Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm building for Solo2 C Street Prepared. It's not going to be 100% legal, but I have no interest in doing national events in CSP (hello, $75k+ Miatas). The plan is to eventually cage and turbo it, and do something like NASA TT*. Or even PTE.

With the dash out, I figure it's going to be hella easy to replace the accelerator cable. Also misc cleaning and wiring crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Did you end up just buying that connector/bypass hose new from Mazda or did you find a used one? All the recommended parts sources that I've heard of don't have any.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Did you end up just buying that connector/bypass hose new from Mazda or did you find a used one? All the recommended parts sources that I've heard of don't have any.

That would make sense because the only donor vehicles would be wrecked cars with no AC. Nobody really reinstalls AC.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
New from Mazdaspeed; it was $17 or so. I need to seeing by Home Depot and but some rubber grommets for the new holes, should come or to sub-$4.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Fatcow helped me with some minor weight reductions today. You can see that the AC has been completely pulled in the pic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What kind of welding and whereabouts are you? If it's something I am capable of and you're in the northeast, I'm game.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
He's in NC, iirc.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, I'm in NC.

I'm spending some money today on more parts because I hate money (and possibly myself). The lower shift boot is torn, so a rebuild is in order. Going to also order a few slave cylinders, an exhaust blanket, and air intake bits.

Right now, the car is just carpets, suspension, brakes, steering gear, and a rear diff. :stare:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Whoa, weird: new edit/quote buttons.

Anyways, :negative: is my bank account

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I'll give you $20 to help out bro.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Does this mean I have to put FAT COW MOTORSPORTS all over my car?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Phone posted:

If you put a SAAB sticker on it, I'll send you $10.. and the sticker.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Phone posted:

I'd do that for free, I think.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

Phone posted:

Whoa, weird: new edit/quote buttons.

Anyways, :negative: is my bank account

This is when you really start debating whether it's better to have that total number or not. Right now we have like 6 Lemons spreadsheets from the various times we've totaled up. I will never look at the total of those 6. It's sometimes better to remain ignorant and hope you can afford it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Unbolted transmission from 1997 engine
Got rid of the charcoal canister
Swapped the CLT
Soldered in a new injector clip (yay 18 year old plastic)
Bolted back on the intake
Figured out the wiring for the coils.. I hope...
Cleaned off the tranny a bit
Did an oil change in the 2
Figured out the gift for my AI:SS santee
Was disgusted by the amount of grime/dirt/rustproofing on the subframe; it's pretty drat thick

I wanted to get a bit more done, but pulling off the clutch and flywheel will be easy-peasy.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Deceptor101 posted:

This is when you really start debating whether it's better to have that total number or not. Right now we have like 6 Lemons spreadsheets from the various times we've totaled up. I will never look at the total of those 6. It's sometimes better to remain ignorant and hope you can afford it.

My last estimate for 6 races including estimates on fuel and miscellaneous expenses was $21,000. Luckily fuel has been donated through pity as well as :siren: corporate sponsorship :siren:.

Phone if you need money let me buy your NAS !

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I PM'd you back. Freakin' Paypal me. :P

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Super Clean is the loving poo poo. I did round two of degreasing the transmission; it went more than well. I also installed the NB throttle cable which was an unexpected pain in the rear end. Miata.net folks are the biggest pussies on the planet and are quite unhelpful (unless if you want to know what year had the super limited edition Nardi wood trim with perpendicular grain), but nothing a screwdriver, mallet, and a set of helping hands couldn't fix.

Oh man, check out these weight savings :barf:

Pulled the fly and clutch, going to hit it with a brillo pad (like 2 streaks of blue)

Going to grab something to eat, then solder up the coils. :science:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

Miata.net folks are the biggest pussies on the planet and are quite unhelpful (unless if you want to know what year had the super limited edition Nardi wood trim with perpendicular grain), but nothing a screwdriver, mallet, and a set of helping hands couldn't fix.

Yeah, can't really depend on that forum. Although every once in a great while you get a response that actually helps from someone that isn't worried about getting their BBS wheels scuffed, which is in the minority of posters there.

I mostly use the search function.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Nice project Phone. I'll be following along. Good luck and try not to think about the dollars.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Looked at the rest of the expenses... :negative:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Opened a fortune cookie yesterday, it read

Fortune Cookie posted:

It is important to you that money is not important.

And then I bought some safety equipment, received some parts, did some work, messed with Discount Tire a bit. The biggest thing was getting a HUGE discount on safety stuff; thank you, Apex Performance.

Since the last time:

And the grand total is.... $8366.68. This is minus some misc parts that I still need to buy and any services that I will need in the immediate future. I'll probably brush $9k by the time it has a tag back on it permanently.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man I cannot wait until it's summer and I can put my 949s and RS3s on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
gently caress Momo hubs. That is all.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Phone posted:

do something like NASA TT*. Or even PTE.

Do this, do nothing but this, but do yourself a favor and never total up the cost to build it to PTE trim.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Savington posted:

Do this, do nothing but this, but do yourself a favor and never total up the cost to build it to PTE trim.

Can I do some form of work-study with you, but like work-drive instead.

I'm scared Savington... will you hold my CC for me?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Probably not a good idea.

Savington pops diffs like he runs a fetish website dedicated to it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phone posted:

installed the NB throttle cable

Didn't see anything with a real quick search, why put a NB cable in a NA car?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Use the NB throttle body vs the NA.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Phone posted:

Use the NB throttle body vs the NA.

Not knowing anything about Miatas, what is the difference here?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Left Ventricle posted:

Not knowing anything about Miatas, what is the difference here?

Bigger, designed for the engine, if I had to guess?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, he has an NB engine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

craig588 posted:

Yeah, he has an NB engine.

I forgot about this being a NB engine, everything makes sense now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The NA throttle body mates fine to an NB intake; however, I did it just as precautionary thing to make sure that it will fit.

Sometime next year I am probably going to replace the TB with the Skunk2 64mm to satisfy my need to spend money, have my TB whistle, and to hedge all bets on my engine grenading due to a TB failure.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Horray, more loving parts to buy.

Protip: don't buy a loving Momo hub unless your car doesn't have an airbag at all. The clockspring ribbon is SUPER easy to tear.

So now I have a broken clockspring and plastic poo poo all over the place from trying to dremel that dumb poo poo out.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Engine in.

Bought wrong size fuel hose, though.

poo poo.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Didn't see anything with a real quick search, why put a NB cable in a NA car?

Spacing between the cable bracket on the intake manifold and the throttle body is different on the NA vs the NB. You can build an adapter bracket to space the NA cable correctly, or you can just use the cable that matches the engine. The latter is much easier.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Phone posted:

Engine in.

Bought wrong size fuel hose, though.

poo poo.

I think 'Engine in.' deserves more celebration.

Hooray! :toot:

Did you take the requisite picture of you standing in the empty engine bay?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Alright kids, let's see if you can find at least 7 things that aren't supposed to be in the engine bay!

Click here for bigger pic

Mat_Drinks posted:

Did you take the requisite picture of you standing in the empty engine bay?

Nah, it was all gross and oily in there. And this isn't the first time the engine's been out. Gosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phone posted:

Alright kids, let's see if you can find at least 7 things that aren't supposed to be in the engine bay!

The air bag harness, the horn, the hood latch brace, the power steering reservoir, the headlight motor caps, the drivers side relay bracket, and the windshield washer reservoir. :colbert:

(Great build by the way)

craig588 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 13, 2013

• Locked thread