some trouble getting even a ballpark estimate from everyone I ask about what their recurring seasonal costs come out to. Mostly because it varies from marina to marina.

I'll be doing a lot more research on this in the next year or so since it is my ten year plan to own a boat and sail the great lakes. Until then I'll have a great time living vicariously through you and the seasick pup

I had the same realization when I went on craigslist and saw how inexpensive boats could be (initially). For ~25' you're looking at ~1-2k for mooring/slip depending on location (slips are more obviously). I get a mooring in a major city for ~$2300 and ~1k to $1.5k for haul out and winter storage - it's not as bad as it might seem. Over winter I build a wooden frame and cover with a 20'x30' gray tarp weighted down with milk bottles or whatever else that cost $100. Shrink wrapping is pretty expensive, close to $1k. For smaller boats <25' you can look at trailer and if you can store at home that further cuts down expenses.

Martytoof posted:

Is bottom painting legitimately something you can tackle yourself?

How does that work if you have your boat up on stilts? Obviously you can't paint where it's stilted. Do you just paint most of the bottom except for those squares where the boat is sitting, then somehow ... move the boat ... and go through the same sand/prep/paint on those four or so areas or what?

I've watched a lot of youtube videos on fixing up sailboats (yeah I'm hooked on the weirdest poo poo) and I just can't understand this one thing.

Bottom painting is actually one of the easiest major things you can do to your boat. I did it one year but have since stored at a place that forces me to have them do it (to make up revenue). Otherwise I'd still be doing it. The sanding is the hard part, painting is easy and because it's under water you don't worry a lot about looks. Yes you move the stands or just don't worry about it where the stands cover it up.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

asdf32 posted:

And here are some pictures:

Beautiful boat and photos..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

God that second photo makes me want to sell everything, buy a boat, and be on it 24/7.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Martytoof posted:

God that second photo makes me want to sell everything, buy a boat, and be on it 24/7.

Do it, it's awesome.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

This thread is amazing and I hope it stays active. I was sitting around last night talking about how I wanted to get into sailing soon, and decided to search SA and of course this came up. The information here is great so far. For someone like me with literally no knowledge of sailing, is the "Sailing: A beginners Guide" by David Seidman the best book to start with then? I can't find many reviews about that particular book.

I was also looking at sailing courses locally, which are taught on 22-26' keelboats which seem to be what you're all talking about here.

I work within a mile or two of a few marinas and I look at those boats every day on my way in to the office and daydream. I can actually afford a boat (kind of) at this point in my life so the itch is getting really strong.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Sorry for the late reply but I just wanted to say that this is also a dream of mine when I'm older and have a bit more disposable income. I grew up racing dinghys (Optimists, P Class and briefly Starlings) but gave up when I was 15 but I figure sailing is just like riding a bike.

Keep up the great work! :)

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Sorry for the late reply but I just wanted to say that this is also a dream of mine when I'm older and have a bit more disposable income. I grew up racing dinghys (Optimists, P Class and briefly Starlings) but gave up when I was 15 but I figure sailing is just like riding a bike.

Keep up the great work! :)

Something must have happened this week in child sailors because I had the same twinge and had to find the goon sailing thread. My city has decent lakes for sailing, and I'll have residency in the real part next year so I'll be able to rent a buoy on the good lake. My plan for this year is to get out on other people's boats and hopefully remember enough of how I sailed that I don't get hit by the boom every time I tack.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
My mom had major surgery about six weeks ago and it didn't go as well as hoped (she's nearly eighty and has issues with anemia and her blood not clotting.) She was in ICU, then stepdown, and now she's in a critical care nursing facility. That's why I've sort of vanished off the face of the earth lately. I haven't even seen my boat in almost three weeks and I really miss it. :(

I'm really glad other folks are keeping the thread alive. I might not be able to post much for another couple of weeks, but I always make time to check the thread and enjoy everyone's pictures and boat talk. It's one of the few bright spots recently.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh man, that's not good. Thoughts are with you, bonestructure. We'll keep the thread warm for you whenever you make your return from more important things :ohdear:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

bonestructure posted:

My mom had major surgery about six weeks ago and it didn't go as well as hoped (she's nearly eighty and has issues with anemia and her blood not clotting.) She was in ICU, then stepdown, and now she's in a critical care nursing facility. That's why I've sort of vanished off the face of the earth lately. I haven't even seen my boat in almost three weeks and I really miss it. :(

I'm really glad other folks are keeping the thread alive. I might not be able to post much for another couple of weeks, but I always make time to check the thread and enjoy everyone's pictures and boat talk. It's one of the few bright spots recently.

Good luck to your mom, dude.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

sharkytm posted:

I love my job, and there's no way I could do it if I didn't.

Self-Quoting...
I'm changing jobs, still in the oceanographic community, but working for a manufacturer as a field tech.
I'll be making/repairing/troubleshooting/training on underwater robots from April 16th on.

Sorry to hear about your mom, the boat will wait. They always do...

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!

asdf32 posted:

Bottom painting is actually one of the easiest major things you can do to your boat. I did it one year but have since stored at a place that forces me to have them do it (to make up revenue). Otherwise I'd still be doing it. The sanding is the hard part, painting is easy and because it's under water you don't worry a lot about looks. Yes you move the stands or just don't worry about it where the stands cover it up.
Do you use a water blaster to get the scum and barnacles off? If the water blaster is of adequate psi there is no sanding required. Or just go over the bottom of the boat with a scouring pad. You do not want to sand antifoul, it's very very toxic.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

inspire posted:

Do you use a water blaster to get the scum and barnacles off? If the water blaster is of adequate psi there is no sanding required. Or just go over the bottom of the boat with a scouring pad. You do not want to sand antifoul, it's very very toxic.

Pressure washing is required by law here (I beieve) to prevent invasive species from moving around, so it's always done by the yard, but I don't think it does a lot to remove the paint. I also have a small preassure washer which does nothing to remove bottom paint. Ablative paint comes off easier (it's designed to slowly come off to maintain it's effectiveness) but eventually the paint inevitably builds up and a deep sanding is required. I sanded decently once but I'm sure I'll have to again sometime. I wish I had full respirator instead of just a mask when I did it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Always wear a full mask with particulate filter when sanding pretty much anything on a boat. Wear one when applying the new paint as well. In fact, the full Tyvek suit and some goggles are a great idea, too.

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!

asdf32 posted:

Pressure washing is required by law here (I beieve) to prevent invasive species from moving around, so it's always done by the yard, but I don't think it does a lot to remove the paint. I also have a small preassure washer which does nothing to remove bottom paint. Ablative paint comes off easier (it's designed to slowly come off to maintain it's effectiveness) but eventually the paint inevitably builds up and a deep sanding is required. I sanded decently once but I'm sure I'll have to again sometime. I wish I had full respirator instead of just a mask when I did it.
Why do you want to get all the paint off? Assuming its not chipping and flaking you can just paint right over it.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

inspire posted:

Why do you want to get all the paint off? Assuming its not chipping and flaking you can just paint right over it.

It just builds up and adds weight to the boat. Also, inevitably, it does chip and flake. Have you ever seen excess layers of paint on wood trim? Eventually you just want to strip it off and start from scratch. Looking around the boatyard you see a lot of boats with really thick paint and a very uneven bottom. It certainly doesn't do any good.

How are people doing with their boats? I'm in the process of replacing the head/plumbing, propeller, rudder pintles and gudgeons (previous two being done by the yard), and removing and resealing the chainplates, fixing the head door which has never closed, 25 other small tasks, and rebedding some deck hardware...poo poo I have a lot ahead of me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Does that count?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

sharkytm posted:

Does that count?
Is that a torpedo?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CopperHound posted:

Is that a torpedo?

If it is, it's the most expensive, least effective torpedo ever.

Its an AUV. A Remus 600 to be exact.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

sharkytm posted:

If it is, it's the most expensive, least effective torpedo ever.

Its an AUV. A Remus 600 to be exact.

One MK54 cost twice as much as the average Remus :spergin:

chemical_combat
Aug 21, 2003

Tell me your wish -- Take me to the moon!
What is that, some kind of wacky tow along ocean data collection phallus ?

PS, cool thread, hope your doing well/sorry to hear about your mother, goondolences

Also, 20 years out from cruising around the world in a liveaboard catamaran with my wife, we are at the "looking at pictures and videos and dreaming" stage of the process, we both already agreed that we would sell our house to do it to afford a nice one and would basically spend the next decade preparing. It may be feasible in 10 years time but more likely with my work it will probably have to wait until I am older.

I'd love to pick up a small sailboat like yours to get the basics down but the wife is kind of poo-pooing that idea for now, what is a good way to trick a wife into letting me cruise around the coast in a 1970's day sailer

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

front wing flexing posted:

One MK54 cost twice as much as the average Remus :spergin:

If you compare $/boom, the Remus still loses, or wins. Four knots, no boom...

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!

asdf32 posted:

It just builds up and adds weight to the boat. Also, inevitably, it does chip and flake. Have you ever seen excess layers of paint on wood trim? Eventually you just want to strip it off and start from scratch. Looking around the boatyard you see a lot of boats with really thick paint and a very uneven bottom. It certainly doesn't do any good.
Unless you're racing the weight/drag issue is miniscule. I wouldn't strip the paint off unless it had been painted every year for like, 15 years. Even then it wouldn't do much.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

inspire posted:

Unless you're racing the weight/drag issue is miniscule. I wouldn't strip the paint off unless it had been painted every year for like, 15 years. Even then it wouldn't do much.

It's been painted every year for 30+... but yeah, some quick math (~1/3 gallon bottom paint) suggests that weight isn't that big an issue. That said, the boat is over 30 years old and so are lots of others. Carrying around 10 gallons of paint isn't nothing. Add the drag issue in (from deep dimples and chips in thick paint), and I think it's true that a smooth bottom actually makes a difference, and it is just one thing of many things on the list that you try to get to once and a while.

And if for no other reason you want the bottom of the boat to look good for the same reason you want the teak woodwork and everything else to look decent - it's just the principle.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

chemical_combat posted:

I'd love to pick up a small sailboat like yours to get the basics down but the wife is kind of poo-pooing that idea for now, what is a good way to trick a wife into letting me cruise around the coast in a 1970's day sailer

1) Take, Big Taint's suggestion
2) Find a listing for a nice looking inexpensive boat and drag her down there to look at it. Don't mention upkeep/mooring/storage money/time.
3) Build one? It's not has hard as it seems. Or so I tell people, I havn't done it. Stitch and Glue. Jimmy Skiff.

Honestly if you're planning on doing that in the future it does make sense to get some boat experience.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

There are so many killer deals on 22-28 foot day-sailers out there, just troll CL/ebay till something local pops up that looks good to you. If you have a place to keep it where you live, a trailerable one can have a very low cost of ownership. Not counting the infinite potential for tinkering/repairing/upgrading.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I had $1500 to drop on a whim right now I would already own this: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/mss/boa/3787197654.html

Man, my desire to own a sailboat almost totally went away in the winter but now that it's spring it's back in like FULL. FORCE.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 6, 2013

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
I don't know how much experience you have sailing, but taking lessons at a local sailing club is an excellent way to get your feet wet, so to speak. I learned a great deal about handling a sailboat, anchoring, rules of the road, local navigational hazards, and so on, and had a great deal of inexpensive low-commitment fun doing so. The most important thing I learned about sailing was that I get very sea sick on anything larger than a dinghy out on the open ocean.

So much for that dream.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eccles posted:

I don't know how much experience you have sailing, but taking lessons at a local sailing club is an excellent way to get your feet wet, so to speak. I learned a great deal about handling a sailboat, anchoring, rules of the road, local navigational hazards, and so on, and had a great deal of inexpensive low-commitment fun doing so. The most important thing I learned about sailing was that I get very sea sick on anything larger than a dinghy out on the open ocean.

So much for that dream.

Oh yeah totally. There is a sailing course in Toronto that's like $600 and free rentals of their little dinghies all summer. I'm going to pay them a visit in a bit just to scope it out. I don't think I'll be able to justify dropping the $600 right now on another hobby since money is a little tighter than I'd like, but it's on my list of to-dos.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
McMaster has a sailing club that trains in the harbour. Membership was under 200 for a term.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wh-- :stare:

Gotta check this poo poo out, thank you! :swoon:

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

asdf32 posted:

3) Build one? It's not has hard as it seems. Or so I tell people, I havn't done it. Stitch and Glue. Jimmy Skiff.

Honestly if you're planning on doing that in the future it does make sense to get some boat experience.

I have done this. It's not nearly as hard as it seems.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Rockis Dukakis posted:

I have done this. It's not nearly as hard as it seems.

This demands pictures.

iv46vi posted:

McMaster has a sailing club that trains in the harbour. Membership was under 200 for a term.

McMaster? I read this while opening a McMaster order of stainless (316) screws/washers. McMaster is great for boat hardware.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
McMaster.CA a Canadian university on the shores of Lake Ontario.

• Locked thread