Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Author-Man posted:

Vanitas is such a hilariously over the top emo concept but they manage to do a good job of not going too overboard with it, like they did with the Nobodies in Kingdom Hearts 2.

On another note, the way they pronounce Vanitas really bugs me because it makes me remember the three years of High School Latin I took and everything I learned about pronunciation in that class screams at me "It's pronounced van-i-tahs, not va-nee-tus!" I know that it doesn't matter but it still annoys me.

Also, I totally didn't know you could set commands to shortcuts. Is that just Final Mix, or is that somewhere in the vanilla game too?

Yeah it's in this game, Re:coded and 3D. It lets you jump immediately to the set command by hitting left. Always do this with Cure. ALWAYS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

mastajake posted:

And that's not even him looking his most menacing. In fact, that's on the lower end of his spectrum.

Also I'm not sure you can criticize Terra for trusting him too much in the update where you meet the creepiest, most evil-looking good guy in the history of the world.

Yen Sid has just seen way too much poo poo to really be happy any of the time.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Honestly he's still mad about that one time Mickey stole his hat and flooded the place.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Glazius posted:

Yen Sid has just seen way too much poo poo to really be happy any of the time.

horroricane
Feb 26, 2012

time to be real
Opening this thread with the giant game case cover... you instantly get the feel of a game that's practically FF7 for a younger generation... oh but wait there is a hardcore Mickey Mouse in the lower right corner in dark robes in poo poo, probably going to get all serious about killing things and existential stuff you have no idea about but with gratuitous mention of love and friendship.

When Kingdom Hearts first came out, the game was like "You got Disney in my Final Fantasy!"... which now it seems that the Final Fantasy side has taken over more... I wonder how it'll play out in this game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

horroricane posted:

Opening this thread with the giant game case cover... you instantly get the feel of a game that's practically FF7 for a younger generation... oh but wait there is a hardcore Mickey Mouse in the lower right corner in dark robes in poo poo, probably going to get all serious about killing things and existential stuff you have no idea about but with gratuitous mention of love and friendship.

When Kingdom Hearts first came out, the game was like "You got Disney in my Final Fantasy!"... which now it seems that the Final Fantasy side has taken over more... I wonder how it'll play out in this game.

If you played any KH game after 1 then you already know how to answer this question :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think the big reason KH1 feels more Disney is because the Disney villains took more prominent roles in the plot. Otherwise it's pretty much the same hearts/light/darkness/friendship stuff being fed to us.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's actually Final Fantasy that's being influenced by Kingdom Hearts. I mean it's the only series they ever made that actually rivals FF in popularity (and it also happens to be the first time Nomura was directing).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

horroricane posted:

Which is pretty funny, considering the KH Originals are all actually Disney-owned, and SE has no claim on them.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Terper posted:

Which is pretty funny, considering the KH Originals are all actually Disney-owned, and SE has no claim on them.

Some of them can be found in some of the Disney Parks too, as these horrifying photos show.

Odd they don't market it more at Disney, considering that it's just a big fat paycheck for them to say "yeah, you can use these characters".

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Some of them can be found in some of the Disney Parks too, as these horrifying photos show.

Odd they don't market it more at Disney, considering that it's just a big fat paycheck for them to say "yeah, you can use these characters".

I went to the massive Disney Store in Times Square, and they didn't have a single KH item. I've seen some things here and there at Disneyland but nothing as terrifying as that. Hopefully I can go to Tokyo Disneyland some day and eat Sea Salt Ice Cream!!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I went to the massive Disney Store in Times Square, and they didn't have a single KH item. I've seen some things here and there at Disneyland but nothing as terrifying as that. Hopefully I can go to Tokyo Disneyland some day and eat Sea Salt Ice Cream!!

No lie, I actually kinda want to try that. It sounds like it has a half-decent chance of being delicious.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
I'm pretty sure Sea Salt Ice Cream was actually a thing before Kingdom Hearts 2, but then it was in Kingdom Hearts 2 and that sort of overshadowed everything else; you can't do a google search for the term without it being almost entirely Kingdom Hearts stuff.

You know, Disney, you could have, like, hired a guy and put a wig on him or something, like they do in the American Disney parks for characters like Aladdin or Cinderella.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The reason Sea Salt Ice Cream exists in KH is because Nomura loves the stuff. S yeah, it's real.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pureauthor posted:

The reason Sea Salt Ice Cream exists in KH is because Nomura loves the stuff. S yeah, it's real.

right, you can apparently get it at Tokyo Disney Sea and that's where he got the inspiration for it in the game

Duckbehindcover
Oct 21, 2010

Hold A to vault

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah that poo poo's tight. Sea salt ice cream is actually really tasty in real life, if you can find it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm about to fly to Europe for the next week. I prepared two updates (Radiant Garden is a two-parter) and am gonna try and upload them while I'm there. Hopefully I won't have to wait until November! After that, I'll be updating regularly again.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...
I'm guessing thats a no to the Metroid Prime vids. :( lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In today's update, Terra is ambushed by the people he least expected...

Disclaimer: that may not actually be what is happening in this picture

Terra Part 7-1: Radiant Garden Youtube (w/ Full Commentary)

I'm gonna upload the Blip.tv mirrors when I get back to the States.

NEW WORLD:

A beautiful, floral castle town that is brimming with life. The castle is home to Ansem the Wise, a benevolent ruler who is beloved by his subjects.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is getting SERIOUSLY meta with that Disney town pass.

And actually genuinely funny:
"He...Told me to take two adults."

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

The boss fight at the end is one of the best in the game, but I remember it giving me a really hard time during my first playthrough.

I guess that's what I get for choosing Critical difficulty after a few years of not playing a Kingdom Hearts game, though. :downs:

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

Magnega is the best way to deal with prize pods, I find. It tears through them like tissue paper, especially when combined with other commands while they're stuck in place.

I never noticed that thing about the Unversed having facial expressions. That's pretty neat!

Tigger may cheat, but he is not the worst offender when it comes to cheating at command boards. A good rule of thumb is that if there's more than one character besides you on the command board, one of them will be an idiot who always loses and the other will be a cheating fucker.

In Terra's defence, it's not his fault he keeps helping the bad guys. It's just that he has Kain-esque levels of susceptibility to mind control is all. I actually think that's a nice touch here; no one is really entirely in the wrong or in the right, and all of their actions make sense when you play the story from their perspective.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Author-Man posted:

Tigger may cheat, but he is not the worst offender when it comes to cheating at command boards. A good rule of thumb is that if there's more than one character besides you on the command board, one of them will be an idiot who always loses and the other will be a cheating fucker.

I'd say Tigger is top 2.
You can't stop me :suicide:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Author-Man posted:

no one is really entirely in the wrong or in the right, and all of their actions make sense when you play the story from their perspective.

Except for Mark Hamill sending a guy with the mental fortitude of a toddler to go confront evil without any supervision at all.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
You mean Van didn't run off on his own? I thought that's what Aqua said, that he ran off to look for Terra without anyone telling him to. ...Unless I'm missing something from another part of the story.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Charlett posted:

You mean Van didn't run off on his own? I thought that's what Aqua said, that he ran off to look for Terra without anyone telling him to. ...Unless I'm missing something from another part of the story.

I think he was talking about Terra.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

Except for Mark Hamill sending a guy with the mental fortitude of a toddler to go confront evil without any supervision at all.

You'd think part of his training would include classes on 'Detecting Evil 101'.

Edit: Of course, given that Eraqus is still chummy with the most Obviously Evil Dude ever, I guess Terra didn't have much to lean on in the way of guidance.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

Eraqus is really not very good at his job.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

whowhatwhere posted:

Well as we learned from the end of this video, Aqua was sent to keep an eye on Terra. We will learn a lot more about that later.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I have words I want to say about Aqua once we get to her side of the story.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Both Terra not being quite as stupid in the first few worlds and Eraqus at least telling Aqua to keep an eye on him are kind of moot points considering the rest of the game though. No one is going to believe it was just a hunting accident if you later go on a killing spree.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can you D-Link with the other Keyblade kids when they're right there fighting beside you?

It's pretty great to actually have allies with some muscle, either way.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Glazius posted:

Can you D-Link with the other Keyblade kids when they're right there fighting beside you?

It's pretty great to actually have allies with some muscle, either way.

I will totally try this when I get home, I hadn't even thought of that!

Anyway, on with today's update! This guy

This motherfucking guy

He rules. You will agree with me after watching this update.

Terra Part 7-2: Radiant Garden Youtube (w/ full commentary) (Blip coming soon)

NEW CHARACTER:

BRAIG: A suspicious man who seems to know a lot more than he is letting on. One thing is for sure, he has something to do with Xehanorts nefariousTOTALLY NOT EVIL plans.

See you guys back in the States

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The prequels were better-written and more believable than this game.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

the best character's introduction
YES. I love this guy. I was a bit disappointed, though, that of all the previous Organization members, BbS only really focused on a few of them, and of those guys, only really Xehanort and Braig. (Although it was probably better that way.)

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention this, but Terra's theme song (the one that kicks in around 14:57) is probably my absolute favorite song in the entire series. It's just so powerful and tragic.

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 28, 2012

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

Hell, I'd vote for Xehanort.

I always had trouble fighting Braig. Eventually, I figured out that the best way to beat him is to never attack directly. If you just keep your distance and reflect all of his attacks back at him, the fight becomes painfully easy. All you've gotta do is keep patient and you won't have any trouble.

And then Braig ends the fight by bunny hopping away. This game is so drat hard to take seriously sometimes.

Is it just me, or are the subtitles almost always wrong? I'm guessing that's a Final Mix thing? Or is it a problem with the translation patch?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

whowhatwhere posted:

The prequels were better-written and more believable than this game.

This game is the prequel.

Unless you meant the original console games, KH1 was handled the best I think, given that it hadn't introduced all the "story" the current games are trying to juggle.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
KH1 story works because of its simplicity. At its very heart (no pun intended), it's a very basic story of light vs darkness. The antagonists' plans are clear - both Disney and original, the protagonists' motivations are clear, and the plot is fairly straight forward.

The problem came about with SE thinking that the more "complex", a story is, the better and deeper it is. And it's that kind of thinking that makes the rest of the games in the series such a clusterfuck. Same for things like Dissidia, or the latest Final Fantasies, and their ilk - where they seem to believe that making something more obtuse, makes it a better story.

Anyway, this game does suffer somewhat from the usual things that prequels do, in that they have to ham-fistedly come up with explanations to explain the status quo of the games that comes chronologically after. On the other hand, they plain don't give a poo poo about even trying to make the pretense of Xehanort being anything other than a bad guy. And it's glorious :allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 27, 2012

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
So... Braig already has powers of Space before becoming a not-person. If I understand right, there are other characters like him in BBS too, right? Do they also already have their elemental affinities?

Oh, actually. Since KH1 made a really big deal of Light vs. Darkness, I guess you're not supposed to sensibly entertain the idea that a character can have both light and darkness in them and remain okay. Terra doesn't seem to be handling things so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

HoneyBoy posted:

This game is the prequel.

Unless you meant the original console games, KH1 was handled the best I think, given that it hadn't introduced all the "story" the current games are trying to juggle.

I was referring to the Star Wars prequels (which were mentioned in this episode), sorry.

• Locked thread